Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco outrageous price hikes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

juneg wrote: »
    How do you all keep track of the prices ? Do you write them down somewhere or do you just get used to it?
    I know the prices of my staple items but wouldn't know them all

I don't know them all either. Mainly just things I buy regularly that I notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I keep all my receipts as I'm the only one who goes food shopping. My OH is incapable of doing a supermarket shop, and he'll admit that himself. He tends to go a bit mad with the ready meals/easy options in Tesco and gets sidetracked by the tools etc in Aldi. (I asked him to get milk and butter this week he came home with a chainsaw. No joke!)

Usually we'll sit down when the utility bills come in and I'll total up the receipts to keep a track on household spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

I tend to buy the same items week in week out. However, I also have a fantastic memory for numbers. When I worked in Tesco years ago, I used to know all the codes by heart (i know, it's a bit sad :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Dinging

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-23765690

20 August 2013

The supermarket chain Tesco was fined £300,000 on Monday after admitting misleading the public over a "half price" offer on strawberries.

The prosecution was brought by Birmingham City Council after it received a complaint from a customer of the store in Sheldon.

Fining the company, the judge said the offer "was not a genuine bargain, but was false and misleading" and "the effect was that thousands of customers were misled."

Birmingham City Council Trading Standards officer Sajeela Naseer said the woman that spotted the misleading offer was "a very tenacious lady".

The company apologised and said staff had been given extra training and reminded on pricing policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

fussyonion wrote: »
    Right. I'm not gonna get into an argument; this thread is about price hikes.
    I mentioned a price hike, that's all. Not looking to argue about it.
    It wasn't all you said, you also made a comment about them being sneaky. Others have made comments along the same lines in this and other threads, comments like "they hope we won't notice". I am genuinely interested to see how you or others would manage pricing in a shop like tesco.
    Rubadub that 2.58 for two packs, not one.
    Yep, thats what I said.
    buying 2 will increase by a shocking €2.58
    Their price is the same as other retailers.
    Some might be cheaper, the only other supermarket I could check online were superquinn which were the same €3.29, which myself and another poster mentioned.
    They just happen to have them on multi buy promotion which makes you think you're getting ripped off
    I was just taking the piss. I don't think its a ripoff at all. A genuine rip off would be if pringles started only half filling the tubes while still quoting full weight.
    juneg wrote: »
    How do you all keep track of the prices ? Do you write them down somewhere or do you just get used to it?
    You can check google cache to see some previous prices. I have seen at least one claim on here which did not match googles history, I would guess the person was purposely exaggerating. You could also take photos of prices on your mobile, this can be very handy for some shopping, I wouldn't do it in tesco, I was shopping for bedroom storage furniture and had a photo or video of items which had dimensions, price, colour etc to jog my memory properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

rubadub wrote: »
    It wasn't all you said, you also made a comment about them being sneaky. Others have made comments along the same lines in this and other threads, comments like "they hope we won't notice". I am genuinely interested to see how you or others would manage pricing in a shop like tesco.

Yep, thats what I said.

Some might be cheaper, the only other supermarket I could check online were superquinn which were the same €3.29, which myself and another poster mentioned.

I was just taking the piss. I don't think its a ripoff at all. A genuine rip off would be if pringles started only half filling the tubes while still quoting full weight.

You can check google cache to see some previous prices. I have seen at least one claim on here which did not match googles history, I would guess the person was purposely exaggerating. You could also take photos of prices on your mobile, this can be very handy for some shopping, I wouldn't do it in tesco, I was shopping for bedroom storage furniture and had a photo or video of items which had dimensions, price, colour etc to jog my memory properly.

No, you're right. I take back my comment.

I do get that supermarkets have to increase prices. I suppose what I was trying to say, in a roundabout way, was that you get used to things being a certain price and then when you go to the supermarket the next week and see it's raised, you kinda go "Oh".

Well, maybe that's just me, but I do.

I understand the point you were trying to make and I digress.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,999 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

In Tesco Dundalk OSC I bought a small sliced crusty loaf priced at 1 euro on the label and two packets of maple flavoured rashers with 6 in each. The first packet of rashers was priced at 2 euro and thats why I took two.
    At the checkout I was charged 1,99 for the bread and had to bring the price to the girl's attention. Then the second packet of rashers (6) was priced at 2,99. Now this was stacked in the same pile as the 2 euro one.

Very sharp practice at Tesco in my view.
    Not the first time I have had similar situations with them.

