Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco outrageous price hikes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

madmaggie wrote: »
    I agree, foggylad, one of the things I liked about Tesco was the quality of fruit and veg. I notice some of the f+v team redeployed in other areas of the store, maybe that accounts for the fall in quality.
    They are buying cheaper fruit n veg which wont last as long and is riper so bruises much easier and the bananas are ok but can arrive with 2 out of 5 bruised beyond eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

gurramok wrote: »
    Their bananas do be good, thats a positive :)

On any stock, I notice the prices do be different dependent on the store as I do shop in Finglas and Omni, Santry. For example orange juice and ready meals tend be set at different prices in both stores at the same time!

Massive differences between stores. The 3 I use frequently (Marino, Drumcondra and Parnell St) have huge disparities on pricing. Surprisingly its the Marino one that's off the wall with the pricing discrepancies - everything in there is at least 25% more expensive than anywhere else. Baffles me because, lets be honest, Marino isn't exactly Knightsbridge or Kensington.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ACTurbo

Havent read all of the thread but definitely agree that prices are going up, and usually in a sneaky way
    When Tesco, Dunnes and Superquinn advertise a shopping list of stuff that is the same price in all three stores you can see lots of things not on this list which are going up all of the time.

I agree with previous poster that Coke and other such are going up a lot in a short space of time. In the past few months the special offers are not there either , probably because there are only 2 real suppliers, Coke (who do Coke and Fanta) and Britvic (who do Pepsi and 7 Up and Club Orange) and they are probably finding that they are being squeezed so much for these special offers by Tesco but it makes no long term sense for them and disrupts their supply chain terribly (they sell a ton of stuff at a lower price when the offer is on and then sell nothing for ages)

Another thing that annoyed me recently in Tesco was the dozen cooked cocktail sausages which my kids like for a treat sometimes. Went from 1.20 to 1.40 overnight, 17% inflation in an instant !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ACTurbo wrote: »
    Went from 1.20 to 1.40 overnight, 17% inflation in an instant !
    If you were a pricing manager in tesco how many incremental stages would you have done this 20cent increase in. 3-4 maybe?, would you have signs up warning about imminent price increases etc? All of which cost money, as would data entry and making new shelf labels etc.

Many offers are not advertised as such, and when they go up people whine about "overnight increases of X%", usually since the percentage sounds more impressive.

Just checking & chicken dippers are back at €1.89 now, they were €1.39 for a while and it was not highlighted as an offer. It did come up in bargain alerts.

Tesco caster sugar is unusually cheap at 1kg for €1.09 now (500g tesco is 95cent), it is not highlighted as an offer. In another thread a guy said this could be to match aldi's price. So tesco might be selling at a loss or low profit and not want to actual sell many, but rather just prevent aldi doing a price comparison.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

rubadub wrote: »
    Just checking & chicken dippers are back at €1.89 now, they were €1.39 for a while and it was not highlighted as an offer. It did come up in bargain alerts.
    I got some for €1.39 yesterday even though the website said €1.89

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    I got some for €1.39 yesterday even though the website said €1.89
    I stocked up myself a few days ago, I went to search online expecting to see 1.39, show there is no offer mentioned but warn there would probably be an increase soon.

I see it was your good self who mentioned it in bargain alerts a while ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MiseryMary

I was just wondering whats happening with tescos and the baby milk thing? I was in ardkeens tesco today and I went to get pampers, babyfood and I notice a sign on the shelves for baby milk 2 per customer on it, so why is that does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

MiseryMary wrote: »
    I was just wondering whats happening with tescos and the baby milk thing? I was in ardkeens tesco today and I went to get pampers, babyfood and I notice a sign on the shelves for baby milk 2 per customer on it, so why is that does anyone know?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22088977

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

McCambridges bread 500g was €1.62 now €1.79
    Tesco value sliced carrots 300g was 25c now 27c - 10% increase

The greatest price hike in history id say.....

lala88 wrote: »
    The greatest price hike in history id say.....
    Every little hurts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Tesco own brand Pink and White Marshmallows.

Started off at 65c about a year ago when they were introduced

Subsequently rose to 89c per bag

Today I see they are €1.00 a bag :eek::eek:

Go take a run and jump Tesco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

anyone see there own brand firelighters go from 97c to 1.49 thats a big hike

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ACTurbo

:eek:
    If you were a pricing manager in tesco how many incremental stages would you have done this 20cent increase in. 3-4 maybe?, would you have signs up warning about imminent price increases etc? All of which cost money, as would data entry and making new shelf labels etc.

Many offers are not advertised as such, and when they go up people whine about "overnight increases of X%", usually since the percentage sounds more impressive.

IMO if its not advertised as an offer then its not an offer. Its the "Normal" price". Given that inflation is of the order of 1-2% then a 17% increase in one fell swoop is ,again in my opinion, outrageous. Tesco and their ilk are continuously ripping us off, moving prices up and down on a daily basis to maintain confusion and reduce transparency , never mind refusing to state how much their Irish business makes etc and because they have succeeded over the years in driving our competition we as consumers have little choice but to suck it up and buy from the 3 or 4 big multiples

a 17% increase in one fell swoop is ,again in my opinion, outrageous.
    So can you answer the question below? when does it cease to be outrageous?
    If you were a pricing manager in tesco how many incremental stages would you have done this 20cent increase in. 3-4 maybe?, would you have signs up warning about imminent price increases etc?

