Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco outrageous price hikes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

was in telcos today looking at homeward and toys and stuff... the amount of yellow pricing stickers attempting to declare a good offer or 'special' purchase .. some of them were 50c off an item 20euros or more... one was even saying special offer with a ten cent reduction, the item was 15 euros.. It looks sh*T.. The prices really have changed massively.. always always look to the price per weight as opposed to the pretend price it used to be anyway on food stuffs... I managed to get three toys cheaper elsewhere than their 'offers'... decided today to not shop there and went to aldi/dunnes and some smaller outlets instead of tescos. think ill stay doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

firstly, £53 is approx €67.50, if you used the Visa/MC card rate which is more realistic it'd be closer to €69.

secondly, if the wine is on offer here it's likely on offer in the UK too to start with, and may also include an additional multibuy discount, spend & save voucher or discount code.
    your €10 bottle of wine may have also been eligible for such extra discounts.

thirdly VAT in Ireland is 3% higher, and excise on a bottle of wine is approx 70c (54p) higher.

Even if I took into account all your pricing . it is still 50 euro dearer than the pricing in Ireland.

So it is still with the vat the exchange Rate the excise 50 euro dearer for the same product from the same company.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

for the same product from the same company.

In a different market.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

snubbleste wrote: »
    The original post refers to the Tesco price promise. I got the information directly from the receipt (removed).
    In addition you'll see some other interesting differences.
    Ah, sorry, totally missed that.

So if you bought the value basmati you'd have gotten nothing, so I am wondering if you are therefore better off buying the tesco finest basmati as I still presume there is only 1 aldi type so you get refunded the larger price difference.

https://www.tescopricepromise.ie/TermsConditions
    Definitions

Comparable Grocery Product:
    An identical branded grocery product, a similar own-label grocery product or a similar less well known branded grocery product. What we mean by less well known branded grocery products are those brands which are less widely available and known to customers and which are often only stocked by one supermarket. For example, Rafferty Madeira Cake stocked in Tesco. Where the phrase “Comparable Groceries” is used, this refers to a number (of not less than one) of Comparable Grocery Products.

For similar own-label or less well known branded grocery products to be included in the Price Promise they must meet the same needs or be intended for the same purposes. For example, we don’t compare kitchen roll with toilet paper because the products are used for different purposes.

We identify the key characteristics of products including flavour, the characterising ingredient(s), whether it is organic, Fairtrade, low fat, or eco-friendly. We ensure that comparisons are only made where there is no artificial advantage to any retailer.
    This list is a summary of what we look at when comparing similar own-label or less well known branded grocery products. We have more detailed rules and guidance which we follow. Please contact our Customer Service Department at customer.services@tesco.ie if you would like to know more.

We compare different sized products (including different sized identical branded grocery products) where that difference in size is not so big that it creates an unfair price advantage for any retailer. In these circumstances we will use Aldi or Lidl’s Comparable Grocery Product which is closest in size to our product. Where we compare different sized products, we will compare identical weights or volumes of each product and adjust the prices quoted for ourAldi or Lidl’s product to reflect the lower or higher weight/volume. See FAQs for further details.
    If the tesco finest rice was organic they might not allow it. But they do not specifically call out the issue of the 3 "quality bands".

Yesterday was the first time I ever got a price promise refund, as I think I rarely actually buy 10 different items in tesco at one time, its the first time I read read the terms and saw that you needed to do this.

I'm going to have to keep an eye out for finest range stuff in future, I find most is overpriced, I do buy several "fintest" items which I do find to be good value. It'd be great if you could get your hands on their lists. Or if aldi & lidl had extensive lists online of all their stock like tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Even if I took into account all your pricing . it is still 50 euro dearer than the pricing in Ireland.

So it is still with the vat the exchange Rate the excise 50 euro dearer for the same product from the same company.

I looked into this a bit more and it turns out that the pre-offer prices for this is £8.99 & €11.99.

They have it half price in the UK because their main competitors have it available at a similar price.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/campo-viejo-rioja-tempranillo-buy-6-bottles-for-equivalent-4-50-a-bottle-sainsburys-2069645

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/campo-viejo-tempranillo-rioja-2012-25-for-6-asda-2075623

I expect the didn't give as deep a discount over here because with the multitude of vouchers going around, including accepting competitor's ones, if they made it a straight half price over here the price after vouchers could leave them making a significant loss on the wine.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tesco have a new "staying down" promotion.
    you've told us you don't like prices constantly changing..
    our ‘staying down prices' will remain down on hundreds of products across the store; the products that you buy the most
    Yay. :cool:
    staying-down-chris-header-3.jpg
    Small print sez: it's a staying down price for at least three months from 01/12/14.

