Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco outrageous price hikes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

snubbleste wrote: »
    I disagree.
    Customers need to complain in a constructive manner to Tesco HQ, enquiring why the price of a good has gone up by X and pointing out that the competitor sells it for less. Then go shop in the other store. It reinforces the message.

I don't think Tesco give a fiddler's about their customers opinions. Try emailing them , there is no email link for 'Tesco on-line' :P only a UK phone no. (they say 'calls for ROI landlines free', but are charged if you use a mobile !)
    I was looking on their website for locations in the UK /IRL, I put in (London) W1A 4WW and got a Tesco on the Scottish borders, and I put in Arklow here to be told there was a petrol station there, which there wasn't as far as I could see :mad: There are different types of Tesco - Metro, Express, Extra but their website doesn't differentiate what each one carries. The Arklow 'Extra' reminds me of Tesco-Lotus in Thailand , everything except the kitchen sink in it ;)http://www.tescolotus.com/home.php?lang=en
    Also, their price cards on the shelves are misleading - I saw Druids cider 4 pack marked €6 (4x500ml=2L) and in small print €12/1L !!!!! (it's actually €3/1L !), other pricing goofs are €xx/2kg = €xx/lb or €xx/ml=€xx/gr. Mentioned it to managers who have done/can't do nothing in the interveaning months :(
    NONE of the chains from Tesco to Lidl actually respond to their customers complaints properly - though they will swop stuff with a reciept :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I mentioned a page or two back that Tesco Antibacterial Surface Spray had gone up from 85cent to €1.79.
    I emailed them to tell them I was disappointed the price had shot up and that it had been 85cent for a long time and this was their response:

Thank you for contacting us. I was sorry to learn that you are disappointed with the recent price increase of Tesco Antibacterial Surface Spray in our store and I appreciate your views.

Prices do fluctuate both upwards and downwards in the retail world; however, nobody has done more than Tesco to bring down prices in Ireland this year. Our recent price reduction programme, which has redefined our pricing model to significantly lower levels, has been the catalyst for other retailers to follow suit.

Regrettably, some price increases are often out with our control. We do try to hold these back as long as possible, because our aim is to offer our customers the best service, quality and value for money that we can.

Our buyers work very hard to negotiate the best prices available. When we do obtain any price reductions, we pass them on to our customers immediately.

I hope this has reassured you and I would like to thank you for your comments.

Kind regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

how bad is tesco?

awful 'cheap' food

hardly any real bargains

misleading prices

that's been my experience on a few visits

way behind aldi and not even on a par with svalu is my verdict

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

My Pet Hate is descriptions like large chicken fillets...what is large? 100g 200g 300g???.

I was in Tesco's on Saturday, they had "Extra Large" Cauliflowers reduced from €2.49 to €2.00. I decided to weigh the biggest looking one there, it was 820g.

I then went to Dunnes Stores, the had "Cauliflowers" for €1.49, it weighed 1200g, nearly 50% bigger than Tesco Extra Large Cauliflower.

Dunnes are equally as bad, had a 4 pack of Tuna marked extra value, I cant recall exact price, anyhow it worked a lot more than 4 individual packs of Tuna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

my pet hate is the stickers all over the place showing the price reductions

making it appear like these are the actual prices

like wtf

anyhow i won't be a customer adios tesco

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

Kathy22 wrote: »
    I was in Tesco the other night and 2 items I normally buy have more than doubled in price. With this in mind I had a look at a few other items I normally buy and they too are slowly going up.

Tesco Chicken Kievs - they were all €1.79 less than 2 months back and on offer at 2 for €3. Then they slowly made their way to €1.99 for approx 1.5 months and now they are €2.20 each.

I also noticed the price of Pepsi and coke creeping up, they used to be in the region of €1.19-€1.21 and now they have gone up to €1.58. Of course when they go on sepecial offer the savings are much greater when in reality they are just ripping people off.

The biggest price hike I saw was a Tesco own brand Lemon Iced Madeira Cake, this is something I get a lot and it is normally in the region of €1.70. When I went in store the other day it was €4.60. That is almost triple the price, it is the same price online so not a store specific mistake. Are they for real?

(http://www.polyvore.com/tesco_lemon_iced_madeira_cake/thing?id=7827115)

Also Tesco soft cheese always in the .70c range is now more than doubled to €1.65.

THANK GOD I have an Aldi and Lidl close by. I normally use Tesco as a back up for things I cannot get in either of those. I hate shopping there but there is always something we need but this is just extortion!!!!!!

Own brand items are sold at cost near launch to build a fan-base
    Cost for a company like tesco who mass produce/sell is very little compared to market value.They will slowly raise it to 80% of the leading brands item price.

As for pepsi/coke being overpriced at 1.50-1.60 it is 2.80-3.50 in most shops

Also everything you listed is very bad nutrition wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

fussyonion wrote: »
    I mentioned a page or two back that Tesco Antibacterial Surface Spray had gone up from 85cent to €1.79.
    I emailed them to tell them I was disappointed the price had shot up and that it had been 85cent for a long time and this was their response:

Thank you for contacting us. I was sorry to learn that you are disappointed with the recent price increase of Tesco Antibacterial Surface Spray in our store and I appreciate your views.

