Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco outrageous price hikes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

dasa29 wrote: »
    Hi borderlinemeath are you sure you are not mixing up the price of the 1kg bag with the 2kg bag of carrots. I got carrots in aldi last week at €1.79 for 2kg.

It's very possible, although I'm sure I would have noticed when I picked them up that they weigh double what I would normally buy. I picked them up and reconsidered when I saw the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Tesco stole Foggy lads baby. Either that, or he has an unhealthy obsessive compulsive disorder for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

PeteK* wrote: »
    How can you compare Aldi/Lidl to Tesco when they only have cheaper alternatives? Yeah, Tesco have Tesco products, but they still have the usual brands, too.

Lidl sell quite a number of brands at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

MYOB wrote: »
    Lidl sell quite a number of brands at this stage.

I'm actually going there less and less because of this.

If I wanted to buy overpriced brand name stuff, I'd go to Tesco.
    They're also pushing their deluxe range, looking to maximise profits I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

PeteK* wrote: »
    How can you compare Aldi/Lidl to Tesco when they only have cheaper alternatives? Yeah, Tesco have Tesco products, but they still have the usual brands, too.
    I don't see the problem, a lot of the cheaper alternatives in aldi/lidl are superior to the "usual brands".

Some people seem to automatically presume own brands are a poorer version of own brands. I see no reason why this should be the case, if anything logic would tell me the own brands can easily be superior. A huge make up of the cost of branded products is the advertising, so the own brands can afford to use better ingredients.

Also you have well established brands like heinz ketchup that many people find OK & acceptable. Now the food producers working on own brands have a perfect "goal post" set for them. They can bring in tasters and develop a product which the majority will find superior or at least on a par with.

Now if somebody is incredibly choosy and insists on buying branded products, they might not think its a fair comparison alright -but in this thread I did not see much of that going on.

Just found this article actually
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1387285/Red-faced-Heinz-ketchup-comes-BOTTOM-taste-tests.html
    It may be the nation’s favourite, but Heinz ketchup has lost out to cheaper supermarket rivals in a blind taste test – coming second to last in a league table of 13 tomato sauces.
    It was beaten by eight own-brand ketchups, including those from Lidl and Morrisons, with tasters describing its flavour as ‘artificial, bitter and vinegary

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1387285/Red-faced-Heinz-ketchup-comes-BOTTOM-taste-tests.html#ixzz2ly7SMMKL
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    LEAGUE OF THE BEST
    1. Sainsbury's
    2. Marks & Spencer
    3. Tesco
    4. Co-op
    5. Branston
    6. Kania, Lidl
    7. Morrisons
    8. Waitrose
    9. Asda
    10. Hellmann's
    11. Bramwells, Aldi
    12. Heinz
    13. Daddies
    So I might be wrong in thinking they should pick heinz as the standard to beat.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    So I might be wrong in thinking they should pick heinz as the standard to beat.

Heinz ketchup has a very distinctive taste though, I'd imagine the taster(s) didn't like that taste. Also has a much higher % of tomatoes in it than some of the own brands, which can (but obviously not all are) be effectively vinegar with some tomato puree in it. Lidl being one exception to this I'm aware of, theirs is very similar in content.

If anything, that scale would suggest that most of the producers haven't got the Heinz taste matched at all - or else they'd have scored similar to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

All these stores are taking us for mugs. I think Marks and Spencer are a pure disgrace. I recently moved back to Dublin after many years working in the UK, I can't believe the prices. I did some research and they effectively use at best a 1.4 exchange rate. I found one particular item (not in my price range but...) Cashmere coat, cost in the UK £499 (approx €600) price in M&S Ireland €869. WHAT!! The Irish Nation should boycott M&S and all other similar outlets that are preying on their ability to manipulate the Euro rate compared to Sterling. :mad:

British retailers have dubbed Ireland "treasure island". They can slap on outrageous mark ups and us stupid paddies pay up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

Im not a huge fan of british retailers,where i have to buy british i will,but i actually buy a lot of irish and i do my food shop in lidl /aldi(wah i know its german but its cheap) and dunnes odd time superquinn/supervalu..

Keeping it in the country is important too..

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭skafish

All these stores are taking us for mugs. I think Marks and Spencer are a pure disgrace. I recently moved back to Dublin after many years working in the UK, I can't believe the prices. I did some research and they effectively use at best a 1.4 exchange rate. I found one particular item (not in my price range but...) Cashmere coat, cost in the UK £499 (approx €600) price in M&S Ireland €869. WHAT!! The Irish Nation should boycott M&S and all other similar outlets that are preying on their ability to manipulate the Euro rate compared to Sterling. :mad:

I was in a British chain store a few years ago, in the runup to Christmas, and was enraged by this very fact. It so happened I had been to London earlier that same week, so had some sterling cash in my wallet. At the time, the UK retailers didn't bother to cover up the different prices.

