Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco outrageous price hikes

Options
  • 28-03-2012 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

I was in Tesco the other night and 2 items I normally buy have more than doubled in price. With this in mind I had a look at a few other items I normally buy and they too are slowly going up.

Tesco Chicken Kievs - they were all €1.79 less than 2 months back and on offer at 2 for €3. Then they slowly made their way to €1.99 for approx 1.5 months and now they are €2.20 each.

I also noticed the price of Pepsi and coke creeping up, they used to be in the region of €1.19-€1.21 and now they have gone up to €1.58. Of course when they go on sepecial offer the savings are much greater when in reality they are just ripping people off.

The biggest price hike I saw was a Tesco own brand Lemon Iced Madeira Cake, this is something I get a lot and it is normally in the region of €1.70. When I went in store the other day it was €4.60. That is almost triple the price, it is the same price online so not a store specific mistake. Are they for real?

(http://www.polyvore.com/tesco_lemon_iced_madeira_cake/thing?id=7827115)

Also Tesco soft cheese always in the .70c range is now more than doubled to €1.65.

THANK GOD I have an Aldi and Lidl close by. I normally use Tesco as a back up for things I cannot get in either of those. I hate shopping there but there is always something we need but this is just extortion!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

12 Pack 500 ml perthshire waters was 2.79 last week, this week 2.99

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hunglikeaflee

vicwatson wrote: »
    12 Pack 500 ml perthshire waters was 2.79 last week, this week 2.99

How is this a rip-off?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

Tescos is not a cheap retailer and these type of hikes are not unique to Tescos. I buy Huggies baby wipes in Dunnes and recently they went from 1.49eur to 3.03eur. I just started buying the Lidl ones which are fine but not as good. The price has gone back down to 1.49eur. It angers me though because although I am very careful when shopping sometimes you just don't have the time and you could easily throw 2 or 3 packs of wipes into the trolley and not realise you paid 9eur for them until you are at the till or worse, when you get home. Dunnes are also masters of putting special offer signs up and when you get to the till you realise it was (for example) the Denny's 130g crumbed ham pack and not the Denny's 130g deli ham pack even though the sign was actually under the item that was not on special offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

maddragon wrote: »
    Tescos is not a cheap retailer and these type of hikes are not unique to Tescos. I buy Huggies baby wipes in Dunnes and recently they went from 1.49eur to 3.03eur. I just started buying the Lidl ones which are fine but not as good. The price has gone back down to 1.49eur. It angers me though because although I am very careful when shopping sometimes you just don't have the time and you could easily throw 2 or 3 packs of wipes into the trolley and not realise you paid 9eur for them until you are at the till or worse, when you get home. Dunnes are also masters of putting special offer signs up and when you get to the till you realise it was (for example) the Denny's 130g crumbed ham pack and not the Denny's 130g deli ham pack even though the sign was actually under the item that was not on special offer.

This is something I HATE the most. It is so deceitful. I am a pretty cautious shopper but I have plenty of friends who would throw it in without even checking. I'm sure they are making a fortune from people like that. I hate feeling done by a retailer especially if its the likes of Tesco!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

I did my shopping today as well and noticed a lot of things have gone up .10-.20-.30....Fruit went up for sure, the bag of apples I buy are usually 2.99 (expensive I know, but I like them) they were on sale for 2.24 the last 2 weeks and today they were up to 3.15. Not a huge increase, but sneaky and I find things are creeping up here and there and it makes a big difference over a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Always the way, slowly increase the prices then a month or two later suddenly declare 25% or 50% off or a "permanent" price decrease, by then its a 10% decrease. Like unless you buy the same shopping basket every week or keep a wallet full of receipts most customers don't notice. If anyone cares to write an app for tracking say the top 300 supermarket prices I think you will make a fortune but prob get banned from the main supermarkets for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

Yes - definitely worth avoiding Tesco at all costs...

I left Tesco in 2010 and never looked back ever since. I initially had difficulty adjusting to Aldi but they are soooooo much cheaper than Tesco. Lidl aren't appealing because they are increasingly stocking big brand names (which most people don't want) and loosing their competitiveness. Tesco is a British food chain.

