Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco outrageous price hikes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

tesco wine gums 250g was 62c last week(up from 56c a few months ago) now 1.25 today. over a 100% increase!

Googles cache history shows these were 1.25 last monday week

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:bwlyFxUcIT0J:www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/%3Fid%3D256582494+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

this cache from 22 sept shows the 62cent price alright though

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ReWV66pDKncJ:www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/browse/default.aspx%3Fnotepad%3Dgoose%26viewMode%3Dgrid%26Nao%3D14940+&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

I stock up when I see unadvertised bargains like this. At the moment caster sugar is going pretty cheap and not advertised as an offer. If you use lots for jam or something it might be worth getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Tesco micro veg, was €.99 then went up to €2.69 for about a month then back down to €.99 no special offer signs.

Tesco spare ribs were €3 reduced to €0.75 in most stores, "special offer" in Cabra €1.50.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

tesco wine gums 250g was 62c last week(up from 56c a few months ago) now 1.25 today. over a 100% increase!

Jelly babies went the same way. They were always 60c and I bought them. Now they are a whopping €1.25 and I won't be buying them any time soon. It's a hilarious and shocking price increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Jelly babies went the same way. They were always 60c and I bought them. Now they are a whopping €1.25 and I won't be buying them any time soon. It's a hilarious and shocking price increase.

It's all strategy

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

I think the strategy is unintelligible to me! I have not been to Tesco this year. I just have to shop elsewhere because it is within 30 minutes drive, not over one and half hour each way, the prices,are far cheaper, the offers on named brands do come around and so that is when the Nescafe and heinz soup/beans are purchased. I am disgusted by the price rises of tissues, kitchen paper and toilet rolls. The prices of fruits in Tesco were terrible, the bargain bags were small amounts and poor quality - they really must think we are stupid. I do not know what they are like now.
    There is some competition now and it has helped us to shop around but there is not nearly enough competition here on ALL services. Until there is we will pay prices that shock most who come here.
    Visitors actually bring food supplies for themselves for the week and also a stock of food to us!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

I think the strategy is unintelligible to me! I have not been to Tesco this year. I just have to shop elsewhere because it is within 30 minutes drive, not over one and half hour each way, the prices,are far cheaper, the offers on named brands do come around and so that is when the Nescafe and heinz soup/beans are purchased. I am disgusted by the price rises of tissues, kitchen paper and toilet rolls. The prices of fruits in Tesco were terrible, the bargain bags were small amounts and poor quality - they really must think we are stupid. I do not know what they are like now.
    There is some competition now and it has helped us to shop around but there is not nearly enough competition here on ALL services. Until there is we will pay prices that shock most who come here.
    Visitors actually bring food supplies for themselves for the week and also a stock of food to us!

I always mean to ask, where do you live? I cant think of a place in the country which is between 1.5 and 2hrs+ away from a Tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I think a lot of the increases are linked to the seasons - ie: ice cream cones went from 1.49 to 1.82 during the hot weather, packet soup prices were down during the summer and sweets and candy have risen just in time for Halloween.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

still showing as 60cent in mine, which should be linked to ballybrack.

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=254573427

You could stock up as I recommended, this is a very good offer, just not advertised as such, as many are not.

24c per kilo, vs €1.10 per kilo for bassets jelly babies. So your €1.25 "whopping price" is still less than 50% of the branded ones, which is pretty good relative to other branded/own brand stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

not really. I can get them in Lidl for 56cent any time and aldi for 62cent any time as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The Tesco wine gums 250g are 62c. Price seems to yoyo quite a bit between 56c upwards http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80456898&postcount=136

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tesco value UHT milk 1l was 79c, then 85c, now 94c. 10% increase
    Same product is 53p/64c in UK

rubadub wrote: »
    still showing as 60cent in mine, which should be linked to ballybrack.

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=254573427

You could stock up as I recommended, this is a very good offer, just not advertised as such, as many are not.

