Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locksmiths to change locks

Options
  • 28-03-2012 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I just bought a new house and will hopefully get the keys this week.

Just was looking online, but I am not sure what the average cost is for a locksmith? I have no idea and don't want to end up getting overcharged!! Would be just to change the lock on the front door.

Also if there are any people could recommend that would be great !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

We've always used Dynolocks - a relative to drain company Dynorod. Can't remember the exact price but have found the guys to be really helpful and not as expensive as we'd expected.

Absolutely no connection other than as a happy customer!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Another vote for Dynolocks. Looked to get a Chubb mortice lock installed on my front apartment door, rang about a dozen locksmiths and Dynolocks not only were the cheapest but able to call out within the hour with exact lock I wanted. Neat job done, cleaned up after themselves. Very happy and would use again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Just was looking online, but I am not sure what the average cost is for a locksmith? I have no idea and don't want to end up getting overcharged!! Would be just to change the lock on the front door.

You won't get any change from €110, it will be more depending on the barrel that is fitted.

The other alternative is to measure it up and change it yourself and pick up a barrell (approx €12 form B&Q for a poor quality one or €30 from a lock smit for an anti pick one). They are very easy to change over, just check google/youtube, but most people seem to prefer to be hands off with things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭touts

Changing a lock is SERIOUSLY easy. Generally its just a remove a few screws, slide out the old mechanism insert the new mechanism replace the screws. Unless you have a seriously modern system I'd bet if you posted a few pictures of the locks here you would get advice on how to change them in a few minutes AND save yourself a couple of hundred for some guy from a locksmith to do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Easier still if you have someone to mind the house. Remove the lock and bring it to a locksmiths and get one the exact same size. Bring it home and install it in the same place the old one was in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

My mate got a locksmith to do this paid him 95 euro< Cute fella watched what he did, Took him less than 5 minutes. He has done it since himself, its so easy its a joke. Reminds me need to do it tonight. Get an anti-bump one if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

WHERE can i get an antibump barrell type,hi security lock, around the city centre.?this is for a standard wooden door.,

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zulfikarMD

riclad wrote: »
    WHERE can i get an antibump barrell type,hi security lock, around the city centre.?this is for a standard wooden door.,
    Have you tried amien street locksmiths? just around connolly station.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

ok ,thanks ,ill go there, I just need a new lock, i can fit it myself, may as well get a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

Hi All,

my front door does not seem to be locking correctly(it will lock) but key is extremely akward to get out. I reckon its the cylinder because its been playing up for a while

I researched it online and am wondering how do i get the cylinder out of my door?

do i need to take the handles off??

please help!!!

see images of door below

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭flintash

ccull123 wrote: »
    Hi All,

my front door does not seem to be locking correctly(it will lock) but key is extremely akward to get out. I reckon its the cylinder because its been playing up for a while

I researched it online and am wondering how do i get the cylinder out of my door?

do i need to take the handles off??

please help!!!

see images of door below

tHE last picture. I bet- second philips crew from the bottom (When you look at the doors yourself- not horizontally ). And just pull the cylinder. If it moves , but cannot fully extract, turn the nob, till you get it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Thanks here folks. This thread baled me out this Sunday evening and a fellah from Dynolocks was out within an hour.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement