Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TEFL/TESOL South Korea

• 28-03-2012 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭

I recently posted this on the jobs forum here on boards.ie but got no response, I thought I would post here in the hope of getting better feedback. I apologize in advance for the duplicate post etc.

I recently completed an online TEFL and have applied for a Teaching English position in South Korea.

I have quite a few questions I need answers/suggestions/advice upon.

First I want to point out that i am male, single, with no mortgage or family commitments, but am nearly aged 31... am I too old to do something like this? Most people i know that are travelling are in their early 20s.

I have the online 120 advanced TEFL course done, along with a Business Degree (ordinary) from college, what kinda salary scale can I expect to be on??

Is my Visa sorted from their end or do i have to look after that at my end? What is the cost of visa, and how long is the application process?

Are there medical procedures to follow before travelling to South Korea? Vaccines or injections I need to get etc?

I understand that flights and accommodation will be paid for by the agency or educational body that employs me, however, is there a particular sum of money I require in my bank account etc, before entering the country as an emigrant?

Is it best to teach in a private or public school? Should I be trying for a Metropolitan or Provincial school?

What age group would I be teaching or would that depend solely on the school that employs me?

A lot of questions i know, but any feedback that can be given would be gratefully appreciated.

I have been accepted for the 1st round of the application process at this stage, and the recruitment agency looking after my application wish to have a Skype interview with me tomorrow or Friday to discuss my application further.

Is this gonna be a simple chat on skype tomorrow or is it an actual formal interview? What kinda questions can I be expected to be asked?

Many thanks,
    Memphis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

First I want to point out that i am male, single, with no mortgage or family commitments, but am nearly aged 31... am I too old to do something like this? Most people i know that are travelling are in their early 20s.

Not at all. I know plenty of people teaching over here in their 30's.
    I have the online 120 advanced TEFL course done, along with a Business Degree (ordinary) from college, what kinda salary scale can I expect to be on??

In public schools you will be on the second lowest salary. Probably in the region of 2.0-2.1 million won (approx. 1200-1400 euro) per month. In a Hagwon (private school) you may make anywhere between 2.0 and 2.4.
    Is my Visa sorted from their end or do i have to look after that at my end?

Process;
    Begin to gather your documents.
    Apply to jobs via a recruiter/many recruiters (or directly to the schools - not as common).
    Do interviews and get offered a position.
    Send your documents to Korea.
    Receive a visa issuance number and contract, and go to the South Korean Embassy in Dublin with your passport, issuance number and other bits of paperwork.
    Go back to the embassy a few days later to collect your passport with Visa.
    Contact your school and arrange flights.
    What is the cost of visa, and how long is the application process?

You will have to get a number of things together first - criminal background check, notarised and apostilled copy of your degree, letters of reference, apostille on CBC, signed and sealed transcripts (maybe)...etc

You could get all this done in as little as 2 weeks. Total cost could be anywhere between 100-200 euro.
    Are there medical procedures to follow before travelling to South Korea? Vaccines or injections I need to get etc?

No, but when you get here you will undergo a full medical - chest x-ray, HIV test, drugs test...etc. It's a requirement for the visa.
    I understand that flights and accommodation will be paid for by the agency or educational body that employs me, however, is there a particular sum of money I require in my bank account etc, before entering the country as an emigrant?

No, but it is advised to have between 500-1000 euro in your account to tide you over until your first paycheck arrives, just in case of emergencies. You may be waiting up to 6 weeks to get paid.
    Is it best to teach in a private or public school? Should I be trying for a Metropolitan or Provincial school?

If you like a quiet life then the countryside might suit you. Personally, I wouldn't live in any city here that was smaller than 1 million people. Busan and Seoul are the top dogs, in my opinion.

For private vs Public school - look at the South Korea TEFL thread. Public school affords you more holidays, job security, and a relatively light workload. Private schools may give slightly better wages, especially to a first-timer. Job security isn't always there and your boss may be a tyrant. It can be hit or miss either way. You just have to do your research as best you can before accepting a position.
    What age group would I be teaching or would that depend solely on the school that employs me?

The majority of public school positions are at elementary school level. There are middle and high school positions but they are harder to get and the numbers are constantly being reduced. Private schools again are usually aimed at the elementary school-middle school level but you can get positions teaching people of all ages if you bide your time.
    Is this gonna be a simple chat on skype tomorrow or is it an actual formal interview? What kinda questions can I be expected to be asked?

Most of the interviews are pretty standard but it's best to approach it as a formal interview. It probably wont last more than 10-15 minutes. The questions will probably be pretty standard;
    Why South Korea?
    Have you any experience?
    What are your location preferences?
    They may give you one or 2 scenarios where there is trouble in a class or where you have trouble with a co-teacher... All in all it's a piece of cake. Routine stuff. Just talk yourself up (experience with kids, your TEFL cert...etc), be polite and friendly, answer the questions as best you can, smile a lot. It's nothing to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Many thanks for taking time out to reply, you have certainly put me at some bit of ease. Am starting to get quiet nervous about the whole thing. This is all very new to me. I have no previous teaching experience so I am a complete novice at this. I do however deal with people and am a big people person. I presently work in Retail and Customer Service so i am dealing with people everyday. I also love children, having 3 young nephews and a teenage niece.

I am well travelled, did the whole J1 thing when in college, so worked and lived in the US for about 4 months. I have also been to most if not all the EU counties (some more than once).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Harlow

Great run-down of the process and advice SpatialPlanning. Don't know if the medical part is new as I didn't have to do it (2005).

