Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco outrageous price hikes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

unfit2006 wrote: »
    Tesco, Mullingar.

5kg of charcoal briquettes were €5.25 on 9th July.

Exact same item increased to €7.00 yesterday, 11th July.

I am shocked. Shocked! To discover the price of charcoal went up during a heatwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Dunno if someone has already mentioned it, but Tesco's selected range of meats (mince beef, chicken fillets, pork chops etc.) is now 2 for €8. Was 3 for €9

That's a ridiculous increase of over 33% :mad:

Looks like I will further reduce my shopping in Tesco from once every fortnight to once every month. Their loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

When Ben Dunne was asked in an interview a few years ago why he charged such high prices for his goods, he replied something along the lines of

"Because people were prepared to pay those prices". Same still applies.

Don't buy those goods that you can buy cheaper elsewhere. Or if you don't absolutely need them don't buy them. Shop around. It's not "Rip Off Ireland", it's "Reality Ireland".

If goods are not selling because of price, retailers will then have to look for cheaper suppliers. But keep an eye on quality too.

Happy shopping.

rubadub wrote: »
    3L is €2.34 in tesco, buy 1 1L and a 2L. Or €2.23 based on the 2L price.

Larger packs are very often more expensive, it can cost more to produce the less popular size or they can take advantage of the mindless idiots who presume bulk buying MUST be cheaper, in previous threads some people thought it was actually law that bigger packs must be cheaper per unit volume/weight :eek:

For a couple of weeks per year Tesco do Jameson at 30 euro a litre, which is phenominal value considering a regular bottle is 27.99 for 700ml. I was ordering stuff on tesco online at the weekend and it kindly calculates how much your items are per 100gr or 100ml. At its usual price of 39.99 a bottle of jameson was stating that it was more expensive per 100ml than a standard bottle was. And people still buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

unkel wrote: »
    Dunno if someone has already mentioned it, but Tesco's selected range of meats (mince beef, chicken fillets, pork chops etc.) is now 2 for €8. Was 3 for €9

Looks like I will further reduce my shopping in Tesco from once every fortnight to once every month. Their loss.

To me, the 3 for 9 euro was cheaper than everywhere else so I can't really say them increasing it to 2 for 8 euro really makes it more expensive than everywhere else.

If there is a better meat option though, I'd love to hear it.

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    I am shocked. Shocked! To discover the price of charcoal went up during a heatwave.

An increase in demand does not necessarily have a downward pricing of goods.

Where consumers absolutely want the goods, and supplies are limited, retailers are more than likely going to put prices up.

Buy a few bags at the end of August for 2014.

For a couple of weeks per year Tesco do Jameson at 30 euro a litre, which is phenominal value considering a regular bottle is 27.99 for 700ml. I was ordering stuff on tesco online at the weekend and it kindly calculates how much your items are per 100gr or 100ml. At its usual price of 39.99 a bottle of jameson was stating that it was more expensive per 100ml than a standard bottle was. And people still buy them.

Spirits are a luxury item. If you can afford to pay for a luxury item, you are probably less likely to shop around. That's why they will still sell at those prices.

Interesting you say a couple of weeks a year. That's probably when the retailer buys a bulk load in, larger than normal, sells them quick at lower price. But there is only a limited amount of such an item that consumers will buy. Therefore the higher price is the norm.

Buy in bulk when prices are lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

One word.....ALDI.

we did that and aldi it was not cheaper at all,

we usually offer shop (we have a supervalu, dunnes, aldi and Tesco around us) so we buy things on offer and keep our costs down that way,

we tried aldi and our shopping worked out €20 cheaper, but we only got half of what we usually buy, and the things we did get were less quality, (tin foil rips easier when doing a chicken than the brand name one we buy)

so in the end we went back to offer shopping, when 32 roles of charmin are €5 we get a few months supply and by the time they are gone the offer is back on again,

