Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco outrageous price hikes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

And cheap can openers don't work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

And cheap can openers don't work.
    I'm a proud owner of a 2011 edition of the Tesco Value Butterfly can opener.
    It works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

snubbleste wrote: »
    I'm a proud owner of a 2011 edition of the Tesco Value Butterfly can opener.
    It works.
    How long have you got it?

I went through a load of cheap ones, they all rust or break in no time.

How long have you got it?
    I went through a load of cheap ones, they all rust or break in no time.
    About 13 months, used on average every second day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

About 13 months, used on average every second day.

Who's using can openers anymore, do they not all come with ring pulls now?! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Sadly not everything has those yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Tesco croissants went from 60 cents to 75 cents, a box of 4 was 2.30 (on special for a while at 2.00€), now 2.75.
    I thought it was due to an increase in the price of flour and/or butter, but all other danishes and breads are still the same price :confused:

I refuse to pay the extra few cents per can for ring pulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Sadly not everything has those yet.

I suppose if I cooked more than beans I would notice :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

I refuse to pay the extra few cents per can for ring pulls.

I agree - I don't use one of those butterfly tin openers - I use Mr. Stabby :) - it never breaks - old fashioned tin opener :)

SD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Used to buy Tesco's tropical juice for €1.99, might have been cheaper come to think of it.

447%5C5000119128447%5CIDShot_225x225.jpg

Anyway, the price for the product has now risen to €2.69.
    Stopped buying it as soon as it went over €2, just not worth it,
    shame really, quite liked it.

Same product is £1.39 on the UK tesco site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

KY Jelly has gone up in price recently, used to be 4.99 and it's 5.49 now I think!!
    Tesco taking advantage of the fact people have to entertain themselves at home more nowadays instead of going out :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

alan1990 wrote: »
    KY Jelly ...entertain themselves at home

:eek::o:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Used to buy Tesco's tropical juice for €1.99, might have been cheaper come to think of it.

447%5C5000119128447%5CIDShot_225x225.jpg

Anyway, the price for the product has now risen to €2.69.
    Stopped buying it as soon as it went over €2, just not worth it,
    shame really, quite liked it.

Same product is £1.39 on the UK tesco site.
    probably because the price of fuel is skyrocketing and the sterling is beginning to hammer the euro again:
    1.39 GBP = 1.77205 EUR throw in the the irregularities between vat here and there and the higher cost of employment here and you've probbaly made up the difference?

Tesco wine gums 250g was 56c, now 59c. An increase of 5% (they are 89p in UK, but don't tell them!)
    Kelloggs Cornflakes 750g was €3.45 last year, now €3.79

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

A few prices have gone up in the last few days. I shopped there on Tuesday, then again on Sunday and a lot of the items I bought on both occasions have gone up. 5 cents here, 10 cents there. It all adds up

I noticed that too Nanazolie.
    A few little cents on products I buy occasionally, all rising the same week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

was doing an order online today and some of my faves have gone up 10/20c in the last 2 weeks - back to school prices perhaps?

was doing an order online today and some of my faves have gone up 10/20c in the last 2 weeks - back to school prices perhaps?
    euro getting weaker / petrol becoming more expensive methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

euro getting weaker / petrol becoming more expensive methinks

youthinks correctly. You will see it everywhere that imports stuff in the next week or so. Some locally produced products may drop slightly though. I see Lidl water (Limerick) has dropped 4cent already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Lplated

18 Tesco eggs [category: small] - used to be 2.59 for the pack, last week rose to 2.85.

Read elsewhere that grain shortage in U.S. and crop problems here and in Eastern Europe would push up price due to cost of feeding chickens.

Just waiting for bread and other cereal based products to shoot up on same basis.

Indo has a survey of branded goods that Irish shoppers buy.
    A survey conducted by the Irish Independent, tracking prices for top-selling branded family favourites, found a basket of goods rose in price from €84 to €95 in the past two years. That's a 13% increase and is heading back towards the Celtic Tiger high of €96 which was charged for a similar basket of goods in 2008.
    http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/surviving-the-recession/families-paying-500-a-year-more-for-topselling-brands-3213311.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tesco wine gums 250g was 56c, now 59c. An increase of 5% (they are 89p in UK, but don't tell them!)
    Now this one is genuinely outrageous!
    Indo has a survey of branded goods that Irish shoppers buy.
    You have to be careful with these surveys. You need to read all the fine print and see if you agree with it. Some shopped in the complete opposite way that I do, i.e. the ignored all special offers in one survey I saw. Instead they used the "before" price, which most will know is often ridiculously high to make the offer appear better.

In the 80's it was far more rare to see "half price" and "buy on get one free", these surveys should be done in some better way. I don't know what rules to have but its stupid to have a mindless survey robot picking up the likes of "Coca Cola and 7-Up rose 10pc to €2.39", when I don't think I have paid over €1.75 for bottles of it in years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭wishwashwoo

Wait for this one tesco 10 meter of coaxial cable white 20 cable clips and an rf plug
    Wait for it. 27.99 for that. it was in a blister pack. Jesus Christ this is 945 per cent profit for tesco as I can buy 100 meters of rg6 cable witch by the way is a far far better cable spec for 15 euros and a box of proper clips for 1.35 euros. when are the Irish people going to stop talking this **** up the arse and do something about it march march and let them know we're the leaders of our own country start a movement
    Take our country back from the turkeys that run it

Wait for this one tesco 10 meter of coaxial cable white 20 cable clips and an rf plug
    Wait for it. 27.99 for that. it was in a blister pack. Jesus Christ this is 945 per cent profit for tesco as I can buy 100 meters of rg6 cable witch by the way is a far far better cable spec for 15 euros and a box of proper clips for 1.35 euros. when are the Irish people going to stop talking this **** up the arse and do something about it march march and let them know we're the leaders of our own country start a movement
    How much would the same Tesco cable cost in woodies and power city?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

The Tesco in Rathfarnham (beside the Dodder) really has gone downhill in terms of the quality and selection of goods over the last 12 months or so.
    Even though the prices have risen.

The only thing I buy in there now is their Lemon & Lime Zero, which tastes just like Sprite. 2 liters will set you back 79c.

My fruit and veg is bought in Aldi. Cornflakes in Lidl are €1.68 for a kilo box.

Every little helps ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Tesco Rathfarnham is quite good for the bargains though... got a total of €36 of fish for €6 in the reduced section a few weeks ago... monkfish, cod and ray wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Buy it from where?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

I noticed a can of red bull has gone up from 1.50 to 1.75.

Bottles of water gone up a few cent also.

Seems to be price rising time for tesco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

Tesco brand 250 pack white sticker labels €4. Price in Porters Newsagent for same quantity of sticker labels of superior quality €1.99.

Advertisement