Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco outrageous price hikes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

snubbleste wrote: »
    True. But Tesco have dropped from a 28% share a few years ago to 25% now.

But Aldi and Lidl combined share has increased from 13.1% in 2013 to 16.9% this year, an almost 4% increase. I don't think Supervalu absorbing Superquinn has been the sole cause of the Tesco decrease.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/aldi-and-lidl-take-13-of-market-229852.html

The 16.9% is illustrated in your post #889.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,236 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

rubadub wrote: »
    Simple question, -can you buy 20 (or more) eggs in tesco dundalk for less than €6.05?

Of course, but then some people will strive to find something to give out about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Anyone see the price of eggs in Tesco lately?
    6.05 euro for a pack of 20 in the new Tesco in Dundalk???
    3 euro in the butchers.
    Feckin rip-off.

there's no way that 20 eggs for €3 are free range.
    are you definitely comparing like for like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

DivingDuck wrote: »
    I'd bite the hand off anyone for Peanut Butter ones, at any price. I've never seen them for sale here.
    get down to dealz
    Peanut butter M&Ms 90g in Dealz €1.49
    Normally a dollar at Walmart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Why are 2 x 100ml cans Lynx for €6 , and a 200ml can is only €5.89 in Tesco
    Am I missing something or are the 2 cans better value spray-wise ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tesco have no consistency in size to price ratios but its often the manufacturers pricing that causes it in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

It is more expensive to produce 2 100ml cans than 1 200ml can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The 100ml (€4.59) is compressed equivalent to 150ml regular size and on offer. The 200ml (€5.89) is not compressed and not on offer.
    Maybe try this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭CH3OH

All of the 2 for €6 are either 150mLs or 100mL compressed cans
    The compressed 100 mL cans are equivalent to 150 mL standard cans
    So in theory, they all work out at €20 per litre

The bigger can at €5.89 is 200 mL
    This works out at €29.45 per Litre

There are a few 150 mL cans that are half price until tomorrow:
    Lynx Black body spray 150mL €2.29
    Lynx Black body spray compressed 100mL €2.29
    Lynx Africa body spray 150mL €2.24

This works out at €15.25 per litre which is the best value:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,127 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

there's no way that 20 eggs for €3 are free range.
    are you definitely comparing like for like?

Tesco's eggs at 6.05 euro are not free range either.
    I got 20 eggs for 2.50 euro in the butchers today, Mc Ardle meats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

You can fool some of the people all of the time,
    You can fool all of the people some of the time,
    but you can't fool all of the people all of the time!

There was a time when Ireland was Tesco's most profitable subsidiary.....

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/tescos-irish-arm-is-worst-performer-worldwide-31163767.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

For some reason they have been hit hardest by lidl and aldi. I would have thought Dunnes but they seem to be holding their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RossD12

They try to hide the increase of their prices by advertising their 'Staying Down Price' ads so people will focus on what's gone cheaper instead of what has gotten more expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

RossD12 wrote: »
    They try to hide the increase of their prices by advertising their 'Staying Down Price' ads so people will focus on what's gone cheaper instead of what has gotten more expensive

Do you think they're mental or something, why would any business do otherwise ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

But all the same, it's quite annoying. I went to do a shop yesterday night, and amid the 'staying down', and 'no change' (who on earth is advertising that except Tesco?), were a lot of sneaky price increases. So a few items on my basket had got down, but a lot more had gone up.
    For instance, the fresh margharita pizza is now just 1.55, and no one will deny that this is very good value. But Quorn pieces are 3.19€ while they are still 2.75€ in Dunnes, and that's quite a jump

I'm lucky that I live close to a Lidl where I can complete my weekly shop with items that are available in both stores but much cheaper in Aldi.

Tesco Potato Croquettes 750g was 89c
    replaced by
    NEW Tesco Potato Croquettes 700g only €1.20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Tesco Potato Croquettes 750g was 89c
    replaced by
    NEW Tesco Potato Croquettes 700g only €1.20

check the ingredients - seems one of the changes made in tesco is the dumping of some of their cheap own brand products and replacing them with better quality.

I know the previous ones were dreadful.

The6 pack M&S at about €3 are fab. (I'd rather pay €3 for 6 decent ones than 89c for a bag of rubbish)

Sungrown orange/apple 1.5l was €1.40, €1.50 €1.60 €1.75

delahuntv wrote: »
    check the ingredients - seems one of the changes made in tesco is the dumping of some of their cheap own brand products and replacing them with better quality.
    Some items can be hard to gauge the value of by looking at ingredients. Stuff like potato. Those MS ones are amazing alright, but probably similar ingredients listings to horrible ones.