Tesco i have noticed though are getting more expensive, while supervalu have more offers going on things you'd actually use like butters,toilet papers, cheeses, sauces...etc, we got liga for 1.99 a pack 3 years ago, now its €2.49 (usually on offer for €2), cmp milk went up to €1.90 from around €1.60 BUT they also changed the bottle so you get 1.5ltrs instead of a 2ltr which i though was sneaky,

their cereals are also creeping up,

before the heatwave a 20pk of bottles of budwiser were down to €10 (we bought two of them then) then they went to €13, and by the heatwave were back to €20. they were €17 in supervalu.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

As was actually pointed out, the price of that increase was an unfair complaint. They were €7 but a 25% off discount was on for a few weeks. When the offer ended, they went back to €7 and someone posted here complaining about it. You really really cannot please everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

hoodwinked wrote: »
    we did that and aldi it was not cheaper at all,

i find aldi far cheaper than tesco in every aspect,tesco value products are near the same value but the quality is awful.

for quality + value,aldi wins out. im dirt poor,i know. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

shanleyp wrote: »
    Do u think because nobody is buying frozen burgers now they are capitalising on de owl chicken!
    unkel wrote: »

Superquinn weeks ago had signs up alerting customers to the fact about price increases for chicken, (and probably beef too), and future prices increases, because of the wet start to the year increasing costs to the farmers.

I'd expect all farm produced goods to increase this year, although the recent fine spell may mitigate that somewhat. If it doesn't, it's probably not Irish produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Superquinn weeks ago had signs up alerting customers to the fact about price increases for chicken, (and probably beef too), and future prices increases, because of the wet start to the year increasing costs to the farmers.

I'd expect all farm produced goods to increase this year, although the recent fine spell may mitigate that somewhat. If it doesn't, it's probably not Irish produced.

Prices of food will increase sharply in the next few years. The weather patern is damaging for crops: long, wet and cold winters and springs, followed by heatwaves and strong storms. In France, the vineyards of Burgundy have been destroyed by hail storms, after a very poor start of the year. Even with the recent good weather in Ireland, farmers had it bad this year.
    I can understand then why prices increase, and it's all down to decision about our spending habits: less meat but of better quality, buying fruits and vegs when at their pic and plant kitchen herbs, stawberries, tomatoes and lettuce to save a bit here and there.
    What I don't accept is that Tesco raise their prices when other stores can maintain theirs. If you contact their customer service, they come up with this gibberish about negociating the best prices with their suppliers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Nanazolie wrote: »
    What I don't accept is that Tesco raise their prices when other stores can maintain theirs. If you contact their customer service, they come up with this gibberish about negociating the best prices with their suppliers.

But that was part of my point, Superquinn had signs up weeks ago indicating that their product will be increasing, they'll be doing the exact same thing as Tesco and presumably everywhere else that sources from Ireland.

syklops wrote:
    Kettleson wrote: »
    An increase in demand does not necessarily have a downward pricing of goods.

Where consumers absolutely want the goods, and supplies are limited, retailers are more than likely going to put prices up.

Buy a few bags at the end of August for 2014.
    As was actually pointed out, the price of that increase was an unfair complaint. They were €7 but a 25% off discount was on for a few weeks. When the offer ended, they went back to €7 and someone posted here complaining about it. You really really cannot please everyone.

You guys need to upgrade your sarcasm detectors. Also go watch Casablanca.

You guys need to upgrade your sarcasm detectors. Also go watch Casablanca.

Syklops, I wondered if u were being sarcastic, and as there were no other signs to indicate otherwise, I erred on the side of providing what I thought might be helpful advice. I'll ear mark you for next time eh.

As I haven't got either the time or inclination to watch Casablanca try adding this to your intended sarcasm based posts. >>>> :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I find Aldi much cheaper than Tesco and the quality is far superior to the tesco own brand stuff even rivalling the Branded products. if you only buy the offers in Tesco(fair play to those who actually do that and dont end up spending a fortune on impulse buys) you can get brand name stuff cheaper and save enough to get your normal shop in Aldi.

