Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco outrageous price hikes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Euro spar are the biggest cheats.Example Pink Lady apples Tesco 47c,Eurospar 1.33.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Coke has always been 200ml in pubs as far back as I remember, it is one item with such a massive markup that they do not really have to reduce quantities even if raw materials did go up.

yep its been the same size since i first saw one in 1988

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Skopzz wrote: »
    Yes - definitely worth avoiding Tesco at all costs...

I left Tesco in 2010 and never looked back ever since. I initially had difficulty adjusting to Aldi but they are soooooo much cheaper than Tesco. Lidl aren't appealing because they are increasingly stocking big brand names (which most people don't want) and loosing their competitiveness. Tesco is a British food chain.

Yes I'm finding that Lidl is becoming Irishised too, Its very rare I'd buy anything in Tesco as its cheaper products really are mank.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

charlemont wrote: »
    Very rare I'd buy anything in Tesco as its cheaper products really are mank.

That's the core problem with Tesco these days. They price match Aldi/Lidl on most of their Value range but the quality is dire at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Fungus wrote: »
    That's the core problem with Tesco these days. They price match Aldi/Lidl on most of their Value range but the quality is dire at best.

Value is scapped, the UK competition fairly hammered Tesco Value range in the UK so they have decided to rebrand and also redevelop the Finest range in coming months. The problem is as you said that Tesco likes to compare its Value range against Aldi/Lidl but really they should be benchmarking its standard range but they are unwilling to slice their margins on standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭blowtorch

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    yep its been the same size since i first saw one in 1988

Showing my age!. I definately remember 300Ml size and them getting smaller. + I'm sure I've seen 180ML sizes. Must have a closer look. And not too long ago, Cidona in a pub was 330 ML (you couldn't fit the contents of the bottle into a 1/2 pint glass)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

blowtorch wrote: »
    Showing my age!. I definately remember 300Ml size and them getting smaller. + I'm sure I've seen 180ML sizes.
    you will see other mixers at 180ml, some even lower I think 125ml is the smallest I have seen, I think a pint of schweppes lemonade is about €12 in my local.

I have only seen the 200ml bottles here. This uk site shows 200ml as "mixer" and 330ml coke as "straight drinking" which look like they are glass

http://www.cokepubandbar.co.uk/pdfs/fullrange.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Nanazolie wrote: »
    I'm not sure if reducing size of confectionaries and percentage of alcohol is such a bad thing. Sure, you get less for your money, but it's better for you.

I think most people notice the price hikes but won't notice the pack size being reduced. I think if the price hikes are inevitable due to higher energy cost and sugar prices, etc... I would rather have a smaller pack than have to pay more

Protecting the stupid and making sh1t more expensive for smart people with half a brain, eh no thanks! Ryanair works great, the dumb pay!

sting60 wrote: »
    Euro spar are the biggest cheats.Example Pink Lady apples Tesco 47c,Eurospar 1.33.

lol so dumb

blowtorch wrote: »
    Showing my age!. I definately remember 300Ml size and them getting smaller. + I'm sure I've seen 180ML sizes. Must have a closer look. And not too long ago, Cidona in a pub was 330 ML (you couldn't fit the contents of the bottle into a 1/2 pint glass)

we still sell them where i work

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

Skopzz wrote: »
    Yes - definitely worth avoiding Tesco at all costs...

I left Tesco in 2010 and never looked back ever since. I initially had difficulty adjusting to Aldi but they are soooooo much cheaper than Tesco. Lidl aren't appealing because they are increasingly stocking big brand names (which most people don't want) and loosing their competitiveness. Tesco is a British food chain.
    ...and Dunnes is Irish. Buy Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

IDShot_225x225.jpg

This was always in and around €1.35 as I bought it to have with a coffee. I just noticed today that it's shot up to about €1.80 which is a hefty damn increase.

IDShot_225x225.jpg

Plain old humous has gone from around €1.35 to €1.75 which is again a huge increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kitty9

the price of condoms in my local tesco has gone up by 7c!! :O

guess i'll just have to risk no protection and pull out :P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

kitty9 wrote: »
    the price of condoms in my local tesco has gone up by 7c!! :O

guess i'll just have to risk no protection and pull out :P

If they're guaranteed Irish, it's well worth the increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

their value range is now called the everyday value range. same ould muck dressed up in new packaging. how they get away with saying their value range is the same quality as the aldi own brand range is anyones guess as its far from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 endamary

yes, we gotta make sure to check the receipts before we leave , nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

tesco's are losing a lot of customers in the uk........they are very worried at the moment..

tesco's are losing a lot of customers in the uk........they are very worried at the moment..

