Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco outrageous price hikes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

I've never tried that pizza before but the point is as you say its up to the consumer to "watch it" and they have as Tesco have lost market share lately. If they just stopped moving the prices up and down constantly every couple of months and then falsely claiming the price change as "price reductions" and then settled on a fixed price for a period till costs make that product a bit dearer(add a few cent instead of juggling the prices around). At least in Aldi\Lidl you don't get that Tesco pricing nonsense, you'll know what the prices are when you walk into the store on each visit. No messing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

The price of a large bottle of Smirnoff Ice has jumped up.
    Used to be €7.XX ?
    Now it's €9.07.

Lidl are still selling the absolutely lovely Belgian Leffe Blonde Beer for €5.49 ( 4 x small bottles )

Tesco have started selling them at €8.35. ( They're a fiver sterling on Tesco.com )
    I was wondering whether that's part of their price promise, and I'd get back €2.86 per pack ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

moxin wrote: »
    I've never tried that pizza before but the point is as you say its up to the consumer to "watch it" and they have as Tesco have lost market share lately. If they just stopped moving the prices up and down constantly every couple of months and then falsely claiming the price change as "price reductions" and then settled on a fixed price for a period till costs make that product a bit dearer(add a few cent instead of juggling the prices around). At least in Aldi\Lidl you don't get that Tesco pricing nonsense, you'll know what the prices are when you walk into the store on each visit. No messing.

This is exactly why I have stopped shopping in tesco after 20 years. I've had enough of it. It has become less like shopping and more like foraging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Pretty impressive considering Tesco Ireland as it is hasn't been trading in Ireland for 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Pretty impressive considering Tesco Ireland as it is hasn't been trading in Ireland for 20 years.
    There was a tesco near me in the 1980's.
    moxin wrote: »
    At least in Aldi\Lidl you don't get that Tesco pricing nonsense, you'll know what the prices are when you walk into the store on each visit. No messing.
    There is no nonsense in lidl, but also not really the same reductions they can have either (and I am not talking bogus offers here with high % quoted). Many people recommended never shopping without a list, I am the opposite, I have almost zero brand loyalty and am not fussy, so I don't mind tescos strategy, I take advantage. Their website allows you to search for only whats on offer, so more recently I have begun to use a list, but not the way most people form a list, mine is solely comprised of offers. I used to end up finding better offers and having to go back ditching previous stuff I got.

I said before I don't mind tescos pricing as I know loads of people get stung, which allows the great offers to be had, many unadvertised as such. If they followed lidl's pricing my typical spend in tesco would go up, other peoples would go down.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    There was a tesco near me in the 1980's.

I said Tesco as it is. The Tesco from the 80s was a failure and was sold to a number of different other companies within a couple of years and was long gone by the late 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Gunslinger99

The price of a large bottle of Smirnoff Ice has jumped up.
    Used to be €7.XX ?
    Now it's €9.07.

Lidl are still selling the absolutely lovely Belgian Leffe Blonde Beer for €5.49 ( 4 x small bottles )

Tesco have started selling them at €8.35. ( They're a fiver sterling on Tesco.com )
    I was wondering whether that's part of their price promise, and I'd get back €2.86 per pack ?

I'd love try this on them would they be obliged to refund you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

This article out today confirmed my anecdotal Xmas in the previous post #655 :)
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/retail-and-services/consumers-switch-to-discount-supermarkets-for-christmas-1.1661685
    UK supermarket chain Tesco saw its market share fall by 6.2 per cent over Christmas, as consumers diverted their wallets to low cost discounters Aldi and Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'd love try this on them would they be obliged to refund you ?

What do you mean? They aren't obliged to do anything unless there is something wrong with them.

MadYaker wrote: »
    What do you mean? They aren't obliged to do anything unless there is something wrong with them.

They are talking about this
    http://www.tescopricepromise.ie/HowItWorks

You can't just buy a load of beer.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

No posts for a month.
    Have Tesco stopped their price hikes? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

snubbleste wrote: »
    No posts for a month.
    Have Tesco stopped their price hikes? :p

No. People have stopped going to Tesco!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

No. People have stopped going to Tesco!

Exactly. I barely shop there anymore, only when I need something before or after Dunnes and Lidl's opening times, or on my way to work to pick up bread and salad for my lunch. The last time I was in, I checked my usuals and the prices had gone up again. The less customers they have, the more they rise their prices, someone in management will need to wake up and smell the coffee, Irish shoppers are no longer throwing things in the trolley without checking the prices

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Irish shoppers are no longer throwing things in the trolley without checking the prices
    Over in bargain alerts loads of people are doing just that, checking prices instore on scanners in tesco and getting loads of things for 1 cent. Its stuff that's not really meant to be on sale anymore, and not just bars or something, one guy got a 32" sony tv for 1cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

tesco feeling the pinch alright with Aldi and lidl the clear winners.

rubadub wrote: »
    Over in bargain alerts loads of people are doing just that, checking prices instore on scanners in tesco and getting loads of things for 1 cent. Its stuff that's not really meant to be on sale anymore, and not just bars or something, one guy got a 32" sony tv for 1cent.

That's not what I meant. Years ago, I was a cashier at Tesco and the trolleys heaved with items that people clearly didn't need or didn't check the prices of. My husband used to go shopping and would put whatever he fancied in the basket, he wanted juice but couldn't decide apple or orange? Take both!
    I can see people are more careful now and I've heard a few shoppers comment on the prices.

