Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco outrageous price hikes

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Noted this morning that Aldi have milk prices unchanged. 1l .75, 2l 1.49, 3l 2.19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Nanazolie wrote: »
    All milk prices have gone up. I hope the increase benefits the farmers rather than the supermarkets
    as a farmer i get around 36cent per litre for my milk at the minute, so its not us thats creaming in the money

whelan1 wrote: »
    as a farmer i get around 36cent per litre for my milk at the minute, so its not us thats creaming in the money

Was talking to a couple of lads who are high up in Glanbia, they were telling me that of the recent 10 cent increase per litre, the supermarket gets 3, then 7 goes back to the creamery and they will be giving an extra 2 cent to the farmer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

World price rising - a very dry summer & autumn in NZ cant have helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

The question is what were you getting over the past year. Tesco's per litre retail price has increased from 0.75 to 0.85 which is 13.33%. I can appreciate that prices may have increased for them, but that's a pretty hefty rise and I'd think they've used the opportunity to try and increase their margin too (as is their right).
    Dunnes and Aldi have maintained the 0.75 price for the time being, Aldi will probably keep it for a while, wouldn't think it'll be static in Dunnes for much longer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

Kathy22 wrote: »
    I was in Tesco the other night and 2 items I normally buy have more than doubled in price. With this in mind I had a look at a few other items I normally buy and they too are slowly going up.

Tesco Chicken Kievs - they were all €1.79 less than 2 months back and on offer at 2 for €3. Then they slowly made their way to €1.99 for approx 1.5 months and now they are €2.20 each.

I also noticed the price of Pepsi and coke creeping up, they used to be in the region of €1.19-€1.21 and now they have gone up to €1.58. Of course when they go on sepecial offer the savings are much greater when in reality they are just ripping people off.

The biggest price hike I saw was a Tesco own brand Lemon Iced Madeira Cake, this is something I get a lot and it is normally in the region of €1.70. When I went in store the other day it was €4.60. That is almost triple the price, it is the same price online so not a store specific mistake. Are they for real?

(http://www.polyvore.com/tesco_lemon_iced_madeira_cake/thing?id=7827115)

Also Tesco soft cheese always in the .70c range is now more than doubled to €1.65.

THANK GOD I have an Aldi and Lidl close by. I normally use Tesco as a back up for things I cannot get in either of those. I hate shopping there but there is always something we need but this is just extortion!!!!!!

Thanks for this chief, at home we split the shopping list into 3 and get what we can from Lidl and Aldi before going to Tesco. We've noticed the price hikes as you have but luckily the things we want haven't increased too much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    Tesco's per litre retail price has increased from 0.75 to 0.85 which is 13.33%.

The cost of milk has risen 10c a litre by the supplier. Not all retailers have passed the increase on yet. So the 2L milk that was 1.50 / 1.49 will now be 1.70/1.69. People are mistaking it as 10c added and then Tesco adding another 10cent. It's 10cent a litre rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

It was in the news today too.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/fodder-crisis-leads-to-hike-in-price-of-milk-29329229.html

In fairness it's been years since the price has gone up. In fact I remember milk being more expensive and then IIRC it went down to €1.49 for 2litres when minimum pricing was scrapped by the government maybe about 8 years ago.

It's still very cheap to buy pasteurised milk here in Ireland and in the UK. From recent trips to France & Spain it's a lot more expensive there.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭littlesthobo

Wasn't that long ago ye were getting 21 cent. no living to be made at that price

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭littlesthobo

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    The question is what were you getting over the past year. Tesco's per litre retail price has increased from 0.75 to 0.85 which is 13.33%. I can appreciate that prices may have increased for them, but that's a pretty hefty rise and I'd think they've used the opportunity to try and increase their margin too (as is their right).
    Dunnes and Aldi have maintained the 0.75 price for the time being, Aldi will probably keep it for a while, wouldn't think it'll be static in Dunnes for much longer.

Dunnes own brand milk is NOT Irish milk, did not have the NDC logo on it last time i was in there anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Dunnes milk comes from a Dairy in Co. Donegal if I'm not mistaken, a lot of which comes from Northern Ireland. Same with Donegal Creameries who are the main suppliers around here.

Just because there is no NDC logo doesn't mean it's not Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Dunnes milk comes from a Dairy in Co. Donegal if I'm not mistaken, a lot of which comes from Northern Ireland. Same with Donegal Creameries who are the main suppliers around here.

Just because there is no NDC logo doesn't mean it's not Irish.

NI milk doesn't support this economy

Pretty sure if it's being produced and sold in the republic by companies employing people in this state then it's supporting the economy.

Pretty sure if it's being produced and sold in the republic by companies employing people in this state then it's supporting the economy.

Produced? Or do you mean packaged?

Processed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Dunnes own brand milk is NOT Irish milk, did not have the NDC logo on it last time i was in there anyway

If it's sourced from the northern ireland, I can live with that, and if NI is indeed the source of the milk, I am just about willing to forgive the inaccuracy of your statement!

When I buy milk up north it's normally 2 x 2l for £2, which seems generally available in the smaller multiples. Not sure of the 2L prices on their own, I think perhaps about £1.20 odd in the big supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

Tesco finest Crisps (150g share size bag, all flavours) was €2.09 now €2.29 :mad:

Lidl have put up their milk prices 1l .85, 2l 1.69
    Lidl's milk has a NI stamp on it.

Lidl milk is bottled by Strathroy Dairy and is white water.

rok wrote: »
    Tesco finest Crisps (150g share size bag, all flavours) was €2.09 now €2.29 :mad:

The price of potatoes has risen dramatically over the past 6-12months

• Advertisement

Lidl milk is bottled by Strathroy Dairy and is white water.

It does, however have the NDC Mark

And is processed by a NI company....go figure...

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

2L of Dunnes own brand milk is still 1.49. Got some Saturday!

gurramok wrote: »
    2L of Dunnes own brand milk is still 1.49. Got some Saturday!

Got some yesterday at that price in Dunnes too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

SuperValu still the same this evening when I popped in. €1.49 for 2L own brand.

Yawns wrote: »
    SuperValu still the same this evening when I popped in. €1.49 for 2L own brand.
    €1.69 in my Supervalu.

Tesco continue to lose market share. It fell 1% between February and June to 27.7% of the market

snubbleste wrote: »
    Tesco continue to lose market share. It fell 1% between February and June to 27.7% of the market

And I'm happy I contributed to that loss. I used to shop quite often there, special offers used to match their competitors, and for practical reasons it meant only one trip to the one shop where I knew I could find specific items.
    I only go there now for these specific items, the rest I buy in Dunnes, Lidl and Aldi (my oll time favourite) and... Superquinn. Yes, Superquinn can be great value if you only get the specials and use one of these online vouchers to reduce your online shop by up to 20€. Tesco never offer these for their online shopping, their loss.
    I think I haven't been to Tesco for at least 2 weeks now, and it was only to buy bread and salad on my way to work. Their fruits and vegs prices are mental. At the moment, they have a special offer on summer fruits, 2 for 5.50. Other shops offer 2 for 5€ and last week Lidl had strawberries for 99 cents and Aldi had blueberries for 89 cents. Dunnes have rasperries for 1.99€...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yes, Superquinn can be great value if you only get the specials
    I nearly only buy (genuine) offers in tesco. You can search online and filter it so it only shows current offers, and shows when they end.
    Their fruits and vegs prices are mental.
    The green grocer beside my tesco has most fruit cheaper, and better than tesco, also think it still has milk cheaper than the tesco own brand stuff, and nicer.

Advertisement