Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco outrageous price hikes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

rubadub wrote: »
    The sale signs nearly always have the barcode of the item listed on them. You can cross reference them, I just look at the last 4 figures, its unlikely they will be the same.

That's a good tip, must keep an eye out. Still you'd want to be watching at the checkout as the prices attached to the barcodes aren't always updated from what we see.

What annoys me about the practice though, is that it appears to be Tesco company culture to try and trick customers. Of course, mistakes will be made at times but with Tesco, it just seems endemic and that's basically dishonest in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Got a jar of kenco couple of weeks ago, it was €8.59. Went to get one today, it was €9.39
    Feck off Tesco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Brazil has had a drought so their coffee crop is in danger, as a result, coffee prices have hit a 2 year high, and coffee commodities have shot up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tesco Value soup in a mug 4pk was ~60c now ~€1.
    Sungrown oj 1.5l was €1.40, now €1.50

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

snubbleste wrote: »
    Sungrown oj 1.5l was €1.40, now €1.50
    I think most if not all of the sungrown range has gone up pineapple & apple have. They are relatively new and are still quite cheap relative to the others in tesco.

Tesco value rum, gin & vodka have gone up. I would seriously take the rum over regular bacardi. Their vodka is more like a purified rum, its not from grain. They are all still remarkably cheap, costing a little more than the duty on the bottle alone. Its one of the few alcoholic drinks that is probably sold below cost -contrary to what the lying vitners would have you believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭65535

Tesco do have a lot of choice in comparison to Aldi, but if I don't actually go in for something specific then I find I am looking at the price per kilo to find out the cheapest one

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭crayon80

Got a jar of kenco couple of weeks ago, it was €8.59. Went to get one today, it was €9.39
    Feck off Tesco

It's forever turning up on special though, refills for the smooth and rich versions are €2.67/100g

On the price hike topic, cereals are sneaking up faster than inflation. €9 for a big box of weetabix :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I find it strange that weetabix is getting so dear seeing as all the cheap alternatives are as good (aldi tastes same, dunnes bit rougher)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Aldi aren't innocent either. Their lovely 4 bird roast last week was 9.99. Now its suddenly gone up to 12.99 in the run up to xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Weetabix will be back on offer in a week or two at the equivalent of about €6 for the 72 pack, its the inevitable cycle. Same happens to Miwadi, Finish dishwasher tablets, Lyons Tea, any form of Persil...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭barneyrubble46

I always check the price before it go's into my basket then I check my till receipt the amount of times i have been over charged is a discrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

MYOB wrote: »
    Weetabix will be back on offer in a week or two at the equivalent of about €6 for the 72 pack,
    the 48 pack is currently on offer. Its very common for the large packs to be more expensive -I remember 1 poster thinking it was illegal!

Sort byUpdate List
    Weetabix 24 Pack

Rest of Traditional Cereals shelf Cheaper alternatives to Weetabix 24 Pack!
    €3.49 (€0.15/each)
    Add to basket

Quantity
    Add to basket
    Weetabix 48Pk
    Special OfferSAVE 1.48 Was 5.98 Now 4.50
    valid from 30/9/2014 until 21/10/2014

Rest of Traditional Cereals shelf
    €4.50 (€0.09/each)
    Add to basket

Quantity
    Add to basket
    Weetabix 72Pk

Rest of Traditional Cereals shelf Cheaper alternatives to Weetabix 72Pk!
    €8.99 (€0.13/each)
    Add to basket

Quantity
    Add to basket
    Weetabix Cereal 12 Pack

Rest of Traditional Cereals shelf
    €2.39 (€0.20/each

It's often the 24s for 2 euro either - rarely not on some offer

Not a price hike but
    T Effervescent Vitamin C Plus Zinc are €2.49 and according to their price promise promotion the Aldi equivalent is €1.19
    T Basmati Rice 1kg is €2.26 and the Aldi equivalent is €1.49

Tesco Value soup in a mug 4pk was ~60c now ~€1.
    Turns out this was a mistake price - now it is 59c..maybe someone complained :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Turns out this was a mistake price - now it is 59c..maybe someone complained :cool:

We should put this in the bargain alerts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

I really don't get what Tesco have been up to. On a particular product I like what they have, every 2 months or so for the last 2 or maybe 3 years they keep alternating the price and offers. It starts at normal price of 4 euro, then buy 2 for 7 quid then buy 3 for 2 at normal 4 euro price. and then back to the normal price of 4 euro per item and then the sequence continues. It keeps going around in circles like that, no other supermarket does that.

Outdated marketing "expertise" on how to con customers in to believing things are hugely discounted when they're not. The internet and ability to find out old pricing etc as a result is destroying that kind of dated thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

MYOB wrote: »
    Outdated marketing "expertise" on how to con customers in to believing things are hugely discounted when they're not. The internet and ability to find out old pricing etc as a result is destroying that kind of dated thinking.
    How do you find it?

T value carrots 300g was 36c now 37c
    T value bleach 2l was 65c now 67c

a few cents here and there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

T value carrots 300g was 36c now 37c
    T value bleach 2l was 65c now 67c

a few cents here and there

Quite the rip off, no carrots with bleach jus in the snubbleste house this week kids.

Quite the rip off, no carrots with bleach jus in the snubbleste house this week kids.
    Indeed, a price increase of 2.8% & 3.1% respectively

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I worked in dunnes for years, you'd hike the price up by say 10cent and a a couple of weeks later put a promo on it , say 20c off , that would finish and they'd hike it up another 10 cent on top of its original price , so item would have gone up 20 cent . A few weeks later they'd say their cutting their prices , they'd take 20 cent off the item , back to where they started. .... That's just 1 item . On so on and on and on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

snubbleste wrote:
    T value carrots 300g was 36c now 37c T value bleach 2l was 65c now 67c

is this what constitutes as an outrageuos price hike? 37c for a bag of carrots is incredibly cheap!?! Tescos and all stores are in the money making business, They work on very fine margins as do the suppliers, simple things like a slight increase in fuel cost have a knock on affect to the end user costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

Indeed, a price increase of 2.8% & 3.1% respectively

representing it as a percentage increase does not change the ridiculousness of you calling a one cent increase on a bag of carrots as a rip off!

You really need to get a life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

this thread really has lost it's way.
    what began as "Outrageous Price Hikes" has become "any small price increase that I can use to bash Tesco".

what began as "Outrageous Price Hikes" has become "any small price increase that I can use to bash Tesco".
    Mea culpa.
    However it is useful to see prices increasing as every little bit adds to a higher groceries bill for the household. I'll muse on creating a new thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

yeah calling increase on carrots from 36c to 37c is truly outrageous :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

One of the reasons I switched to Aldi was that I know what I'm spending before I even go in the door. I keep the till receipts, and when I write out the list add up as I go along. Ok, there might be one or two impulse buys, but never more than €5 out. With Tesco it was all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I had been doing my shopping in dunnes and aldi/lidl for a while and was in tesco yesterday.
    I used to always get the tesco version of lucozade sport isotonic 4 pack for €1.79. It was gone up to €2.39 yesterday. That's a fair increase like. I'll be sticking to lidl and aldi in future like someone said you know how much you have to spend before you go in the door.

Advertisement