Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco outrageous price hikes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Tesco's 'fresh' stonebaked pizzas were "permanently" reduced ages ago, to between 1.49 and 1.79 (green box, in the fridge rather than a freezer).

Now 3.99, with one particular one on 'sale' for 2 euro :pac:

I have noticed that one. I used to buy the margarita's one weekly for the kids, and was not a happy bunny to discover they had jumped to a higher price than before the 'permanent' reduction :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

I think Tesco are really engaged in a new campaign of outrageous gouging.

They've done away with the "price difference" coupons.
    They first reduced the amount of the petrol vouchers and now they've done away with them.
    And now they seem to be increasing prices wherever they can to whatever they think they can get away with.

I won't shop with them any more. Basically, the UK parent is having a tough time of it and they're counting on the Irish ("Treasure Island" as they call it) to shore up their profit margins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They first reduced the amount of the petrol vouchers and now they've done away with them..

Their petrol was dearer by quite a margin to cover these "vouchers". This also rode everyone else in the towns they have stations in, as the other filling stations had no reason to reduce prices when the Tesco station was so dear.

I haven't bought anything in Tesco that is available elsewhere except when it has been on a significant offer for about three years.

L1011 wrote: »
    Their petrol was dearer by quite a margin to cover these "vouchers". This also rode everyone else in the towns they have stations in, as the other filling stations had no reason to reduce prices when the Tesco station was so dear.

I think that really depends where you are. The station in Dundrum is very competitive locally and nationally. With the .10 (or, later, .08) vouchers, they were lower than any station in the country.

For example, diesel is currently €1.139/l at Dundrum. The national average according to pumps.ie is €1.199. Take .08 off the Tesco Dundrum price and you're at €1.059. That's well below any price you can get anywhere else. The cheapest price in Dublin is €1.099.

But of course, that was then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The €10 lidl/aldi vouchers are back, the sunday world had both a aldi & lidl one last week. I know for certain they made a loss on my last 2 visits. The excise duty alone on what I bought was higher than what I handed over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Palmach

I think Tesco are really engaged in a new campaign of outrageous gouging.

They've done away with the "price difference" coupons.
    They first reduced the amount of the petrol vouchers and now they've done away with them.
    And now they seem to be increasing prices wherever they can to whatever they think they can get away with.

I won't shop with them any more. Basically, the UK parent is having a tough time of it and they're counting on the Irish ("Treasure Island" as they call it) to shore up their profit margins.

Then don't shop there. As a retailer I am always shocked that people are shocked that retailers are trying to make as much money as possible.

Palmach wrote: »
    Then don't shop there. As a retailer I am always shocked that people are shocked that retailers are trying to make as much money as possible.

What makes you think I'm shocked? Nothing a retailer does shocks me: it just costs them my custom.

And as a customer I am always shocked that retailers think that customers will remain loyal no matter what they do. That's the only thing that shocks me. Tesco has lost all of my custom as a result of these price increases.

Of course, part of the problem here is that the supermarkets act as a cartel. They generally don't compete on price. Instead they "match" prices, which is cartel-like behaviour. Serious anti-trust and anti-cartel regulation is needed to avoid situations where "they're all at it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Palmach

What makes you think I'm shocked? Nothing a retailer does shocks me: it just costs them my custom.

And as a customer I am always shocked that retailers think that customers will remain loyal no matter what they do. Tesco has lost all of my custom as a result of these price increases.

Of course, part of the problem here is that the supermarkets act as a cartel. They generally don't compete on price. Instead they "match" prices, which is cartel-like behaviour. Serious anti-trust and anti-cartel regulation is needed to avoid situations where "they're all at it."

Everyone does it. If you are selling cheaper than everyone esle why be a mug and stay at that price? Put the price up. Common business sense nothing cartel about it. Also convenience and parking trump price. In the British Grocery magazine customers listed price as 7th on the list of factors to decide their shopping habits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Palbear

€14 Cadburys Chocolate Biscuits Tin 343g

or the special offer - 2 for €10

Somewhat confusing price structure to my mind.

and if you are buying Coke, be careful. The bigger the pack, the dearer per can.
    very odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

I always but 18 packs of Coke in Dunnes, they're almost permanently between €6 and €8.49. In Tesco, they're occasionally on offer but mostly €11.29.
    If you work out the cost per can, you can save loads by shopping the offers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

I always buy 18 packs of Coke in Dunnes, they're almost permanently between €6 and €8.49. In Tesco, they're occasionally on offer but mostly €11.29.
    If you work out the cost per can, you can save loads by shopping the offers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Everyone does it. If you are selling cheaper than everyone esle why be a mug and stay at that price? Put the price up. Common business sense nothing cartel about it. Also convenience and parking trump price. In the British Grocery magazine customers listed price as 7th on the list of factors to decide their shopping habits.

Magazine surveys or anything like it are never ever to be relied upon. 76 percent of people lie in surveys to adapt to group think. Sure anyone can make up a statistic, 87 percent of people know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

And as a customer I am always shocked that retailers think that customers will remain loyal no matter what they do. Tesco has lost all of my custom as a result of these price increases.

Well then at this stage you must be living off the land.