How is this a rip-off?

Where did I say it was a rip-off?

Read the thread title:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Read the name of the forum the thread was posted in. ;):pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

OP , my guess is that Tescos are putting up the prices , so in a few days ( 30 maybe ) they can declare how they have halved the price !!!

As always , it's buyer beware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Melendez wrote: »

Staying loyal to a brand is what they want you to do. Brands are just that, Brands. Many own brand or other brands are just as good esp in the non-food area. e.g. Aldi washing up liquid, voted beter than Fairy by Which magazine. Price = 79c
    Skopzz wrote: »
    Yes - definitely worth avoiding Tesco at all costs...

I left Tesco in 2010 and never looked back ever since. I initially had difficulty adjusting to Aldi but they are soooooo much cheaper than Tesco. Lidl aren't appealing because they are increasingly stocking big brand names (which most people don't want) and loosing their competitiveness. Tesco is a British food chain.
    Last year they EXPORTED €700m worth of Irish made goods to their UK & European stores. They also form part of many peopes pensions via market funds.
    On prices, play them at their game, don't be loyal to brands and you can get great value. Try buying 90% special offers. If something goes up in price, switch or buy it elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hunglikeaflee

vicwatson wrote: »
    Where did I say it was a rip-off?

Read the thread title:rolleyes:

You posted it in a forum called Rip Off Ireland.

Read the Forum title :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

How is this a rip-off?

Sure everything is a rig off now days.......

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I remember in some other thread somebody moaning about donuts going up 50% overnight:eek::rolleyes:, but left out the price since saying 50% sounded better than admitting they were ridiculously cheap and the 50% increase was still very good value.

Tesco have many items half price, I usually only buy whats on offer, you can check online before you go and show just offers in various departments. They are getting like pizza takeaway places now -half price IS normal price for many things, so if you are buying stuff with no on offer it could well be double what its worth. Some of tescos best value items are not advertised as offers, so people moan when these undeclared offers end.

Kathy22 wrote: »
    I also noticed the price of Pepsi and coke creeping up, they used to be in the region of €1.19-€1.21 and now they have gone up to €1.58. Of course when they go on sepecial offer the savings are much greater when in reality they are just ripping people off.
    1.19 is very cheap for 2L of pepsi, it is often not advertised as an offer but that does not mean its a normal RRP. 1.58 is still very cheap. Pepsi is 2.39 in superquinn http://www.superquinn.ie/shopping/Shopping/Search.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Originally Posted by Kathy22

Must be referring to the 500ml bottle, the 2l of both coke and pepsi have been above €1.99 since May 2009.

rubadub wrote: »
    I remember in some other thread somebody moaning about donuts going up 50% overnight:eek::rolleyes:, but left out the price since saying 50% sounded better than admitting they were ridiculously cheap and the 50% increase was still very good value.

Tesco have many items half price, I usually only buy whats on offer, you can check online before you go and show just offers in various departments. They are getting like pizza takeaway places now -half price IS normal price for many things, so if you are buying stuff with no on offer it could well be double what its worth. Some of tescos best value items are not advertised as offers, so people moan when these undeclared offers end.

1.19 is very cheap for 2L of pepsi, it is often not advertised as an offer but that does not mean its a normal RRP. 1.58 is still very cheap. Pepsi is 2.39 in superquinn http://www.superquinn.ie/shopping/Shopping/Search.aspx

Sorry I meant 2.19 and 2.58...my bad. Was in there tonight because I needed my Pepsi Max fix and knew 2l was on special in Tesco for the past week or so for 1.50. It is now gone up to a special offer of €1.75. Soon enough that special offer will be the original bloody price. :mad:

Read the name of the forum the thread was posted in.

I didn't start the thread:rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

Tesco can be a little cheeky with their Walkers crisps.

'Special offer' price is €1 for a few weeks. It goes up to €1.89 for another few weeks.

Nothing wrong with that as such - it's good to give the waistline a break ;) It also has to do with consumer law.