To cut along story story short, I filled my shopping trolly with about £250 worth of clothes. The place was busy, so I had to queue for a while. By the time I reached the cash desk, I had totted up the prices. The cashier scanned my stuff, and asked me for €356 or so. I explained I wanted to pay in sterling, and that I had come to the total of £266. After a few minutes, as the queue was growing behind me, the manager arrived. I told him my situation. He said, no problem, and asked me for £310. I explained that as the items I wanted to purchase were priced in sterling, I was entitled to pay the price as advertised.
    He said that wouldn't be possible,as the store had to charge the Irish prices, but had converted that price to sterling to do me a favor!!
    I said the price total, clearly marked in pounds sterling, was £266, and why was there such a difference. Based on his conversion of €356 equating to £310, (about 15%), the correct euro price, based on the prices in sterling on the price tags, £266 equates to €305 or so. A difference of €50, or about 16% on top of the conversion rate.
    He started into a spiel about higher costs in Ireland etc. and that the company were not ripping people off. But was adamant he had to have €356 or £310, not the £266 as per the price tags.
    After a few more minutes of too ing and frowing, security arrived and asked me to leave.

Treasure Ireland indeed.

I haven't been back since, but I doubt the loss of my custom has made much difference to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

skafish wrote: »
    Treasure Ireland indeed.

I haven't been back since, but I doubt the loss of my custom has made much difference to them.

Indeed, but I reckon this post in itself could potentially make much more of a difference than merely the loss of your custom.

• Advertisement

jprboy wrote: »
    Indeed, but I reckon this post in itself could potentially make much more of a difference than merely the loss of your custom.

Hopefully.:D:D:D

Mind you, wouldn't it be interesting to see what would happen if, for example, 50 boardsies turned up to on branch of M&S or Debenhams with fist fulls of sterling and demanded to pay the sterling price, in sterling?

Mind you, its not all one way (and I realise I'm drifting away from the original Tesco based discussion, but....). See below from boots.ie: http://www.boots.ie/en/Gillette-Styler-Gift-Set_1401572/ Styler razor from gillette for €13.15.
    Same thing on the UK site: http://www.boots.com/en/Gillette-Styler-Gift-Set_1401572/ the same thing for £16.
    A quick guess, but that means the Irish shops are about €7 cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Hopefully.:D:D:D

Mind you, wouldn't it be interesting to see what would happen if, for example, 50 boardsies turned up to on branch of M&S or Debenhams with fist fulls of sterling and demanded to pay the sterling price, in sterling?

I was actually thinking that after reading your first post !!!!

Could be a new craze.

First came flash mobbing, then we had flash shopping :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I know this isn't Tesco related, but I only shop on-line at Debenhams, and then only on heavily discounted items. Use 'em!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

All that nagging on FB worked: the pink lady apples are now 3.29€ for 6 (having been priced at 4.99€ for at least 6 weeks)

Heinz ketchup has a very distinctive taste though, I'd imagine the taster(s) didn't like that taste.
    Link said the magazine Which? used 130 tasters, you seem to be inferring it could have been a fluke/freak occurrence to find it coming last, 130 is a fair amount in my book, and they were not hand picked by some supermarket. It is not like they definitely said Heinz was manky either, its simply low on the list.

I never found heinz to be distinct, I have no loyalty and try all sorts of ketchups, the only ones I think I would pick out in a blind test are chef, kandee and a polish one, Pudliszki you get in supermarkets now (which I now see is made by heinz).
    Also has a much higher % of tomatoes in it than some of the own brands
    Did you just hear this or actually look at bottles. I am always reading labels, Heinz is quite low in tomato compare to most I see. The real cheapo own brands can be lower, but most standard own brands are very close or higher, most other non-own brands are higher.

Heinz -Tomatoes (132g per 100g Ketchup
    chef Tomatoes (140g per 100g of Ketchup
    tesco standard repared with 175g of tomatoes per 100g of finished product
    hellmans (made with 169g of Tomatoes per 100g of Ketchup)
    tesco value Prepared with 116g of tomatoes per 100g of finished product

so the value one is lower, it is really cheap, but I would not have said it was "much higher"
    . I explained that as the items I wanted to purchase were priced in sterling, I was entitled to pay the price as advertised.
    Where did you get this notion that you are entitled to pay in sterling? Dual pricing has been around for many decades now, certainly nothing new. If this was a legal entitlement don't you think it would be common knowledge by now and everybody would have been buying books, newspapers and magazines in sterling, or whatever was the cheapest currency listed on the item.

