Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco outrageous price hikes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

in my opinion, it happens too much for it to be a mistake.
    I think it's an underhand marketing ploy by Tesco.

I had a recent situation with the Dolmio Lasagne Kits.
    I knew no matter how much I checked the kit against the sign, it would still be full price at the till
    And guess what, it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

ellejay wrote: »
    in my opinion, it happens too much for it to be a mistake.
    I think it's an underhand marketing ploy by Tesco.

it definitely isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I had a recent situation with the Dolmio Lasagne Kits.
    I knew no matter how much I checked the kit against the sign, it would still be full price at the till
    And guess what, it was.
    In future if you are so confident you can take advantage and buy several items, and get double the difference back.

Not sure how you were so certain you would be overcharged, sounds like you cross referenced the barcodes like I suggested? this is that the staff often do when confirming an incorrect rice.

I have no issue taking advantage of them, as they are using me as cheap labour, doing a job they should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Palbear

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's not that difficult to see that wine type is in the bottle you've picked.

It is difficult enough with this brand. The grape is in small font. everything else is identical. except the price of course.

So you tend to trust the shelf sticker to be correct. When buying a dozen bottles, one is unlikely to read the small print on every label.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Palbear wrote: »
    It is difficult enough with this brand. The grape is in small font. everything else is identical. except the price of course.

So you tend to trust the shelf sticker to be correct. When buying a dozen bottles, one is unlikely to read the small print on every label.

Instead of thinking it's a big conspiracy theory against you, why don't you just carry it to the price checker? Or to a till and ask to check a price? Or even ask a member of staff to do it for you?

It's that easy and far less frustrating the thinking Tesco are trying to swindle you as part of their masterplan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Organix baby rice cakes, from 1.49€ to 1.65€. Supervalu and Dunnes still charge old price.
    It's a small increase, but given that my son eats one pack of these everyday, it will end up pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭hous

I think Tesco are really engaged in a new campaign of outrageous gouging.

They've done away with the "price difference" coupons.
    They first reduced the amount of the petrol vouchers and now they've done away with them.
    And now they seem to be increasing prices wherever they can to whatever they think they can get away with.

I won't shop with them any more. Basically, the UK parent is having a tough time of it and they're counting on the Irish ("Treasure Island" as they call it) to shore up their profit margins.

Or the weakness of the euro has resulted in them having to push up price to stand still on profit.

It is not as simple as gouging the Irish customer

The do this trick all the time in the wine section too. I believe it is intentional.

example: Brancott Estate Sauvignon Blanc special offer was €18 now €10

You pick it up, go to the till and get charged €18 because you are have a bottle of the higher priced Chardonnay.

Wow...you get charged the right amount for you picking up the wrong product and it's the retailers fault

hous wrote: »
    Wow...you get charged the right amount for you picking up the wrong product and it's the retailers fault

Not so cut and dried actually, I would be of the opinion Tesco deliberately have the wrong stock above the offer sign.

If it was accidental, I'd expect the reverse to happen occasionally.
    Amazing how the cheaper item is never stocked above the dearer price.
    Amazing how this also never happens in other stores.

• Advertisement

Instead of thinking it's a big conspiracy theory against you, why don't you just carry it to the price checker? Or to a till and ask to check a price? Or even ask a member of staff to do it for you?

It's that easy and far less frustrating the thinking Tesco are trying to swindle you as part of their masterplan.

price checker's rarely work in the local Tesco Store, anyway shoppers shouldn't have to price check.

personally I wouldn't have time to queue at a til to check a price, but that's not the point. Tesco should get it right, in the majority of cases.

I can allow for the odd slip, but it's constant.

Not so cut and dried actually, I would be of the opinion Tesco deliberately have the wrong stock above the offer sign.

Your opinion is wrong.

It's happened to me in other stores. Errors happen, I wouldn't say it's a strategy to con the shoppers, rather it's due to the number of items they sell and the fact that they pay they shelf packers a pittance.
    You said it yourself, you found it hard to distinguish between the Chardonnay and the Sauvignon. It could have happened to the people stacking the shelves too.

On the other hand, I find shopping in Tesco very, very tedious as you need to check every other item or so against the barcode, or cross the store to the price checker to check 20 items. Even on items I choose regularly, I keep my eyes peeled as prices change very often (unfortunately, not often to my advantage, although it does happen)

Nanazolie wrote: »
    It's happened to me in other stores. Errors happen, I wouldn't say it's a strategy to con the shoppers, rather it's due to the number of items they sell and the fact that they pay they shelf packers a pittance.
    You said it yourself, you found it hard to distinguish between the Chardonnay and the Sauvignon. It could have happened to the people stacking the shelves too.

On the other hand, I find shopping in Tesco very, very tedious as you need to check every other item or so against the barcode, or cross the store to the price checker to check 20 items. Even on items I choose regularly, I keep my eyes peeled as prices change very often (unfortunately, not often to my advantage, although it does happen)

This happens due to the sheer volume of customers and them changing their minds, stand in an aisle for a few minutes and watch multiple people pick things up and place them back down anywhere, over the course of the day this happens thousands of times resulting in products not always being displayed next to correct labels. You'll find it happens more as day goes on. Nothing to do with a strategy to increase sales/profit....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

If it was accidental, I'd expect the reverse to happen occasionally.
    Amazing how the cheaper item is never stocked above the dearer price.
    Amazing how this also never happens in other stores.