Went in yesterday to see the price is now up to €2.35. Ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Tescos prices go up and down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

rubadub wrote: »

No man you don't get it, it used to be 1.19 and now it's 1.58

Such a rip off!!!!!!!111

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Kathy22 wrote: »
    I was in Tesco the other night and 2 items I normally buy have more than doubled in price. With this in mind I had a look at a few other items I normally buy and they too are slowly going up.

Tesco Chicken Kievs - they were all €1.79 less than 2 months back and on offer at 2 for €3. Then they slowly made their way to €1.99 for approx 1.5 months and now they are €2.20 each.

The biggest price hike I saw was a Tesco own brand Lemon Iced Madeira Cake, this is something I get a lot and it is normally in the region of €1.70. When I went in store the other day it was €4.60. That is almost triple the price, it is the same price online so not a store specific mistake. Are they for real?

(http://www.polyvore.com/tesco_lemon_iced_madeira_cake/thing?id=7827115)

Also Tesco soft cheese always in the .70c range is now more than doubled to €1.65.

THANK GOD I have an Aldi and Lidl close by. I normally use Tesco as a back up for things I cannot get in either of those. I hate shopping there but there is always something we need but this is just extortion!!!!!!

How is going from €1.79 to €2.20 a doubling in price?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Walkers Crisps 6pack (150g) was €1.69 this time a year ago, then €1.89, then €1.99, then €2.15, now €2.35!
    I also noticed that Lidl used to have 400g blocks of cheese on offer for €1.42 last summer, now the cheapest on offer will be €2.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

Melendez wrote: »

(http://www.polyvore.com/tesco_lemon_...ing?id=7827115)

Also Tesco soft cheese always in the .70c range is now more bled to €1.65.

Incredible. People are in such a rush to sneer at other posters they don't have time to even read the post they are sneering at...
    No man you don't get it, it used to be 1.19 and now it's 1.58

Such a rip off!!!!!!!111

... or read a couple of posts down for the explanation to the post quoted.[/Quote]

thank you my thoughts exactly I never understand why people have to jump in and criticise without any contribution of a decent point. I was indeed referring yo the soft cheese and maderia cake of which i posted pictures to. In my opinion this is unjustified price hikes considering aldi and lidl both still sell at the 70c mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Why are you basing the value of a product on its previous price ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

for a 6 pack of 380ml lucozade tesco are charging €4.50 or 2 for €7, in dunnes you can get a 6 pack for €2.99, before xmas you could get a 6 pack lucozade in tesco for €2.50 so in the space of a few months it's gone up by €2 and it's €1.51 cheaper in dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Its a bit bizarre though, If you look in the Bargain alerts section theres a whole thread on Bargains in Tesco.

When that bargain no longer exists it ends up in the Rip off thread.

Supermarkets adjust their prices all the time and its not unique to Ireland.

Shop around !!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

Tesco have their own Facebook page, I suggest all disgruntled Boardsies have their spake on there as well and see what replies you get.

I got Barry's teabags last week at Tesco. Price had increased from €6.29 to €6.69 - 6% price increase. Put the question on Barry's Tea page and was told it was basically the cost of the tea in India and Kenya (but I'm still going to double check in Dunnes).

Shop in Aldi or Lidl, buy as little as you have to in Tesco and complain like the bejaysus when prices go up. It's the only way to whip them in shape ... possibly! And now I'm off for tea :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

fleabag wrote: »
    Tesco have their own Facebook page, I suggest all disgruntled Boardsies have their spake on there as well and see what replies you get.

I got Barry's teabags last week at Tesco. Price had increased from €6.29 to €6.69 - 6% price increase. Put the question on Barry's Tea page and was told it was basically the cost of the tea in India and Kenya (but I'm still going to double check in Dunnes).

Shop in Aldi or Lidl, buy as little as you have to in Tesco and complain like the bejaysus when prices go up. It's the only way to whip them in shape ... possibly! And now I'm off for tea :)

A lot of people wouldn't be bothered researching the prices in Dunnes, SuperValu etc. to see what they charge for a particular item. If a price goes up in Tesco, people naturally assume that Tesco is out to stitch them up. If I felt the need to moan about a Tesco price increase I'd make certain that I knew what the other contenders were charging before ranting about it on here.

Advertisement