At the checkout I was charged 1,99 for the bread and had to bring the price to the girl's attention.
    Just so you know, if you want to avail of their policies on overcharging you usually have to pay first and then do your complaining at the customer service desk.

Can't understand what happened with the rashers, were they both maple flavoured like you seem to say? Or was there a yellow sticker saying €2 on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,999 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Just so you know, if you want to avail of their policies on overcharging you usually have to pay first and then do your complaining at the customer service desk.

Can't understand what happened with the rashers, were they both maple flavoured like you seem to say? Or was there a yellow sticker saying €2 on one.

Cheers for that.

On the rasher thing.
    There was a load of packets of Maple flavoured rashers in the same section. The top one said 2 euro. I took two. Both had 6 rashers. The second packet was priced at 2,99. I actually checked again today. There are loads of packets marked 2 euro and a few marked at 2,99. I believe that they should not be all in the same section of the display rack. I think that's sharp practice but probably my own fault for not checking all the prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

Cheers for that.

On the rasher thing.
    There was a load of packets of Maple flavoured rashers in the same section. The top one said 2 euro. I took two. Both had 6 rashers. The second packet was priced at 2,99. I actually checked again today. There are loads of packets marked 2 euro and a few marked at 2,99. I believe that they should not be all in the same section of the display rack. I think that's sharp practice but probably my own fault for not checking all the prices.

seen them, 2 euro pack is 2 euro, 2.99 pack went on offer today at 2 euro (SEL says xxx flashed at 2.99 Save 99c > 2euro) :) but yesterday you could get doube the difference. It often happens to me, but I feel awkward to go to complain why something with sticket 2.99 is 2.99 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Cheers for that.

On the rasher thing.

In fairness that sounds like a manufacturer offer if the sticker was on the rashers. The likes of galtee/denny do that all the time, with rasher packs, ham packs etc, you can find the same product but one may have a flash price direct from the manufacturer. Tesco staff don't go round stickering boxes of goods that come in, they rely purely on the SELs unless an item has a reduced to clear yellow label.

Certainly the shelf stacker may be at fault but if there isn't an extra space for the same product and you've got a part time lad/girl who doesn't really get the difference in products and is just told by the supervisor to have the crate of merchandise unboxed and done by the end of their shift, I can see it happening.

Not as much price hike, but Kellogs cornflakes were on offer for 2 euro yesterday, and today: Crazy prices 1.99 .. Seems crazy to call it crazy prices with only 1c less than normal offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

198321 wrote: »
    Not as much price hike, but Kellogs cornflakes were on offer for 2 euro yesterday, and today: Crazy prices 1.99 .. Seems crazy to call it crazy prices with only 1c less than normal offer.

Every little helps :D Similarly, there were lots of toys in a basket marked 'warehouse clearance' in Clare Hall. Most were reduced by ....... 1 cent. Not even worth the yellow sticker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Tesco recently had chickens on offer @ €2.47 with the previous price quoted as being €6.50 but when chosen the price showed up as being €4. this was because the offer price had not been activated yet, in other words the previous price was €4 but they lied and claimed it was €6.50

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Tesco recently had chickens on offer @ €2.47 with the previous price quoted as being €6.50 but when chosen the price showed up as being €4. this was because the offer price had not been activated yet, in other words the previous price was €4 but they lied and claimed it was €6.50

I think that's allowed, if it was €6.50 for 28 days in the last 3 months
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/pricing/pricing_of_goods_and_services.html
    If a reduction is displayed on an item, the previous price must have been valid for 28 days over the previous three months.

If you find the item you can look at google cache. I can not find any chicken for 2.47 in its history though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I think that's allowed, if it was €6.50 for 28 days in the last 3 months
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/pricing/pricing_of_goods_and_services.html

If you find the item you can look at google cache. I can not find any chicken for 2.47 in its history though.

Sorry that should have read €3.47 and here it is now at €5 today http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268652094

but often they come with product, that wasn't previously on sale, saying half price. It could be 10euro in their system for 28 days ..and than bring it on shelves with Half price 5 euro, even if it's really worth 4euro ..

I think that was the case with chicken fillets recently where somebody complained 4 fillets were on half price, which would mean full price over 10euro, which is insane... They think people are stupid and won't notice, and sad thing is that most people really are and will buy it thinking what a bargain ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I'm totally confused about the 28 day policy - can a shop have it on their system at the high price for 28 days but not put the actual product on the shelf during this period?

