Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco outrageous price hikes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

rubadub wrote: »
    I nearly only buy (genuine) offers in tesco. You can search online and filter it so it only shows current offers, and shows when they end.

The green grocer beside my tesco has most fruit cheaper, and better than tesco, also think it still has milk cheaper than the tesco own brand stuff, and nicer.

I do that too, but I've found that for the last few weeks, the offers have been pretty poor. Most offers seem to be 20 to 33% off, which in my opinion doesn't constitute a great offer when other shops offer 50% on the same product. Another thing I've noticed is that the initial price tends to be dearer so the offer is not as good as it seems. For instance, there was a 'crazy price' on Thirst Pockets select size at the moment, it's 2 euros instead of 3.99€ (crazy price indeed for kitchen rolls, if you'd asked me...). But SQ and Dunnes have them at 2.99€ normal price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tesco Chicken Dippers was €1.89 and lower now €2.25.. that's a 19% increase

Also Aldi&Dunnes are still cheaper for milk

Stolen form the TescoIreland facebuke comments..
    Tesco 2ltr milk up 20c, Sliced cajun style chicken (not Tesco own brand) up 40c, tesco golden syrup porridge up 46c, tesco 9 pack toilet rolls up 64c, tesco lightly dusted frozen cod up 74c, tesco squash up 20c, aqua fruta 4x500ml up 20c. 3 for €9 meat deal now 2 for €8, 2 x tesco 5 pack donuts up 25c

Tesco's response: We are sorry you feel that way about our price increases..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

tesco have a special offer on this week. half price cherries was 4.49 now 2.24... think I will rush out and grab some. oh wait they are only 79c in Aldi and Dunnes. do tesco think people are silly?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

I have not shopped at Tesco for nearly 2 years now.
    It is not worth the one and a half half hours drive there, my time and the quality seems to have gone down whilst the prices have gone up.
    I noticed there were many empty shelves constantly, the lower priced goods were not displayed so often - there was a gap in that part of the shelving. This, I presume is to ensure customers pay for higher priced goods.
    Also, after a good opening array of goods, the choices became limited rather quickly.
    The store I used to travel to was at the Wilton shopping centre Cork so with that plus the ever decreasing stores that gave it the interest and variety that can be found shopping under one roof at a mall it is no longer justifiable to waste a whole day for something I now can buy fairly locally in half a day.

• Advertisement

tesco have a special offer on this week. half price cherries was 4.49 now 2.24... think I will rush out and grab some. oh wait they are only 79c in Aldi and Dunnes. do tesco think people are silly?

They do

Cherries have been 1.99 in Dunnes for weeks and 2€ in Superquinn. Tesco need to wake up

May be they are slowly realising that they are loosing customers, I have just received a booklet of vouchers, which they usually send to clubcard holders who have not shopped there for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Nanazolie wrote: »
    They do

Cherries have been 1.99 in Dunnes for weeks and 2€ in Superquinn. Tesco need to wake up

May be they are slowly realising that they are loosing customers, I have just received a booklet of vouchers, which they usually send to clubcard holders who have not shopped there for a while.

but you cant judge the cherries thing because its a promotion and their probably loosing money on that offer, you cant expect every other company to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

Simple shop in aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

I found the opposite. Local in Skibereen has really put prices prices for own brand, and is not really far off off the price of "brands". Aldi is slowly creeping up, the price of the bargain fruit and best, the five or so, has doubled since it opened and watching quality is crucial in Lidl, and Centra especially. Rotten yoghurt in Centra las week and 5 days to best by date. It is time that an independent quality and price control/watch was instigated.
    I wish the deli counters would stop slicing so many slice s of meat to be ready, they are dry and a peculiar colour - I dare not buy them BUT feel awful in asking them to cut fresh each time for me but I cannot make sandwiches with it. It does not affect my food as I am vegetarian but I do not insult the carnivores around me by giving them food that is suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

but you cant judge the cherries thing because its a promotion and their probably loosing money on that offer, you cant expect every other company to do that.

not tesco. they dont loose money on the promotions. the producer looses the money if I understand correctly and anyway there is no way they should be charging 4.49 for cherries that are 1.99 to 2.49 in Aldi every day of the week when they are not on offer at 79cent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Kathy22 wrote: »
    This is something I HATE the most. It is so deceitful. I am a pretty cautious shopper but I have plenty of friends who would throw it in without even checking. I'm sure they are making a fortune from people like that. I hate feeling done by a retailer especially if its the likes of Tesco!!!

This drives me mad. It always happens me in Lidl with their wine. I usually buy the disciounted stuff (unless its for the old man) and more often than not, when it goes through its twice the price. I am always wrong of course when I query it but its usually a very easy mistake. The sign is over the wrong bottles and its for something like ruby red blah de blah from california and the bottle underneath is ruby red blah de blah from south africa.

It takes ages to get the money refunded too. End up standing like a pleb at the end of the till until a supervisor arrives to use the magic key on the till.

Aldi's are on special offer at 75 cents, which means that the company certainly makes a loss on it. However, Dunnes and Superquinn's have been at these prices for ages. Tesco's full price on cherries works out at more than 16€ per kilo. Even M&S are cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    This drives me mad. It always happens me in Lidl with their wine. I usually buy the disciounted stuff (unless its for the old man) and more often than not, when it goes through its twice the price. I am always wrong of course when I query it but its usually a very easy mistake. The sign is over the wrong bottles and its for something like ruby red blah de blah from california and the bottle underneath is ruby red blah de blah from south africa.

It takes ages to get the money refunded too. End up standing like a pleb at the end of the till until a supervisor arrives to use the magic key on the till.

The thing to remember is that the price for most items which are on shelves like wine etc is displayed under the item and never above it. only the items on the top shelves have the price displayed on a poster usually on the wall above the items.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

snubbleste wrote: »
    2 x tesco 5 pack donuts up 25c
    Those donuts were 5 for 1.15, and 2 packs of 5 for 1.50 on special, now they are 2x5 for €1.75.

1.50 was amazingly cheap for 10 donuts, €1.75 is still very cheap too. 6 superquinn similar donuts are 2.99 in a pack, they currently have an offer of 6 for €2.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The thing to remember is that the price for most items which are on shelves like wine etc is displayed under the item and never above it.
    If in doubt I check barcodes. The barcodes are long so you just need the last few digits, its rare to see 2 items with similar digits at the end. THe barcode is listed on the shelf label.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Tesco, Mullingar.

5kg of charcoal briquettes were €5.25 on 9th July.

Exact same item increased to €7.00 yesterday, 11th July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

unfit2006 wrote: »
    Tesco, Mullingar.

not really fair to complain about price increase of product that was on offer.

I got them too, in gardening and outdoor section where all stuff was 'Save 25%' (from 7 to 5.25 in this case)

Offers were finished on 11th.

unfit2006 wrote: »
    Tesco, Mullingar.

There are loads of things on half price at the moment. There is a huge list here which are ending very soon

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/SpecialOffers/SpecialOfferList/default.aspx?promoType=halfprice

it clearly shows then the offers are ending, like the yellow shelf labels in the shops usually do.
    Flora Buttery 1Kg
    Special OfferHALF PRICE Was 4.89 Now 2....Offers relating to
    valid from 26/6/2013 until 16/7/2013
    €2.44 (€2.44/kg)
    Add to basket

Quantity
    Add to basket
    Flora Light 1Kg
    Special OfferHALF PRICE Was 4.29 Now 2....Offers relating to
    €2.14 (€2.14/kg)
    Add to basket

Quantity
    Add to basket
    Charleville Select Red 400G
    Special OfferHALF PRICE Was 4.99 Now 2....Offers relating to
    €2.49 (€0.71/100g)
    Add to basket

Quantity
    Add to basket
    New productCheese Of Ireland Factor Boyne Valley Blue Cheese
    8 day code life on this product. We guarantee the Quality & Freshness of our products - find out more >
    Special OfferHALF PRICE Was 41.10 Now 2...Offers relating to
    valid from 3/7/2013 until 16/7/2013
    €2.59 (€20.55/each)
    Add to basket
    (Max price per pack)

Quantity
    Add to basket
    Cheeses Ireland Mild North Cork White Cheddar
    8 day code life on this product. We guarantee the Quality & Freshness of our products - find out more >
    Special OfferHALF PRICE Was 11.90 Now 5...Offers relating to
    valid from 3/7/2013 until 16/7/2013
    €1.52 (€5.95/each)
    Add to basket
    (Max price per pack)

Quantity
    Add to basket
    Charleville Mature Red Block 400G
    Special OfferHALF PRICE Was 5.69 Now 2....Offers relating to
    €2.84 (€0.81/100g)
    Add to basket

Quantity
    Add to basket
    Fresh Meals, Pizza, Pasta & Garlic Bread
    Tesco 2 Cheese And Garlic Baguettes 420G
    4 day code life on this product. We guarantee the Quality & Freshness of our products - find out more >
    Special OfferHALF PRICE Was 2.30 Now 1....Offers relating to
    €1.15 (€0.27/100g)
    Add to basket

Quantity
    Add to basket
    Milano Margherita Pizza 245G
    Special OfferHALF PRICE Was 5.25 Now 2....Offers relating to
    €2.62 (€1.06/100g)
    Add to basket

Quantity
    Add to basket
    Prima Fresco Margherita Pizza 370G
    4 day code life on this product. We guarantee the Quality & Freshness of our products - find out more >
    €2.49 (€0.72/100g)
    Add to basket

Quantity
    Add to basket
    Prima Fresco Pepperoni Pizza 347G
    €2.49 (€0.72/100g)
    Add to basket

Quantity
    Add to basket
    Balieen6chipchop Shop Style Battered Burger 400G
    Special OfferHALF PRICE Was 3.99 Now 1....Offers relating to
    €1.99 (€4.98/kg)
    Add to basket

Quantity
    Add to basket
    Tesco Chicken Tikka Masala And Pilau Rice 550G
    Special OfferHALF PRICE Was 4.50 Now 2....Offers relating to
    €2.25 (€4.10/kg)
    Add to basket

Quantity
    Add to basket
    Savoury Pastry
    Ballineen Cooked Pork Sausages In Batt 300G
    €1.99 (€0.59/100g)
    Add to basket

Quantity
    Add to basket
    Cakes & Pies
    Cadbury 2 Hot Chocolate Sponge Puddings 2X110g
    So expect some of these to "increase 100% in price OVERNIGHT"

Tesco have avocados on special offer at 49c each
    Aldi have the same..two avocados for 35c

looks like protesting on their FB page had some impact: milk 2L back to 1.49€

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Probably more to do with a few shops taking the hit and kept selling it for €1.49 a Ltr. Lidl, Aldi, some Super Values etc. When demand for their milk dropped, they dropped the price back in line.

I don't blame them for trying to add the extra cost of it on and I had fully expected most places to add it on. However, whenever anyone was moaning about the price increase of milk, it's usually made out to be Tesco's fault for some reason. There were a number of other shops that also increased the cost of milk. This was a supplier increase.

• Advertisement

Eh, the 1l is still 85c and the 3l is still €2.49

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

snubbleste wrote: »
    Eh, the 1l is still 85c and the 3l is still €2.49
    3litre is only €2.19 in Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭andersat2

Nivea sunstop screen protection lotion 50SPF:
    Tesco: HALF PRICE!!!! 9.99Eur

Same product in dublin airport one of the shops: 7.49 Eur (without any mention of "half price")

& Lidl & Dunnes & Supervalu & Superquinn

• Registered Users Posts: 4 shanleyp

Do u think because nobody is buying frozen burgers now they are capitalising on de owl chicken!

3L is €2.34 in tesco, buy 1 1L and a 2L. Or €2.23 based on the 2L price.

Larger packs are very often more expensive, it can cost more to produce the less popular size or they can take advantage of the mindless idiots who presume bulk buying MUST be cheaper, in previous threads some people thought it was actually law that bigger packs must be cheaper per unit volume/weight :eek:

andersat2 wrote: »
    Nivea sunstop screen protection lotion 50SPF:
    Tesco: HALF PRICE!!!! 9.99Eur

Same product in dublin airport one of the shops: 7.49 Eur (without any mention of "half price")

Most toiletries and perfumes are cheaper at the airport 'duty free' (they still charge taxes on ECC flights).

rubadub wrote: »
    3L is €2.34 in tesco, buy 1 1L and a 2L. Or €2.23 based on the 2L price.

Larger packs are very often more expensive, it can cost more to produce the less popular size or they can take advantage of the mindless idiots who presume bulk buying MUST be cheaper, in previous threads some people thought it was actually law that bigger packs must be cheaper per unit volume/weight :eek:

I would have thought less plastic, less space in warehouses and trucks, would mean cheaper charges on larger containers. When it comes to milk, soda, water, cereals, etc... Families are more likely to buy in bulk. I buy at least 10l of milk a week, a large pack of cereals, 3kg of apples. And I only have 2 small kids, people with teenagers or 3 or more kids could actually buy a cow it would be cheaper :D

I get eco cleaning products in bulk from Amazon, they are much cheaper to buy in 5, 10 or 15l than the smaller containers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Omarscoming

shanleyp wrote: »
    Do u think because nobody is buying frozen burgers now they are capitalising on de owl chicken!

First it was Horse burgers and now its owl chicken. I might become a vegan.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

Kathy22 wrote: »
    I was in Tesco the other night and 2 items I normally buy have more than doubled in price. With this in mind I had a look at a few other items I normally buy and they too are slowly going up.

Tesco Chicken Kievs - they were all €1.79 less than 2 months back and on offer at 2 for €3. Then they slowly made their way to €1.99 for approx 1.5 months and now they are €2.20 each.

I also noticed the price of Pepsi and coke creeping up, they used to be in the region of €1.19-€1.21 and now they have gone up to €1.58. Of course when they go on sepecial offer the savings are much greater when in reality they are just ripping people off.

The biggest price hike I saw was a Tesco own brand Lemon Iced Madeira Cake, this is something I get a lot and it is normally in the region of €1.70. When I went in store the other day it was €4.60. That is almost triple the price, it is the same price online so not a store specific mistake. Are they for real?

(http://www.polyvore.com/tesco_lemon_iced_madeira_cake/thing?id=7827115)

Also Tesco soft cheese always in the .70c range is now more than doubled to €1.65.

THANK GOD I have an Aldi and Lidl close by. I normally use Tesco as a back up for things I cannot get in either of those. I hate shopping there but there is always something we need but this is just extortion!!!!!!

One word.....ALDI.

Advertisement