Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco outrageous price hikes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

There's no vat on sugar...not from any of my wholesalers anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Kettleson wrote: »
    Twas merely an observation that party size bottles of Whisky and Vodka are not usually the sort of items that one would consider part of a comparison, money saving shopping basket.
    Most people I know would have a weekly spend on alcohol, so it makes sense to me to include it and treat it like anything else. It is no different to buying a crate of beer which is often cheaper than individual cans, a 40% 1000ml bottle is like 20x500ml 4% cans. You can buy family size without a family or party size with no obligation to have a party;)

It amazes me how many people still buy the small bottles. The 200ml jameson is 8.99 in eurospar, thats €31.46 per 700ml
    In tesco the 350ml is 15.99 or €32 per 700ml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

rubadub wrote: »
    Most people I know would have a weekly spend on alcohol, so it makes sense to me to include it and treat it like anything else. It is no different to buying a crate of beer which is often cheaper than individual cans, a 40% 1000ml bottle is like 20x500ml 4% cans. You can buy family size without a family or party size with no obligation to have a party;)

It amazes me how many people still buy the small bottles. The 200ml jameson is 8.99 in eurospar, thats €31.46 per 700ml
    In tesco the 350ml is 15.99 or €32 per 700ml

That's true, my mind was wandering in Rab C Nesbitt mode. :o (I've just spent some time on the "Is Alcohol a Disease" thread).

I sometimes wonder are people drinking more during the recession as the cost of alcohol, particularly beer/cider in cans has reduced significantly. But that's for another thread. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

We all have different habits and priorities. When we had to reassess our expenses, we decided alcohol was a luxury that we couldn't afford. Yet we bring the kids out and often get them an ice cream or a treat at the weekend. That would appear as luxury to other people.

That's the one thing I don't get: supermarkets always seem to offer the best deals on junk food and alcohol, very rarely on healthy food (in general, not only Tesco). Aldi and Lidl have fantastic offers on fruits and vegs, though, and Dunnes has made special efforts to keep up.

Was in Tesco yesterday for a specific item that I can't find in other shops around. I thought I would also do part of my weekly shopping with whatever special offers they might have. These were quite poor, and I left with only a small basket, no fruits and vegs. The toothbrushes I get for the kids went from 85 cents to 1.19, will get the Lidl ones from now on.

I understand what people mean about choice but I find that having too much choice is not great either because you spend ages deciding which one is best value, and as Rubadud was pointing out, prices per kilo / litre are almost always wrong so comparing prices is very difficult. Plus why do you need 15 choices of vinegar for? I can understand for items like yogurts or rice where there is a preference, but the basics usually are the same

Nanazolie wrote: »
    That's the one thing I don't get: supermarkets always seem to offer the best deals on junk food and alcohol, very rarely on healthy food (in general, not only Tesco). Aldi and Lidl have fantastic offers on fruits and vegs, though, and Dunnes has made special efforts to keep up.
    The highest % off deals are usually on branded goods, which are overpriced to begin with. 50% off takeaway pizza is standard, its a non-offer, half price fish & chips days sees monster queues down the street.

I believe these deals are usually being passed on by tesco via the manufacturer.

I never pay full price for certain things. I stock up when on offer. I currently have a press full of cadburys caramel bars, 6 for €1.15 or something. Last time it was twix, and was bounties before hand. I am not fussy. I stock up on toothpaste, soap etc whenever its on offer, online you can now check all the current offers in tesco and when they end, so I have a list of offers before I go in, rather than keep on discovering them and going back replacing stuff.

2L Tesco cheapo diet cola is 55cent as standard, to me thats an indication of what it costs anybody to make similar. Coke is €2.29 (over 4 times as much), so they can easily afford to have this at half price. I cannot imagine tesco going half price on 55cent.

Fruits is usually unbranded so you will not see great reductions. If the coca-cola company started selling bananas at 4 times the price tesco do, then you might see 50% off coca-cola bananas quite a bit. A non-offer to me.

