Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco outrageous price hikes

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

JTMan wrote: »
    This same Herbal Essences product was 4.25 EUR full price a few years ago.

And the price of a litre of petrol a few years ago was 95 cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

The point is simple that Tesco have hiked the price in order to make their 'half price deals's seem like a bargain when they are anything but.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The point is simple that Tesco have hiked the price in order to make their 'half price deals's seem like a bargain when they are anything but.
    Sure?
    How much does the same product cost in Dunnes, Supervalu, Boots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Too many people don;t compare the same products - they just look at the brand and say, "oh that was such and such a price" then afterwards they realsie they are comparing eitehr different sizes or totally differ varieties.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Sure?
    How much does the same product cost in Dunnes, Supervalu, Boots?

That would make too much sense :rolleyes: :)

Comparison Herbal Essesences Classic 400ml - standard price, €5.99 in Boots €5.69 dunnes and €4.79 in tesco!

so Tesco are 20% cheapeer than Boots (not difficult) and 16% cheaper than Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Was in the Terenure branch last Saturday morning, they had those cadbury easter cakes as 'special purchase' for €1.49. I went in again on Easter Monday morning and the same cakes were 'reduced to clear' at €1.54

Sneaky feckers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Not a price hike, but a genuinely outrageous price which this thread is lacking, peanut butter m&m's, a standard 46.5g pack, €2.99.

They have a bunch of US imports at very high prices.

What shocked me more than the price is that there were empty boxes of them a few times I have been in, people are snapping them up.

In dealz you get 165g peanut m&ms (not peanut butter) for €1.49
    http://www.dealz.ie/food-and-drink/sweets-and-snacks/chocolate/m-m-peanut-pouch

its €1.50 in tesco for the same bag at the moment as its on offer.

Thats just over 7 times the weight for the same €3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

In Tesco Artane today, their generic Tesco Stock Pots were more expensive than either Oxo's or Knorr's.

They're losing the plot big time, management clearly in disarray.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭clairek6

Do any of ye complain to tesco themselves? No point just saying it here. I got a voucher for letting them know when I fed up of too many incidents in my local store

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

rubadub wrote: »
    Not a price hike, but a genuinely outrageous price which this thread is lacking, peanut butter m&m's, a standard 46.5g pack, €2.99.

They have a bunch of US imports at very high prices.

What shocked me more than the price is that there were empty boxes of them a few times I have been in, people are snapping them up.

In dealz you get 165g peanut m&ms (not peanut butter) for €1.49
    http://www.dealz.ie/food-and-drink/sweets-and-snacks/chocolate/m-m-peanut-pouch

its €1.50 in tesco for the same bag at the moment as its on offer.

Thats just over 7 times the weight for the same €3

Peanut Butter M&Ms are an entirely different animal to Peanut M&Ms, which have been on sale in Ireland for years, and which don't at all taste the same.

I'd bite the hand off anyone for Peanut Butter ones, at any price. I've never seen them for sale here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Their Wringleys metallic blue/green 5 pack which I buy weekly has gone from being €2 for 5 packets in a pack(often 2 for €3) to €2.79 about 2 weeks ago. Its now on special for €2.49. Although every other Wringleys 5 pack is still €2. There is no logic to the price increase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭DI Dwyer

Last week bought a worm tablet for my dog in the local Vet Shop... 8euro

Today was in a Agri Supply shop and a guy bought 2 worm tablets ... 4euro for 2!!! :confused:....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

DI Dwyer wrote: »
    Last week bought a worm tablet for my dog in the local Vet Shop... 8euro

Today was in a Agri Supply shop and a guy bought 2 worm tablets ... 4euro for 2!!! :confused:....

Tesco get blamed for lots of things but that's really stretching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭DI Dwyer

?

DivingDuck wrote: »
    Peanut Butter M&Ms are an entirely different animal to Peanut M&Ms
    Yeah, like tayto crisps vs creme eggs :rolleyes: totally different...

Or tesco value cooking chocolate Vs lindt...

I prefer the whole nut ones, but would you seriously pay €3 a pack? I would prefer top quality chocolates, many which would be cheaper per kilo.

The peanut ones probably cost more to produce, as peanut butter is a cheaper ingredient.

No need to bite peoples hands off, you could have been buying them online if you really wanted them for many years, for a good bit cheaper than €3 a pack.

I am glad to see people like yourself paying over the odds in tesco, it enables them to have genuinely good offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

rubadub wrote: »
    Yeah, like tayto crisps vs creme eggs :rolleyes: totally different...

Or tesco value cooking chocolate Vs lindt...

I prefer the whole nut ones, but would you seriously pay €3 a pack? I would prefer top quality chocolates, many which would be cheaper per kilo.

The peanut ones probably cost more to produce, as peanut butter is a cheaper ingredient.

No need to bite peoples hands off, you could have been buying them online if you really wanted them for many years, for a good bit cheaper than €3 a pack.

I am glad to see people like yourself paying over the odds in tesco, it enables them to have genuinely good offers.

As I said, I've never seen them for sale at any Tesco I've been in, so I haven't been buying them.

DI Dwyer wrote: »
    ?

Tesco hardly tell the vets or the agri supply store what to charge.

DivingDuck wrote: »
    As I said, I've never seen them for sale at any Tesco I've been in, so I haven't been buying them.
    I know, that's why I asked "would you seriously pay €3 a pack? " would you?

If not how much would you pay? as I presume there must be a limit, even though you says you would pay "any price". And if you would pay €3 what is the max you would pay.

People voting with their feet. SuperValu steals supermarket top slot from Tesco
    Supermarket share
    SuperValu 24.9%
    Tesco 24.7%
    Dunnes 22.7%
    Aldi 8.7%
    Lidl 8.2%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

People voting with their feet. SuperValu steals supermarket top slot from Tesco
    Supermarket share
    SuperValu 24.9%
    Tesco 24.7%
    Dunnes 22.7%
    Aldi 8.7%
    Lidl 8.2%

ah statistics statistics

If Tesco charged Supervalu prices, they'd have about 26% share.

These "share" figures are based on value. As Tesco have reduced quite a few prices especially of popular goods, the spend is lower.

Tesco have also withdrawn a lot of secondary premium brands that are more expensive and this wuld also mean a drop in turnover.

The statistics will also tell you that Tesco have the same number of shoppers in their stores compared to a year ago, so they are keeping the number of shoppers, but getting less money from them.

Though well done to Supervalu - I didn't think dropping the superquinn name was going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,997 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone see the price of eggs in Tesco lately?
    6.05 euro for a pack of 20 in the new Tesco in Dundalk???
    3 euro in the butchers.
    Feckin rip-off.

• Advertisement

3 euro in the butchers.
    Feckin rip-off.

I pay €2.85 for 18 eggs in Tesco Naas. I guess up in Dundalk they must hire midwives for the hens when they lay an egg and that pushes up the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

3 euro in the butchers.
    Feckin rip-off.

Are they free range ones perhaps vs conventional?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

A pack of Yorkie Biscuits are about 1 euro more expensive than they were in the past or compared to supervalue. Tesco Clairehall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Last week? €3.49

Today? €3.70!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

People voting with their feet.

Or SuperValu buying a chunk of the market share via Superquinn?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

ThisRegard wrote: »

It's actually to do with SuperValu selling Superquinn Sausages

http://www.thejournal.ie/superquinn-sausages-green-1991923-Mar2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Superquinn added about 5% to super valu. So in fairness not exactly organic growth. And in the past I found them far far bigger Rip off merchants. Notorius for having "wrong" prices on offer (always higher) and mixing product sizes of offers which you rarely noticed until you left the store. I've always found tesco good that way to be fair to them. Price on display is usually correct.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Last week? €3.49

Today? €3.70!

What is?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    True. But Tesco have dropped from a 28% share a few years ago to 25% now.

• Advertisement

3 euro in the butchers.
    Feckin rip-off.
    Simple question, -can you buy 20 (or more) eggs in tesco dundalk for less than €6.05?

Advertisement