Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco outrageous price hikes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Outrageous price-drop. The 8 sachet Nescafe Mocha had crept up to €3.45, but seems to have dropped to €2.95.

SuperValu charges €3.74 which is outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

The Dettol No Touch soap machines had been below €11.50 but have now shot up to over €16.50. Likewise the refills I think were about €3.53 but are now over €4.50- those are some pretty significant increases.

One could speculate that the machines are going to be on offer again but the refills are never on offer. I refuse to buy them as other liquid soaps are cheaper or the various brands are often on offer. I've been refilling the containers with whatever soap is on offer that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

That's Life Boy!*

*Sorry mods. And only the older Boardsies will get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

The Dettol No Touch soap machines had been below €11.50 but have now shot up to over €16.50. Likewise the refills I think were about €3.53 but are now over €4.50- those are some pretty significant increases.

One could speculate that the machines are going to be on offer again but the refills are never on offer. I refuse to buy them as other liquid soaps are cheaper or the various brands are often on offer. I've been refilling the containers with whatever soap is on offer that week.

I can't see the point in these 'no-touch' soap dispensers. You want to wash Your hands because they are unclean, so I wonder just why someone would go and incur extra expense when whether they touch the dispenser or not, their hands are unclean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭trodsky

The one thing I have noticed is the increase in toiletries. Shampoo for example is 35kr in my local ICA

• Advertisement

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    I can't see the point in these 'no-touch' soap dispensers. You want to wash Your hands because they are unclean, so I wonder just why someone would go and incur extra expense when whether they touch the dispenser or not, their hands are unclean.

You're right in that they are pretty silly but the cucumber soap, found only for them, smells amazing. I stopped buying it however when I realized the soaps were never on special.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Outrageous price-drop. The 8 sachet Nescafe Mocha had crept up to €3.45, but seems to have dropped to €2.95.

SuperValu charges €3.74 which is outrageous.

I believe this is a special offer for a limited time

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭bureau2009

I'm just sick to the back teeth of Tesco. WE ARE BEING FLEECED! Prices are constantly rising and service, selection and even basic hygiene are deplorable.

Heard an item on the Business Programme on Today FM yesterday. Seems supermarket buyers go through every item every year to try to up margins and revenue.

Someone always has their hand in your pocket in this septic country.

Nanazolie wrote: »
    I believe this is a special offer for a limited time

If that's the case, they seem to have avoided using the usual yellow "special offer" cards on the shelves, and used the normal cards, in Abbeyfeale Tesco anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Ive noticed that Tesco own brand cooking oil used to be 1.35 had shot right up to 1.99 - aldi's own brand oil is still 1.35 ish

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If that's the case, they seem to have avoided using the usual yellow "special offer" cards on the shelves, and used the normal cards, in Abbeyfeale Tesco anyway.

Just checked online, it's definitively a special offer, ends 11/09
    SAVE 50c Was 3.45 Now 2.95
    valid from 20/8/2012 until 11/9/2012

Just checked online, it's definitively a special offer, ends 11/09
    SAVE 50c Was 3.45 Now 2.95
    valid from 20/8/2012 until 11/9/2012

The sneaky feckers :(

I find it quite amusing where as you're walking around the store they display how they are cheaper than Dunnes/Supervalue/Superquinn but they are never cheaper than ALDI. Their prices often match a similar item but never beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I find it quite amusing where as you're walking around the store they display how they are cheaper than Dunnes/Supervalue/Superquinn but they are never cheaper than ALDI. Their prices often match a similar item but never beat it.

Do you remember s few years ago Tesco were displaying the prices of Sainsburys next to some of their prices :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Anyone that buys no touch soap dispensers deserves to be fleeced

efb wrote: »
    Anyone that buys no touch soap dispensers deserves to be fleeced

The cucumber! Really it's amazing and the machines were bought when on special, so about €6..... well worth it for the cucumber soap! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

bureau2009 wrote: »
    I'm just sick to the back teeth of Tesco. WE ARE BEING FLEECED! Prices are constantly rising and service, selection and even basic hygiene are deplorable.

Heard an item on the Business Programme on Today FM yesterday. Seems supermarket buyers go through every item every year to try to up margins and revenue.

Someone always has their hand in your pocket in this septic country.

That's how business works, every supermarket, the world over. The whole "only in Ireland" is bloody nonsense whenever it comes up in these threads. What do you think supermarket buyers are employed to do ?

Do you have a job ? If so, I'm sure your employer expects you to do it at a level in which you are most profitable to the company.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    That's how business works, every supermarket, the world over. The whole "only in Ireland" is bloody nonsense whenever it comes up in these threads. What do you think supermarket buyers are employed to do ?

Do you have a job ? If so, I'm sure your employer expects you to do it at a level in which you are most profitable to the company.
    So, Tesco's offering is just fine, right?

I really hope Aldi & Lidl expand here and ASDA joins the Irish market - we need serious competition in this country. Additionally I think consumer groups and government should highlight the extraordinary price of groceries in this country.

This Regard - seems like you are a loyal employee of Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

This Regard - seems like you are a loyal employee of Tesco.

Ah, there you go, the usual tripe of saying someone is an employee of a company that's the subject of a thread when they don't jump on a posters pitch fork wielding band wagon.