On the other hand, bargain hunters clearly check the price for bargains, and certainly buy items they don't really need but at 1c, who wouldn't be tempted to buy a few useless things? Although the TV was a real gem!

I agree that Tesco can have massive deals and I have been hunting myself but to be honest it's no longer worth the trip. I very rarely find things that I have use for or even the space for. And considering that I'll no longer do the rest of my shopping there, I don't see the point of spending time and petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bandy B

Kathy22 wrote: »
    I was in Tesco the other night and 2 items I normally buy have more than doubled in price. With this in mind I had a look at a few other items I normally buy and they too are slowly going up.

Tesco Chicken Kievs - they were all €1.79 less than 2 months back and on offer at 2 for €3. Then they slowly made their way to €1.99 for approx 1.5 months and now they are €2.20 each.

I also noticed the price of Pepsi and coke creeping up, they used to be in the region of €1.19-€1.21 and now they have gone up to €1.58. Of course when they go on sepecial offer the savings are much greater when in reality they are just ripping people off.

The biggest price hike I saw was a Tesco own brand Lemon Iced Madeira Cake, this is something I get a lot and it is normally in the region of €1.70. When I went in store the other day it was €4.60. That is almost triple the price, it is the same price online so not a store specific mistake. Are they for real?

(http://www.polyvore.com/tesco_lemon_iced_madeira_cake/thing?id=7827115)

Also Tesco soft cheese always in the .70c range is now more than doubled to €1.65.

THANK GOD I have an Aldi and Lidl close by. I normally use Tesco as a back up for things I cannot get in either of those. I hate shopping there but there is always something we need but this is just extortion!!!!!!

Tesco is not cheap and even with their new "tesco price promise" its a load of crap! spent €188 last night on a big shop that wpould cost me around €110 in lidl or aldi. Now i know brands are different but even at that €70 difference! Is it even worth it? oh and i got €2.79 back to spend on my price promise which i have to spend back in tesco! :(

The price promise is a load of crap. You can't prove anything, of course, and because they don't include all items in their comparison then it's very biased.

I got a 'today your shopping wouldn't have been cheaper in Aldi or Lidl' receipt last time I shopped there. I only did the shopping there because my only time slot was 6 o'clock in the morning, knowing full well that prices would be more expensive. I bought a lot of own brand items, yogurts, cheese, etc. None of them were compared to Lidl or Aldi's because I know the prices of the same items in these stores and yes, they are cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

The problem with Tesco is a complete lack of honesty to their customers. I have done many price comparisons on products that I normally purchase and Aldi always ends up cheaper or on rare occasions the same price.

The Tesco price promise is nothing but smoke and mirrors and deception as Tesco continue to treat their customers like idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

juneg wrote: »
    This is exactly why I have stopped shopping in tesco after 20 years. I've had enough of it. It has become less like shopping and more like foraging

Lol. Its true you have to double check absolutely every price and date. Because you've no trust in the retail it make its very tiring shopping there.

Are tesco prices the same countrywide. because I think some tesco's seem to be cheaper than other ones. But maybe because some shops I'm comparing with spar and the like and others with centra depending on location.

So in one location I have a choice of spar or tesco. In another about 10 other retailers and tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

beauf wrote: »
    Are tesco prices the same countrywide. because I think some tesco's seem to be cheaper than other ones.
    They're not all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

About a month ago I discovered a nice merlot in Tesco for €4.69. I was delighted and went to buy more the next week to see the price had risen to €5.29. I still bought it because it was still really good value for that price. The following week it had risen to €5.69 and yes, I bought again because it was so nice. Just back from there now and it has gone up to €6.99!!! (I didn't buy it). I can't see any justification for this only that it was wrongly priced in the first place but I just object to the sneaky way the put it up every week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'd have to try it to offer an opinion??

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

beauf wrote: »
    I'd have to try it to offer an opinion??

It's called Vineyards, I don't know if it's a Tesco own brand or not. I've only seen it in my local shop. Anyhow I won't be buying it again.

Apparently, the increases are just 'pricing errors': http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/pricewatch-readers-queries-1.1700538?page=1

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Apparently, the increases are just 'pricing errors': http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/pricewatch-readers-queries-1.1700538?page=1

:rolleyes:

Unbelievable incompetence. Tesco, ever heard of double checks and controls on your prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

My favourite has to be the bananas..

€1.99 for a bag of five, prominent display near the main entrance at the Tesco branch, Bloomfields, Dún Laoghaire, South County Dublin.

So it goes..

€1.99 for a bag of five bananas
    €3.00 for any two bags of bananas.

Ten bananas for €3.00.

Yet, on the same marquee are the loose bananas at €1.25 or so, per kilo!

It's bad when Eurospar's prices 'look good' compared to Tesco.

Dried figs are sold in measly 250g bags for just under €4 in South Dublin Tesco branches, yet, Central Dublin branches have 440g bags of dried figs for €2.79. Both Tesco branded.

Recent convert to Aldi. Buying six or seven items negates the bus fare journey home and I'm still up on the Tesco price total.

In fairness, the bagged and lose banana thing is the same in most places, it was always like that in my local Superquinn, now Supervalu, and I think it still is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

snubbleste wrote: »
    Tesco Value 30m foil is €1.09
    Now €1.19..but still only 54p/65c in UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭thimble

ThisRegard wrote: »
    In fairness, the bagged and lose banana thing is the same in most places, it was always like that in my local Superquinn, now Supervalu, and I think it still is.

I think they rely on people not doing the comparison because they don't have a mental image of roughly how many bananas (or whatever item) are in a kilo.

Advertisement