They already gave the head-man the boot, so no doubt the new man will be putting together a wondrous scheme to get the customers back, or he'll be gone as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

their value range is now called the everyday value range. same ould muck dressed up in new packaging.

Supervalu did the exact same, it's all about how you market it

• Registered Users Posts: 24 twinge

I don't see how changing the head man will improve anything. Tesco needs to realize who their competition are, and stop the raising of prices on things like fruit. I already posted how their market value oranges went up by 50% in a year - stupid when you consider the prevalence of Aldi and Lidl. The only reason I still look in Tesco is to raid their bargain bin, where on a good day you can get things at one tenth the original price. Lidl only marks stuff down by 30%. But no, I would never do my main shop at Tesco anymore- too damned expensive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

jonnny68 wrote: »
    for a 6 pack of 380ml lucozade tesco are charging €4.50 or 2 for €7, in dunnes you can get a 6 pack for €2.99, before xmas you could get a 6 pack lucozade in tesco for €2.50 so in the space of a few months it's gone up by €2 and it's €1.51 cheaper in dunnes.

and then I saw this posted about 2 weeks ago on the Tesco Bargain Alerts thread:
    BlueKi wrote: »
    Lucozade 6pack on sale in douglas at 2.42 a pack.
    I bought 10packs :D

It worked by God!!

twinge wrote: »
    I don't see how changing the head man will improve anything. Tesco needs to realize who their competition are, and stop the raising of prices on things like fruit. I already posted how their market value oranges went up by 50% in a year - stupid when you consider the prevalence of Aldi and Lidl. The only reason I still look in Tesco is to raid their bargain bin, where on a good day you can get things at one tenth the original price. Lidl only marks stuff down by 30%. But no, I would never do my main shop at Tesco anymore- too damned expensive!

Changing the head man years ago worked wonders, but since he quit Tesco has lost the plot. I think they're on their second CEO now, since he left.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/article-2150954/Terry-Leahy-How-turned-company-35bn-success.html
    Former Tesco boss Sir Terry Leahy: How I turned unruly stores and bullying bosses into a £35bn success

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Yeah Tesco I've noticed some good and some bad changes. Tesco Everyday Value Irish eggs are now €1.99 for 12, that's good value. But the price of the Value Swing Bin Liners varies radically from store to store. In some stores 40 bags are 65c or 69c (mega bargain) in other Tesco stores the same product is €1.79 or €1.65

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Oracle wrote: »
    Tesco Everyday Value Irish eggs are now €1.99 for 12, that's good value.
    I saw that too, used to be something like 2.29 and 18 were and still are 2.95. I used to get 18 but now its just a tiny bit more per egg for 12.

I think the eggs might be a little bigger too, unless it was supervalu I am thinking of, one used have tiny "value" eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

rubadub wrote: »
    I saw that too, used to be something like 2.29 and 18 were and still are 2.95. I used to get 18 but now its just a tiny bit more per egg for 12.

I think the eggs might be a little bigger too, unless it was supervalu I am thinking of, one used have tiny "value" eggs.

No you're right they are bigger. They're now medium size, same as Lidl. I never used buy them because they were small, and kinda funny looking, with bird doo, feathers, etc .... they're fine now though. But for how long ...... ?? Tesco are famous for the "spend huge money on a marketing campaign for 6 months then cheapen the products and/or raise the prices" tactic. The minute they do that I'm switching back to Lidl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Are Tesco stores not individual as regards pricing, regionally at least? I've found that the Tesco here in Letterkenny vastly reduced prices across the board a few years back to draw the custom back in again and stop people going over the border into asda ect to shop. It has stayed cheapish since.

I did find things more expensive in Tesco's down the country comparatively any time I've needed to visit one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Tesco value range? I have noticed on their website that the brown and white breads are *permanently unavailable* 75c/65c respectively - next cheapest pans are 99c for brown and E1.29 for white?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This has been normally 75c for the past year and ~58p in UK. This week it shot up 100% to €1.50
    IDShot_225x225.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

snubbleste wrote: »
    This has been normally 75c for the past year and ~58p in UK. This week it shot up 100% to €1.50
    IDShot_225x225.jpg
    but a can opener isn't something you buy every week like bread......:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

snubbleste wrote: »
    IDShot_225x225.jpg

Probably an etreme example, but you will find a lot of chinese made products goin up substantially in next few months.

1 - chinese factory inflation is at over 8%
    2 - Dollar has fallen from $1.40 last year to 1.22 this year.

In Ikea today I noticed increases throughout the store. Many as high as 20%. Cheked their UK site and prices increases across the board there too.

Advertisement