Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway United

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

getcover wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    Where to start...

Cork City did NOT go out of business, a holding company owned by No Bobs Coughlan was wound up for non payment of debt. BEFORE, DURING and AFTER this process Cork City FC was fielding underage teams, called Cork City FC, and therefore the football club did NOT go out of business at any stage and continued to fulfill it's fixtures.

NOBODY held FORAS' hand. The Supporter's Group ensured they had everything in place for the licence application (home ground, club officials, money etc.) and were granted a First Division licence, based on achieving the 1st division requirements on merit.

They did not continue to fulfill fixtures. If they were the same club why didn't they continue on in the 2009-2010 Setanta Cup?

For the same reason Derry City didn't. Different club.

And of course the FAI held their hand. The FAI went out of their way to ensure a new club would be ready to take Cork City's place if they ceased to exist.

In fairness to FORAS, they did try to save their club, but Coughlan's lunacy denied them the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭eire4

Good luck to Galway United in the future. Hope they can make it back into the league.

I agree with that sentiment. It seems to be and I know I am probably being totally naive here that it would be best for Galway United, Salthill Devon and Mervue to pool their resources and have just the one senior team representing Galway. They could keep their seperate underage structures but have all 3 clubs funnel toward one senior team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

the problem there of coarse, is who will be in charge? There would be 3 M.C.s looking for control

Where would this new club be based?

What would it be called?

What would their jersey look like?

Therein you'll find your problem...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Zebra3 wrote: »
    They did not continue to fulfill fixtures. If they were the same club why didn't they continue on in the 2009-2010 Setanta Cup?

For the same reason Derry City didn't. Different club.

And of course the FAI held their hand. The FAI went out of their way to ensure a new club would be ready to take Cork City's place if they ceased to exist.

In fairness to FORAS, they did try to save their club, but Coughlan's lunacy denied them the chance.

If that was true UEFA would have banned Cork City from Europe for three years which they havent. City can qualify for europe so in UEFAs eyes and in the Tax Mans eyes, Cork Citys fans eyes its the same club.

Actually loads of English clubs have gone down the same road

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administration_%28British_football%29

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

doncarlos wrote: »
    Yes but fixtures would have been made and it would have forced the FAIs hand a lot more. Waiting until the club was relegated looks to the outsider that the club was trying to pull a fast one.
    I'm not sure if you mean outsiders as in, other LOI fans or just people outside of GUST.

In the case of football people in Galway, they understand what has happened and have voted with their feet. 150-170 people at most attended each of SD Galway's home games thus far. A minority of those people would have paid for the privilege. The numbers for Mervue are almost identical.

The FAI's hand will not be forced by public opinion, especially when the chairman of the league is a Salthill Devon man who is responsible for his club and Mervue being the league in the first place. He is actively working towards trying to make Devon the single Galway representative in the LOI. The people clearly don't want them. Salthill can't even claim to represent their own parish, as they don't even go to watch them. The same goes for Mervue.

Both are great clubs that have done so much to develop the game in Galway, but they are deluded to think that they represent the county.

The welfare of football in Galway is not the concern of the Devon officials (excepting all their hard-working members) or their buddies in the FAI. Their concern is expense paying positions for all the lads and keeping the grants flowing.

eire4 wrote: »
    I agree with that sentiment. It seems to be and I know I am probably being totally naive here that it would be best for Galway United, Salthill Devon and Mervue to pool their resources and have just the one senior team representing Galway.

People with knowledge of football in Galway always roll their eyes when someone inevitably brings this up.

I don't know if you were aware of the (sham) negotiation process involving GUST / Devon / Mervue before the season started. But basically, many of these people couldn't even stand to be in the same room as members of GUST. It was all a show.

There were a number of reasons the GUST membership completely and unanimously rejected a merger of any sorts. One of them was that GUST had and continues to have the backing of the vast majority of clubs in Galway. To partner with Mervue or Devon would alienate them all.

Devon and Mervue compete at junior and juvenile level. Those 2 clubs compete against every other club in the county at every level. Football people in Galway want an entity that represents them, not one that wants abuse the position to funnel talent towards themselves at every level. You would be asking clubs to support rivals they play against every week.

It's not about parochialism or nonsense like that, it's just common sense. They will never support clubs they are competing against.

What GUST is doing is bringing the whole footballing community together to create a proper community entity, backed by everyone. This was never about GUST wanting to run anything, GUST never asked for it, but when the directors of Galway United abandoned it, all GUST could do to keep it going was to do it themselves.

the problem there of coarse, is who will be in charge? There would be 3 M.C.s looking for control

What would it be called?