FYI, Lidl and Aldi have expanded here. You don't seem to have much contact with what goes on in the real world, you think Asda would bring an improvement in a market that already has Dunnes, Tesco, Lidl, Aldi and the Musgrave group ?

And presumaby you aren't aware of complaints from interest groups, namely publicans and farming groups, over below cost selling and loss leaders of their products ?

Have you ever worked a in a business, of any sort ?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    FYI, Lidl and Aldi have expanded here. You don't seem to have much contact with what goes on in the real world, you think Asda would bring an improvement in a market that already has Dunnes, Tesco, Lidl, Aldi and the Musgrave group ?

And presumaby you aren't aware of complaints from interest groups, namely publicans and farming groups, over below cost selling and loss leaders of their products ?

Have you ever worked a in a business, of any sort ?
    Yes, I think ASDA would shake up the market considerably. I'm very well informed about the supermarket business and I more than welcome the continued expansion of competitors like Aldi and Lidl.

I've worked in business all my life and I am NOT impressed with the way Tesco do business here.

• Advertisement

Tesco Value cashew nuts: from 1.88€ to 1.98€
    Kinder 16 bars: from 1.99€ to 2.09€
    I've also noticed substential increases in the fruits and vegs section. I buy a lot of fruits and vegs, I have to go several times a week and would always favour my local greengrocer over Tesco. However, for salad and some more "exotic" fruits and vegs (melons, shalots, etc), Tesco is quite good. But prices are getting steep unless you buy on specials

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i won't call this a rip-off, but it boggles the mind. They have a shelf in tesco's (cant think of the name of it), its where fruit and veg stock thats got only a few days to go is lowered in price for a quick sale.

Each container of strawberries was marked down from €3 to €2.68, there was a sticker stating you could get 2 for €5. Didnt like the look of them so passed.

But over on the Fresh fruit aisle, they had the same containers marked as 2 for €5.

So nearly gone off and fresh were same price, hows that a deal.

From 3€ down to 2.68€ is not a bargain for fruits that have gone mushy, me think. The same applies to the Reduced to Clear section in the fridges, there used to be great bargains, now it's 'was 4.99€, now 4.69€", when BB date or even Use By date is today, I don't call this a good deal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Yes, I think ASDA would shake up the market considerably. I'm very well informed about the supermarket business and I more than welcome the continued expansion of competitors like Aldi and Lidl.

I've worked in business all my life and I am NOT impressed with the way Tesco do business here.

IF Asda ever expand into Ireland they will find that their cost base to trade is far higher than in the UK. (I'm not going to list out all the reasons, they've been trotted out here plenty of times before)

As a consequence of this, prices will be higher to achieve an acceptable profit margin. They're not going to come in and undercut every price in every supermarket, they will have their loss leaders and their profit makers, just like everybody else. It would be hugely naive to believe otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

thats exactly why asda won't move here, also with the pound getting stronger, for the first time in a long long while shoppers are now coming down south to do their shopping.

asda wouldn't be able to compete here thats why theyve not entered the market.

tescos arent the only retailer that charges more on some products.... they all do it, some charge more on one thing and less on another. they cant always directly compete on every product. Also they change their prices on a weekly if not daily basis making it much more difficult to know when someones dropped a price. the suppliers cant tell them whos selling what at what because its anti competitive so its all a big vicious circle

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

From 3€ down to 2.68€ is not a bargain for fruits that have gone mushy, me think. The same applies to the Reduced to Clear section in the fridges, there used to be great bargains, now it's 'was 4.99€, now 4.69€", when BB date or even Use By date is today, I don't call this a good deal
    In my place they keep on continually dropping the price all day, so at 6pm it might be only 10% off, at 10pm it can be 5 cent.

I presume they gather all the produce and have a scanner set to "10% off" or something, which generates new price tags. This would explain the weird 'non-rounded' pricing I often see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

One of the best Tesco ripoffs I've ever seen was this year for Kerrs Pink potatoes. These only come in in late August or early September and the crop was crappy this year so I was expecting them to be expensive.

5kg was €7.59 a few weeks ago. Thats robbery!

They are currently I think about €5.79. In Aldi the same size bag is €2.79. Probably from the same farm too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

snubbleste wrote: »
    This has been normally 75c for the past year and ~58p in UK. This week it shot up 100% to €1.50
    IDShot_225x225.jpg
    A month later, it's reverted to 75c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

I am just back from Tesco hypermarket up in Naas.

Something I noticed which will wreck Your brain if You ain't watching closely: Their 2 meals for €12. It is mixed up with other foodstuffs, and one can easily pick up the wrong thing. Also, the bottle of wine - man You need to be Sherlock Holmes to find the damn section that houses the bottle relating to the special. Great bargain though if one can pick the right stuff, but what an exercise!:rolleyes:

Oh, and Tesco, You MUST be desperate to resort to using Supervalue ( which I noticed on a good few occasions) as a barometer in price comparisons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    and one can easily pick up the wrong thing. Also, the bottle of wine - man You need to be Sherlock Holmes to find the damn section that houses the bottle relating to the special.

its hard to find, as many will do just that, that is pick the wrong item and be charged more.

Advertisement