EVERY retailer intention is to make a profit, and as much profit as possible. That goes from Tesco and their marketing to the corner shop that might sell a multipack separately to make a few extra cents per can. The suppliers are in on it too, sure a bar of chocolate weighs about 80% of what it used to, and the tin of roses that shrinks ever smaller each year...how do they live with themselves :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I think that really depends where you are. The station in Dundrum is very competitive locally and nationally. With the .10 (or, later, .08) vouchers, they were lower than any station in the country.

For example, diesel is currently €1.139/l at Dundrum. The national average according to pumps.ie is €1.199. Take .08 off the Tesco Dundrum price and you're at €1.059. That's well below any price you can get anywhere else. The cheapest price in Dublin is €1.099.

But of course, that was then...

Is diesel really that cheap at that station? I drive by there every day and don't even bother look because I assumed it would be higher given it's location.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Jonti

As their "Jingle" says, every little bit help! Yeah helps them increase profits!!!

Caliden wrote: »
    Is diesel really that cheap at that station? I drive by there every day and don't even bother look because I assumed it would be higher given it's location.

It's always been among the cheaper stations in Dublin. Certainly the cheapest in that part of Dublin. The vouchers made it so cheap that I'd make sure to go nowhere else.
    EVERY retailer intention is to make a profit, and as much profit as possible. That goes from Tesco and their marketing to the corner shop that might sell a multipack separately to make a few extra cents per can.

That's true. What I object to is cartel-like behaviour which is illegal in many other parts of the world. Google "tacit collusion" and you'll get some idea of what's going on.

The attitude of some in this thread seems to be: anything that anyone can get away with is OK. It isn't OK, even if it's widespread and there is no reason Irish grocery prices should be as high as they are, even allowing for exchange rates and geographical isolation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Palbear wrote: »
    €14 Cadburys Chocolate Biscuits Tin 343g

or the special offer - 2 for €10

Somewhat confusing price structure to my mind.

I imagine a scenario where it makes perfect sense, but it relies on the following (fairly possible) assumptions:

1. these products have a limited period of desirability where they're only in demand around Christmas
    2. the producers expect the retailers to take a reasonably high level of stock on this item, so
    3. the shop wants to move as much stock as possible

In that case, it would make perfect sense to flog them off early at €5 a pop to shift a lot of stock. Once the stock is at a more scarce level and it's gotten closer to Christmas, they can end the offer in the knowledge that customers are desperate, they themselves are under less pressure from the sheer volume of stock sitting around, and the customers have already seen that the "proper" price of the item was €14 and are more likely to be annoyed with themselves for having missed the offer than with the shop for charging such an outrageous price.

Just a guess, but it seems plausible to me. There's also the whole "Get them in for offer X, then hit them with small increases on A, B, and C which they probably won't notice" idea, which often applies, too. People go mad about the prices of Christmas biscuits, so if they hear they're cheap in Tesco, they'll probably give them a look-- and it won't be all they buy when they're in there, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

It's Tesco's underhand method of trying to trick people into buying more expensive products that annoys me.

For example, they have a big sign saying REDUCED .50, yet when you get to the check out, it turns out the product was reduced by .50 not to.50. I've fallen foul of this myself.

Another of their tricks is to move the discounted toiletries to another section altogether, so you pick up the non discounted toiletry. Or they have the "wrong size" so you're charged at til.

Their carry on sickens me and I rarely shop with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

Gotta love the way a Tropicana 1L is now 850ml. And manages to cost more...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

TV Toothbrush 2 Pack was 49c now 55c. Shocking increase of 12%!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭PeteK*

redt0m wrote: »
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=287294027

513%5C5022313319513%5CIDShot_225x225.jpg
    Tropicana Ruby Breakfast Juice 850Ml
    Special OfferAny 2 For 4.00
    valid until 15/12/2015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You know Tesco don't manufacturer it don't you?

:confused: there are plenty of 1L tropicanas showing in tesco, and many are 2 for 4euro at the moment.

ellejay wrote: »
    Another of their tricks is to move the discounted toiletries to another section altogether, so you pick up the non discounted toiletry. Or they have the "wrong size" so you're charged at til.

Their carry on sickens me and I rarely shop with them.

The do this trick all the time in the wine section too. I believe it is intentional.

example: Brancott Estate Sauvignon Blanc special offer was €18 now €10

You pick it up, go to the till and get charged €18 because you are have a bottle of the higher priced Chardonnay.

Be warned buying their Nespresso compatible coffee capsules.
    At €4 they are more than double the price of every other supermarket.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You know Tesco don't manufacturer it don't you?

The Tesco brand Not From Concentrate OJ is €1.99 but Lidl and Aldi sell their equivalent for €1.49

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Palbear wrote: »
    The do this trick all the time in the wine section too. I believe it is intentional.

example: Brancott Estate Sauvignon Blanc special offer was €18 now €10

You pick it up, go to the till and get charged €18 because you are have a bottle of the higher priced Chardonnay.

But you're the one that picked up the wrong bottle, or was it force into your hand by a Tesco employee? It's not that difficult to see that wine type is in the bottle you've picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

But you're the one that picked up the wrong bottle, or was it force into your hand by a Tesco employee? It's not that difficult to see that wine type is in the bottle you've picked.

You're obviously lucky enough not to bargain hunt in Tesco

• Advertisement

It's not that difficult to see that wine type is in the bottle you've picked.
    +1, if there is real doubt you can check the barcodes against the SEL label, some people will put bottles back in the wrong place.

Advertisement