Therein you'll find your problem...
    Mal-Adjusted, I couldn't find who you were quoting or referring to but anyway...

A merger was never a possibility. I've more or less explained why above, as many people might tell you. Other reasons why I'd disagree with what you've said, but that is the main one.

I was obviously responding to eire4's comment about the 2 clubs merging with GUST outlying why I think it wouldn't work.

Um... I think you have your wires crossed a bit. you say a merger is never a possibility, then say you disagree with what iv'e said. :confused:

Um... I think you have your wires crossed a bit. you say a merger is never a possibility, then say you disagree with what iv'e said. :confused:
    I wasn't clear with what I meant. The merger was never a possibility so all this...

What would it be called?

... was immaterial.

I probably misunderstood the point you were making.

• Advertisement

Terryland Park is to be renamed Deacy Park in honour of the late Eamon "Chick" Deacy.

http://goo.gl/zRxX8

Clips from the radio today about the renaming.

GUST_euro2012_launch_poster_website.jpg

Talkin to myself here am I?

The eejits that plagued the Galway City forum haven't made it here yet. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

The eejits that plagued the Galway City forum haven't made it here yet. :D

Nope

Bit of luck proper Galway be back next season, dont mind the Shels lads they just assume godliness because noone ever seen their accounts and assume because they paid them all they are Gods among the Shelegated group. We had a flood wrecked the ground......still have accounts.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Great to see Eamonn Deacy being honoured in this way. I believe his family once owned the land on which Terryland was built so it's a fitting tribute in more ways than one.

I look forward to welcoming Galway United back to their home at some future date.

Jesus... don't get them started.

Best of luck to the Galway & DL who play the DDSL in the semi final of the FAI Umbro Inter League Cup tomorrow night at the Home Farm Grounds in Whitehall. Kick off @7.30pm.

• Advertisement

Best of luck to the Galway & DL who play the DDSL in the semi final of the FAI Umbro Inter League Cup tomorrow night at the Home Farm Grounds in Whitehall. Kick off @7.30pm.
    DDSL won 2-1. Considering the state of Galway football at the moment, the lads can be proud of reaching the semis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Actually reading your posts! Most interesting thread around.

Welcome to the asylum.

GUST will be meeting with Shamrock Rovers supporters today at The Goalpost, Woodquay from 1.00pm on. All United and Rovers supporters welcome, finger food will be served. See you there !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I was actually thinking the same. It's been a very interesting read!

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    I was actually thinking the same. It's been a very interesting read!
    What you've seen on boards hasn't even scratched the surface. The stuff that has happened in the last 5 years would beggar belief. I tell people some of the stories and I find them hard to believe myself, even though I know that they are really.

FAI bashing is a favourite pastime of many a LOI supporter, but really and truly, Galway football fans have been shafted by self-interested thieves.

Eamonn_Chick_Deacy_Macron_Pack2.png

Available to purchase online
    or in the following Galway outlets for a limited time only:

Terryland Park
    O’Briens Newsagents Williamsgate St.
    Celtic & Claddagh Jewellery,Quay Lane
    Monroes Tavern, Dominick Street
    Square Inn , Athenry
    O’Briens Hardware, Loughrea

PICTURES FROM THE LAUNCH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

FAI bashing is a favourite pastime of many a LOI supporter, but really and truly, Galway football fans have been shafted by self-interested thieves.

You know it; we know it, but it will fall on mostly deaf ears around here - it being a Ole summer.

^^^ why do those shirts and jerseys have Euro 2012 threaded into them?

^^^ why do those shirts and jerseys have Euro 2012 threaded into them?
    They are in honour of Chick Deacy but their launch also coincides with the build-up to Euro 2012, also explaining why they are green I would imagine.

unless he was somehow involved in it (which he may have been for all i know), i'd say it's out of place. just a competition that happens to be on soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

dreamers75 wrote: »
    dont mind the Shels lads they just assume godliness because noone ever seen their accounts and assume because they paid them all they are Gods among the Shelegated group. We had a flood wrecked the ground......still have accounts.......

:confused::confused::confused:

You should try posting in English.

Quit nitpicking you lot ffs

stovelid wrote: »
    Quit nitpicking you lot ffs

who exactly was that aimed at?

who exactly was that aimed at?

What does it matter if Euro 2012 is on it? If it sells a few more jerseys, who cares?

The thread is more interesting than to descend to this.

• Advertisement

the commemoration has nothing to do with the euro 2012 competition. so why is it there? it's a fair question.

it's a fair question.

