Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway United

• 28-03-2012 2:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

People were throwing their toys out of the pram in the Galway City forum, so here we are.

Galway United take on FC Carlow this Sunday, April 1st, at East United FC, in the final match of the Airtiricity U19 League.

KO is 2.00pm. There will be an end of season reception after the match for management, players, families and supporters at the Clayton Hotel, Ballybrit.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

2012-03-27-569_1.jpg

GUST MC Meeting 28th March

The second Management Committee meeting of the recently elected Galway United Supporters Trust took place on Tuesday the 28th of March in Terryland Park. The entire team, new faces and old are committed to securing a future for Galway Soccer in the City and County. A number of very important developments were discussed...stay tuned for updates as soon as they are designated 'official.'

GalwaySoccer.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

With 2 teams already in the county, I can see you struggling to get back into the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

CSF wrote: »
    With 2 teams already in the county, I can see you struggling to get back into the league.

Neither of which have filled the void left for the vast majority of Galway football fans. I think once United come back, it'll be Salthill that will struggle to stay in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

No offense to SD but it's a pity that Salthill are being pushed so hard by the FAI because it's obvious that GUFC are the team most people supported.

Neither of which have filled the void left for the vast majority of Galway football fans. I think once United come back, it'll be Salthill that will struggle to stay in the league.
    I think the issue is Galway actually getting back in the first place. If the FAI were unwilling to accept Cobh or Tralee into the First Division, I can't see them accepting a third team in a county that can't support that.

It is undoubtedly unfortunate that there is no A league for Galway to slip into and then get promotion back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Shelbourne, Bohemians, Shamrock Rovers, St. Pats, UCD..............Dublin City, Sporting Fingal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Shelbourne, Bohemians, Shamrock Rovers, St. Pats, UCD..............Dublin City, Sporting Fingal

Dublin and surrounds has a million and a half people.

CHF and Torpedo are gone.

Tallaght is bigger than any other "city" in the country. Shamrock can definitely be sustained out there.

Non-Tallaght south/southwest dublin is big enough for SPA to be sustainable.

North Dublin, D3, D5, parts of D11, D9, D13 northeast as far out as Malahide, Portmarnock, and even North into Fingal including Swords (old Torpedo land) would be a decent sized hinterland for, say Shels.

Then North Dublin, parts of D11, D7, D15 which is huge, out west to the likes of Finglas, Blanch, Cabra etc would be Bohs heartland.

UCD are an anomoly for sure, but they are not really run as a traditional club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Galway United wouldn't be starting from "scratch" like CHG & Torpedo though.

Although I'm sure the rest of the Shels birgade on here would say otherwise were they to return to the league.

They have a hardcore of support that will make them sustainable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Des wrote: »

Tallaght is bigger than any other "city" in the country.

Incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

How do you actually plan on getting back in? your license request was rejected before, back when you actually had a team. what's changed that that makes you think the FAI will accept another request?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Although I'm sure the rest of the Shels birgade on here would say otherwise were they to return to the league.

They have a hardcore of support that will make them sustainable.

No, you are correct about that, the difference between CHF, Torpedo and GUST is that GUST have a sizeable enough fanbase.

I actually kind of feel sorry for GUST, what has happened to them is what the FAI hope happened to Shels really. Get rid of them, install a yes-man franchise in their stead.

Luckily the Fingal experiment failed, and we are still around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

How do you actually plan on getting back in? your license request was rejected before, back when you actually had a team. what's changed that that makes you think the FAI will accept another request?
    GUST's licence application wasn't rejected. It was never considered because you have to be "invited" to apply.

GUST's licence application wasn't rejected. It was never considered because you have to be "invited" to apply.

same difference. the fact that it wasn't considered was a rejection in itself. and I ask again, what makes you think your next application will go down any different?

Des wrote: »
    Tallaght is bigger than any other "city" in the country.

where the hell does this lie keep coming from? it's smaller than Galway FFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

The comparison with Dublin is ridiculous. If there was demand for football in this country you could have 8 or so Dublin clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It would depend on which Galway United it was. The new or the old one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

He was confusing 'bigger' with 'better'.

I think Tallaght and Galway are both about 70+k, not sure which is actually bigger.

The city size argument for sustaining football clubs ignores the fact that people here are not interested.

Greater Manchester is about twice the size of Greater Dublin and City and United pull in, what, over a 100k between their grounds per-match alone. And that's before you consider Wigan, Bury, Bolton, Stockport, Rochdale, Oldham etc.