24c per kilo, vs €1.10 per kilo for bassets jelly babies. So your €1.25 "whopping price" is still less than 50% of the branded ones, which is pretty good relative to other branded/own brand stuff.

I hear what you're saying in relation to stocking up but I have a bit of a belly an try to avoid eating them too often as it's easy to eat a pack in one sitting.

Indeed they are good value in relation to the branded packs at €1.25 per pack but that would be a long way from the 60c I've been buying them for, for quite some time.

Anywhoo- maybe it's not such a bad thing if they've gone up in price. At 60c they were always a no brainer to throw into the basket :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭CH3OH

IDShot_225x225.jpg

Tesco Pink Lady 6 pack now €4.99
    think they have always been around €3.39

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Pink lady apple's should have their own thread, always massively overpriced

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

I think a lot of the increases are linked to the seasons - ie: ice cream cones went from 1.49 to 1.82 during the hot weather, packet soup prices were down during the summer and sweets and candy have risen just in time for Halloween.

Clubcard isn't for nothing. The information they yield on purchasing trends will directly effect prices of products.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

CH3OH wrote: »
    IDShot_225x225.jpg

Tesco Pink Lady 6 pack now €4.99
    think they have always been around €3.39

Get them for half that in Aldi.

I found some Irish apples in Dunnes, 1€ for 6, the taste and texture was very close to Pink lady, crisp, sweeet and sharp at the same time, juicy. Lambourne apples. Unfortunately, they don't always stock them so keep an eye for them

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mac4328

Ye must be the most miserable people I have ever come across in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mac4328

Ye must be the most miserable people I have ever come across in my life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

consumers are bein done over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Every time im in Tescos I see the worker's changing the sel's which are the white piece's of paper with bar codes prices and promotional offers etc
    Id say this happens quite frequently. ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Prices and offers change on a weekly, if not daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

Tesco I've noticed not only up prices alot more then justifly
    eg. own brand 15 easy cheese slices from 59cents to 75cents :eek:
    but also remove items for awhile eg own brand everday peanuts ranged round 55/59cents then put back a smaller ver. at higher think the peanuts now back are at 89cents (cheapest ver. u can try compare) and its smaller,
    everday items like milk etc are even cheaper at my local center 3ltrs only 2.39

I seen them throw out food they cud reduced more bread throw in bin 1hr 20mins b4 closing it was reduced bout 20% and staff threw out rather then reduce it bit more 1 man was actually waiting on girl 2 what he tought her repricing and when asked if she putting backout she said no they going in bin :mad: WTF
    It was final straw for me shop there ever again after seeing that WASTE
    I rather pay more after seeing tat (was old man it was late and no other stores nearby he could use instead)
    Lildi,Adli will get alot more my custom now on (been trying there food out since and own brand stuff alot better then Tesco)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

Th3B1tcH wrote: »
    Tesco I've noticed not only up prices alot more then justifly
    eg. own brand 15 easy cheese slices from 59cents to 75cents :eek:
    but also remove items for awhile eg own brand everday peanuts ranged round 55/59cents then put back a smaller ver. at higher think the peanuts now back are at 89cents (cheapest ver. u can try compare) and its smaller,
    everday items like milk etc are even cheaper at my local center 3ltrs only 2.39

I seen them throw out food they cud reduced more bread throw in bin 1hr 20mins b4 closing it was reduced bout 20% and staff threw out rather then reduce it bit more 1 man was actually waiting on girl 2 what he tought her repricing and when asked if she putting backout she said no they going in bin :mad: WTF
    It was final straw for me shop there ever again after seeing that WASTE
    I rather pay more after seeing tat (was old man it was late and no other stores nearby he could use instead)
    Lildi,Adli will get alot more my custom now on (been trying there food out since and own brand stuff alot better then Tesco)

And where do you shop? I've never seen Aldi/Lidl or Supervalu/Centra reduce something, maybe I'm wrong, but they do not even have reduce to clear section like Tesco has. -they get rid of out of date products while shop is closed.