IMO if its not advertised as an offer then its not an offer. Its the "Normal" price".
    We will just have to agree to disagree then, you might be missing out on some great value though, and not realise when to stock up. I see lots of people blindly falling for what I consider bad value items, simply because they DO see an offer sign up, I like these people since its how tesco can afford to sell other stuff so cheap, which I avail of. If there IS an offer sign up do you consider it an offer, regardless of price?

The chicken dippers I mentioned were 1.89 for well over a year or so, then dropped to 1.39 for a few weeks, then back to 1.89 (online anyway). So by your definitions 1.39 was the "normal price", and you probably think the 36% increase is beyond outrageous, especially since it happened overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

They are suffering from on it though if you look at the latest market share figures - Tesco have been hit.

I'd put some of it down to these hikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

I have found recently that the bargain bags of fruit and vedg. everywhere contain much less - in some cases I think it works out to be more expensive! I get those from Aldi now as they seem not only to have the bargain tempters (4 or 5 items) for around 49c but they are a good size mostly and, importantly good quality.
    I find a good price on biscuits and cereals too (for a few plain items) and I do check the fat, sugar and salt content - very good indeed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Tesco thin bleach. Was 65cent now €1.19

Yawns wrote: »
    Tesco thin bleach. Was 65c now €1.19
    That's insane! It's still 29p in the UK

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Still 65 cent in SV afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Rooster potatoes on special offer on the aisle end, 2.5kg, 2 packs for €6. In the veg aisle 5kg roosters €5.49! Not the first time I seen that. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

madmaggie wrote: »
    Rooster potatoes on special offer on the aisle end, 2.5kg, 2 packs for €6. In the veg aisle 5kg roosters €5.49! Not the first time I seen that. :rolleyes:

Also noticed this gimmick a few days ago in the Newbridge branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Tesco Antibacterial Surface Spray was ALWAYS 85cent and today it's gone up to €1.79.

It's real sneaky cos they reckon nobody will notice, but I'm buying it over a year now and that's a big jump.

I've emailed them and we'll see what they say; will report back.

fussyonion wrote: »
    Tesco Antibacterial Surface Spray was ALWAYS 85cent and today it's gone up to €1.79.

It's real sneaky cos they reckon nobody will notice, but I'm buying it over a year now and that's a big jump.

I've emailed them and we'll see what they say; will report back.

Why do you think they reckon no one will notice?

Why do you think they reckon no one will notice?
    Because they're increasing prices and customers are not complaining in a constructive manner to them.

Because they're increasing prices and customers are not complaining in a constructive manner to them.

By not purchasing it you are giving them all the notice they need. The clubcard system is actually incredibly intuitive, if there is something you buy frequently and then stop they will often send you out a voucher for it in your points mailing to get you back on the wagon.

I dont really know how constructive a complaint actually is based simply on the fact that they have decided to up the price of a product- i mean they are a retailer and know full well what the implication of a price increase is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

By not purchasing it you are giving them all the notice they need. The clubcard system is actually incredibly intuitive, if there is something you buy frequently and then stop they will often send you out a voucher for it in your points mailing to get you back on the wagon.

I dont really know how constructive a complaint actually is based simply on the fact that they have decided to up the price of a product- i mean they are a retailer and know full well what the implication of a price increase is.

Wrong.
    I've never been sent vouchers for products I frequently buy.
    I get the vouchers and they're all for things I NEVER buy.
    Discussed this last week with my neighbour and she said the same thing.

And regarding your "why do you think nobody will notice?" comment, they don't think you'll notice cos it's probably something you always pop in the trolley, something you've always bought at that price so you won't think of looking at the price on the shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I'm going to print out my 'usuals' list from Tesco internet shopping, bring it with me to Aldi, and do a price comparison. I know Aldi don't stock many branded items, but I still expect to be surprised. Price rises of 5 to 10c you could just about take, but 50c to over €1, no way. I've been shopping with Tesco since they came to Ireland, but I think it's time to say goodbye. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Worked for the company that produces the tea for Aldi and its the 2nd from top tea. Also know the chicken they have is the top quality. They buy in huge quantities so they get the best stuff

I disagree.
    Customers need to complain in a constructive manner to Tesco HQ, enquiring why the price of a good has gone up by X and pointing out that the competitor sells it for less. Then go shop in the other store. It reinforces the message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭ei9go

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Are you sure you didn't accidentally pick up on of the branded milks ?

It's still 1.49 in our local Tesco

In Waterford, there's a small shop on the Cork Road just next to entrance to Woodies and mcDonalds.

Every Tuesday, 2L milk , normal and low fat is 1.00 Euro and the rest of the time, it's 1.25.

Advertisement