Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco outrageous price hikes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Oracle wrote: »
    ... I get 4 croissants for €2 in Tesco, and they're the huge all-butter ones as well. Can't be beaten at that price, for size and quality.

This is them: http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=263013064[/QUOTE]

I usually prefer the individual ones, they tend to be fresher. Plus I wouldn't be able to eat them all!
    But at this pace, it will soon be cheaper to buy 4 than just the one: they were 85 cents this morning, it's 3 increases in just a few weeks :mad:

All breads were up (as well as sugar, chocolate, biscuits, tea...), but I was in Aldi yesterday and the breads were still the same price (and so was the rest). I will start making my own bread again, I buy flour by the 5 kilos bag and so far the price is still the same

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Nanazolie wrote: »
    I usually prefer the individual ones, they tend to be fresher. Plus I wouldn't be able to eat them all!
    But at this pace, it will soon be cheaper to buy 4 than just the one: they were 85 cents this morning, it's 3 increases in just a few weeks :mad:

The individual ones aren't fresher, they're all baked at the same time, at the in-store bakery. Plus you don't need to eat them all at once, they freeze perfectly in the pack. This "4 croissants for €2" offer has been running for about 12 months now, so no price increases for me. Although if Tesco stop this offer I'll be getting them at Lidl for 49c each instead.

Oracle wrote: »
    The individual ones aren't fresher, they're all baked at the same time, at the in-store bakery. Plus you don't need to eat them all at once, they freeze perfectly in the pack. This "4 croissants for €2" offer has been running for about 12 months now, so no price increases for me. Although if Tesco stop this offer I'll be getting them at Lidl for 49c each instead.

The plastic box makes them go stale quicker. I also think frozen and reheated croissants are not as nice (sorry, I'm French, so VERY peculiar about my food :P). The Lidl ones are a bit greasier but nice enough if you can get them fresh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Was in tesco today and saw that they had a sign up for half priced chicken fillets. I go over to have a look and see that the new 'bargain' price is €5.35 for 500g, ie €10.70 per kilo..... And this was HALF price :eek: It'd want to be fairly magical chicken to be paying €21.40 for a kilo of it full price..... Specially since I can get a 2.5kilo chicken for €3 in lidl :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Was in tesco today and saw that they had a sign up for half priced chicken fillets. I go over to have a look and see that the new 'bargain' price is €5.35 for 500g, ie €10.70 per kilo..... And this was HALF price :eek: It'd want to be fairly magical chicken to be paying €21.40 for a kilo of it full price..... Specially since I can get a 2.5kilo chicken for €3 in lidl :pac:

Saw this the other evening and gave a little chuckle to myself. Are they really fooling anyone with this "offer"? How rich would you need to be to believe that 3 chicken fillets should "normally" cost €10.70???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The plastic box makes them go stale quicker.
    Why would this be? I would have thought the opposite, I hate seeing them in open air.

I also do not like instore baked bread being in those bakes with tiny holes. I always take a butchers bag for instore bread like this. I think they put the bread in those bags as they go in warm and it stops condensation.

Just saw this on wiki BTW

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staling#Destaling
    Destaling

Stale bread can be partially destaled by heating to 60 °C (140 °F) in a conventional oven or microwave oven. This re-gelatinizes the starch granules.[citation needed] However if not eaten before it cools or dries, the bread is even worse than before due to the moisture loss.
    I always knew microwaving donuts 'refreshes' them never knew the alleged mechansm.

rubadub wrote: »
    Why would this be? I would have thought the opposite, I hate seeing them in open air.

I also do not like instore baked bread being in those bakes with tiny holes. I always take a butchers bag for instore bread like this. I think they put the bread in those bags as they go in warm and it stops condensation.

Just saw this on wiki BTW

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staling#Destaling

I always knew microwaving donuts 'refreshes' them never knew the alleged mechansm.

if you put fresh bread or pastry in a plastic bag, above all when still hot, it will make the bread elastic and chewy. Croissants, like white crusty bread, should be eaten within an hour of baking, ideally while still warm from the oven. But the plastic box (or bag) will reduce that time further. That's why you should conserve bread in a linen bag rather than a plastic one
    To 'freshen up' stale bread, lightly wet it before you put it in the oven (I wouldn't use the microwave).

Can you get a 2.5kg chicken for €3 in Lidl? Usually 2kg is about €5 in Aldi and Lidl I thought? Maybe if it's on special offer you can ....