To reduce products to 20% or less is tricky as many people will get used to that and come only about 5pm or 8pm for reductions and will not buy products at full price.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

mmmm reread my post i did say where i shopping mostly now lol

Supervalue (talbot st. reg reduce stuff) and most Centra's all reduce meat/deli stuff end of night
    Plenty of places I found cheaper if u look Dealz is great also :)
    we just need change way we shop we dont check other stores out enough really cheap if u bulk buy on offers also noticed Tesco try curb this abit limit stuff 3 per customer (dont help big familys ) to me we need learn break our bad habit sticking with 1 place just like ur bank, car insurance etc shop around :)

get ur point on reducing but they reduce sumthing eg by 20% it out date tat day and rather throw out to me wasting food is bad no excuse
    and i see stuff no cheaper then if u bought the offer running reg eg 1 pack ham 1.99 reduced maybe from 2.20 when in main aisle they 2 for 4 euro and well in date i'm not talking bigger branches where u see people wait but smaller 1s best i used see reduce was jervis street and santry branches

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭skafish

Th3B1tcH wrote: »
    mmmm reread my post i did say where i shopping mostly now lol

Supervalue (talbot st. reg reduce stuff) and most Centra's all reduce meat/deli stuff end of night
    Plenty of places I found cheaper if u look Dealz is great also :)
    we just need change way we shop we dont check other stores out enough really cheap if u bulk buy on offers also noticed Tesco try curb this abit limit stuff 3 per customer (dont help big familys ) to me we need learn break our bad habit sticking with 1 place just like ur bank, car insurance etc shop around :)

get ur point on reducing but they reduce sumthing eg by 20% it out date tat day and rather throw out to me wasting food is bad no excuse
    and i see stuff no cheaper then if u bought the offer running reg eg 1 pack ham 1.99 reduced maybe from 2.20 when in main aisle they 2 for 4 euro and well in date i'm not talking bigger branches where u see people wait but smaller 1s best i used see reduce was jervis street and santry branches

In English, please

Well was in Tesco last night and Jelly Babies are back to 60c per bag. They and others must as mentioned must have shot up to the €1.25 mark for Halloween.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

198321 wrote: »
    ....... I've never seen Aldi/Lidl or Supervalu/Centra reduce something, maybe I'm wrong, but they do not even have reduce to clear section like Tesco has. -.......

Lidl branches usually have a reduced price area

Lidl also support crosscare

http://www.crosscare.ie/crosscarefoodbank.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=73&Itemid=57

Aldi leave reduced price items in the same shelf position as full priced & just put on a reduced sticker

I've seen a reduced price area in some Supervalu shops ( its not a chain that I know well )

HTH

Olddog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

Well, Aldi in Clonmel and Thurles - no reducted to clear,

Lidl in Cashel, Tipperary town and Clonmel - nothing reduced to clear ..

i've been there many times for small bits ..

maybe tipperary is rich and prosperous county that doesn't need reduced to clear section :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

198321 wrote: »
    And where do you shop? I've never seen Aldi/Lidl or Supervalu/Centra reduce something, maybe I'm wrong, but they do not even have reduce to clear section like Tesco has. -they get rid of out of date products while shop is closed.

To reduce products to 20% or less is tricky as many people will get used to that and come only about 5pm or 8pm for reductions and will not buy products at full price.

Aldi/Lidl do 30% off items that are close to expiry date. Sometimes in a separate section, sometimes with the rest of the items
    My local Centra also has reduced to clear stickers on some items and bread is reduced in the evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I'm glad to see Lidl support a food bank, I was shocked at how many fresh bread lines they had available 2 hours from close on a quite Saturday night.

I hate to see food wasted, but even if it is put in a 'bin' it is recycled into animal feed etc.

Prices in all supermarkets change daily, about 10% of stock. No idea about Lidl / Aldi.

Is it just me or does baby food etc increase every time there's a good offer on booze?

Advertisement