Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco outrageous price hikes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Hopefully, chickens will be next... I hate the idea of battery hens. And eggs are still a pretty cheap source of proteines, even with the increase

However, I would love to understand why free range eggs also increased. Surely, if the hens were already free range, that new law will mean no change for these? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I've noticed in my local Tesco, the lights are much dimmer in the mornings and at other quiet times. I can understand why prices are shooting up.
    I'm spolit for choice though, there is an Aldi, Lidl, Dunnes and Tesco within 600m of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Buddly

Ptotty wrote: »
    Leaving Pringles out in the cold will be no great loss.
    Proctor and Gamble who make pringles love to test their products on animals still.
    Why do some supermarket chains contine to push the club/loyalty cards.
    What a waste of money.
    while the other supermarkets who dont waste this money on all the advertising fanfare that comes with the cards,
    can use this money to keeping lower prices instead.
    Shop with your feet and wallet.I have no loyalties to any brand or supermarket chain.

Data. They know exactly how people react to different price changes
    through all the data collected on shopping habits by clubcards.

That allows them to make the sneaky price changes documented in this thread with as little remarks passed as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

maddragon wrote: »
    Tescos is not a cheap retailer and these type of hikes are not unique to Tescos. I buy Huggies baby wipes in Dunnes and recently they went from 1.49eur to 3.03eur. I just started buying the Lidl ones which are fine but not as good. The price has gone back down to 1.49eur. It angers me though because although I am very careful when shopping sometimes you just don't have the time and you could easily throw 2 or 3 packs of wipes into the trolley and not realise you paid 9eur for them until you are at the till or worse, when you get home. Dunnes are also masters of putting special offer signs up and when you get to the till you realise it was (for example) the Denny's 130g crumbed ham pack and not the Denny's 130g deli ham pack even though the sign was actually under the item that was not on special offer.

If that happens, query it at the customer service counter. It happened to me, and they had to give me the discount, because they had wrongfully advertised (even if it was a mistake). Pain to have to queue at the service counter though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭nc6000

snubbleste wrote: »
    I've noticed in my local Tesco, the lights are much dimmer in the mornings and at other quiet times. I can understand why prices are shooting up.
    I'm spolit for choice though, there is an Aldi, Lidl, Dunnes and Tesco within 600m of each other.

The lights are dimmer? Why do you think this is, to save on costs or so people can't see the prices properly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

sandin wrote: »
    Staying loyal to a brand is what they want you to do. Brands are just that, Brands. Many own brand or other brands are just as good esp in the non-food area. e.g. Aldi washing up liquid, voted beter than Fairy by Which magazine. Price = 79c

Last year they EXPORTED €700m worth of Irish made goods to their UK & European stores. They also form part of many peopes pensions via market funds.
    On prices, play them at their game, don't be loyal to brands and you can get great value. Try buying 90% special offers. If something goes up in price, switch or buy it elsewhere.
    700M OF BUSINESS FOR IRISH PRODUCERS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Yep prices in Tesco have definitely crept up on certain products. My wife who usually does the shopping noticed it over the past several weeks so we just switched back to Aldi.

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

You all should know that the Clubcard et al are used to monitor customer behaviour and prices are adjusted based on that. If they find that people are moving to Tesco Value Mushy Peas versus Tesco Brand Mushy Peas they may move the price of the latter to cover whats being lost on the former. Its very sophisticated by all accounts.

On the subject of Mushy Peas, the Tesco Value ones used to be 19c back about 2 years ago. Now 27c.

Damn Clubcards. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

cson wrote: »
    You all should know that the Clubcard et al are used to monitor customer behaviour and prices are adjusted based on that. If they find that people are moving to Tesco Value Mushy Peas versus Tesco Brand Mushy Peas they may move the price of the latter to cover whats being lost on the former. Its very sophisticated by all accounts.

On the subject of Mushy Peas, the Tesco Value ones used to be 19c back about 2 years ago. Now 27c.

