Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco outrageous price hikes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    and one can easily pick up the wrong thing. Also, the bottle of wine - man You need to be Sherlock Holmes to find the damn section that houses the bottle relating to the special.

its hard to find, as many will do just that, that is pick the wrong item and Tesco will have more money in there pockets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

johndoe99 wrote: »
    its hard to find, as many will do just that, that is pick the wrong item and Tesco will have more money in there pockets.

Is that Tescos fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭zzap64

It can be a job to find the product that the offer relates to.

I often wonder if it's just incompetence or something more sinister .

I always check the bar code of the item with the number at the bottom of the offer sign / label and of course always check my receipt at the end since there's been more than one occasion when the "offer" isn't on their system.

This happens a lot at Supervalu as well :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

lala88 wrote: »
    Is that Tescos fault?

Perhaps not Lala, but when the trays of veggies are mixed with other trayed veggies ( NOT involved with the special offer), and a yellow sticker is placed in front of both, then I call that 'DEVIOUS PRACTICE'.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I agree that the fresh fruit and veg in Tesco is expensive.
    For example Dunnes have being selling a 500g container of seedless grapes which are available as mixed, green only and red only for €2 for a least the past month meanwhile the grapes in Tesco are €3.69.
    Grapes are always cheaper this time of the year.

You can get a bag of small oranges in dunnes for under €2 - I think they are apox €1.80 - the oranges in Tesco are Jaffa oranges and they are apox €2.35 but they are a nicer oranges than Aldi or Dunnes.

The way I shop for food, fruit and vegetable as that I look out for offers and stock up then. Meat can be frozen and tinned food will be fine for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I work in aldi and the tesco store is right next door and the amount of people every week we get in that haven't been in before with a trolley full of shopping that are in shock that ye can buy so much for so little.

Hope I don't get banned now for plugging!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

lala88 wrote: »
    Is that Tescos fault?

as i suspect Tesco do it on purpose.

If you have special offers, then keep them together. Its easier for the customer

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Just back from Tesco Naas and a tin of John West Tuna Steak (with a little brine) gone up from 1.55 to 1.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

To Alcohol wrote: »
    Just back from Tesco Naas and a tin of John West Tuna Steak (with a little brine) gone up from 1.55 to 1.99.

0.65 cents in Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

0.65 cents in Aldi

Tesco Everyday Value - tuna in brine - 62 cents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

StudentDad wrote: »
    Tesco Everyday Value - tuna in brine - 62 cents

Don't know the quality of Tesco's value tuna, but the Aldi tuna is almost the same as John West / Picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Don't know the quality of Tesco's value tuna, but the Aldi tuna is almost the same as John West / Picnic.

I had the pleasure of tasting the tesco everyday value one a couple of weeks ago.. it was AWFUL and to compare it to the Aldi version is wrong. Tesco do this all the time when in reality the Everyday value range is not a patch on the Aldi own brand range. They should compare the Tesco own label range ( which is around 20% more expensive on most items) to the Aldi own label range. That would be a fair comparision.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

johndoe99 wrote: »
    as i suspect Tesco do it on purpose.

If you have special offers, then keep them together. Its easier for the customer

Agree, I once bought some fish and meat in their 3 for 2 offer, the smoked cod and smoked haddock fillets were together, with the 3 for 2 yellow label underneath. But the cod wasn't in the offer, only the haddock. I was able to get it exchanged and the difference was refunded, but it took about 30 min to sort it out.

Aldi do a new line caught tuna (in oil or in brine) for about 1.15, and it is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Mamarazzi

Tesco, Galway Shopping Centre overcharging on clementines and refusing a refund :mad: They are in the 3 for €3 section however they stated that I most likely picked up 3 packs that should have been in another section (how unlucky must I have been to pick up 3 pack that should have been in another section). Upon my return home I see that they are clearly 3 for €3 so now I have to return to Tesco with said wrapping to prove my original point!! I am curious as to how many other customer have been fobbed off with the same reply. :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Absolutely nothing wrong with Tesco's Value Tuna. Just had some for my lunch :)

SD

was wandering in the Xmas aisle in Tesco (I know, it IS too early) in search of the Toblerone White which is my number one seasonal weakness. 6.49€! :eek: I don't remember ever paying that much for Toblerone White. Needless to say, I didn't buy it. It'll be on offer sometimes nearer to Christmas, I can wait another 2 months (but then I'll buy ALL of them, gnak gnak :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

Whatever about putting the prices up - it seems as though they've kept the Tesco soya milk at €1.35 and watered it down...

It was one of the few items left that I bought there. The Aldi soya milk is nice, and cheaper too, at 85c

The Aldi char-grilled veg pizza is lovely and 50c less than Tesco's.