The fruit offers I get is when its being sold off, again I am not fussy, I have about 20 kiwis at home, dunnes were selling 6 packs for 35cent, and they are still not properly ripe.

You can readily get beer for €1 a can or just over, again the alleged offers are non-offers to me. I will buy heineken when its €1 a can, its all its worth to me, some fall for this 50% off thing when instead they should be asking "wait a minute, if they can sell for €1 why the hell was I paying €2.20 a can last week".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

Thats why some products are constantly on offer.

Coca cola was on offer 2 for 3.40, now it's on offer 2 for 3e. How was 2for3.40 an offer?

I also try to stay away from 33% off as next week it is most likely going to be Half price or Buy one get one free which is better.

Also I don't need 15 types of vinegar, it was just example that I wasn't able to buy vinegar in Lidl. Maybe they were out of stock but I couldn't even guess where to look for it as products are all over the place (For example Ketchup located over frozen ice-cream fridge?, would you look there?)

And I am not saying Tesco is cheaper than Lidl or Aldi, but at least I can understand prices in Tesco, for what Lidl or Aldi offer I would expect them to be even cheaper.

I do think what Tesco is doing is confusing people (fruit 2 for 5, than 2 for 5.50, than special offer 3 euro, than buy fruit + avomore cream for 5, etc etc) and I understand that for somebody who doesn't shop there often it might seem as great offer and it might be annoying to go to Lidl and see that same fruit in Tesco (2 for 5.50) is 99c in Lidl. But I shop in Tesco few times a week so I think I know by now whats good offer and whats not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

198321 wrote: »
    Thats why some products are constantly on offer.

Coca cola was on offer 2 for 3.40, now it's on offer 2 for 3e. How was 2for3.40 an offer?

I also try to stay away from 33% off as next week it is most likely going to be Half price or Buy one get one free which is better.

Also I don't need 15 types of vinegar, it was just example that I wasn't able to buy vinegar in Lidl. Maybe they were out of stock but I couldn't even guess where to look for it as products are all over the place (For example Ketchup located over frozen ice-cream fridge?, would you look there?)

And I am not saying Tesco is cheaper than Lidl or Aldi, but at least I can understand prices in Tesco, for what Lidl or Aldi offer I would expect them to be even cheaper.

