Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco outrageous price hikes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Dawn Rider wrote: »
    Called into Tesco for a char grilled veg pizza, which was €1.59 last time I was there (about 2 months ago).

Saw it had gone up to €3.20!

Went to ALDI instead and bought some for €1.49 each

1.59 was probably a half price offer - in fact most definitely.

Instead of wasting time going to aldi, why didn't you just go to the next fridge and pick ut the pizza that was on special that week - pizza is ALWAYS on special.

This week its goodfellas, next week it will be tesco own brand, following week it will be dr otkers etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

There is always some icecream on special, crisps on special and cereal on special. Those are always bargains, got a 700g box of Rice Krispies (Kellogs) for about €2 a week or so ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Tesco Breadsticks were .99 cent for ages and went up to 1.59 in the last couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Ghaaaa.... Had to do a very early shopping so headed to Tesco as it was the only shop open at that time. Hadn't been there for a while as their prices have gone so dear. It's getting worse. The breads are so expensive I decided to give it a miss. When I went to Dunnes at lunch time, the breads were still the same price. What's going on??? :mad: La Brea breads are now 2.15, up from 1.99. Still 1.99 in Dunnes.

Out of curiosity, I checked the price of Kinder bars that had gone up quite a bit recently. Lo and behold, the 16 pack was back to 1.99€. Someone must be monitoring this thread. Well, the Kinder Bueno bars are still way dearer that other shops, if you read this can you put bring the price back down? :P
    They also had a lot of special offers that were quite attractive on the leaflets, however most were out of stock. The offers end tomorrow, so I guess there won't be any more before Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

€5.03 for 2.5 kilos of Irish potatoes in Tesco Express. Dear enough anyway, but then I notice further down the shelf that sweet potatoes imported from the US of A cost less per kilo??? Burning fossil fuels and customers...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

McCambridges bread 500g was €1.62 now €1.79
    Tesco value sliced carrots 300g was 25c now 27c - 10% increase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

GoAhead Yoghurt break snacks were €2.88, jumped 2 weeks ago to €4. Dunnes have them at 3 quid. £2.29 in UK http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=258746407 Some difference between Dunnes and Tesco IRL and also between Tesco IRL and Tesco UK. :)

gurramok wrote: »
    GoAhead Yoghurt break snacks were €2.88, jumped 2 weeks ago to €4. Dunnes have them at 3 quid. £2.29 in UK http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=258746407 Some difference between Dunnes and Tesco IRL and also between Tesco IRL and Tesco UK. :)

Who in their right mind would pay 4€ for that??? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Who in their right mind would pay 4€ for that??? :eek:

I dunno but i'm expecting Tesco in the near future here to reduce the price to above €2.88 and claim its a price drop!

Cadburys chocolate range 100g was €1.57 now €1.67

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

snubbleste wrote: »

But the 4 bar pack which is 154g is reduced to half price - €1.21. I only every buy whichever one is on offer, be it the multipack or the single bar, doesn't matter a jot to me (or a child who I may be giving it to) what the packaging is.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tesco Value UHT milk 1l was 75c now 79c
    Tesco value sliced carrots 300g was 25c now 27c
    :confused: really?

out·ra·geous
    /outˈrājəs/
    Adjective

Shockingly bad or excessive.
    Wildly exaggerated or improbable.

Synonyms
    shocking - scandalous.

You're right, I'm using this thread to post food price rises at Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Tesco value firelighters 30pk. Last week 92c today €1.45 :eek:. Tesco Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rangi

Tennants lager 500ml cans €20.00ea (€40.00/ltr), on tesco.ie

Hurry while stocks last! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Was buying my wife some Max Factor lip stick the other day. It was a Euro cheaper in the local chemist than in Tesco Extra!

When they are beaten by a chemist on price you know there is something seriously wrong with Tesco's pricing policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout

Was 1.75 since introduced/listed a few months ago.

This week it's 2.39, up 64 cent.

That's a 36.5% price rise.

The increased duty is about 10c.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

gurramok wrote: »

go ahead bars have been €3.50+ in tesco carlow forever, unless they're on offer @ €2 a pack or €4 for 2 packs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

also the aldi equiv are so much nicer, and they're always 1.99

Tesco unrefined caster sugar one kg, was 1.99€, now 2.69€. The Baggot street store still has it at 1.99€ (a few items seems to still be at the old prices in this shop for some reason, while they have increased in the Clarehall store)

• Advertisement

Tesco Everyday Value Dried Skimmed Milk 454G is €3.39 but is only £1.15 in the UK. Ridiculous mark-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Went up to Naas this morning to do some shopping in Tesco's as we nearly always like the shopping there. That is, until today: Always bought the 2 tray of fruit special of €3 a tray or €5 for 2 trays.

Now? 2 tray's gone up to €6....a full 20% increase.

Also had to wait about 35 minutes to start our check-out process at a cash register...while there must have been about twenty tills empty.

Thats it for us. Stay local from now on in Newbridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

i think they rely on the fact that you don't want to be embarrassed at the till or look mean or poor but it is time now to get over this and just refuse item and/or complain that the item seems to have been incorrectly labelled and so you thought another price was on this pack - i have just started to do this, they always take the product off your bill
    i have sometimes halted the process and asked them to check the price before ringing up to make sure it is on offer and then refused item if it is not - all quiet and polite as there is no need to be rude BUT it is important to make sure they realise people notice and will not put up with it - we simply cannot afford to

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

Tesco was doing cans of non-alcoholic lager for people unable to drink and it is now in fields in skibbereen in bottles BUT more than twice that price! Does anyone know any cheaper places dunmanway, skibbereen, bantry?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

i think they rely on the fact that you don't want to be embarrassed at the till or look mean or poor but it is time now to get over this and just refuse item and/or complain that the item seems to have been incorrectly labelled and so you thought another price was on this pack - i have just started to do this, they always take the product off your bill
    i have sometimes halted the process and asked them to check the price before ringing up to make sure it is on offer and then refused item if it is not - all quiet and polite as there is no need to be rude BUT it is important to make sure they realise people notice and will not put up with it - we simply cannot afford to

This is exactly what I do.

Sometimes I let the item go through, pay for it and then go to customer services and get double the price difference back.

It's not a lot of money. But, as they say 'Every Little Helps'! ;):D

Martini Rosatto 75cl was €4 for months. There was no special offer or anything. A few weeks ago it went up to €10.65! In Tesco Extra Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Herbal Essences 400 ml price increased from 4.89 EUR to 5.79 EUR. Shocking increase. Aldi here we come.

St Valentine menu for 2: 15€. Was 12.5€ last year

Nanazolie wrote: »
    St Valentine menu for 2: 15€. Was 12.5€ last year
    That's understandable as they have to use beef instead of horse this year.

• Advertisement

Mwhaaaa, I never tire of these horse jokes :D

Advertisement