I prefer the Tesco version of Sprite, which they call Lemon & Lime, for 79c per 2L bottle. But, Aldi do one for the same price which is so similar in taste that I can't be bothered to make the extra trip.

Looks like my Tesco days are over...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Chicken Olives (about half of which is stuffing) up from E1.14 to E1.65,sneakily done in 2 stages,initially 1.11 to 1.25 then 2/3 weeks later E1.65. I felt robbed and as I don't eat red meat my dietary options are more limited than a lot of people. I'll be looking at other options though.

Sadly Tesco is so big that they don't care about customer grievance and most of the competition has closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Freiheit wrote: »
    ,sneakily done in 2 stages,initially 1.11 to 1.25 then 2/3 weeks later E1.65.
    They can't win really. If they went to 1.11 to 1.65 people would be moaning about doing a price increase "overnight". Loads moan about this and apparently would like to see it done in stages.

Some almost seem to expect big signs up saying "price increase", while if they owned their own shop they would probably not want to highlight it.

The cheapest (dodgy) chicken fillets I have seen lately were in aldi. Frozen "marinated" ones €1.50 for 320g, I think they are about 90% chicken breast. Butchers are usually cheaper than tesco too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

The point is,where did the 51 cent extra go?

Butchers make me nauseous and am trying to gradualy go vegetarian.

• Advertisement

Buy Quorn. It tastes like chicken and is often on offer. And you don't have to worry about the chicken's welfare or that it comes from Thailand or some other remote place

I understand there are some very valid reasons behind price increases: fuel, commodity prices rising, etc... However, I can't understand why some shops seem to increase their prices faster and more than others. Tesco tend to lead the race there, and for all I know, their employees are not paid any better than anywhere else. Nor are their rents or taxes more expensive than others.
    To be fair to Tesco, if you choose wisely and can afford to do 2 shops (one in Aldi or Lidl, the other in Tesco) rather than one, you'll find that they can offer good value on some items. I go to Aldi for a big shop, then shop in my local greengrocer or Dunnes for fruits and vegs (Dunnes have a good organic range and they sell Irish apples, unlike Tesco). I then shop in Tesco for items that I can't find elsewhere or for some items that I know are cheaper (they have a very good range of own-brand dark chocolate, at very good value). But I live within walking / cycling distance of most of these shops and I shop as part of my lunch time 'get out of here' break. It's not always that easy for everybody, and people who depend on Tesco for their big shop are getting hit hard in the pocket

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tesco value soap pads were ~80c, now €1.09
    Same product in UK is 44p

Tesco 3 small hummus pots, 1.75€ from 1.65€. The other varieties don't seem to have gone up

Tesco Finest crackers selection: 3.89€, then 3.99€. This morning 4.19€

Fox's double chocolate rockas bars: 1.99€ now 2.15€

Looks like a lot of flour-based products are goind up, could be due to the prices of cereals and grains

Cadburys 100g bars were €1.57 now €1.67
    Kelloggs Cornflakes 750g was €3.45, €3.59, €3.79 now €3.99

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Tesco Finest crackers selection: 3.89€, then 3.99€. This morning 4.19€

Fox's double chocolate rockas bars: 1.99€ now 2.15€

Looks like a lot of flour-based products are goind up, could be due to the prices of cereals and grains

Confirmed. I was in Tesco buying breakfast and all breads have gone up

Tesco Value UHT milk 1l was 75c now 79c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

why is this thread "Tesco Price hikes"

Should it not be "Grocery Price Hikes" cos the prices of things have gone up in Dunnes, Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, Supervalue, Centre, Sainsbury, Morrisons, Asda etc etc etc.

Some prices have come down, sugar is down, jams are down, coffee is down, sweets are down.

Grain prices have soared worldwide as has animal feed, so anything using grains, corn, animal feed will be going up,here, UK, USA and everywhere else in the world. Not just in your local tesco.

sandin wrote: »
    why is this thread "Tesco Price hikes"

Should it not be "Grocery Price Hikes" cos the prices of things have gone up in Dunnes, Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, Supervalue, Centre, Sainsbury, Morrisons, Asda etc etc etc.

Some prices have come down, sugar is down, jams are down, coffee is down, sweets are down.

Grain prices have soared worldwide as has animal feed, so anything using grains, corn, animal feed will be going up,here, UK, USA and everywhere else in the world. Not just in your local tesco.

I don't know about Supervalu, but I shop in Dunnes, Tesco, Superquinn, Aldi and Lidl, and haven't noticed these increases (yet) on grain-based products anywhere else than Tesco. Dunnes still sells croissants and rolls at the same price. So does Superquinn. It will certainly happen, but it hasn't yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Tesco 2kg carrots €1:69 now €2;29
    1kg carrots 99c now €1:29
    Tesco rice snaps(crispies) €1:99 now €2:19

Advertisement