The larger South Dublin Council area that Tallaght is situation in has a population of more than a quarter of a million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

tallaght is smaller population wise (only a few thousand) and i think size wise a good bit smaller, which would be more beneficial to rovers, similar number of people but in a smaller catchment area, the population density also carries into the surrounding areas and not drops off to a lower more rural density.

the fai have buggered up with this though, GUFC had/has the fan base. you cant take another team, change its name, its colours to some hash of an inbetween and expect people to jump ship. GUFC isnt quite dead and people wont move while that is the case (if they will at all).

there isnt room for 3 in galway but GUST still holds the key to the biggest fan base, they need to incorporate them to get the fans back. when they were bastardising the salthill constitution they missed a chance to merge the 2 at least for senior level. i know talks broke down but the FAI should really have been trying to force an agreement to include all 3 rather than let one potentially die

overshoot wrote: »
    tallaght is smaller population wise (only a few thousand) and i think size wise a good bit smaller, which would be more beneficial to rovers, similar number of people but in a smaller catchment area, the population density also carries into the surrounding areas and not drops off to a lower more rural density.

the fai have buggered up with this though, GUFC had/has the fan base. you cant take another team, change its name, its colours to some hash of an inbetween and expect people to jump ship. GUFC isnt quite dead and people wont move while that is the case (if they will at all).

there isnt room for 3 in galway but GUST still holds the key to the biggest fan base, they need to incorporate them to get the fans back. when they were bastardising the salthill constitution they missed a chance to merge the 2 at least for senior level. i know talks broke down but the FAI should really have been trying to force an agreement to include all 3 rather than let one potentially die
    I don't think the FAI were really planning for Galway's death with glee. Salthill are hardly that attractive a proposition for Galway football. Galway decided themselves they weren't applying for a licence and then as far as I remember the GUST didn't apply for a licence by the deadline.

Salthill Devon and Mervue have more of a right to LOI football than Galway regardless of their fanbase. Both sides worked their way up from the A league while United were pissing themselves away even before Leeson came in.

• Advertisement

The larger South Dublin Council area that Tallaght is situation in has a population of more than a quarter of a million.

...and that's south Dublin. This isn't about South Dublin. it's about Tallaght. Tallaght has a population of Seventy-one and a half thousand. The confusion arises over smaller towns in the area being wrongly included as part of Tallaght.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tallaght#Modern_development

anyway, back on topic. everyone says that Galway can't support 3 senior teams in the long term. but can it support even 2?

anyway, back on topic. everyone says that Galway can't support 3 senior teams in the long term. but can it support even 2?
    In my opinion, a responsibly run team representing Galway City and County, answerable to the people that support it, would thrive regardless of the presence of either or both of the parish teams.

I don't think the FAI were really planning for Galway's death with glee.

No, but there's no doubting they do actually plan.

Derry City were massively in debt and as luck would have it the FAI found out about their cheating. A bit of grandstanding from Delaney and suddenly they were expelled. (Wow, expelling a financially unviable club!!! :rolleyes: ) and as if by magic the new Derry club comes straight into the FD debt free.

Cork City went out of business and all the way along the FAI held FORAS's hand to ensure the new club got into the league and was skipped up a division straight away.

There seems to have been some belief among Galway United fans that the FAI would back them with a similar stunt. Instead the FAI took a look at the facilities that Mervue and Salthill have and pinned their hopes on one of them becoming the new number one Galway club playing in Terryland.

I assume the old GUFC will be wound up soon and SD Galway will hope to outbid GUST for the name. Even if GUST outbid them, SD Galway will probably become SD Galway United at least.

The FAI will hope then that most Galwegian football fans will row in behind the new Galway United (the rebranded Salthill) while accepting that the diehards in GUST never will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Zebra3 wrote: »

Derry City were massively in debt and as luck would have it the FAI found out about their cheating. A bit of grandstanding from Delaney and suddenly they were expelled. (Wow, expelling a financially unviable club!!! :rolleyes: ) and as if by magic the new Derry club comes straight into the FD debt free.

Cork City went out of business and all the way along the FAI held FORAS's hand to ensure the new club got into the league and was skipped up a division straight away.

There seems to have been some belief among Galway United fans that the FAI would back them with a similar stunt. Instead the FAI took a look at the facilities that Mervue and Salthill have and pinned their hopes on one of them becoming the new number one Galway club playing in Terryland.

