Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco outrageous price hikes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

snubbleste wrote: »
    Kelloggs Cornflakes 750g was €3.45, €3.59, €3.79 now €3.99

That's why I changed to the Lidl Cornflakes at €1.68 for a 1Kg box.

There's not much of a difference in taste.

And, if you have fussy eaters in the house, slip the Lidl packet into the old Kellogs box and see if they notice ;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

Budweiser 20 Pack Bottle 20 X 300Ml
    Alcohol can only be delivered between 10.30-22.00 Monday to Saturday.
    Alcohol can only be delivered between 12.30-17.00 on Sunday.
    Special Offer 20.00 Each
    valid from 3/10/2012 until 30/10/2012

According to Diageo €20 is the RRP of this product and it often goes on sale for €15. Musgraves stores Centra and Supervalu (how they spell it not a typo) which are owned by franchisees and normally slightly more expensive but at times cheaper, charge this price as standard. Dunnes are doing the same calling it a special offer. How is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

I was up in Tesco's Naas today, and want to highlight 2 BARGAINS I came across: 5 doughnuts for 23C & Their crusty bloomer for 20cents - see, it's not all one way traffic!

Not affiliated to Tesco's in anyway, just think they deserve a bit of praise for their bargains!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Just checked online, it's definitively a special offer, ends 11/09
    SAVE 50c Was 3.45 Now 2.95
    valid from 20/8/2012 until 11/9/2012

They've shoved up the price to €3.65 now (Dunnes will no doubt match this), and I expect that SuperValu will now be thinking of increasing their price of €3.74 because they like keeping well ahead of Tesco and Dunnes.

They can all feck off now that it only costs slightly over €2 courtesy of Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

chris2008x wrote: »
    According to Diageo €20 is the RRP of this product
    Any links to where diageo state this fact?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I used to love Branston branded baked beans, sold in Tesco. Now, no longer stocked.. and the price of Heinz products is constantly creeping up, little change from €4 for a four pack of baked beans.

rubadub wrote: »
    Any links to where diageo state this fact?

Called them few weeks ago when i noticed the price was stable for a while at €18 the girl on the phone told me that (20) this was probably the maximum price they would expect it to retail at. I drink a whole lot of Budweiser actually works wonders for vertigo. Shopping around atm Centra/supervalu are selling it for €15. Cheek of Tesco and Dunnes to call it special offer selling it at a price the manufacturer would expect it to ceiling at.

Amalgam wrote: »
    I used to love Branston branded baked beans, sold in Tesco. Now, no longer stocked.. and the price of Heinz products is constantly creeping up, little change from €4 for a four pack of baked beans.

Euro50 stores and Euro2 stores sell these beans. Tesco Thurles had them in stock the other day I think. Will check again. If they do then maybe talk to the manager of your local store.

chris2008x wrote: »
    that (20) this was probably the maximum price they would expect it to retail at....

Cheek of Tesco and Dunnes to call it special offer selling it at a price the manufacturer would expect it to ceiling at.
    Its unusual to see big breweries to declare RRPs on beer, especially with bad press about low cost beers, they can offload the apparent "blame" onto retailers, they can also usually want to mask the secretive price differences between supermarkets & pubs. Publicans always moan about below cost selling, in the UK it was proven beer is rarely sold below cost, and over here I have never recently seen any proof from publicans that beer is sold below cost to the extent they make out (including publicans who are members here that I challenged). Publicans will often pay far higher to the breweries/distributors than what it costs in tesco, so they WRONGLY cry "below cost", when they have zero proof.

I would have considered this €1 bud an offer. 6x330ml bud is €9.69 in tesco, which is €1.47 per 300ml.

When you see the big supermarkets with good beer offers I believe it is usually not themselves taking the hit, but the brewer. So diageo might sell to tesco at a reduced price on the condition/expectation that they will sell it at say €20 max, so I think tesco could rightfully call this a special offer. Of course they can legally call it a special offer if selling for €100 a crate, but I would not see what they are doing as sneakly, they are passing on the special offer diageo themselves passed on. Like when manufacturers give 50% free and it is passed on by supermarkets, it is not like tesco take the loss.

You can see on musgraves site they have an offer on 2L of coke, it is 8 for €11, and they have an RRP of €2. They had a offer on 500ml recently too, and in another thread I said the RRP was €1, another poster rightly pointed out to me that this RRP is lower than usual as it was being sold cheaper to the retailer. So this is basically coke saying "we are giving this to you cheap in the hope you will pass on the saving to customers and so you sell more and we get more sales". So the retailer can legitimately say its an offer while being at the upper end of the RRP.

Bulmers did something like this recently, declaring they reduced the price of kegs and so you should expect to see a lowering in your local bar. There is nothing legal here, but they are pointing out your bar is capable of reducing the price while maintaining the same profit.

The people who have a real cheek are Diageo themselves, for many years when there were beer price increases a guinness spokesman was often on the news and would actually declare the RRP of a pint, this is one of the only times I have ever seen it. The cheek was that the bars in the guinness storehouse charged more than their own quoted RRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Tesco 2kg carrots €1:69 now €2;29
    1kg carrots 99c now €1:29
    Tesco rice snaps(crispies) €1:99 now €2:19

Now gone up again to €2.49:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Slightly off topic...............

