Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco outrageous price hikes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Is it just me or does baby food etc increase every time there's a good offer on booze?

well it is mickey money day tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

198321 wrote: »
    I've never seen Aldi/Lidl or Supervalu/Centra reduce something, maybe I'm wrong, but they do not even have reduce to clear section like Tesco has.
    I have gotten discounted bread in lidl deansgrange several times. It was just in with the normal bread with a generic sticker with the new price written on (not like tesco where they have proper barcodes).

I have seen other discounted things thrown into the milk section, like hot dogs. Never that great a reduction.

Tesco seem to have a random policy, often the discounted stuff has next to nothing off it these days. But the other night I got about €25 worth of stuff of for about €1.50, this was not that late either, in tesco they seem to keep overlabelling as time goes on, with lower & lower prices as it gets near closing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Tesco own brand Cheese Puffs used to be €1.09 and they're now €1.65 also some others have gone up in price, all marked as "bigger bag" which morally just means "more air" :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Pink lady apples now 4.99 up from 3 something. Last year they were 2.99 and I accepted the rise. Not this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

greenman09 wrote: »
    Pink lady apples now 4.99 up from 3 something. Last year they were 2.99 and I accepted the rise. Not this time.

Any of the brand apples in Tesco are shockingly priced. I get their basic red apple bag at €1.79, I think it is.. You can get caught out unless you're alert to what you're dumping into your trolley/basket.

• Advertisement

Amalgam wrote: »
    Any of the brand apples in Tesco are shockingly priced. I get their basic red apple bag at €1.79, I think it is.. You can get caught out unless you're alert to what you're dumping into your trolley/basket.

This rise is only in the last 7 days shocking stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭CH3OH

greenman09 wrote: »
    This rise is only in the last 7 days shocking stuff

I posted about the Pink Lady apples when I put them back on the shelf on the 26th October, so they are gone up over 2 weeks.
    I actually asked a manager how much did he think 6 Pink Lady apples were.
    He had 3 guesses and had only got to €2.
    As long as people buy them, Tesco will keep the price up.

We bought the 6 pack last week and they were 3€ odd. I was gonna ask why the rise but I didn't fancy being lied to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

bear in mind that with fruit, it's being sourced from different countries depending on the time of year.
    eg. something from Spain during the summer/autumn might have to be sourced from Argentina/South Africa during the winter, making them more expensive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tesco have upped their Tesco milk again 1l 0.85, 2l 1.69, 3l 2.45
    But they've introduced another own label milk at the old price point. Label has NDC and IE stamp.
    We're being ripped off as Creamfields milk retails at 44p/l (53c)in Uk, yet 74c/l here :mad:

• Advertisement

Got this from tesco re my query on their price rises

Hi Greenman

Thank you for contacting us. I was sorry to learn that you are disappointed with the recent price increases in our store. I appreciate your views.

Unfortunately, some price increases are often out of our control. We do try to hold these back as long as possible, because our aim is to offer our customers the best service, quality and value for money that we can.

However, it can be slightly misleading to look at the prices of a few selected items. We are confident that we offer highly competitive prices throughout our extensive range of products and excellent value for money overall.

Our buyers work very hard to negotiate the best prices available. When we do obtain any price reductions, we pass them on to our customers immediately.

Kindest Regards
    Becky - Customer Care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

snubbleste wrote: »
    Tesco have upped their Tesco milk again 1l 0.85, 1.69, 3l 2.45
    But they've introduced another own label milk at the old price point. Label has NDC and IE stamp.
    We're being ripped off as Creamfields milk retails at 44p/l (53c)in Uk, yet 74c/l here :mad:

The difference in milk quality between the UK and Ireland more than makes up for the difference in price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Humzinger fruit bars (handy for the kids' packed lunches): 2.29€, now 2.55€. Superquinn: 2.19€

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Here is a "Special" Offer in Tesco from Tomorrow, Note the subtle price increase disguised as a special offer!

282045.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

Magnum double chocolate ice cream(which i ocassionaly indulge in now) has gone up by 2 euro,was 3 euro,now 5 something..

Rip off happened to me out in coonagh tesco limerick. Im very wary of their offers too,3 for 2 sounds like a good deal but do ya really need 3 of them greedy guts :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭nc6000

Just back from my local Tesco. Found that the Tesco Finest Mortadella has gone from €2.20 to €2.79. No change in size or anything, just a price increase. In fact I'd be pretty sure that the pack I got for €2.20 last week and the one tonight for €2.79 were from the same batch as they had the same best-before dates. Jazz Apples have also almost doubled in price over the last couple of weeks and the Tesco Greek Yogurt I buy has gone from 99c to €1.44. The one in Aldi has been 99c for at least 3 years now.