prepare for a glut of sneaky price increases in March then.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

So.... The idea presented is giving us what we want (for periods of stability) whilst they provide another sort of stability for their soon to be ex workers I read of this morning is it? (Unemployment is not the sort of stability they had in mind I think)
    Well, I will not shop there. Price held at the cost of their jobs, they make millions profits and are not generous in salaries either. No, I do not want to support that. I am a realist but there are limits to levels if support and I am lucky my necessities can be got locally ( 30 mile radius), that includes vegetarian and gf range I am appreciating locally now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

The price of a lot of their wine has suddenly shot up. Luckily, had a 10 euro Aldi voucher which was accepted, so took the edge off the pain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Well, I will not shop there. Price held at the cost of their jobs, they make millions profits and are not generous in salaries either. No, I do not want to support that. I am a realist but there are limits to levels if support and I am lucky my necessities can be got locally ( 30 mile radius), that includes vegetarian and gf range I am appreciating locally now too.

If you compare them with lets say Dunnes for example, then they are generous. If you're going to make such a moral stand Dunnes should be first in line for you to boycott. Tesco have better terms and conditions and they have an employee share scheme, employees themselves are being hit hard with the fall in share prices.

But of course you don't know any of this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

So.... The idea presented is giving us what we want (for periods of stability) whilst they provide another sort of stability for their soon to be ex workers I read of this morning is it? (Unemployment is not the sort of stability they had in mind I think)
    Well, I will not shop there. Price held at the cost of their jobs, they make millions profits and are not generous in salaries either.

No job cuts in Ireland except a few voluntary night shift workers with the others offerred new day shifts.

So previous night shift now have stable daytime shifts (that's a plus)

As for millions in profit - as a percentage of their sales, its quite low and much lower than Aldi / Lidl. Also, unlike Aldi/Lidl, Tesco is a public company and most shares are held by pension funds and as such, most of the profit goes into the pensions of tens of thousands of people (even my pension has a small amunt in the ftse 100 index, of which Tesco is part of and therefore, I get some of Tesco's profits - proabably 50p, but every little helps!! :) )

if people were working through the night packing shelves, chances are they were doing so at a premium rate, and would be taking a significant pay cut

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

if people were working through the night packing shelves, chances are they were doing so at a premium rate, and would be taking a significant pay cut

anyone who came from night crew to day crew were also offered 2 years worth of lost earnings in a lump sump.

people are so quick to boycott tesco's when their favourite packet of cereal goes up by 10c, but tesco as a company offer so much more to Ireland and it's people than the German retailers (for example). People should really consider the scale of this company and the scale of what it does before going to the discounters for the sake of a few cents, by doing so you are actually promoting people working for less and helping more money to leave Ireland.

The people in the towns do get to compare things so much more. Yes, you see the bigger picture assuredly.
    If unable to get transport much and cope with 1 and half hours each way (very tiring nowadays) then to be honest that saving (if any) is cancelled out and so we are very grateful that some shops come down here, some are able to remain open (many closed now you know) and the ranges improved a lot now.
    It is some German ones we do support that is true, but, to get thick clothing for Xmas (for instance) good and strong, washable, is a godsend and does keep some warmth in.
    A fields/super value in skibbereen has turned out some really good ranges lately and we are only too glad to get what we really want and, support local businesses. Vegetarians, vegans and gluten free starting to get real support and are are madly happy about that. It is a bit swings and roundabouts.
    When we can get there we do load up and ensure things are safe in vacuum type sealed bags. We are not really thoughtless but we have to get what we can, where we can and when we can actually get to places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

People should really consider the scale of this company and the scale of what it does...by doing so you are actually promoting people working for less and helping more money to leave Ireland.

Destroying the heart out of towns and producing unemployment. What's it, 3 jobs lost for every one created in Tesco.

I thought I read they were making people redundant but someone corrected me.
    I read yours and I feel sure too they are not a good company for Ireland, mind, who is?
    I suppose the normal points of capitalism apply, here for their profit and not for the benefit of our health!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

coolemon wrote: »
    Destroying the heart out of towns and producing unemployment. What's it, 3 jobs lost for every one created in Tesco.

how did you come up with that figure? i seriously doubt that's anything more than nonsense.

coolemon wrote: »

do you always believe statements issued by interested groups that have zero back up?

I'm in retail, & I can assure you that figure is widely inaccurate.

I thought I read they were making people redundant but someone corrected me.
    I read yours and I feel sure too they are not a good company for Ireland, mind, who is?
    I suppose the normal points of capitalism apply, here for their profit and not for the benefit of our health!
    They did buy over €700m worth of Irish produced goods last year - over 60% of which was exported to UK.