Just back from Tesco's in Naas. No real qualms about prices. But something really puzzles me:

Mayonnaise: Jar of it ( when comparing cost/kg) is given as €x/kg, but the squeeze bottle that can stand upside down is priced per LITRE.

I'm no rocket scientist, but wonder which is greater? If the jar is priced at €5.55/kg, but the squeeze bottle is priced at €5.55/litre, which is greater? Which gives me more?

Can anyone enlighten me please?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Slightly off topic...............

Just back from Tesco's in Naas. No real qualms about prices. But something really puzzles me:

Mayonnaise: Jar of it ( when comparing cost/kg) is given as €x/kg, but the squeeze bottle that can stand upside down is priced per LITRE.

I'm no rocket scientist, but wonder which is greater? If the jar is priced at €5.55/kg, but the squeeze bottle is priced at €5.55/litre, which is greater? Which gives me more?

Can anyone enlighten me please?
    I would assume that the litre bottle is better value using the logic that a litre of water weighs a kilo and with mayo been thicker than water a litre of mayo should be >a kg

So, we saying that a kilogram of mayonnaise is the same as a litre of mayonaisse?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

So, we saying that a kilogram of mayonnaise is the same as a litre of mayonaisse?
    No a litre is more then a kilo

swampy353 wrote: »

Thanks Swampy, then this form of advertising is a rip-off as it's made to deceive the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Was looking for Tesco tin foil in Artane Tesco. 30 metres for €4.75. Feck that, so I went to Aldi and 30 metres was €2.75!!!

Either Tesco, with it's greater marketshare of 29%, is crap at buying tin foil compared to Aldi's 5.5%, or Tesco are robbing people blind!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tesco Value 30m foil is €1.09 :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

bnm peat briquettes

last winter sold at €3.99 per bale

noticed them today at €4.49

the price was increased by bnm 10 cent a bale late august

seems they added 40cent per bale for themselves:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

vickers209 wrote: »
    bnm peat briquettes

last winter sold at €3.99 per bale

noticed them today at €4.49

the price was increased by bnm 10 cent a bale late august

seems they added 40cent per bale for themselves:rolleyes:

This may explain the increase:
    http://wood-pellet-ireland.blogspot.ie/2011_11_01_archive.html

2012 carbon levy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Thanks Swampy, then this form of advertising is a rip-off as it's made to deceive the general public.

it's made to deceive dumb people

I don't see how its a ripoff. Your issue should be with the mayo makers, or possibly the regulatory body which allows this. It is common for ice cream to be listed as a mixture of ml and g too.

Looking on tesco its a fairly even split on mayo being ml or grams, done by manufacturers, and tesco display whatever the manufacturers use.

All the hellmanns upside down bottles are ml, the jars are grams.
    mayo been thicker than water a litre of mayo should be >a kg
    Mayo is mainly made of veg oil, water & eggs. The oil is less dense than water.

From tesco 15ml is 100kcal, 100g is 722kcal -both hellmanns real mayo.

So 1L is 6667kcal, and 1kg is 7220kcal. So a litre of mayo is 923g

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Still buy a squeezy bottle, because the amount you waste in the jar at the end is far and above the cost difference if the bottle is more expensive! Also jars go mouldy faster because people always stick dirty knives in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Still buy a squeezy bottle, because the amount you waste in the jar at the end is far and above the cost difference if the bottle is more expensive! Also jars go mouldy faster because people always stick dirty knives in.
    There is more wasted at the necks of those squeezy bottles which cant be removed, at least with the jar you can get a silicone spatula into it and clean it out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

foggy_lad wrote: »
    There is more wasted at the necks of those squeezy bottles which cant be removed, at least with the jar you can get a silicone spatula into it and clean it out!

Do you do anything other then cheap out on everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Tesco 3 small hummus pots, 1.75€ from 1.65€. The other varieties don't seem to have gone up

And up to 1.95€ today. The other varieties are also up :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

croissant from 50 cents to 60 cents

Croissants are now 79 cents. Still the same price in Dunnes, Lidl and Supevalu. Apparently the increase in grain prices has only affected Tesco

Call me cynical, but I have the feeling we will see a 'massive price cut' campain soon, with price 'reductions' being announced in a fanfare, when they will only return to their previous levels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Call me cynical, but I have the feeling we will see a 'massive price cut' campain soon, with price 'reductions' being announced in a fanfare, when they will only return to their previous levels

they usually do that in late January or early February when people are "spent out" fron Xmas and the January sales.

Call me cynical, but I have the feeling we will see a 'massive price cut' campain soon
    I wouldn't call you cynical, I would say you just have an understanding of a very basic marketing technique used by a huge amount of retailers -it is certainly not particular to tesco, and is certainly nothing new.

I have said in other threads that I have seen 7 year old girls with "shops" in their front garden who seem to have a better understanding of marketing and economics than some whingers who post in this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Croissants are now 79 cents. Still the same price in Dunnes, Lidl and Supevalu. Apparently the increase in grain prices has only affected Tesco

... I get 4 croissants for €2 in Tesco, and they're the huge all-butter ones as well. Can't be beaten at that price, for size and quality.

This is them: http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=263013064

Advertisement