I don't think I'd go for a 3 euros 2kg bird. Aldi has free range chickens for around 6 euros, it's great value. Meanwhile, Tesco's free range chickens are now 9.19€ they used to be around 7€

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

I don't think I'd go for a 3 euros 2kg bird. Aldi has free range chickens for around 6 euros, it's great value. Meanwhile, Tesco's free range chickens are now 9.19€ they used to be around 7€
    That's a big jump in the price of chickens in a short space, wonder why.

• Advertisement

That's a big jump in the price of chickens in a short space, wonder why.

.... because those buying them free range are subsidising the tightwads like me who buy the regular ones on special offer! :D Delicious :pac: : http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268652094

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

No matter what way you look at it, buying BITS of chicken (breasts, legs etc) is always going to be more expensive than buying the whole chicken. Far better to get the whole thing and make several meals out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Aldi €6 for 1500g
    Dunnes €6 for 1300g, was the same as Aldi till a couple of weeks ago.

Will check Lidl next day I'm in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

if you put fresh bread or pastry in a plastic bag, above all when still hot, it will make the bread elastic and chewy. Croissants, like white crusty bread, should be eaten within an hour of baking, ideally while still warm from the oven. But the plastic box (or bag) will reduce that time further. That's why you should conserve bread in a linen bag rather than a plastic one
    To 'freshen up' stale bread, lightly wet it before you put it in the oven (I wouldn't use the microwave).

I love my morning rolls to be chewy! If bread in my house is going a little stale, and I cant be bothered driving away to the shops, or its not possible to get more, then its a great excuse to make French toast! Or eggy bread as some people call it.

No matter what way you look at it, buying BITS of chicken (breasts, legs etc) is always going to be more expensive than buying the whole chicken. Far better to get the whole thing and make several meals out of it.

This is true, but how many of us do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Me anyway, everytime!

Roast chicken on a Sunday (say), eat a leg and a wing.
    Monday lunchtime = Chicken sandwiches.
    Monday evening = Chicken cold with fried potatoes, eat a leg and a wing.
    Tuesday lunchtime = Chicken sandwiches.
    Tuesday evening = Breast with chips maybe
    Wednesday lunchtime = Chicken sandwiches
    Wednesday evening = Maybe chicken in rice if there is any left.

Its great.

No matter what way you look at it, buying BITS of chicken (breasts, legs etc) is always going to be more expensive than buying the whole chicken.
    This not always the case, esp. with butchers where I find it less common to see cheap whole chickens but cheap fillets.

Being a skinflint & inquisitive nerdy type I worked it out.
    My butchers does 10 fillets for €10, this also works out about €7.40 per kilo as the fillets are 130-140g average stated on the pack, and I weighed and confirmed they were. I must ask them if they do thighs, never noticed any listed in offers anyway.
    Chicken was 2256g listed on the pack €6.75. I put the whole thing into a wok and filled about 1/3 with water, then brought to the boil, it was breast down. ........

I got 940g of lean meat from it in total. So around €7 per kilo.
    Now this was cooked, so you would have to cook thighs or breasts the same way and calculate moisture loss. But there is also the price of convenience, I don't like boning & skinning chicken, and getting rid of the waste. A tip is to put waste into bags and freeze it, then put it out on the bin day, rather than having it stewing in bins for weeks. There are only 2 in my house so our bin only goes out a few times a year.

That 2kg+ chicken was in dunnes, I expect the "% yield" from smaller ones to be less. If you value your free time at the same rate as say minimum wage, then the extra cost of processing it might be uneconomical.

Just looking at the panda bin charges in my area. The per kilo charge is 0.277 or 0.166 in the brown bin. My housemate throws out about half or 1/4 a sliced pan per week, so would be cheaper getting half pans.

I'm your typical butterfly customer who is not loyal to brand or shop. I usually shop in Lidl, Aldi, Dunnes, Tesco with the occasional online order in Superquinn using the 20€ off codes.

I was in Lidl yesterday to do a weekly shop, then headed to Tesco for the bits and pieces I can't find in Lidl or Aldi. I left with only a box of paracetamol tablets, everything had gone up by so much that I refused to buy. Not only a few cents which would be accountable to inflation. 30, 40, 50 cents. My 10 items or so would have cost me an extra 2 euros at least. I left and went to Dunnes instead, where all items were still at the same price.

I remember one of the things was a pack of Kinder bars, which Lidl usually sells but was out of stock there. At 1.99€ before, it had gone up to 2.49€! In Dunnes, it was still 1.99€. I checked online and Superquinn sell it for 2.09€

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

Called into Tesco for a char grilled veg pizza, which was €1.59 last time I was there (about 2 months ago).