Prices do fluctuate both upwards and downwards in the retail world; however, nobody has done more than Tesco to bring down prices in Ireland this year. Our recent price reduction programme, which has redefined our pricing model to significantly lower levels, has been the catalyst for other retailers to follow suit.

Regrettably, some price increases are often out with our control. We do try to hold these back as long as possible, because our aim is to offer our customers the best service, quality and value for money that we can.

Our buyers work very hard to negotiate the best prices available. When we do obtain any price reductions, we pass them on to our customers immediately.

I hope this has reassured you and I would like to thank you for your comments.

Kind regards

They must have the same PR as Ryan Air's :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

snubbleste wrote:
    Tesco wine gums 250g was 56c, now 59c. An increase of 5%
    snubbleste wrote:
    Price went down to 57c at some point and this week has risen to €1.00
    Now back down to 57c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Looking up washing powder prices just now on tesco.ie, Everday Value 30 wash 3kg is €2.69, 90c per kg. A 'cheaper alternative' is Daz 10 wash 680g at €2.50, €3.68 per kg. I'm not exactly mathematically gifted, but how is €3.68 cheaper than 90c, or were they hoping people wouldn't notice that part??

ei9go wrote: »
    In Waterford, there's a small shop on the Cork Road just next to entrance to Woodies and mcDonalds.

Every Tuesday, 2L milk , normal and low fat is 1.00 Euro and the rest of the time, it's 1.25.

In Carlow Swan's Wholesale have 2l milk @ €1.15, I buy 2 weeks supply, put it in the freezer. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭dasa29

Was in my local tesco today and noticed that Tesco Turkey Breast Fillets have gone up in price. I got them last thursday for €4.75 (4pack, 580g) today they were marked €6.39 for the same pack an increase of €1.34.

Yawns wrote: »
    Tesco thin bleach. Was 65cent now €1.19
    This outrage has been rectified a month later. Tesco Everyday Value Thin Bleach 2 Litre 65c

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Actually noticed that yesterday and said I must mention it on this thread, then promptly forgot. It probably helped that SuperValu kept theirs at 65c

Oaktree Baked Beans 420g was 29c now 39c - a whopping 35% increase

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Capri wrote: »
    I don't think Tesco give a fiddler's about their customers opinions. Try emailing them , there is no email link for 'Tesco on-line' :P only a UK phone no. (they say 'calls for ROI landlines free', but are charged if you use a mobile !)
    I emailed them and after I was over charged and their policy wasn't held.
    They posted me out four €10 vouchers without a quibble.

Another time in Tesco Clearwater, a tefal pan scanned more than the €31 price tag at the time, I got it for free then.

Tesco Caesar Salad: 1.59€ now 1.89€
    Tesco roasted mixed nuts: 2.69€, now 2.89€

Not huge increases, but they all add up

I was a loyal Tesco customer for years, but recent price increases really p***ed me off. I switched to Aldi 6 weeks ago, and am keeping a price comparison, trying to match products as closely as possible. Up to last week there was a difference of €89 in favour of Aldi. No wonder Tesco are losing market share.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

1L milk up to 0.85 from 0.75

everyday value yogurts up to 0.85 from 0.66

1L milk up to 0.85 from 0.75..
    :eek:
    Tesco Milk 3L was €2.19 now €2.49
    Tesco Milk 2L was €1.49 now €1.70
    Tesco Milk 1L was 75c now 85c

Are all stores putting up milk prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Milk prices are set to rocket over the next few months. We run a small local convenience store/newsagents and one of our suppliers just increased their price to us by 28%!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭County rebel

yes in super value today 2L milk gone up 20c:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Still €2.19 for 3L in Dunnes (Nenagh) today.

Used to be able to get them for €2 each when you bought two. Be interesting to see when Dunnes go with higher prices.

I was moaning paying €1.15 for 2l milk instead of €1.00, not in any of the multiples, I hasten to add. For the past few weeks this store has been selling short dated milk for 50c for 2l. It comes from NI, but I'm on a tight budget.

All milk prices have gone up. I hope the increase benefits the farmers rather than the supermarkets

It's the dairies who are raising the cost price at present and retailers as a whole will be forced to increase them further to increase margins. As an example we will be forced to raise our price from €1.19 to around €1.49 to even get near our current margin.

Glanbia were calling for an island wide price increase about a month ago with a story in the Irish Independent.

The next big "shock" to consumers will be the increase in other dairy products and chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭markiemark2005

Are the milk price rises related to the recent fodder crisis caused by the bad weather?

Not the current round as these rises have been on the cards for the best part of 12 months, but expect that to kick in around Christmas time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Tesco own brand Slimline Milk up from 0.85c to 0.95c

Almost 12% increase in 1 carton of milk :eek:

There has not been a price increase in the 1.75l Super Milk that I buy, it is still €1.99 :confused:

Just been informed by another milk supplier that they are expecting a price rise by next month. Talking about 9% which matches your 12% rise in store allowing for current margins.

• Advertisement

The price rise is actually 14% which will drive the price up by around 20c as per the large multiples....they are making a killing on milk vs the small independents if they're charging over €1.70 for 2 litres.

Advertisement