It does happen occasionally. It's happened to me the odd time. There's also a bargain alerts Tesco thread where people post if they've discovered a bargain that isn't listed or priced correctly. It's on it's second megathread so about 11,000 posts. Far more than this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057428674&page=91

I find it laughable that people think that Tesco deliberately set out to swindle them into buying the wrong item. Stock sells out, people pick up the item beside it and set it back in the wrong place. If you look at a typical aisle in ANY supermarket the same branded items in different sizes/flavours etc tend to be displayed together, yet it's all Tescos fault that people cannot compare the SEL.

If it's so difficult to check a price, or ask somebody if you want to query it - shop online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

happens thousands of times resulting in products not always being displayed next to correct labels.
    It is also more likely to happen with products on offer. e.g. someone gets some donegal catch packet, all of which look quite similar. They walk around the top of the aisle (where the offers are in my tesco) now they see the similar packet of donegal catch on offer and swop them around. Nothing sinister, just lazy.

Then the on sale packets are all snapped up and people wrongly thing the leftover swopped ones are the ones on offer.

I agree.

Yes

Yes

Absolutely ridiculous...as someone who has worked across lots of different Retailers for many years I can categorically state that this is not a practice any retailer employs. It would be impossible to administer and would make it much more difficult for the store to operate things such as stock counts and price changes....it simply does not happen, it is borne out of lazy shopper behaviour primarily and human error of shop floor staff on other occassions

fair enough

• Advertisement

Absolutely ridiculous...as someone who has worked across lots of different Retailers for many years I can categorically state that this is not a practice any retailer employs. It would be impossible to administer and would make it much more difficult for the store to operate things such as stock counts and price changes....it simply does not happen, it is borne out of lazy shopper behaviour primarily and human error of shop floor staff on other occassions

oh, ok so.
    you've convinced me......not.

perhaps you've only worked across Tesco stores.

oh, ok so.
    you've convinced me......not.

perhaps you've only worked across Tesco stores.

I've never worked in Tesco stores, but have worked in many other retail stores across most areas of retail...its a fact of life, maybe more prevalent in Tesco due to them having highest amount of customers going through their doors. Never had a hanger in a clothes shop with wrong size on it? Exactly the same principle.

In Tesco Extra Naas, every couple of months there is a promotion on the 200g Cadbury bars (Dairy Milk, Fruit & Nut etc) for €2 each. All the bars except Whole Nut are included in the promotion, Whole Nut stays as €3.29 or there abouts.
    An end of aisle, couple of shelves are set aside for the promotion with loads of yellow Sel labels. However, every single time, the Whole Nut bars are stocked on the end of aisle promotion shelves with no related Sel Label. This is very misleading and every time I point it out to customer services, nothing is done about it.
    The Whole Nut bars are not there by accident as the shelves have been stocked intentionally that way.

In Tesco Extra Naas, every couple of months there is a promotion on the 200g Cadbury bars (Dairy Milk, Fruit & Nut etc) for €2 each. All the bars except Whole Nut are included in the promotion, Whole Nut stays as €3.29 or there abouts.
    An end of aisle, couple of shelves are set aside for the promotion with loads of yellow Sel labels. However, every single time, the Whole Nut bars are stocked on the end of aisle promotion shelves with no related Sel Label. This is very misleading and every time I point it out to customer services, nothing is done about it.
    The Whole Nut bars are not there by accident as the shelves have been stocked intentionally that way.

You're spot on friend. Clever product placement. This is what we have been trying to explain to the doubting Thomas' who think that the customers are putting stuff back in the wrong place.

Now check the wine section special offers. Same thing.

Go to toiletries. Bingo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

price checker's rarely work in the local Tesco Store, anyway shoppers shouldn't have to price check.

But they should read the labels of the items they put in their basket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭nc6000

So if this isn't done on purpose by Tesco then how come I've never been overcharged in Aldi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

nc6000 wrote: »
    So if this isn't done on purpose by Tesco then how come I've never been overcharged in Aldi?

Aldi would have about 1/20th of the number of individual product lines a Tesco Extra would, and rarely do promotions on items bar the Super 6. Rather easier to keep track of.

L1011 wrote: »
    Aldi would have about 1/20th of the number of individual product lines a Tesco Extra would, and rarely do promotions on items bar the Super 6. Rather easier to keep track of.

So what about Dunnes, Supervalue, Centra, Spar?

Centra and Spar are usually quite small and with way fewer items

Dunnes and Supervalu are guilty of this too. For ex. crisps will be on special, except one of the x number of flavours. And the one that is not on special will sometimes end up in the wrong place, where the 'special offer' label will be.
    I've been overcharged in Dunnes and Supervalu too. In fairness, it happens more often in Tesco, but again I think it's because I buy more items in Tesco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

All the source of regular complaints about mispricing here.

Advertisement