I'd say there are quite a few Irish food producers who love tesco - Keoghs Crisps are one example, they have doubled their turnover after getting listed in 255 tesco stores in UK.

Always look at the wider picture!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tesco Crisps 6 pack are 99c and 99p in UK
    The reason? because Aldi&Lidl have a similar product at 99c.
    Same goes for all the other prices Tesco have lowered recently. I assume they get this data from their price promise promotion.

• Advertisement

Hardys Stamp Cabernet Shiraz 2.25L box, was €16 and went up to €25 overnight. :(

Hardys Stamp Cabernet Shiraz 2.25L box, was €16 and went up to €25 overnight. :(

Jeyes fluid will clean the toilet too - much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Just noticed today in tesco, a deal often would have bought, Tropicana 1litre range used be two for €4.50 or a fiver.
    Now they've sneakily reduced the size to 850ml but you've guessed it, still two for a fiver!! Prefer if they'd just been honest and increased the price of the 1litre. Yet another reason to stay at Aldi.

road_high wrote: »
    Just noticed today in tesco, a deal often would have bought, Tropicana 1litre range used be two for €4.50 or a fiver.
    Now they've sneakily reduced the size to 850ml but you've guessed it, still two for a fiver!! Prefer if they'd just been honest and increased the price of the 1litre. Yet another reason to stay at Aldi.

Tesco don't make tropicana Juice - they just sell it. They have no control over the size of carton.

Offers change all the time too.

delahuntv wrote: »
    Tesco don't make tropicana Juice - they just sell it. They have no control over the size of carton.

Offers change all the time too.

Indeed, as they don't make anything else in their stores (all own branded stuff is contract made too) so I don't see your point? They have an input on the price and are now charging the same for less product.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

Indeed, as they don't make anything else in their stores (all own branded stuff is contract made too) so I don't see your point? They have an input on the price and are now charging the same for less product.

From a manufacturer point of view they reduce pack size instead of upping cost price to purchaser, tesco would have no control over it. They are paying the same cost price as they were for the 1litre

swampy353 wrote: »
    From a manufacturer point of view they reduce pack size instead of upping cost price to purchaser, tesco would have no control over it. They are paying the same cost price as they were for the 1litre

How do you know this? We don't know if Tesco are paying the same to the manufacturer for less. All i know is I'm paying more for less. No wonder Aldi/Lidl are wiping the floor with Tesco and will continue to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

swampy353 wrote: »

Much smaller retailers than Tesco - Poundland/Dealz - can specify pack sizes for their sale. I'd doubt that Tesco couldn't if they so wished.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Prefer if they'd just been honest and increased the price of the 1litre. Yet another reason to stay at Aldi.
    Are aldi still selling 1L tropicana at the same price?

You can only compare like with like. I picked up loads of tropicana in tesco recently, 1L cartons for either 1.25 or 1.50 a pop. I am loyal to very few brands, and aldis might even be nicer, a big reason for the price difference is due to advertising costs. I was not impressed with my tropicanas even at that price.

Tesco online is showing lots of tropicana 2 for 4.50 and 1L and 850ml sizes. This offer only started today on some, but I did see 2 for €5 offers just the other day when I first read your post.

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=tropicana
    L1011 wrote: »
    Much smaller retailers than Tesco - Poundland/Dealz - can specify pack sizes for their sale. I'd doubt that Tesco couldn't if they so wished.
    Dealz are odd in that they have their £1/€1.49 price tag on most items, so they get manufacturers to change sizes to fit their price model.

Top up with Tropicana 850ml range
    Tropicana is introducing a new 850ml pack to appeal to impulse shoppers.

10 May 2013

Tropicana is introducing a new 850ml pack format to the impulse channel with a convenient take home range. With chilled juice bought by more than 19 million households* in the UK every year, 50% of homes are left out of stock per week**, the format is set to provide a top-up opportunity. As a firm favourite, Tropicana aims to drive incremental sales for retailers and add value to the category with this new size.

Sioned Winfield Marketing Manager Tropicana said: "We have created an opportunity to drive 'top up' sales in convenience stores with our 850ml Tropicana range. Launched specifically for the impulse shopper, the range, including Smooth and Original, is set to be popular with customers making small shopping trips or those who are topping up from their main trip. By offering two packs for £3 RRP we hope that sales will be incremental, especially with households who like to purchase 2 different flavours."

• Advertisement

A visit to specsavers is possibly required.

tropicana orange both smooth and with bits are both still 1litre and both still 2.99 or 2 for 4.50.

New mixes of combined juices are 850ml and also in the 2 for 4.50 offer.

Why do posters not read signage properly before misinforming people?

Advertisement