Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco outrageous price hikes

Options
1293031323335»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

nc6000 wrote: »
    So if this isn't done on purpose by Tesco then how come I've never been overcharged in Aldi?

Are there even shelves in Aldi, aren't most items stored and displayed in their boxes they came in. Less chance of a customer picking up the wrong item and making the mistake of thinking it's something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Are there even shelves in Aldi, aren't most items stored and displayed in their boxes they came in. Less chance of a customer picking up the wrong item and making the mistake of thinking it's something else.

And there tends to be only one brand of an item, and not in different sizes or packaging. Take tomato ketchup or mayonnaise, in Aldi you have one option, maybe 2 if they do a low salt version (that's the same price, in the same box)

Tesco lists 9 different sizes and styles of Heinz ketchup, and 15 versions of Hellmans mayonnaise (unflavoured). That's only one brand, there's dozens of options of ketchups and mayos available for customers to choose from and ultimately make a mess of the shelf.

You don't get the choice of being stupid in Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

hous wrote: »
    Or the weakness of the euro has resulted in them having to push up price to stand still on profit.

It is not as simple as gouging the Irish customer

I'm afraid it is. Case in point: Almond Oats & More Cereal.

Tesco used to sell a 425g box for €4.29 and a 600g box for €4.89.

They got rid of the 600g box.

Then they increased the price of the 425g box to €4.89.

Exchange rates, you say?

Dunne's still sell it for €4.29.

Tesco UK sell it for £2.49. At current exchange rates with sterling, that's €3.36.

QED

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

I thought this took the biscuit -

Chocolate Polo biscuits are on sale everywhere for 1.99. They have "Special Price 1.99" emblazoned across the packet. Tesco sell them for 2.19.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

You don't get the choice of being stupid in Aldi.

What an absolutely ridiculous comment.

I have been overcharged in Tesco plenty of times and got refunds on each occasion because the fault has been made by Tesco not me.

I wasn't being stupid, misreading labels or selecting the wrong product. I was simply overcharged because the price I was charged didn't match the sticker or one of their offers wasn't applied at the till.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

nc6000 wrote: »
    What an absolutely ridiculous comment.

I have been overcharged in Tesco plenty of times and got refunds on each occasion because the fault has been made by Tesco not me.

I wasn't being stupid, misreading labels or selecting the wrong product. I was simply overcharged because the price I was charged didn't match the sticker or one of their offers wasn't applied at the till.

Have you read the past couple of pages? People picking up items they assume are on offer but they're not. They have read the SEL incorrectly or assume that the product they pick up is the offer item. They get their knickers in a twist and are convinced there's a big conspiracy by Tesco.

When the SELs are wrong then Tesco are wrong. Not what I, or anybody else in the past couple of pages was referring to. Those discoveries are always posted on the bargains thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tesco appears to be going the other way now.
    Reductions on some basics
    TV sweetcorn 325g was 52c now 40c

but don't really notice as I don't go there often. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

snubbleste wrote: »
    Tesco appears to be going the other way now.
    Reductions on some basics
    TV sweetcorn 325g was 52c now 40c

but don't really notice as I don't go there often. :cool:

Was it always325g?

Was it always325g?
    Yep, for years. Was 52c up until a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Be careful with your trolley on the way out of the shop. Tesco may rip the product you've paid for out of your hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

the regular one gone down in price. I noticed a few weeks ago they were very close in price and thought it odd.

I see now the regular brand, also 325g is 47cent.

IIRC it was something like 52cent and 57cent for regular.

They both have the same drained weight, the regular one is has no added salt or sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

However, I have noticed that the blue dragon stir in sauces, in the sachet's have gone from .79 to 1.09.
    I used to buy about 4 a month but now buy the aldi version for .69

Noticed that
    T Cod Liver Oil 1000mg 30 €0.47
    T Cod Liver Oil 550mg 90 €0.79
    T Cod Liver Oil 1000mg 90 €4.49

All have roughly the same ingredients. The third one is three times more expensive than the other two.
    It is another example of the Aldi/Lidl effect as the first two are significantly cheaper than UK versions £1.50 £1.75 £3.50

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭rabjoshu

Tesco had soap pads for around 60c, withdrew them and introduced NEW Tesco soap pads for €1.25
    That's 5c more expensive than Brillo right next on the shelf

Advertisement