Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco outrageous price hikes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I wish my local Tesco would make up its' mind about how much it wants to charge for a bag of mixed chillies.

For the past two years, they've been 85cent.
    Six months ago, they were suddenly €1.19. Fine, things go up in price, I still bought them.
    Last month, they were back to 85cent and the other day I saw them for €1.29.

Denny Roast Turkey slices were marked at €2-WAS €2.99 last week.
    This week: WAS €4, NOW ONLY €3.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭apsalar

Went to get the partner some cheap beer for movie night. We used to get Bier d'or at around €8...(used to be 6.79 some time back).

Tonight - €10!! when did that happen? Methinks they noticed that this brand was always sold out by around 10 pm in our local shop and upped the price accordingly. Not sure if it's nationwide but am very sore about it. I don't drink beer but the oh actually liked it. With all the squeeze on our budget this was a tiny luxury for him...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Fruice 1l orange juice was €1.25 €1.39 €1.49 €1.59 now €1.76
    Climbing up steadily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

snubbleste wrote: »
    Fruice 1l orange juice was €1.25 €1.39 €1.49 €1.59 now €1.76
    €1.76 but 2 for 2.50. The fruice 1L tropical and the apple & berry are both only 1.29 and not marked as an offer, i.e. they jack up the price of the others so the 2 for 2.50 appears better. Tropical juices are usually more expensive or the same price as standard orange.

So the steady rise was probably to allow them legally claim it is reduced.

Fruice is owned by coca cola, I am very surprised at how cheap it sometimes is. It often has great reductions which you do not often see with other juices, seems they follow the other coca cola soft drink reductions, where half price is not unusual.

1 for 2.50 is cheap, regular tesco juice is 1.30, the tesco value juice is 1.12. Tesco have a new own brand range called "sun grown", it is not openly labelled as tesco, but is on the fine print, it seems to be the best value now.

Diet club orange twin packs seem to be mispriced in my local tesco, 2x2L for €2.08 with no offer signs. It is on offer as 2x2L for 3.20 for loose single bottles. Regular (non diet) club orange twins are 4.45

Ok not Tesco but Lidl.
    Their choc digestives went from 69c last week to 89c this week.
    Maybe I just won't buy them anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭crayon80

rubadub wrote: »
    The fruice 1L tropical and the apple & berry are both only 1.29....... Tropical juices are usually more expensive or the same price as standard orange.

Watch out for that tropical and apple berry though. They're only 25% fruit juice, the rest is water, sugar, sweetener and other additives. But the regular orange and apple juices are 100% juice albeit from concentrate.

crayon80 wrote: »
    Watch out for that tropical and apple berry though.
    If they are watered down like this they must legally have "drink" on the carton. I see it on the little pic now, they call it "juice drink". This is common enough for some juices, like cranberry or blackcurrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CJL

This is not a rip off story, it does however involve Tesco and their alarming attitude to its customers.

I was shopping in my local Tesco yesterday afternoon where I picked up three small items.I was carrying a large clothes airer (clothes drying stand) which I had just purchased from another shop a few doors away which was rather bulky and awkward to carry. Before I went to the checkout I realised that I had forgotten to bring along a shopping bag , so I took a small clear bag from the fruit and veg section which I intended to use, after paying for my purchases.

When I got to the checkout, the cashier asked me if I required a bag , to which I replied "no thank you". She then asked me if the small clear bag was my own to which I honestly replied "no". She then informed me that customers were no longer allowed to use the fruit and veg bags for placing items into unless they were fruit and veg items. I asked her if she was joking and she told me that she was not.

It is pointless arguing with a cashier when she is merely spreading the joyful commandments of shopping in a Tesco store. I told her that this new policy was unbelievable and shook my head like a scolded child.
    Is it any wonder that Tesco have lost so many customers in recent times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

This has absolutely nothing to do with Tesco and their attitude to customers, it's simply the law of the land regarding the plastic bag levy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CJL

There is currently no levy on plastic fruit and veg bags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

CJL wrote: »

I'm afraid your wrong there.

Have a read of the legislation http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0605.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

Why anyone gives their custom to the likes of Tesco is beyond me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Plastic fruit and veg bags used for unwrapped fruit and veg and unwrapped bakery products and the like, do not attract a bag tax.

Plastic fruit and veg bags used for wrapped products attract the bag tax as per instruction of the revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

...when, and only when, used for fruit and veg. Case of a little knowledge being dangerous here I think. Tesco were enforcing the law you were attempting to ignore.

I didn't say there was a levy on them I said they were enforcing the law around it.

The above posts have pointed this out in detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 diannesaloe

prices still going up 2 years later

Did you really expect them to go any other way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

I think stuff has never been as cheap if you shop smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Why would it be ok to take a fruit and veg bag anyway? Even if they're not subject to tax they cost supermarkets money to produce. It boggles my mind that somebody would go to a store without a plastic bag and then complain about having to pay 22cent for one.. :rolleyes:

Why would it be ok to take a fruit and veg bag anyway? Even if they're not subject to tax they cost supermarkets money to produce. It boggles my mind that somebody would go to a store without a plastic bag and then complain about having to pay 22cent for one.. :rolleyes:
    Because plastic bags were given out free!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

What? They would still be free if a Government levy hadn't been introduced..

Fruit/Veg bags are for fruit and veg, not to take as you please.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭fisher8181

you have only had 12 years to adjust to that change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

Tesco 1ltr Skimmed milk is gone up from 75c to 85c in Clarehall, but not in Artane Castle branch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

fisher8181 wrote: »
    you have only had 12 years to adjust to that change

Big brown paper bags (inducing flashbacks to shopping with my Mum at H. Williams), now being made available at Tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭fussyonion

8 Clonakilty sausages have gone from €1.60 to €3.15 and no, they weren't just on special offer before the increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Fiolina wrote: »
    Tesco 1ltr Skimmed milk is gone up from 75c to 85c in Clarehall, but not in Artane Castle branch.

And ClareHall seems to have ended 24/7 opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

You know those 2L juices in the plastic milk bottles? The watered down ones? €2.98 now!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

And ClareHall seems to have ended 24/7 opening.

I think they have stopped all the 24hr opening hours now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

K.Flyer wrote: »
    I think they have stopped all the 24hr opening hours now.

Tesco in Newry appears to be 24 hours.... not much of a consolation to most of us but in an emergency its drive-able

• Advertisement

Sam Mac wrote: »
    You know those 2L juices in the plastic milk bottles? The watered down ones? €2.98 now!!!

Are these chilled? my tesco charge a lot more for the stuff in fridges. Tesco have lots of 100% juice in 1.5L cartons going cheaply.

Advertisement