I do think what Tesco is doing is confusing people (fruit 2 for 5, than 2 for 5.50, than special offer 3 euro, than buy fruit + avomore cream for 5, etc etc) and I understand that for somebody who doesn't shop there often it might seem as great offer and it might be annoying to go to Lidl and see that same fruit in Tesco (2 for 5.50) is 99c in Lidl. But I shop in Tesco few times a week so I think I know by now whats good offer and whats not.
    Have a look at some of the prices in this post and compare them to the same tesco own brand(not tesco value) items.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85647248&postcount=25
    Apple&Raspberry juice 1L 79cent.
    Penne/Fussili pasta 1KG 94cent
    Pasta Bake jar 495g €1.19.
    Mayonaise 500ML jar €1.49.
    NAS double concentrated squash apple & blackcurrant €1.49.
    tin sweetcorn 365g 59cent.
    sour cream & chive/salsa dip 85cent.
    Sirlion steak 440g €5.99.
    Smoked coley fillets 250g €1.99.
    Quiche Lorraine 400g €1.89.
    pork chops 520g €3.99.
    large flat mushrooms 250g 35cent(special offer).
    corneto type cones 110ml x4 €1.29.
    Magnum type ice cream sticks 110ml x3 €1.49
    Luxury ice cream tub 900ml €2.19.
    Irish beef meatballs x12 €1.99.
    Irish beef quarter pounders x4 €1.99.
    Black/White pudding 300g 99cent.
    cheddar slices 350g €2.79.
    crumbed ham 320g €2.79.
    pizza baguettes 2pack 99cent.
    battered/breaded cod 500g €2.79.
    french Brie cheese 200g €1.09.
    tuna steaks in oil (pole & line caught) 200g €1.29.
    6 tomatoes €1.29.
    green/red grapes seedless 500g €1.99.
    fat free yoghurts 8x125g pack €1.99.
    cafe mocha sachets 11pack €1.69.
    Corale premium baked beans 420g 39cent.
    packet soups makes 1.5litre 59cent.
    ready to serve custard carton 500g 65cent.
    mild grated cheddar 475g €2.99.
    coleslaw/potato salad 400g €1.19.
    garlic/plain tortilla wraps 8pack 89cent.
    iceberg lettuce 35cent(offer).
    500g buttermilk brown soda sliced €1.09.
    scallions bunch 35cent(offer).
    brasserie crisps 150g bag €1.25.
    choc digestives 400g 69cent.
    ginger nuts 300g 39cent.
    white/wholemeal sub rolls x4 75cent.
    jumbo sausages 8pack 454g €1.39.
    frozen garlic baguettes x2 79cent.
    chill cabinet garlic baguettes x2 €1.09.
    soicy potato wedges 750g 74cent.
    nacho cheese tortilla crisps 200g 75cent.
    stackers crisps(like pringles) 165g €1.15.
    sliced white bread (great for freezing) 800g 72cent.
    whiskey cake/fruit cake 400g €2.50.
    speciality cheeses, Wensleydale/double Gloucester 200g €1.69.
    fruit & nut choc 200g €1.39.
    Dark chocolate 200g 99cent.
    squeezy honey €1.99.
    jaffa cakes 24pack 80cent.
    white luxurt toilet tissue 4pack €1.49.
    luxury fruit porridge €1.59.
    clementine 750g €1.49.
    kiwi tray 6pack 35cent(special offer)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Furious to see LowLow Gold 500g has gone from €1.99 to €2.40!
    I've been buying this for well over a year now and it's always been €1.99.
    €2.40 is a big jump imo.
    Out of spite I bought Bertolli, marked at €1.50 at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Rustlers Hot Wraps have gone from about 2 quid to about 3.19 in the last 9 months or so. Tesco don't have any of the Rustlers product range on their website despite selling them for years. This is what they look like http://www.rustlersonline.com/menu/

My local Centra sells them for 2 quid. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Ran out of cat litter and had to go to Tesco for it- their 'catsan' litter has gone up over a euro to 10.25. Even at 9e it was a ripoff, but it was a necessity.
    They are closing their Tesco Express near me on Sunday and I won't miss them, useless shop, Aldi is opening up very soon just up the road.

• Advertisement

Tesco 32 Cocktail Sausages have gone from €1.39 to €1.59 in the past few weeks.
    I still buy 'em 'cos they're nice (70% pork too!) but it's a bit sneaky when they raise prices like that and hope you won't notice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

not really a tesco increase but they are they only ones ive seen so far selling the 'New' Dolmio lasagne packs, less contents (less pasta sheets/sauce....etc) i'd now need 2 to make a lasagna the proportions i'm used to making, (or buy extra pasta sheets) so effectively they've gone from €4 a set to €8 a set for me! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I have posted similar going back twenty years. I've found that I could shop with Quinsworth [Tesco] and then suddenly all the prices would skyrocket, I'd move then to Dunnes.

Dunnes would then raise their prices too so it was back to Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,999 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Tesco have been fiddling around with the price of dog food especially the Pedigree brand. Always check before you buy as it fluctuates week by week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Been looking at their 50% off claims last week. They claimed 515g breasts of chicken were €10.69, now €5.40 or so. WTF?
    Aldi are selling the very same chicken at €5.29 every day..

Pringles are €3.29. Were they always that expensive?
    My local shop sells them all the time at €2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

fussyonion wrote: »

They actually are from what i remember, but then they have a buy one get one free seemingly every other week so its not so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Spaghetti hoops 205g costs 59c, you can now buy a 3 pack for 2.49c, this works out at 83c each for three tins, 24c more for the same tin bought individually.