They actually sell your clubcard info to suppliers and other companies, so using your clubcard then can say tell Brennans who is the typical customer for there sliced pan is and what time of the day the sales are highest etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunnhumby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,058 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

cson wrote: »

They can also see that customers who used to buy a particular product on a regular basis, no longer buy the product because it's priced itself off the shopping-list. This info doesn't seem to make any difference to the price of the stuff that I stopped buying because the price never goes down again, unless it's on special offer.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

nc6000 wrote: »
    The lights are dimmer? Why do you think this is, to save on costs or so people can't see the prices properly?

Lights are dimmer at quieter times as there is less pressure on space in the store and they want shoppers to relax and make purchases they might not otherwise have made. Music at these times is also usually softer and slower.

When it gets busy the lights go up and the music speeds up to hurry people along, as light intensity increases so does work intensity and speed and people's concentration.

I never saw the lights this dim before, it is very noticeable and started in January.

Everyone's favourite TescoValue 80 Teabags have gone from 77c to 85c.
    Tesco Value Toothbrush 2 Pack was 35c-ish now 49c
    Sqeez orange juice 1l was €1.39 now €1.59

Don't overestimate the "tracking power" of the clubcards... I selected "vegetarian" when I got my clubcard and keep getting offers for meat. I also receive coupons for things that I never once bought. It was the same for the Tesco Baby club, I was breastfeeding but kept receiving offers on formula. :rolleyes:

Soon, Tesco will switch off the lights completely, hoping that in the dark we will no longer see the price tags and buy things blindly :D

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Don't overestimate the "tracking power" of the clubcards... I selected "vegetarian" when I got my clubcard and keep getting offers for meat. I also receive coupons for things that I never once bought. It was the same for the Tesco Baby club, I was breastfeeding but kept receiving offers on formula. :rolleyes:

Soon, Tesco will switch off the lights completely, hoping that in the dark we will no longer see the price tags and buy things blindly :D

They're trying to get you to change your ways as part of the big masterplan.

Sure, long term vegetarians will start eating meat because Tesco send them 30cents off a large (battery raised) chicken. How dumb do they really think their customers are?
    I am not a vegetarian, by the way, but if I indicate preferences, sure it would make more sense for the company to encourage me to buy things I am more likely to choose, wouldn't it?

Anyhoooo, went to Tesco the other day and noticed another few increases. I don't care, I only bought special offer stuff and went to Lidl to buy the rest :D

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Sure, long term vegetarians will start eating meat because Tesco send them 30cents off a large (battery raised) chicken. How dumb do they really think their customers are?
    I am not a vegetarian, by the way, but if I indicate preferences, sure it would make more sense for the company to encourage me to buy things I am more likely to choose, wouldn't it?

Anyhoooo, went to Tesco the other day and noticed another few increases. I don't care, I only bought special offer stuff and went to Lidl to buy the rest :D

Tesco is obviously cleverer than people give them credit for, if they knew that you weren't a vegetarian. I don't see the logic in choosing "vegetarian" as a preference when you're not a vegetarian.

Some vegetarians don't stay vegetarian forever, so perhaps they'd like to get their teeth into a 30c off mutant chicken when they fall off the wagon.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Tesco is obviously cleverer than people give them credit for, if they knew that you weren't a vegetarian. I don't see the logic in choosing "vegetarian" as a preference when you're not a vegetarian.

Some vegetarians don't stay vegetarian forever, so perhaps they'd like to get their teeth into a 30c off mutant chicken when they fall off the wagon.

As the name suggests... it's a 'preference'. I like vegetarian food much, and I mostly follow a vegetarian diet for financial reasons. So I want to receive offers on vegetables, fruits, nuts, cereals and so on rather than on meat

• Registered Users Posts: 10,369 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I selected Vegetarian and have never been sent vouchers for anything meat related over the years.
    Maybe you have been buying meat products for other family members so they know there is a market in your household for that kind of stuff?

Was in Clare Hall yesterday and picked up some Merchant Gourmet lentils pouch. The variety was 'lentils with porcini mushrooms and thyme' and the label stated 2.69€. They scanned at 2.85€ so I went to the customer service for a refund of the difference (I know it's only small, but another 2 items had incorrectly scanned). The girl told me that it was a different variety, the one at 2.69 was 'Lentils with porcini mushrooms' and mine was 'lentils with porcini mushrooms AND thyme'. Sure, and my name is Dumbo... There is only 3 varieties of the lentils on the shelves, one plain, one with sundried tomatoes and the one with mushrooms. Needless to say, I asked for a refund and left the product there. And lo and behold, they are 2.85€ this morning on the website. Looks to me that they had raised the price but forgot to change the sticker.