These are just 3 items I've noticed big increases in.

That's enough of Tesco for me, they are having a laugh now with these unjustified price increases. From now on I'll be buying as much as possible in Aldi and only going near Tesco for the absolute bare minimum.

We would usually receive between €15 and €20 in clubcard vouchers each time so that's roughly €1,500 a quarter we must have been spending in the place. I hope Tesco spend the 59c wisely because they'll be making very little off me in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,127 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Aldi and Lidl for fruit & vegs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Aldi and Lidl for fruit & vegs.

Was in both Aldi and Tesco today. While I availed of some of the Aldi veg offers (Leeks, Mushrooms and Parsnips) I went to get carrots and actually put them back down because a kg bag was priced at €1.79. (I'm almost certain this was the price because if they were any cheaper I probably would have bought them). I had to go to Tesco for a few bits anyway so I said I would price tesco for carrots thinking they couldn't be any dearer. Imagine my surprise when they were only 99c for a kilo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,127 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Was in both Aldi and Tesco today. While I availed of some of the Aldi veg offers (Leeks, Mushrooms and Parsnips) I went to get carrots and actually put them back down because a kg bag was priced at €1.79. (I'm almost certain this was the price because if they were any cheaper I probably would have bought them). I had to go to Tesco for a few bits anyway so I said I would price tesco for carrots thinking they couldn't be any dearer. Imagine my surprise when they were only 99c for a kilo.

Lidl's were organic at that price. Big juicy carrots and very tasty. Got some yesterday.
    They also had the cheaper ones. Can't remember the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Lidl's were organic at that price. Big juicy carrots and very tasty. Got some yesterday.
    They also had the cheaper ones. Can't remember the price.

It was Aldi and they were the regular cheap carrots in the regular packaging, I get them all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Wholegrain spelt flour: 2.99€. Still 2.39€ at Superquinn

Magnum double chocolate ice cream(which i ocassionaly indulge in now) has gone up by 2 euro,was 3 euro,now 5 something
    Keep an eye out so, these price increases usually mean a half price deal is coming. The higher price will have to be legally there for about a month before they can claim its reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭dasa29

It was Aldi and they were the regular cheap carrots in the regular packaging, I get them all the time.

Hi borderlinemeath are you sure you are not mixing up the price of the 1kg bag with the 2kg bag of carrots. I got carrots in aldi last week at €1.79 for 2kg.

rubadub wrote: »
    Keep an eye out so, these price increases usually mean a half price deal is coming. The higher price will have to be legally there for about a month before they can claim its reduced.

So it is not a real offer at all just more lies and cheating by the tesco marketing army.

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=255422467
    These were reduced from almost €4 last week to €1.69 but

http://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/shopping/shop.aspx?prodid=1016002000
    SuperValu have it at the normal price of €1.20 which still beats tesco's half price offer price.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    So it is not a real offer at all just more lies and cheating by the tesco marketing army.
    well fancy that, a dishonest marketing team ;)!
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=255422467
    These were reduced from almost €4 last week to €1.69 but

Google cache shows these were 1.69 on the 16th november

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:l80yzhCWQaIJ:www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/%3Fid%3D255422467+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

So if you did see them for €4 last week it only went up days after and at that high a price was probably a mistake.

Its a 3 for 2 offer too, so for 3 it is €1.13 each, so supervalu's does not beat that, if that's what you meant by "still beats tesco's half price offer price."

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭peewee_44

I stopped shopping in Tesco over a month ago after making a random trip to Aldi, I was shocked at the price difference and I think the quality is just the same. Since shopping in Aldi I have not had a shopping bill over €100 for me, my partner and a lil girl. Tesco are a rip off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭Ratzo Rizzo

Stopped shopping in Tesco long ago...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

Tesco had a load of things i cannot get in the other supermarkets,the shop list really is done in 1.lidl 2.aldi and 3.dunnes thats about it lotta running around but worth it..

Here is a definite price hike disguised as a special offer

282045.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭PeteK*

How can you compare Aldi/Lidl to Tesco when they only have cheaper alternatives? Yeah, Tesco have Tesco products, but they still have the usual brands, too.

Advertisement