Saw it had gone up to €3.20!

Went to ALDI instead and bought some for €1.49 each

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Haven't stepped into tesco's in over 2months and I used to go in there every day sometime twice a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

It just isn't worth it anymore.

The quality and variety of stock has declined, and the prices have increased.

Essentially, the triple whammy of poor sales technique.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Saw some Bird's Eye Chicken Pies in Tralee Tesco yesterday. They were reduced by 1.09 from 4.09 to 1.02, according to the shelf price :pac: so I chanced it and bought two packs for 2.04. Someone was obviously worse at maths than I ever was.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

Went to Tesco's for the first time in about 3 months, and couldn't get over how expensive it has become. Also, I noticed the signs they have saying they are price matching supermarkets, however I noticed that the signs have gone from being Lidl/Aldi and now show Superquinn! Says it all really!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Tesco Cocktail sausages - were E1.42 per 32 2 weeks ago now E1.85?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Gunslinger99

Tesco Cocktail sausages - were E1.42 per 32 2 weeks ago now E1.85?
    Come on ! You're getting over 30 sausages for under 2 quid , is that really an outrageous price hike ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Tesco Ireland pays €150,000 to Aldi for making false price comparisons.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/tesco-ireland-agrees-payout-of-150000-damages-to-rival-aldi-3318893.html
    TESCO Ireland has agreed to pay its rival Aldi €150,000 in damages for inaccurately comparing prices.

The supermarket giant has also given an undertaking not to mislead customers when listing the price difference of its stock against products from the discount retailer.

Aldi has said it will give the payout to the St Vincent de Paul voluntary organisation.

Niall O'Connor, of Aldi Stores (Ireland), said: "The effect of today's undertakings is that consumers can expect and demand clear, transparent and accurate information on comparative advertising to enable them to make properly informed decisions about what they buy and who they buy from."

The settlement was agreed before Mr Justice Peter Kelly in the Commercial Division of the High Court, just days ahead of a hearing.

I noticed this in tesco just last night, they had chicken which was not particulary cheap and said it was cheaper than Aldi. In the extremely small print under it they were comparing the price per kilo with a smaller aldi pack of chicken. Now tesco had loads of other smaller pack sizes themselves.

I think it would be fair to compare your small pack to a supermarkets larger one. I didn't think of checking but tescos next size below the aldi one was probably dearer per kilo.

I am always wary of any supermarkets comparing prices, it is easy for them to pick something another supermarket is currently charging loads for, who plan to reduce it later -which is pretty much standard practise these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

rubadub wrote: »
    I noticed this in tesco just last night, they had chicken which was not particulary cheap and said it was cheaper than Aldi. In the extremely small print under it they were comparing the price per kilo with a smaller aldi pack of chicken. Now tesco had loads of other smaller pack sizes themselves.

I think it would be fair to compare your small pack to a supermarkets larger one. I didn't think of checking but tescos next size below the aldi one was probably dearer per kilo.

I am always wary of any supermarkets comparing prices, it is easy for them to pick something another supermarket is currently charging loads for, who plan to reduce it later -which is pretty much standard practise these days.

Tesco paid aldi 150k today for misleading comparisons:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Fungus wrote: »

One thing I noticed was flavoured sparkling water. I always buy the Aldi 2 litre apple & raspberry sparkling water, 79c. It's actually far nicer than the Tesco one which has a far sweeter taste. They were out of it one day in Aldi so I picked up one in Tesco, noticing that they had the price comparison to the Aldi equivalent - cheaper at 69c. It was only when I got home and compared the bottle to the remains of the Aldi one at home I realised that the Tesco version was half the size at 1 litre! Good thing I prefer the Aldi version!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

It was only when I got home and compared the bottle to the remains of the Aldi one at home I realised that the Tesco version was half the size at 1 litre! Good thing I prefer the Aldi version!

What Tesco have been doing is
    (1) Comparing their products to competitor products of different sizes as per your example.
    (2) Comparing their products to competitor products of different quality. e.g. Dog food example in the Indo article.
    (3) Engaging in highly selective price comparisons. e.g. I recently compared the price of a lot of their toothpaste to other retailers. Boots was cheaper on a lot of products, still Tesco found one product that they were cheaper with and compared that ignoring the fact that overall they were more expensive.

Sick. Grossly misleading.

Advertisement