I assume the old GUFC will be wound up soon and SD Galway will hope to outbid GUST for the name. Even if GUST outbid them, SD Galway will probably become SD Galway United at least.

The FAI will hope then that most Galwegian football fans will row in behind the new Galway United (the rebranded Salthill) while accepting that the diehards in GUST never will.
    You cant just 'rebrand' a football club to look like another one. Galway fans will never support Sallthill. Theyve got ~150 at their home games so far, they are totally unsustainable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

stovelid wrote: »
    He was confusing 'bigger' with 'better'.

I think Tallaght and Galway are both about 70+k, not sure which is actually bigger.

The city size argument for sustaining football clubs ignores the fact that people here are not interested.

Greater Manchester is about twice the size of Greater Dublin and City and United pull in, what, over a 100k between their grounds per-match alone. And that's before you consider Wigan, Bury, Bolton, Stockport, Rochdale, Oldham etc.

HMM England has a much bigger population. I go to England regularly not for footbal mind you and I have never met someone who goes regularly to games there. I dont meet many people here either but I do meet a few. Came across this though.
    http://foot.ie/threads/157230-Average-attendances-in-Europe-per-capita

CiaranC wrote: »
    You cant just 'rebrand' a football club to look like another one.

:confused: It happened down in Cork already.
    Galway fans will never support Sallthill. Theyve got ~150 at their home games so far, they are totally unsustainable.

They've been in the league two seasons and I'm not aware of them having any debts. The only unsustainable club was the old GUFC. I'd say over time a Salthill playing in Terryland as Galway United will attract a lot of old GUFC fans back as well as attracting new ones.

What options are open to GUST? Is there even Connaught Senior League? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

I don't think the FAI were really planning for Galway's death with glee. Salthill are hardly that attractive a proposition for Galway football. Galway decided themselves they weren't applying for a licence and then as far as I remember the GUST didn't apply for a licence by the deadline.

Salthill Devon and Mervue have more of a right to LOI football than Galway regardless of their fanbase. Both sides worked their way up from the A league while United were pissing themselves away even before Leeson came in.
    id fully agree with that, i was just trying to say when salthill underwent rebranding and changed its constitution it was the best opertunity to merge with GUST. i cant imagine the name would be far of the sd galway they would have ended up with.talks broke down for various reasons and cant blame either side but if the FAI had told GUST that there wouldnt be another galway licence (which i would agree with) things could have gone very differently.
    in a league often struggling to get people through the gates it seems a shame to leave so many fans in the cold in some hope of a revival

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

What was the story with Nick Leeson? I don't know the ins and outs of Galway United's situation but it always struck me as a strange appointment, considering his past history. Why did Galway United give him the job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

:confused: It happened down in Cork already.
    Nonsense, CCFC is owned, operated, run and supported by the same people who have funded its existance since 1984 - Cork City fans. Cork City old and new share a history, regardless to what the bitters say. The legal frameworks behind the club are secondary, a football club is a collection of people, not a just a legal entity.

This is akin to the FAI declining to invite Shels to apply for a licence the year they went bust, and instead dropping Sporting Shelbourne into a red jersey in Tolka Park. Which would have been outrageous.

• Advertisement

There seems to have been some belief among Galway United fans that the FAI would back them with a similar stunt

With all due respect, there was no stunt. GUST did their very best to rescue the situation, but what can you do when the CEO of the club you are trying to save is doing his best to sabotage it...

He wrote to the FAI each and every month demanding payment from GUST for wages he falsely alleges he didn't pay himself.

The only reason GUST kept the show on the road for the 2011 season with the directors having long since abandoned the club/company, an unbelievable feat in the circumstances, was because there was no other choice.

The board of GU Football Club Ltd, have shown on countless occasion that they cannot be trusted and can never be taken for their word, never mind their ringleader, Nick Leeson.

As an aside, people think it's hilarious that "yee were taken in my Leeson". GU Football Club Ltd. employed Nick Leeson. They are the ones responsible for his presence.
    Instead the FAI took a look at the facilities that Mervue and Salthill have and pinned their hopes on one of them becoming the new number one Galway club playing in Terryland.
    It has to be said that the chairman of the League Of Ireland is a Salthill Devon man and was the driving force behind there being 3 Galway teams in the league. He has attempted crown his own as kings of Galway, but it has fallen flat on it's face. Despite the rent on Terryland Park being covered by the FAI, Salthill Devon will make a huge loss this year and even more of the burden of fielding a LOI team will be thrust upon their ordinary members, who they claim to represent.

