Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco outrageous price hikes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

delahuntv wrote: »
    A visit to specsavers is possibly required.

tropicana orange both smooth and with bits are both still 1litre and both still 2.99 or 2 for 4.50.

New mixes of combined juices are 850ml and also in the 2 for 4.50 offer.

Why do posters not read signage properly before misinforming people?

Oh please spare me the lecture and original Specsaver quip from about 100 years ago.... Clearly just picked up the 850ml here and assumed they'd cut the size as they were charging the same, I don't live right beside the Tesco chilled section so hadn't the chance to check in such detail as yourself.
    I'm glad this is the case as clearly not a rip-off and I can go back to the 1L next time. Kudos to Tesco :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

road_high wrote: »
    Oh please spare me the lecture and original Specsaver quip from about 100 years ago.... Clearly just picked up the 850ml here and assumed they'd cut the size as they were charging the same, I don't live right beside the Tesco chilled section so hadn't the chance to check in such detail as yourself.
    I'm glad this is the case as clearly not a rip-off and I can go back to the 1L next time. Kudos to Tesco :P

www.tesco.ie - all info is online at a click.

Never assume - makes the post look ridiculous when the correct information is found out.

No kudos to Tesco they have changed nothing - Tropicana is a brand owned by Pepisco and they decide the sizes of cartons on the market, not Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sheepboy288

EVERYONE, STOP Shopping at Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

EVERYONE, STOP Shopping at Tesco.

Why ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Why ?
    Don't feed the tesco trolls, he's even in a thread about takeaway pizza moaning about tesco!

Its worse than that Godwins Law thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 sheepboy288

rubadub wrote: »
    Don't feed the tesco trolls, he's even in a thread about takeaway pizza moaning about tesco!

Its worse than that Godwins Law thing.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

didn't see this myself , but was told that a Mothers Day card was €7 in Tesco this evening .

didn't see this myself , but was told that a Mothers Day card was €7 in Tesco this evening .
    Tesco have a very wide range of card styles & prices so this would not surprise me at all.

If the €7 card looked like this it would be "outrageous", but I really doubt it was a simple card that would be €2 or so elsewhere.

9621176768948a8fe4d902493377fc8b3b08d7d2b37ca32f6ff8c8568608ec5f1756bdd8.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Yeah tesco where selling mothers days cards for seven euro. Went it to the one in drumcondra. Bought a few things and the card which was just a small bit bigger than a normal sized card. There was no price on the cards. Went and payed on the self service checkout and the card came up seven euros. Called someone over and cancelled the card. Went up the road and bought the same sized card in a centra(which are not that cheap for cards) for 3.49. Tesco i find are complete ripoff. The tesco express's are the worst. They never stock their own brand stuff. Also the smaller tesco's have very little of their own brand. Would never shop in them in general. Aldi and LIdl have the same stuff and same quality at at least 30% less. This price reduction they keep going on about is nonsense. Delighted they are struggling as they have been taking the micheal out of customers in general for way to long.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Yeah tesco where selling mothers days cards for seven euro. Went it to the one in drumcondra. Bought a few things and the card which was just a small bit bigger than a normal sized card. There was no price on the cards. Went and payed on the self service checkout and the card came up seven euros. Called someone over and cancelled the card. Went up the road and bought the same sized card in a centra(which are not that cheap for cards) for 3.49. Tesco i find are complete ripoff. The tesco express's are the worst. They never stock their own brand stuff. Also the smaller tesco's have very little of their own brand. Would never shop in them in general. Aldi and LIdl have the same stuff and same quality at at least 30% less. This price reduction they keep going on about is nonsense. Delighted they are struggling as they have been taking the micheal out of customers in general for way to long.

Sure, there's a card shop right next door to Tesco express in Drumcondra.

• Advertisement

It was closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

€7 for a card? Bloody hell...surely Tesco would have a whole range of ones for all different prices.

road_high wrote: »
    €7 for a card? Bloody hell...surely Tesco would have a whole range of ones for all different prices.
    Mine certainly does, but sure why ruin a good story with the truth & sense?

My tesco has them priced like most card shops do. There is a code on the back and you cross reference it with a list of prices. Like code 40 is €2 and code 50 is €2.50. Like in any card shops there are surprising differences between cards which may appear similar enough.

Tesco is not particularly cheap for cards, they are about the same as the newsagent next to mine.

Cheapest cards can be got in €2 type shops these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Mine certainly does, but sure why ruin a good story with the truth & sense?

My tesco has them priced like most card shops do. There is a code on the back and you cross reference it with a list of prices. Like code 40 is €2 and code 50 is €2.50. Like in any card shops there are surprising differences between cards which may appear similar enough.

Tesco is not particularly cheap for cards, they are about the same as the newsagent next to mine.

Cheapest cards can be got in €2 type shops these days.

Tesco Clarehall has a wide range of cards, ranging from the very cheap (but cute enough) at 50 cents to the very expensive (and sometimes not even beautiful). I get the cheap ones for when the kids are invited to birthday parties, and even the biggest cards are only 1.20€ in that range. Then the Camden ones are usually around 2.50 / 3€ and are truly beautiful.