Tesco 32 Cocktail Sausages have gone from €1.39 to €1.59 in the past few weeks.
    I still buy 'em 'cos they're nice (70% pork too!) but it's a bit sneaky when they raise prices like that and hope you won't notice!
    If you were the manager in tesco how would you have handled the price increase? Seriously I would love to know.
    Same price as superquinn online. As the other poster said they are frequently on offer, all the supermarkets tend to have pringles at stupid prices and then on offer the next week.
    Steven81 wrote: »
    Spaghetti hoops 205g costs 59c, you can now buy a 3 pack for 2.49c, this works out at 83c each for three tins, 24c more for the same tin bought individually.
    These show as 1.79 now, google cache does confirm they were 2.49
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=278940947
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Oer1VMstVEIJ:www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/%3Fid%3D278940947+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

Multipacks and larger size packs are very often more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Stillnotworking

Just noticed this while shopping in the new Newry store on Saturday,

NI / UK Price 33p http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=258282016
    ROI Price 85c http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=258282016

According to Tesco the difference is the shipping, wages and rent cost. Seems that their change for good campaign was only marketing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭uli84

Might be mistaken but pretty sure Tesco Pringles regular price was 2.49 or so up until some stage last year. Pity I dont keep the receipts. The regular price did increase a good bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Actually i see in Superquinn that €3,29 is their standard price as well.

Well who would have thunk it, from today pringles are 2 for €4. But beware because on 4 sept buying 2 will increase by a shocking €2.58 -and brace yourself, this increase will be OVERNIGHT!!! I could tell you than in percentages too as it might but don't want people fainting on me.

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=pringles
    According to Tesco the difference is the shipping, wages and rent cost.
    Did they make a statement to that effect? any links?
    Seems that their change for good campaign was only marketing.
    What did you think "change for good" meant. I know some people actually thought they would never, EVER, increase prices again...

Calm down rubadub.

Calm down rubadub.
    No reasonable answer to what I asked you, just as I expected...

No reasonable answer to what I asked you, just as I expected...

Right. I'm not gonna get into an argument; this thread is about price hikes.
    I mentioned a price hike, that's all. Not looking to argue about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Well who would have thunk it, from today pringles are 2 for €4. But beware because on 4 sept buying 2 will increase by a shocking €2.58 -and brace yourself, this increase will be OVERNIGHT!!! I could tell you than in percentages too as it might but don't want people fainting on me.

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=pringles

Did they make a statement to that effect? any links?

What did you think "change for good" meant. I know some people actually thought they would never, EVER, increase prices again...
    Rubadub that 2.58 for two packs, not one. Their price is the same as other retailers. They just happen to have them on multi buy promotion which makes you think you're getting ripped off

Also don't forget that branded product RRPs are usually set by the manufacturer, the retailer just negotiates it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Rubadub that 2.58 for two packs, not one. Their price is the same as other retailers. They just happen to have them on multi buy promotion which makes you think you're getting ripped off

Also don't forget that branded product RRPs are usually set by the manufacturer, the retailer just negotiates it down.

If you only want and need one pack it is full price and expensive for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

foggy_lad wrote: »
    If you only want and need one pack it is full price and expensive for what it is.

But the shelf life is long enough to buy 2 and keep one for later

Noticed another increase for spelt flour. It's the 3rd one in a few month, but Dunnes and Superquinn still have it at the same price.

Funny enough, I'm also about to send a monthly order to Superquinn, that works cheap enough if you use the coupons. I compared prices online to Tesco and have found that a lot of prices are now dearer in Tesco for the same brands. Not that it matters much because I tend to buy items on offer anyway.

Rubadub, of course there is no other alternative to 'overnight increases', and it happens in all stores. But it's more a figure of speech. And judging by their FB page, a lot of Tesco customers have noticed these increases and are not happy about them. Above all when Tesco's answer is to blame wages (I worked for them years ago and I can tell you firsthand that wages and benefits are not their priorities), rising commodities prices, etc. We all know that due to bad weather, political turmoil, etc... prices of food will increase year on year. But how the other stores can offer better prices than Tesco, who are well known to pay very little to producers, is a mistery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

How do you all keep track of the prices ? Do you write them down somewhere or do you just get used to it?
    I know the prices of my staple items but wouldn't know them all

Advertisement