Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco outrageous price hikes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

There's multitudes of products I could mention on here, but a funny one I noticed this morning was their Tesco Baguettes (French Sticks whatever). As anyone who frequents Tesco probably knows, these have been going at €1 a pop for a few years now. This morning I noticed that they have a new label saying that they are actually €1.10 each, but are currently on special for €1!!!

You gotta love them;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    There's multitudes of products I could mention on here, but a funny one I noticed this morning was their Tesco Baguettes (French Sticks whatever). As anyone who frequents Tesco probably knows, these have been going at €1 a pop for a few years now. This morning I noticed that they have a new label saying that they are actually €1.10 each, but are currently on special for €1!!!

You gotta love them;)

Classic Tesco misleading trick. Hike price, but cut price back to original price for a short period to mislead people into thinking they are getting a bargain and get them used to the new hiked price at the same time. Disgusting marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

My local Tesco have a big sign up on the way in referring to a number of half price products. Tonight, I noticed that a 20pk of Youngs Fish Fingers (100% fillet) were (according to the sign, half price). Thinks me to myself, that could be tasty (late home, tired and haven't had a fish finger sambo in yrs). Could I find them, no, but I did find them at a rather staggering €5.79 for 20. A quick google at home and it turns out that they are half price, in the UK (£2 a pop).

Tesco, you gotta love them, eh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

The label on the shelf could have been the old one. Why didn't you bring them to the register have them scan the finger in and point out that they're supposed to he half price if they scan in at full price?

Or do like some others here, pay for them and go get double your money back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

My last tesco shopping with about 50 items had a few issues:D
    1. Several items out of stock, on a tuesday. Rarely happens in Aldi
    2. Several items with very short dates, not listed on the sheet.
    3. Tesco Bananas, 2/5 were bruised so much i had to throw them out.
    4. Tesco 1kg Onions were soft and smelly so I threw them out.
    5. Tesco Easy peelers advertised as 600grams but only weigh 500grams
    6. Tesco leeks were more like spring onions.
    7. Yoghurts, one pack of 4 dated 4th April, the other dated 28th March.
    8. Toilet rolls are poor quality and lack substance(but not for long:D)
    THey refunded me €5.99 but couldn't even get that right as it should have been €6.47, but I'm not bothered getting back on to them as the hassle of getting it put right will cost more in grey hairs than it would ever recoup!

They have obviously reduced the quality of most goods in the Tesco range as well as increasing prices and those "everyday Value" items are pure muck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

foggy_lad wrote: »
    My last tesco shopping with about 50 items had a few issues:D
    1. Several items out of stock, on a tuesday. Rarely happens in Aldi
    2. Several items with very short dates, not listed on the sheet.
    3. Tesco Bananas, 2/5 were bruised so much i had to throw them out.
    4. Tesco 1kg Onions were soft and smelly so I threw them out.
    5. Tesco Easy peelers advertised as 600grams but only weigh 500grams
    6. Tesco leeks were more like spring onions.
    7. Yoghurts, one pack of 4 dated 4th April, the other dated 28th March.
    8. Toilet rolls are poor quality and lack substance(but not for long:D)
    THey refunded me €5.99 but couldn't even get that right as it should have been €6.47, but I'm not bothered getting back on to them as the hassle of getting it put right will cost more in grey hairs than it would ever recoup!

They have obviously reduced the quality of most goods in the Tesco range as well as increasing prices and those "everyday Value" items are pure muck!

Have you tried the entire Everday Value range?
    You can't make a sweeping statement like that. There's nothing wrong with their tinned tomatoes, sugar, milk, flour, for example and I'm sure there's plenty of people buying other products from the range that they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

fussyonion wrote: »
    nothing wrong with their tinned tomatoes, sugar, milk, flour,

No horse in those Everyday products?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

fussyonion wrote: »
    Have you tried the entire Everday Value range?
    You can't make a sweeping statement like that. There's nothing wrong with their tinned tomatoes, sugar, milk, flour,
    +1, the flour is 100% flour, tesco standard flour has additives. I imagine the sugar is the exact same, and chicken fillets. Tesco cheapo basmati rice is grand.

Tesco also have lots of "semi-phantom" brands, i.e. brands not blatantly branded as tesco, but in fine print on the back. (proper phantom brands would not mention it was tesco at all.)

These items are usually a lot better quality than the value range, and often better than the standard brand, but priced in between the 2.

I know this is slightly off topic, but just a heads up on Tesco Everyday Value Cocoa Powder.

IT'S VILE.

My Mum made chocolate fairycakes last night and they turned out a horrible shade of brown, all speckly and bleh looking.
    They tasted nothing like chocolate and there was no info on the back to say what quantity of cocoa was in it.