Some prices in Tesco seem to have gone down a lot lately. They are getting closer to Dunnes' prices these days, may be they have coped on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Funky Pigeon's cards are cheap and can be personalised.
    I didn't realise cards from Tesco would be that expensive, unless they're huge cards with great designs.

No it was a small bit bigger than a normal sized card. Nothing fancy at all. Tesco i think are a complete rip off in general anyone shopping there are getting fleeced. They say they are reducing prices but i reckon thats a myth. The thing with tesco's is that they imo stock as little as possible of their own brand. Take for example sparkling water. Its 50-60p own brand but they rarely have it. You will find their own brand stuff sold out and not replaced. Thats a policy. I hope they continue to lose business as they have robbed customers here fro to long. There is a new one in dorest street that is a complete and utter rip off. The cost cutter up the road is cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Just went down to my local Tesco as I do every weekend. Today was the first time I walked out . I buy Heineken 8pk can every weekend. Last week it was €13 , Today €17.29 . These guys are away with the fairy's with there pricing. Got Heineken 8pk in the local Mace for €13 . (a small convenience store). Very disappointed in Tesco today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

castle2012 wrote: »
    Just went down to my local Tesco as I do every weekend. Today was the first time I walked out . I buy Heineken 8pk can every weekend. Last week it was €13 , Today €17.29 . These guys are away with the fairy's with there pricing. Got Heineken 8pk in the local Mace for €13 . (a small convenience store). Very disappointed in Tesco today

it'll allow them to sell it at ~25% off at some point and look like gods amongst us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Stick the price up and put it on promotion.
    Buy 2 for €26

I buy Heineken 8pk can every weekend. Last week it was €13 , Today €17.29 . These guys are away with the fairy's with there pricing. Got Heineken 8pk in the local Mace for €13 . (a small convenience store). Very disappointed in Tesco today
    2x4 packs would have been €14 and they are not on offer, which some might consider better value than heading to another shop to "save" 1 euro, might cost more in fuel and if you value your free time.

12 cans is €17 at the moment. 8 individual cans at 2.15 would have been a few cent cheaper too.

The pricing is all over the place, and has been for quite some time, happens in other supermarkets too. I don't mind as I know the overpaying customers are subsidizing the ones who bother to look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It was a weekend of rugby...what did you expect when there is a high probability that alcohol will be drunk in large quantities

It was a weekend of rugby...what did you expect
    But there actually were deals on, all the deals mentioned started on 18-03 and run till 24-03

He could have spent €17 and got 12 cans, €1.42 each.

Or else pay for the highest costing can, which was 17.29 for 8, or 2.16 each.

His mace ones were 1.62, which is what tesco were last week. So could have got them cheaper this week, though having to buy 4 more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the pizzas that they make up for you used to be €7 per kg (and sometimes half price), now they're just a fixed price of €3 for a 9" and €4 for a 12" and a quid extra for one with toppings with a limited set of options.

it's a very sneaky way of increasing the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

But there actually were deals on, all the deals mentioned started on 18-03 and run till 24-03

He could have spent €17 and got 12 cans, €1.42 each.

Or else pay for the highest costing can, which was 17.29 for 8, or 2.16 each.

His mace ones were 1.62, which is what tesco were last week. So could have got them cheaper this week, though having to buy 4 more.

Yes but i did nt want a bigger pack . does nt justify Tesco jacking up the price by €4.29 just because the rugby is on .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Yes but i did nt want a bigger pack . does nt justify Tesco jacking up the price by €4.29 just because the rugby is on .

You could have kept the other four for the World Cup.

Yes but i did nt want a bigger pack . does nt justify Tesco jacking up the price by €4.29
    I also said you could have got 8 cans for €14, 2x4 packs, so a €1 increase from the week before.

I still have some heineken cans from the last time it was €25 for 24, thats the max I would pay for it. I did not want them all at the time, pays to stock up though.

It is very common to see single 2L of fizzy drinks cheaper than twin packs, or twin packs cheaper than 4 packs per unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

I've been following their recent price promise on this Herbal Essence shampoo http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=264368500

They have had this shampoo product at half price around 3 euro something since maybe Xmas, I got a leaflet through the door that this is permanent.
    Yet I visited the local large Tesco and the item along with its conditioner counterpart has been doubled in price back to 6 euro something. Now, this has happened since their new "cop on" campaign to draw back customers, very disappointed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

moxin wrote: »
    I've been following their recent price promise on this Herbal Essence shampoo http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=264368500

They have had this shampoo product at half price around 3 euro something since maybe Xmas, I got a leaflet through the door that this is permanent.
    Yet I visited the local large Tesco and the item along with its conditioner counterpart has been doubled in price back to 6 euro something. Now, this has happened since their new "cop on" campaign to draw back customers, very disappointed.

And yet you keep going back to Tesco!

Fool me once shame on Tesco
    Tesco fools me twice shame on me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I've been following their recent price promise on this Herbal Essence shampoo http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=264368500...
    It's permanent for three months http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93757344&postcount=817
    Oh, and that product is 'reduced' to half price again from 30/03

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

This same Herbal Essences product was 4.25 EUR full price a few years ago.

Advertisement