The same happened on some Chef Vinegar, 1.49€ on the shelf, 1.65€ at the till, but this time the girl couldn't find a silly 'explanation'. And yes, it's now 1.65€ online :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

I always wonder why other stores can keep a consistent price for a longer time than Tesco. They are just seriously bad value and even their own brand stuff is expensive and almost as much as branded goods. The only reason I go to Tesco is to buy wine/beer on special, check their clearance stock and buy special offer items with coupons. I cannot imagine shopping there for a weekly family shop. I really pity those without an Aldi or Lidl nearby. I also HATE shopping at Tesco when they are changing their prices and special offers as I always end up with things charged at the wrong price. I bought some Natural confectionery fruit chews in there last night for the cinema as they were on special for €1.20, scanned in at €1.89 (surprise surprise) and when I said it to the girl at the checkout she tried to tell me that the sticker was for Cadbury's TNCC Fruit Chews and not the ones I had bought. After finally spelling it out for her they were owned by Cadburys and to check the barcode she gave them to me at the price on the shelf. I almost feel like I need a suit of armour to head for battle when shopping at Tesco, they are terribly run with woeful customer service!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yuppies

I know this thread is for tesco price hikes but seeing as I mentioned pringles being extortionately priced in tesco earlier on in the thread, I thought I'd mention that they are now €1.49 in superquinn. They actually taste nicer than they used to and the box is up to 190g from 165g. Not an absolute bargain but thought I'd put it out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

yuppies wrote: »
    I know this thread is for tesco price hikes but seeing as I mentioned pringles being extortionately priced in tesco earlier on in the thread, I thought I'd mention that they are now €1.49 in superquinn. They actually taste nicer than they used to and the box is up to 190g from 165g. Not an absolute bargain but thought I'd put it out there!

Wonderful news, thanks

yuppies wrote: »

I hate Pringles but would gladly drive 50 miles to my nearest Superquinn, just to buy a packet for the missus because she likes them.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yuppies

18889129.jpg

I will. But I doubt very much they will even read it

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭blowtorch

And of course the price hikes are only part of it. 'Shrink Ray' is an industry term to describe how product sizes are shrunk in lieu of raising the price. e.g.

- I remember Cadbury's Creme Eggs being larger
    - How big is your bottle of coke in a pub now? 200ml, 230ML, 270ML, 300ML? Well
    they are getting smaller by the year I'd say.

Long list if you think about it.

http://consumerist.com/taking-it-seriously/grocery-shrink-ray/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

blowtorch wrote: »
    - I remember Cadbury's Creme Eggs being larger
    Its that your hand was smaller as a child. They did reduce in size in the US, but not here. I remember people claiming they were as big as real eggs, but I remember as a kid my mother padding out egg cups so they would sit up properly in them.

Yorkies have gotten a lot smaller over the years. Some other bars have reduced a lot, and you have to watch out for certain mulitpacks which are smaller than other mulitpacks, 4 packs are typically smaller than 5 pack bars.

A newer one is reducing % of alcohol, which means less ingredients & duty. Stella went from 5.2 to 5, tuborg from 4.2 to 4, and I just noticed royal dutch from 5% to 4.3%. With beer a 500ml can going to 430ml is far more noticeable.

Coke has always been 200ml in pubs as far back as I remember, it is one item with such a massive markup that they do not really have to reduce quantities even if raw materials did go up. I think sugar prices have gone up which has lead to other things being reduced in size.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if reducing size of confectionaries and percentage of alcohol is such a bad thing. Sure, you get less for your money, but it's better for you.

I think most people notice the price hikes but won't notice the pack size being reduced. I think if the price hikes are inevitable due to higher energy cost and sugar prices, etc... I would rather have a smaller pack than have to pay more

Advertisement