Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caravan Curiosity

Options
  • 28-03-2012 1:40pm

OK, curiosity finally got the better of me and, after months (probably years!) of driving by the once yellow and now matt black caravan next to McCabes Toyota garage on the Duleek Road, just outside Drogheda, I am finally prompted to ask, "What's the story?" It certainly seems to be habited, but by whom and to what end??

Just being curious/nosey :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mjmorr

Been wondering myself. Probably a copper fairy!!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

That is the home of an old couple (travellers). They are there now a few years.
    I remenber reading something about them in the Drogheda leader about having to get the bus to Navan to use the swimming pool showers after the one in Drogheda got revamped.
    I feel sorry for them myself, old couple with not much really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I presume they are there by choice? I would have thought a couple in their situation would jump near the top of any housing list?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Well if it is a caravan, there is a designated site off the inner relief in Dundalk where there is free access to electricity, other services are provided eg 'waste disposal' and a liason person to help out with general necessities/entitlements that may be needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

I heard they were an old couple that were CPO'd by the council and the pittance they got couldn't buy them a new house...

Either way, anyone notice the caravan now seems to be abandoned/burned out? The door has been left swinging open with soot stains all over it, though the outside of the caravan seems to be intact.

At the risk of beig branded a rubbernecker, does anyone know what happened and if the couple are ok? Nothing about it in the Leader the last couple of weeks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Haven't seen yer man's car parked there in a long long time. It was painted a good while ago and all the windows were painted too so I'd say it's been empty a good while. Surprised it's survived this long to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

I just noticed the caravan is now completely burned out. Hope the couple that lived there are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

Really hope nothing happened them. Have often talked to the man when I'd be up that way walking my dog. Lovely man. Always keeps himself to himself, keeps the area clean and has his own little garden and small vegetable patch beside the caravan. Doing nobody any harm were it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

Saw it this morning myself completely gutted, sad to see. If anyone hears anything about them, please post.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

do no harm to place a call with the local gardai or community services as id say both would have been aware of the inhabitants and they can possibly enlighten a worried member of the public as to what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Morphéus wrote: »
    do no harm to place a call with the local gardai or community services as id say both would have been aware of the inhabitants and they can possibly enlighten a worried member of the public as to what happened.

Do you really think that the Guards have nothing better to do than tell nosy members of the public what became of two other members of the public that the first member of the public doesn't know?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Seen it burned out last Monday
    They seemed to keep the place fairly tidy
    It was a bit of a landmark
    But he would paint it different colors every few weeks which was kinda quirky .
    Hope they are ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

yeah i seen it was burned out yesterday as i passed by.
    harmless poor couple hope there ok and they have somewhere to go.
    jesus what's the world coming to.sad times indeed .

Advertisement