Going through a recruiter as a first-timer might be an advantage Memphis esp for private schools/hagwans. I'm 31 too and thinking of heading abroad to teach again. Did Seoul in 2005-2006, but even knowing its fairly easy to get work in Seoul and being familiar with the place, I'd think about going back with a recruiter e.g reach to teach or eslopportunities (if they're still about), just for the sake of landing a more reputable hagwan.

My tuppence-worth; public schools look and probably are more favourable but you tend to be just one native english speaker. A girl I met there found it a little lonely (but she was naturally very outgoing, & slightly crackers). Hagwans will have usually at least 4 foreigns teachers anyway, but can be very hit & miss. My school ended up closing down 2mths after I left - luckily for me! As much fun as I had the workload was kinda more than I anticipated & days off are limited to Cheoseuk (October-ish).

Its definietly worth the experience though! Asia seems to get in under your bones.

Sadly I have been dropped from the application process. I was going through EPIK who appear to have changed alot of their policies and procedures this year. They are not taking on as much Teachers (financial cuts), are more keen to take on American and Canadian candidates, frown upon tattoos, and alcohol consumption, etc etc etc.

I am pure gutted i won't be going to Korea, but luckily enough the recruitment agency i am going through are very helpful and most obliging and have thrown out a few other options to me. I am looking further into maybe trying to get work in China.... though naturally I need to research it further and that.

Thats a pity. Unless you're dead set on a public school job though, there should still be plenty of private school work. And unless the tattoos are on your face I don't see why that would be an issue. Dave's esl cafe website, among others, is really useful & lists loads of jobs if you're prepared to go it alone & really want to do Korea. And if you're a heterosexual male there is really no end of amusement for you lot there! (I say this as a female having observed Korean women & listened to my all male colleagues stories)

Koreans are on a par with the Irish for the drink so never mind that! Like anywhere just don't show up to work drunk. The only thing is there used to be spot drug tests when I was there. Not at my school but I think a couple Canadians got caught out, were deported & some rumbling went on through the media for a while.

I was looking into Shanghai or Taiwan myself. I should probably get a move on if I'm serious! I've looked quite a bit into both. Have traveled through China & loved it but Taiwan looks warmer (year-round!) & it would be somewhere new. It's time for an adventure :) Good luck with everything & just do it!

• Advertisement

Just after sending in my application for Beijing so will se what becomes of it. I am a bit nervous about the change, as was kinda set on South Korea (with having practiced in Taekwondo for a number of years).

But I suppose there is no reason why I shouldn't explore the Chinese route... At least now my name is in the hat and myself and the recruiting body can take it from there.

P.S. Thanks for the support!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 reddan

Hey folks,

I know this is going to sound like a very familiar tale, but I'm in my early 30's and really fancy the idea of teaching English abroad. I have a BA, a masters and I'm planning on a three week CELTA course in early August, but as of yet have no teaching experience.

Although I have been working for the guts of the last years in a customer service role/ administrative support role in an Irish university.

I was wondering can anyone recommend any decent recruiters? So far I've tried Worknplay,Reach to Teach and I've emailed some guy who came highly recommended off this thread.

I've seen that ATC seems to be held in high regard but I can't see anywhere on their site where you might inquire about a jobs abroad.

As I say, I've been through the thread looking for decent recruiters but don't seem to be able to dig out too many. I've sent 3 emails in the last week outlining my experience and interest in teaching abroad with an attached CV, but haven't heard back yet.

I gather I should be directing a stream of emails towards potential recruiters, is it generally recommended to just email who ever comes up on a google search?

I was looking at Reach to Teach too, but there doesn't seem to be that many accessible recruiters alright. I wouldn't be too worried if you haven't heard back yet after a week. I'm imagining with the current climate there is more interest than ever for 20-30somethings looking to go abroad. Having a masters on top of a BA should be a serious score. I don't know what type of teaching you had in mind but you could look for a university job or editing work.
    I went with eslopportunities.ie/com(?) back in 2005 and aside from a small fee the whole process was really straightforward. I'm not sure how active they are now though. Read through eslcafe.com either for job listings, forums, advice. There are a lot of recruiters advertising the jobs on there. Teachandliveabroad.ie seems to be another Irish company but know nothing about them. Footprintsrecruiting as well. I've looked at Longman & Englishfirst in China too. No matter who you go with or if you decide to go it alone, always read the contract offered and try to get an email for teachers already at the school to see what they think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 reddan

Harlow wrote: »
    I was looking at Reach to Teach too, but there doesn't seem to be that many accessible recruiters alright. I wouldn't be too worried if you haven't heard back yet after a week. I'm imagining with the current climate there is more interest than ever for 20-30somethings looking to go abroad. Having a masters on top of a BA should be a serious score. I don't know what type of teaching you had in mind but you could look for a university job or editing work.
    I went with eslopportunities.ie/com(?) back in 2005 and aside from a small fee the whole process was really straightforward. I'm not sure how active they are now though. Read through eslcafe.com either for job listings, forums, advice. There are a lot of recruiters advertising the jobs on there. Teachandliveabroad.ie seems to be another Irish company but know nothing about them. Footprintsrecruiting as well. I've looked at Longman & Englishfirst in China too. No matter who you go with or if you decide to go it alone, always read the contract offered and try to get an email for teachers already at the school to see what they think of it.

Hey Harlow,

Thanks a million for the reply, very helpful. I'll definitely check out those recruiter sites.

I'd never actually considered the possibility of working in university either in Korea or anywhere else, so it's something to think about.

Best of luck with your search.

Thanks again.

Had an interview other day for position in Beijing, China.... looking good so far. Anyway, ever taught in Beijing that can give some advice/feedback etc? It'd be gratefully appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement