Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance How Much Can A Property Be

Options
  • 28-03-2012 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭
    EMar Sounds

Hi,

I was talking to health service about 3 months back and was told they will
    help with rent allowance on a property up to 440 per month,
    Yesterday i was told by someone else it can't be more than 390 PM
    There are not many decent dwellings for less than 450 per month.
    I have looked and most are in that price range or higher.
    Anything for less than 400 per month is not good living conditions.

Has anyone any info on this?

I'm trying to get off rent allowance and go on city council scheme
    but in the mean time i need to move to a new property and this is
    difficult to find a place that's only 390 per month, never mind asking
    a land lord you don't know to lower their price or go on the ras scheme.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Where are you looking? Are you by yourself or is there a child/ partner?
    Have you looked at renting a room in a house?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Sounds wrote: »
    Hi,

I was talking to health service about 3 months back and was told they will
    help with rent allowance on a property up to 440 per month,
    Yesterday i was told by someone else it can't be more than 390 PM
    There are not many decent dwellings for less than 450 per month.
    I have looked and most are in that price range or higher.
    Anything for less than 400 per month is not good living conditions.

Has anyone any info on this?

I'm trying to get off rent allowance and go on city council scheme
    but in the mean time i need to move to a new property and this is
    difficult to find a place that's only 390 per month, never mind asking
    a land lord you don't know to lower their price or go on the ras scheme.

The amount they will pay depends on area, whether you are living alone, a couple, have children etc.

The rates can be found here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html#l62fd2

These are the maximum rent rates - not what you will receive. If the rent is more then the maximum you will get nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Sounds
    EMar Sounds

Thanks Bannasidhe

That helped me, looks like they reduced the max by 50 euro.
    I wonder if the city council ras scheme is set the same, will have to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

YOU need to on the council housing list to be eligible for rent allowance ,as far as i know,the only body that provides rent allowance is the hse ,from the local health center.AFTER a certain time you may be offered a council flat or house to rent , by the local council,depending on your place on the housing list.
    IF you are on a low income, welfare rent allowance is the only payment avaidable to help you pay , bannasidghe post above has the link to detailed info ,rent allowance limits in different areas .IT maybe cheaper to rent an apartment, large flat depends on where you want to live.

EMar Sounds

It's getting more difficult to find a decent place i think,
    I'm on job seekers allowance right now until i can get work,
    They are trying to push me over to city council RAS scheme,
    I'm hoping i can get in contact with a landlord in Waterford city
    that accepts rent allowance but maybe they will go on the RAS
    scheme instead which city council advised me to look into.
    The apartment i have in mind is far better than the place
    offered by RAS, so will have to follow this up.
    Unfortunately, it's not easy to talk to a landlord you never met before
    and try talk them into lowering their rent to 390 per month, as well as
    going off rent allowance for a city council scheme.
    I will figure this out.

Thanks later

• Advertisement

IF you are a single person, you should be looking at flats or bedsits ,not apartments,i have never heard of a single person on rent allowance renting an apartment.MOST landlord s would only rent an apartment maybe to a single mother on ra,or 2 people ,1person on rent allowance its not financially viable.
    i,d say 99per cent of single people on ra are in flats or bedsits .
    WHATS the problem with the council scheme, is it like i dont wanna live in area x.
    I DONT wanna be rude ,i presume people work to live in houses or apartments which they pay for out of their salary,
    i dont think the hse can afford to give every single person on welfare an apartment. In
    most areas there,s flats of various sizes which are under the ra limit.
    i,m presuming you are single , if you have a child post here ,if you want advice you need to give more information.

EMar Sounds

Hi,

Actually the city council offered me a two bedroom, two story small house,
    The problem is the area, i knew people there, had bad experience on the same street.
    So that is why i am refusing this accommodation, i know what you mean though, me being offered this and not in employment i was very lucky, but i told them i cant live in the space i have, it's just too small, and it's not in the best condition missing a lot of stuff most people have in their homes, i have asked the landlord many times but they never did anything, saying that they are really nice people and helped me in the past.
    The apartment i'm interested in is two bedroom also but it's in a much nicer, safer area.
    And i think i have the right to decide where i feel is best for my future, even if they decide to cut me off rent allowance for refusing.
    I don't have any kids but my gf has and she wouldn't leave them stay at my place.
    I feel bad for refusing this but i want to try get in touch with my friend's old landlord about this apartment, maybe they will sign onto the RAS scheme so i can move in.
    I fear the worst now though, if everything goes pare shaped i'm thinking of leaving the country, not just for that but it's getting harder to get back into a decent job.
    I don't want to sell all my belongings and it won't be easy if i have to, the worst thing can happen is if i end up in the men's hostel.

Have the social services on my back, they won't be too happy when they hear about this.
    I don't like taking people's money but there are people in far worse situations than me.
    Just trying to do the best i can in these circumstances.
    Someone said to me the other day, just take the offer and if anything a happens then you can move.
    Personally i would prefer not to go near that area of town and mess with faith, that could be dangerous.

IF you live in a small town look at flats ,bedsits , put ad in supermarket, website, eg buyandsell, flat wanted ,must take ra.I,M supprised the council is offering you a house, you may rent a room in a house with the owner if the accept rent allowance , the way ra works its up to you to find a flat,its your choice ,the hse will accept almost any flat as long as its under the limit.
    IN dublin limit for single person is 250 in shared accomodation .You are not being forced into 1 flat.You can get advice from centrecare, or threshold .
    I have never heard of a single person under age 60 getting ra for an apartment anywhere in ireland.

Advertisement