I compare sauce ingredients, lots are heavily watered down, and the curry leaf range seems good value.

Sungrown orange/apple 1.5l was €1.40, €1.50 €1.60 €1.75
    this juice is cheaper per litre so, but a bigger 2L size
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=255524865

I noticed the juice prices seem all over the place, the one above was in the chilled section in mine, the chilled cartons are usually more pricey but its cheaper per litres than the tesco value one.

T V Food Wrap 300mmx45m was 62c now 68c
    T V Toilet Tissue 4 Roll was 99c now €1.09
    Ecover NonBio Laundry Powder 1.875kg was €11.79 now €12.97

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

£1 was = to €1.20....now €1.40

Tesco is getting rid of a third of product lines in the UK.
    I assume the same is happening here. It'll mean less choice for the consumer.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/product-lines-face-axe-in-tesco-revival-bid-340081.html

Already is happening. The bargains thread has been full of clearouts of certain types of product, and other things are just not being restocked when they sell out (already slow moving items like premium spirits)

A lot of it is getting rid of non-food items though; they're now stuck with empty space in some UK stores from it and are doing things like renting it out to restaurants or putting their own non-Tesco branded chains in (Giraffe being one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,948 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Well they aren't going to get far with prices like this, although they did at least reduce it :D

pw0c7GQ.jpg?1

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/product-lines-face-axe-in-tesco-revival-bid-340081.html

Less choice will mean less customers, as some people only shop in Tesco due to the wider range.
    I suspect it will be hitting the small producers hard, the ones that can least negotiate their margins. I got talking to a mushroom producer recently, she told me that Tesco are very fierce, and when Tesco wants to do a special offer, they have no choice but to sell for no profit because otherwise they would lose their contract.
    And there will be no change in prices for the customer, only Tesco making more profits on the items they have left. Every week, there is at least one item that I choose to get from somewhere else due to price increase. I do the bulk of my shopping online, and they are the only ones doing free click and collect, which is convenient. But there are more and more things I buy in my top up shops at Dunnes, Aldi and Lidl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Less choice will mean less customers, as some people only shop in Tesco due to the wider range.

Most changes already made. There were simply far far far too many products in Tesco. This meant less economies of scale and higher prices.

At one stage there were about 10 brands of baked beans - aside for the numerous varieties. Same with basics such as tomato sauce.

New management have gone back to basics - let speciality food stores sell speciality foods and in Tesco sell brands people want.

One of the reasons I shop in Aldi is the smaller choice within products - you want relish, its one size jar and 3 varieties. In Tesco, you used to have a choice of 3 or 4 brands and 2 or 3 sizes! Crazy! For unusual items, I'd drop into a local speciality store or Donnybrook Fair if I'm up in Stiilorgan.

I have noticed that tesco don't seem to have dropped many Irish products - so possibly that's a positive (in addition to the sterling exchange making Irish products a lot cheaper).

On increased prices - with sterling at €1.40 and dollar at €0.90, expect increases on a lot of UK and USA sourced goods - not just on groceries.

delahuntv wrote: »
    There were simply far far far too many products in Tesco.
    +1, this also means is less shelf space for each item, so the ones on offer sell out right away. There are walls of ketchup and mayo in my tesco, its ridiculous, and the ones I want are often sold out so I end up buying elsewhere, as most alternatives are stupidly overpriced compared to them.

Searching ketchup on tesco gets 20 hits.

+1, this also means is less shelf space for each item, so the ones on offer sell out right away. There are walls of ketchup and mayo in my tesco, its ridiculous, and the ones I want are often sold out so I end up buying elsewhere, as most alternatives are stupidly overpriced compared to them.

For me it'd be more the items you can only get at specialized shops (not everyone has the money or the time to shop in Fallon & Byrne or Donnybrook Fair): Ras El Hanout spices, organic wholegrain spaghetti, medjool dates, rye flour, etc. I don't care so much for multiple choices of the same thing

When you take hello money from companies its very easy to get overwhelmed with "me too" products. Its much easier for another retailer to tell Jimbobs Ketchup, Beans and Mayonnaise to feck off than it is for Tesco who'll be asking for a kickback to stock them in the first place.

I'd say a big store has more than the 20 types of ketchup the app shows as basic stock too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭clairek6

€8.99 for 72 weetabix seems ridiculous to me?!

Advertisement