I ask as I recently saw a scented candle special offer half price at 3.50 (ish) however I have never seen the candle for sale at 7 euro!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Observed that Tesco have finally reduced their milk prices back 1l 0.75, 3l 2.19
    I wonder why!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Faith2013

You need to shop around. People charge prices that people are willing to pay... Ones people stop buying the prices drop...

Curious how Coke and Pepsi are the same price in Tesco....

Inside Tesco Ireland was always call Treasure Island for a reason.. There is little competition and people here pay way more than UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

The nearest Tesco to us is more than a 2 hour round trip - petrol, time and stock up a necessity about twice a year.
    As the prices have crept up and then jumped wildly, the choices have lessened, we are not happy with quality and so these visits ceased.
    At present, we have no plans to resume or justify trip.
    It turns out that Lidl and Aldi are now within about 1 hour and 15 minutes round trip. They each have some good points and some............ We do get things also from Centra, not local (too much bad food sold to us) and are selective. We do like to support Ireland but are happy to buy Irish within supermarkets when feasible.
    All shopping is ever more considered rather than 'spur of the moment' pensions do not go anywhere really.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭grange mac

Was in tesco earlier in wilton & Lynx was on special offer...€3.99 for one or €5 for 2....this is the standard price with the last 2 years at least. Now the XL cans are retailing for €5.50 which actually works out more than the smaller one....logic tells me that the bigger the can the cheaper the price (I compared the € per liter & the bigger can works out more expensive)...maybe tesco think consumers are stupid??

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

grange mac wrote: »
    Was in tesco earlier in wilton & Lynx was on special offer...€3.99 for one or €5 for 2....this is the standard price with the last 2 years at least. Now the XL cans are retailing for €5.50 which actually works out more than the smaller one....logic tells me that the bigger the can the cheaper the price (I compared the € per liter & the bigger can works out more expensive)...maybe tesco think consumers are stupid??
    I've always noticed that with Waffles and the 4 pack of Bird's Eye Chicken Burgers compared to their Family Value pack of eight. (I think 8)

Three for €5 now though! http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=264758407

grange mac wrote: »
    Your logic is flawed.
    People are savvy to supermarket promotions and tricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Think it's fair to say that the vast majority of customers aren't which is why supermarkets still use such techniques.

Are you saying I'm very very smart :D

I assumed that consumers recognise they are in a shop and that the retailer will do everything they can to make a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭grange mac

Them there are 2 very big assumptions:D

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

snubbleste wrote: »
    Are you saying I'm very very smart :D

I assumed that consumers recognise they are in a shop and that the retailer will do everything they can to make a profit.

Most people are their because they assume that the retailer will have the items they want to buy. The assumption on profit is well down their list I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Aren't you all the lucky ones having Tesco, here in Kilkenny we are not allowed to have the store; apparently the only county in Ireland. It is of no concern to our council that shoppers are travelling far and wide.
    Now I am not saying Tesco is perfect, however they do offer a greater choice, yes it maybe at a price; but it is up to the shopper to decide on value for money.
    I would suggest that there is very little to choose between Tesco, Dunnes or Supervalu, I probably use Supervalu and Aldi as they are close by: whilst complaining I see no one mentions goods which purport to be Irish are not necessarily so.
    So my intention of helping our countrymen or women falls flat, slightly off thread but Supervalu sell Blackwater Yoghurts, sure the first thing that springs to mind County Cork, look at the small Dairy Code, it unfortunately shows the origination as mainland Europe.
    I love a nice piece of cheese, Irish of course, whjy has my supposedly Irish cheese carrying a UK coding, someone said many moons ago that it was sent to the UK for packing purposes, fair enough but why does some of the same brand carry Irish codes.
    A well known irish firm produces Lasagne, c heck the code it originated in Eastern Europe, not that there is anything detrimental but I am trying to support Irish.
    Yes Pringles fluctuate from 3.29 to 2.00, depending on what store, Kit Kat Chunky has the same problem, and Tayto Cheese and Onion where a six pack is dearer than a nine packet takes some believing.
    I use Connaght Gold butter/spreads, now Aldi sell their own brand spreadable butter for around 2.30, Supervalu nearly 3.00 for Connaght gold, iot is the same product, check the code.
    One last one all the supermarkets sell a specialty yoghurt, it appears under different names but the same oval sort of tub, Lidl and Aldi it is 69c, Supervalu 89c Superquinn is now supervalu but it was close to 1 euro, they are the same, check the code made in West Cork.
    Shopping can be fun; wherever you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

What is this code that you speak of?:cool:

Advertisement