Syklops, I wondered if u were being sarcastic, and as there were no other signs to indicate otherwise, I erred on the side of providing what I thought might be helpful advice. I'll ear mark you for next time eh.

As I haven't got either the time or inclination to watch Casablanca try adding this to your intended sarcasm based posts. >>>> :rolleyes:
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

I wanted to start shopping in Lidl and Aldi, but I go there, grab few things and go to Tesco.

I find it very hard to do my shopping there. Brands I don't know cost same as well known brands on offer in Tesco.

I spend 30 minutes in Lidl looking for vinegar and didn't find it. They sell lots of impulse buy products, but when you need ketchup you have 2 choices. In tesco? 15 choices of ketchup, 15 choices of vinegar etc etc.

Only thing I do is go to Aldi and Lidl for fruit and veg as this is really cheaper than Tesco - but it has to be in the morning, as if its evening most boxes are empty.

198321 wrote: »
    I wanted to start shopping in Lidl and Aldi, but I go there, grab few things and go to Tesco.

I find it very hard to do my shopping there. Brands I don't know cost same as well known brands on offer in Tesco.

I spend 30 minutes in Lidl looking for vinegar and didn't find it. They sell lots of impulse buy products, but when you need ketchup you have 2 choices. In tesco? 15 choices of ketchup, 15 choices of vinegar etc etc.

Only thing I do is go to Aldi and Lidl for fruit and veg as this is really cheaper than Tesco - but it has to be in the morning, as if its evening most boxes are empty.

you can't find vinegar in lidl??

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

198321 wrote: »

...which is why you are paying more in Tesco, they are a traditional supermarket as such are expected to carry a massive range, which costs quite a bit. Aldi are classified as a cheap alternative and customers don't expect the same level of choice.

• Advertisement

i think it was meant as an example, but yes they don't stock certain types of food/shopping, like bow tie shaped pasta, or chicken and white wine sauce, or are often out of stock when it comes to other products,

meanwhile these i buy in Tesco on offer for €1 per bag of pasta and 2 for €1 on the sauces, they have a long shelf life so it works out cheaper than aldi shopping while also meaning my daughter is eating the flavour sauce she likes and the type of pasta she likes, and these are brand named products cheaper than aldi's version of other pasta shapes,
    ...which is why you are paying more in Tesco, they are a traditional supermarket as such are expected to carry a massive range, which costs quite a bit. Aldi are classified as a cheap alternative and customers don't expect the same level of choice.

more brands = more choice in price and options, often one brand will come off offer when the next one begins, so if you aren't loyal to one brand its cheaper,

with aldi you pay a set price weekly, by offer shopping (the bargain alert thread is so handy for this too) you can go much cheaper for better quality goods overall. e.g the Aldi tin foil which doesn't hold a roast chicken without ripping versus the extra strong baco tin foil that holds it without ripping less mess = less cleaning products too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

On the subject of tinfoil my Mum swears by the Poundland/Dealz stuff for £1/€1.49, says it's much better than the branded rolls

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would have thought less plastic, less space in warehouses and trucks, would mean cheaper charges on larger containers.
    It might be less convenient to process etc, a item with less plastic is not always cheaper to produce. Some will include the original costs of moulds etc in the unit price per container. So if they make a million 2L milk cartons and only 100,000 3L ones then the 2L can be cheaper in the long run.

Many large bottles of wine are dearer per ml. And watch for family size tins of beans & peas. The bigger sizes usually are cheaper, I am just saying to watch out, in some cases the smaller one is cheaper as standard.
    When it comes to milk, soda, water, cereals, etc... Families are more likely to buy in bulk.
    You can still buy in bulk in small packets! Very often the twin packs of 2L cokes are dearer than 2 separate ones. I see people blindly putting the twins in trolleys, probably presuming its cheaper.
    I get eco cleaning products in bulk from Amazon, they are much cheaper to buy in 5, 10 or 15l than the smaller containers.
    Amazon do lots of catering or retail type packets. I looked up franks hot sauce in a big plastic catering size tub and it was dearer than a load of glass bottles. In musgraves a 25kg bag of siucra was more than 25x1kg bags of the same branded siucra in tescos.
    For a couple of weeks per year Tesco do Jameson at 30 euro a litre, which is phenominal value considering a regular bottle is 27.99 for 700ml. I was ordering stuff on tesco online at the weekend and it kindly calculates how much your items are per 100gr or 100ml.
    I find the price per kg/ml on the shelf labels in tesco is frequently wrong, I was doing these calculations in my head long before it was on shelf labels, and still do them the odd time.