I assume the old GUFC will be wound up soon
    I can only assume that the reason the directors haven't gone abouit this themselves already is because they are on the hook for the bank debts that they ran up. They have been looking to pin them on GUST. It was speculated that the meetings they intended to keep secret between the FAI, Salthill Devon and Galway United were part of plan to shift the debts onto GUST, had the merger talks gone in favour of them.

Of course the whole thing was a sham and not one person present at the public GUST EGM to discuss it voted in favour.

The directors of Galway United have nothing but contempt for the good football people of Galway who do all the actual work. GUST are the last people they will allow the Galway United game go to if they have a say in it.

Galway football fans are due enormous credit, as they have seen SD Galway and the people behind it (not their ordinary hard-working members) for what they are and have stayed away from Terryland completely. 50 or 60 people paid in at their first match. They gave out upwards of 600 or 700 free tickets not to mention all their members being comped and less than 200 people were there. Far less if some, including Wexford Youths fans and officials are to be taken at their word.

I don't think the FAI were really planning for Galway's death with glee.
    The actions of one man at least, Eamonn Naughton, Salthill Devon man and chairman of the league would say otherwise.

The board of GU Football Club Ltd, have shown on countless occasion that they cannot be trusted and can never be taken for their word, never mind their ringleader, Nick Leeson.

As an aside, people think it's hilarious that "yee were taken in my Leeson". GU Football Club Ltd. employed Nick Leeson. They are the ones responsible for his presence.

Again, pardon my ignorance, but what was the thinking behind Leeson's appointment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

My God, talk about a work of Fiction. I doubt if anyone believes that post - its farcical.

Again, pardon my ignorance, but what was the thinking behind Leeson's appointment?
    I suppose his high profile being able to draw some press was the main reason, but he clearly had neither the qualifications, ability nor inclination to be a competent commercial manager or indeed, CEO. He may have made grand promises as to what he could do for them also, although that is speculation on my part. I would not surprise me in the least if it was true though.

The excitement of having a world-famous convicted fraudster on speed dial might have been another reason.

Some might roll their eyes for me mentioning it for the millionth time, but the documentary about him and Barings could have been about Galway United. His actions, attitude and complete lack of oversight from superiors lead to the demise of both Barings and GU Football Club Ltd. The two stories are identical in so many ways.

My God, talk about a work of Fiction. I doubt if anyone believes that post - its farcical.

care to set the record straight then?

• Advertisement

I suppose his high profile being able to draw some press was the main reason, but he clearly had neither the qualifications, ability nor inclination to be a competent commercial manager or indeed, CEO. He may have made grand promises as to what he could do for them also, although that is speculation on my part. I would not surprise me in the least if it was true though.

His actions, attitude and complete lack of oversight from superiors lead to the demise of both Barings and GU Football Club Ltd. The two stories are identical in so many ways.

Leeson's involvement might only muddy the waters but I'm finding it hard to understand why anyone would let this man near a CEO position. Was there nobody on the board of Galway United who foresaw problems with his appointment?

I know you're sincere in your love for Galway United but there is so much that is problematic about the organistion's current status that it is difficult to lend support to the cause.

From the outside, the whole situation reminds me of the Mel Brooks' movie The Producers, where they brought someone in who they were sure would guarantee their demise.

Leeson's involvement might only muddy the waters but I'm finding it hard to understand why anyone would let this man near a CEO position. Was there nobody on the board of Galway United who foresaw problems with his appointment?
    The board were the ones that brought him in. Only they could answer that. The evidence of how he conducted business was evident for years, but they did nothing. I can't understand it myself. The board are certainly not innocent in the sense that they let Nick off to do what he liked. There were huge loans taken out by them, mostly going towards a period of crazy spending when lads sitting in the stand not even in the squad were on a very comfortable wage. Looking at the amounts that were owed on the loans last year, very little if any of those loans were paid back.

I know you're sincere in your love for Galway United but there is so much that is problematic about the organistion's current status that it is difficult to lend support to the cause.
    I'm not involved in any of this, but I have no desire to see that organisation have anything to do with football again. GUST are working with the backing of the vast majority of clubs in Galway to create a community club that represents the city and county, one that is answerable to those that support it and one that can never be hijacked by criminals or idiots

In case there is any confusion. GUST are not involved with GU Football Club Ltd. The directors of that company have long since abandoned the running of it also.
    From the outside, the whole situation reminds me of the Mel Brooks' movie The Producers, where they brought someone in who they were sure would guarantee their demise.
    If Nick was brought in to bring down Galway United, I can scarcely think of what else he could have done to achieve it.

With all due respect, there was no stunt.

It looks like a stunt to plenty on the outside. Like others done to walk away from their debts during the close season. Why didn't GUST call Leeson's bluff and threathen to pull the plug during the season? It certainly would've got the FAI onside fairly pronto if they thought GUFC were gonna disappear mid-season.
    Nonsense, CCFC is owned, operated, run and supported by the same people who have funded its existance since 1984 - Cork City fans. Cork City old and new share a history, regardless to what the bitters say. The legal frameworks behind the club are secondary, a football club is a collection of people, not a just a legal entity.

:rolleyes: The old Cork City were funded by benefactors and the non-payment of debt.

Cork City old and new share a name. You can't buy history.

Seems close enough to the mark to me.

It looks like a stunt to plenty on the outside. Like others done to walk away from their debts during the close season. Why didn't GUST call Leeson's bluff and threathen to pull the plug during the season? It certainly would've got the FAI onside fairly pronto if they thought GUFC were gonna disappear mid-season.

The last thing GUST wanted to do was collapse the company. GUST were trying to keep the club going if at all possible. We could never threaten Leeson with pulling the plug because he knew this. Leeson's behaviour shows that he could have cared less if the plug was pulled. He seems to have actively been trying to ruin the club for years. The reason GUST pulled away in the end was because there was no option left.

• Advertisement

The last Galway United game to be played for a while v FC Carlow taking place at East United F.C., Castlepark in Galway tomorrow @2pm.

GALWAY UNITED 4-3 CARLOW

IMG_2081.jpg

Galway United under 19's played their final game of the season at the East United ground in Castlepark today. They went out on a high, winning 4-3, in what will be the last game under the Galway United name for the foreseeable future.

These are some photos from the game.

well, guess that's it for Galway United now. they're hardly going to apply for the under 19's again next year?

well, guess that's it for Galway United now. they're hardly going to apply for the under 19's again next year?
    Of course they GUST are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Good luck to Galway United in the future. Hope they can make it back into the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

The last thing GUST wanted to do was collapse the company. GUST were trying to keep the club going if at all possible. We could never threaten Leeson with pulling the plug because he knew this. Leeson's behaviour shows that he could have cared less if the plug was pulled. He seems to have actively been trying to ruin the club for years. The reason GUST pulled away in the end was because there was no option left.

Why not pull out pre-season before Galway were relegated. Surely GUST would have been in a far stronger position and there would be no doubt in anybody's mind that anybody within Galway united were trying to pull a fast one.

doncarlos wrote: »
    Why not pull out pre-season before Galway were relegated. Surely GUST would have been in a far stronger position and there would be no doubt in anybody's mind that anybody within Galway united were trying to pull a fast one.
    If GUST pulled out pre-season, there would have been no club. The point was to have a club and to keep it going. Relegation was the least of the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭getcover

:rolleyes:
    Where to start...

Cork City did NOT go out of business, a holding company owned by No Bobs Coughlan was wound up for non payment of debt. BEFORE, DURING and AFTER this process Cork City FC was fielding underage teams, called Cork City FC, and therefore the football club did NOT go out of business at any stage and continued to fulfill it's fixtures.

NOBODY held FORAS' hand. The Supporter's Group ensured they had everything in place for the licence application (home ground, club officials, money etc.) and were granted a First Division licence, based on achieving the 1st division requirements on merit.

If GUST pulled out pre-season, there would have been no club. The point was to have a club and to keep it going. Relegation was the least of the problems.

Yes but fixtures would have been made and it would have forced the FAIs hand a lot more. Waiting until the club was relegated looks to the outsider that the club was trying to pull a fast one.

getcover wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    Where to start...

Cork City did NOT go out of business, a holding company owned by No Bobs Coughlan was wound up for non payment of debt. BEFORE, DURING and AFTER this process Cork City FC was fielding underage teams, called Cork City FC, and therefore the football club did NOT go out of business at any stage and continued to fulfill it's fixtures.

Where to start...

Other clubs don't give two ****s about holding companies etc. A club is a club. If a club runs up debts it should pay them off or they become extinct. It should NEVER matter who the holding company are.

Can you imagine the outcry if the Glazers walked away leaving £600 million in debt and new owners/fans took over Man United saying "It's nothing to do with us, it was a different holding company"

• Advertisement
Advertisement