I've looked at the bottles - some time ago. Heinz have cut the tomato content going on those figures. Or my memory is completely fragged

HP 364 4 pack printer cartridge €45.99 in Tesco. Exact same pack in Argos is €29.99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

I have given up playing Tesco's little games. I have cashed in my chips and permanently switched to Aldi and the odd trip to Dunnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

I explained that as the items I wanted to purchase were priced in sterling, I was entitled to pay the price as advertised.

what UTTER RUBBISH.I'd say they had a great laugh at the stupidity of your statement.

If you ever are out of work, can you ask the social welfare for UK social welfare rates please.

Or if you are paying property tax, can you please pay the UK level.

Maybe if you are buying diesel, you can pay the sterling price.

The currency of the Republic of Ireland is euro - that's the sales contract you are entering and if you don't like it move to the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Here's a good article in The Guardian about Tesco........the comments are very interesting......

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/dec/04/tesco-whats-gone-wrong-uk-largest-supermarket

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

I heard on another tesco thread that tesco management are hiring out a company to kill cats,as the management there sees them as pests..

The only thing that would bring cats to tescos is rats and leftover food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i don't know what is going on at Tesco Douglas these past few weeks (rumours say there is a new manager in there) but they are scamming customers left right and center lately.

further to my previous warning in bargain alerts of:
    hoodwinked wrote: »
    Just a bargain and a warning, today in Tesco Douglas i saw they moved the advent calendars, its the cadbury one that cause issue,

the 90g ones (where all the chocolates are the same size) are on offer for €2,

BUT on the exact same shelf (with no other price label) are the more expensive ones (where the chocolates get bigger coming up to christmas)

i wish i had my phone to take a photo but the expensive ones were over the €2 SEL (which was the only price label on that whole shelf) and scanning at full price. Its deliberate misleading by Tesco, and it won't work for Double the difference as its clearly labeled the 90g ones.

Tesco Douglas are at it again,

we picked up dolls for a disney series a about a month or two ago at full price (white label) at €5.99 each, i saw today they are currently yellow label 'on offer' at €5.99, this is not the case as that is equal to their usual price,

My aunt was in there today, she picked up the 9 cans of 7up for €4 at the door where there was plenty of stock on display, when she got to the till the staff on the till pointed out that today the 12 cans of 7up were only €3.50, no posters, no displays, she had to go to the aisle with the cans where there they were with a white label saying €3.50. so they put a white label as to not draw attention to the clearly loss making offer.

then last month they had a 3 for 2 on all beauty (excluding razors, baby food...etc the usuals) so we picked up our 3 things as usually they are expensive (radox, shampoo, lynx....etc) only for them not to scan 3 for 2, when questioned at customer service we were told the lynx was the problem as it wasn't under beauty but was in fact under medicines and therefore not in the offer :confused:

i am not sure if it is Tesco, or Tesco Douglas but these issues were pretty much non existant in this particular store previously, and they would have always corrected their mistakes before for us but lately they are correcting one problem sign and changing another.

its becoming a blatent rip off to shop there recently....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Had a laugh in Tesco earlier. Chicago Town Deep Dish pizza (320g) on special offer for 3euro. Back in the summer, they had them on special offer for 1.50, then on special offer again in October for 2 quid. Some inflation right there. No wonder their stores do be half empty and they certainly were at Xmas time.
    Uk comparison: http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/frozen_pizza_and_breads/chicago_town_deep_dish_chicken_melt_pizza_2_per_pack_320g.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

those pizzas were a non-offer price of €2.99, then they increased it to €3.29 in line with SuperValu.
    now they can sell for a penny higher than their old standard price, and perceive it to be a bargain.
    pretty much par for the course for Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

The local store has them at 3 quid on special offer. Guess its different in each store. They ain't fooling anyone whatever the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

I found the spelt flour at 2.39€ at Superquinn. Tesco have increased it to 2.99€ now, up from original price of 2.39€

I couldn't get over how expensive their fruits and vegs were last week when I visited for the first time in a looooooong time. Only got the fairtrade bananas which are the same price as Aldi's

I wonder if Tesco monitor these comments, and what they make of them if they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

I wonder if Tesco monitor these comments, and what they make of them if they do?

They probably do but I doubt any of the posts on here come as a surprise to them. They know exactly what they are at.

• Advertisement

moxin wrote: »
    Some inflation right there.
    I presume most of these offers are really coming from the manufacturer, just like the cheap cans they get in.

I have said before many of the best offers are not advertised in tesco, they prey on fools who blindly fall for sale signs, and that's fine by me since then they can afford to have real offers for people who bother to actual look for good value.

I have been getting these pizzas,

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=277942532

only €1.31 and not advertised as an offer, decent amount of pepperoni, 12%, you'd be lucky to get the pepperoni on its own for that price!

People say things like "do tesco think we are fools", well I see fools blindly picking up bogus offers all the time, so I would say yes, certainly tesco know fools are out there, just like I do.

Advertisement