A mate of mine always got 1L bottles of smirnoff as a rule, wrongly presuming it was always cheaper.

I am pretty sure I have seen jameson on offer for €20 for 700ml in several places, which is 28.57 per litre.

Quick search shows its 19.99 in eurospar right now
    http://www.eurospar.ie/component/offer/665/101/Off-Licence/560/Jameson/Irish_Whiskey
    noodler wrote: »
    If there is a better meat option though, I'd love to hear it.
    Many butchers are a lot cheaper. I get 10x130-140g irish chicken fillets for €10 in my butchers, thats €7.40 per kilo. Also the tesco value chicken fillets were often cheaper per kilo than the 3 for €9 deals.
    I had trouble finding ketchup & ketchup in lidl, in tesco there is a wall of ketchups, so hard to miss. Also in lidl it is very rare to find somebody on the shop floor that you can ask, in tesco there are loads wandering about (another reason why lidl is cheaper, they seem to have staff constantly working). Lidl has less obvious sections than some other supermarkets.

Couldn't be too much of a breadline recession folks if you can put large bottles of spirits into the shopping trolley?

Maybe the green shoots of a recovery are beginning to emerge?

Couldn't be too much of a breadline recession folks if you can put large bottles of spirits into the shopping trolley?

i get your point,and it is funny. :D a lot of people saying they have nothing yet they can buy vodka redbulls and 20 fags.

but i genuine cant afford any type of fresh beef maybe once a week or two i buy 3e of rib steak.

the rest of the time im living off pork chops!!! :(

i have to leave my area,we have no jobs here.

Nil Desperandum : ) EireannBEAR. Nil Desperandum!

(Used to live in Hendon, worked in Washington).

http://youtu.be/vxnzw26vdQg

or maybe those working have enough money to buy the alcohol they enjoy while relaxing at weekends?

doesn't mean we like to be ripped off when we go to buy things, or comment on the price hikes on alcohol

just a heads up on those availing of the 2 for €5 on fruits (grapes, raspberries,strawberries...etc) it has now ended,

i also noticed oreo's in the half price basket were the chocolate cream ones while its the ones with white cream selling at the half price according to the sign, i picked up a half price pack from the aisle.

Tescos seem to be placing a lot of full price products in front of half price signs lately imo

hoodwinked wrote: »
    or maybe those working have enough money to buy the alcohol they enjoy while relaxing at weekends?

doesn't mean we like to be ripped off when we go to buy things, or comment on the price hikes on alcohol

I agree. And to pay more than one has to would be mad, or lazy.

Twas merely an observation that party size bottles of Whisky and Vodka are not usually the sort of items that one would consider part of a comparison, money saving shopping basket.

PS: How much for a large packet of Resolve these days : ) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

rubadub wrote: »
    In musgraves a 25kg bag of siucra was more than 25x1kg bags of the same branded siucra in tescos.

And for siucra you don't have to add the VAT to the Musgraves' price :)

Found examples like that too, you have to be very careful with bulk buying in all supermarkets, particularly Musgraves. Some bargains, some not at all...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i find aldi far cheaper than tesco in every aspect,tesco value products are near the same value but the quality is awful.

for quality + value,aldi wins out. im dirt poor,i know. :D

Tesco value products are just muck, so are the new aldi essentials range. compare a normal tin of beans in aldi @39cent to a tin of Tesco beans @75cent and they are about the same, the "oak Tree Estate" beans @39cent are just re-branded Tesco value muck.

Advertisement