So I agree not ALL the range is perfect. Definitely would buy brand name cocoa in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Have to agree with previous comments re price hikes. Tesco Free From Chocolate cake (ok, its's a luxury item, but a treat) up 40c in one week from €5 to €5.40. I don't think so, be making my own from now on. The Everyday Value washing powder is great, but I wouldn't use it on delicate fabrics.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

While I've noticed a few price increases, mostly in the bakery section - I've found some decreases too. Tesco smoked streaky rashers, used to be €2.00, went up to €2.20 maybe a year ago - are now selling at €1.59. Regular white SEL. Same with drummer firelighters, a box of 80 used to be €3.99, or €3.69. Even my local discount store used to do 2 packs for €6. At the moment they're only €2.65 per box. Again, just a white SEL, not on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I needed a particular product and was taken aback when I went to pay..

TCP Liquid Antiseptic 100ml bottle now over €5 in Tesco. If you shop around, the price is typically under €3.

EDIT: The toiletries aisle seems to be a minefield with them lately, you really have to pay attention or Tesco will fleece you.

Bars of soap, anything 'branded' seems to have had their prices tweaked upwards.

Saw a 4-pack of TicTacs today. On the shelf it said "€1.00, save €1.06".
    LIES!

4-packs of TicTacs have always been €1.10 in Tesco and I should know 'cos I buy them regularly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tesco Value food wrap 57c (60p/70c in UK)
    shhh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

Used to buy Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner for 3.49 I think (could be few cents less/more) .. around 6 weeks ago it was on offer for 2.49 so I bought maybe 10 (use it a lot not only for oven).

Now? €4.99

One day I saw it for 3.49, next day it was 4.99.

That is over 40% price increase. I understand that they have to increase and decrease some prices over time .. but 40% within 1 day? Not ok!

Just found it online at buyersclub.ie with :

Our Price: €2.49
    Expect to pay elsewhere (RRP): €2.70

Not at Tesco, 4.99!!

(http://www.buyersclub.ie/mr-muscle-oven-cleaner)

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Kinder bars, 16: from 1.99€ to 2.95€. I sent a message to Tesco, will see how they explain that increase

On the other hand, a lot of their fruits and vegs have gone down greatly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Tesco Cocktail sausages were 1.32 in October, jumped to 1.80 in November and were back down to 1.50 last week with a big sticker on the pack saying *great lower prices*.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Tesco own brand 2Litre milk up from 1.50 to 2 euro :eek: (well it was on my receipt!)

Everywhere else has the price still around 1.50. Milk is basic and a common product, Tesco want to be careful or they will alienate more customers.

gurramok wrote: »
    Tesco own brand 2Litre milk up from 1.50 to 2 euro :eek: (well it was on my receipt!)

Everywhere else has the price still around 1.50. Milk is basic and a common product, Tesco want to be careful or they will alienate more customers.

The price on the website is 1.49€

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

gurramok wrote: »

Are you sure you didn't accidentally pick up on of the branded milks ?

It's still 1.49 in our local Tesco

• Advertisement

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Are you sure you didn't accidentally pick up on of the branded milks ?

It's still 1.49 in our local Tesco

I'm sure. I went back in today to check and yes its still 1.49 displayed. I must have been overcharged at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,369 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

You sure you didn't get the 3 litre container?

You sure you didn't get the 3 litre container?

I bought two 2Litre containers on Saturday, came to 4 euro. It was part of a bigger shop so didn't notice it till Sunday when I checked the receipt, I guess it pays to pay attention to your receipt before you leave the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MiseryMary

Tesco,Dunnes,Superquinn,Aldi,Lidl, etc these are businesses out to make money and profit at the end of the day trying to lure customers with great offers half price cheap bargain stuff , Me I shop around I don't buy my week groceries in the one store,What I hate are the Gimmicks to try to make people to spend out more money in order to get a certain offers or item in the shopping and some people haven't got time to shop around in many stores and just get their stuff in the one ,this one store can go up or down in prices what ever offer is on certain items at the time . Places should cut out the bull**** gimmicks offers, moving stuff around to confuse people , misleading labels and rip off prices.

MiseryMary wrote: »
    Places should cut out the bull**** gimmicks offers, moving stuff around to confuse people , misleading labels and rip off prices.

But then they would not make huge profits, would they? :p

It pays to complain.... I sent a message through FB since the feedback link on Tesco.ie was down, and received the following:

Thanks for getting in touch, good news, tomorrow we will lower the price back to the original price of 1.99.
    I hope this helps,
    Stuart - Customer Care

They still made pretty hefty profits from this pricing error in the last few days. But it's not the first time it happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Kinder bars, 16: from 1.99€ to 2.95€. I sent a message to Tesco, will see how they explain that increase

On the other hand, a lot of their fruits and vegs have gone down greatly

Gone down in quality in a big way! the fruit and veg is half rotten when delivered and dates are very short.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I agree, foggylad, one of the things I liked about Tesco was the quality of fruit and veg. I notice some of the f+v team redeployed in other areas of the store, maybe that accounts for the fall in quality.

Their bananas do be good, thats a positive :)

On any stock, I notice the prices do be different dependent on the store as I do shop in Finglas and Omni, Santry. For example orange juice and ready meals tend be set at different prices in both stores at the same time!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

snubbleste wrote: »
    Tesco wine gums 250g was 56c, now 59c. An increase of 5%
    Price went down to 57c at some point and this week has risen to €1.00

Advertisement