Is it a genuine gripe or are you disagreeing because it's GUFC? I notice the other people who appear to feel the same are Holiest Of Holy FC.

I don't see the problem. Every business is the country is going to be making hay out of the tournament. Why not a worthy cause?

Is it a genuine gripe or are you disagreeing because it's GUFC?
    ah now, take off the tin-foil hat. :rolleyes:
    I notice the other people who appear to feel the same are Holiest Of Holy FC.
    not too sure what you're trying to say here :confused:
    I don't see the problem. Every business is the country is going to be making hay out of the tournament. Why not a worthy cause?
    it just seems strange to have it thrown on arbitrarily. GUST nor Deacy himself had anything to do with it, so why is it there? it'll also make them seem very dated in a years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Would these shirts not be intended for those traveling to the Euros but want to show that they are also Galway Utd fans too. Supporting two causes at once it would seem.

Better than something with an FAI badge and the logo of a mobile phone company on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

dan1895 wrote: »
    Would these shirts not be intended for those traveling to the Euros but want to show that they are also Galway Utd fans too. Supporting two causes at once it would seem.

Better than something with an FAI badge and the logo of a mobile phone company on it.

Nail on the head there.

that's funny, I thought they were to commemorate Eamonn Deacy?
    what has that to do with anything?

Every Tom, Dick and Harry will be trying to make money out of the Euros, not that I begrudge them it at all. At least his venture benefits a charity and a community sports organisation.

Chick did also play for Ireland. Even though that doesn't make the link any less tenuous, but at least the whole thing is football related.

This is exactly what was intended I think.

Mal-Adjusted was asking an honest question I think. Nothing to do with who he follows.

Every Tom, Dick and Harry will be trying to make money out of the Euros, not that I begrudge them it at all. At least his venture benefits a charity and a community sports organisation.
    what others do is irrelevant.
    Chick did also play for Ireland. Even though that doesn't make the link any less tenuous, but at least the whole thing is football related.
    tenuous indeed.

• Advertisement

It's for charity, chill out.

GUST bore the cost of the merchandise and whatever comes in after that is split 50/50 with the Peter McVerry Trust.

Anyways...

Looks like Terryland will be renamed officially in August.

Y9N9d.png

Galway Soccer Lotto Result 1st June 2012

• No Jackpot Winner
    • No Match 3's
    • 4 Lucky Dips win €50 each
    Dominic Curran C/o Galway Rovers
    Gerard Flaherty, Salthill
    Barbara Sheahan, Threadneedle Road
    Conor Dooley, Ardilaun Road.

Thanks for your support.

Next weeks draw takes place in Cooke's Bar on Friday 8th June @ 9-30pm for a jackpot of €7,100.

Volunteer with GUST

At GUST we are always in need of more volunteers. In particular we need people to help in the following areas;

Saturday Stand
    Every Saturday GUST has a stand in Galway City. On the first Saturday of every month it's in the Eyre Square Centre. On other Saturdays we use different locations. At the stand we sell Lotto tickets, Maroon Army membership, GUSt membership, merchandise and promote any looming special events. We also meet supporters, lapsed supporters and possible new supportrs. We need more people to give an hour or two at the stand. It's an enjoyable way to spend an hour or two and you'll always meet interesting people.

Sell Lotto tickets
    Most of our Lotto sales are offline, person to person. Every ticket sold is a help in achieving our goals. If you can sell a few tickets a week, it all adds up and is a great help. A book of tickets can be collected; from our office at Eamonn Deacy Park, Terryland, from the Saturday Stand, or from members of the Management Committee. Our online Lotto sales are as important our offline, and if you can help promote our online Lotto, please do. We just ask that you don't spam anyone in doing so.

The Website
    You can help by promoting or contributing to this website. You can promote it by telling people about it. You can mention us in your emails, although please don't include us in any spam. You can talk about us on forums, in blogs, in articles, on websites etc.

Blogging
    We are looking for bloggers. If you can write regularly about Galway United, Galway football in general, League of Ireland, All-Ireland football, British football, European football, World football, or any football related topic, we'd love to hear from you. If you can write regularly, once a week, once a fortnight, or once a month get in touch. We believe that good, interesting and regular blogs can be the best way of building, and sustaining an audience for this website.

Helping at events
    A large element of GUST's fundraising efforts consists of organizing and running special fundraising events. We are always interested in people who can help in this area. If you have helped organize and run any event that raised money for any other cause, and would and could like to do the same with us, please let us know. If you have never helped run an event but would like to do so, then you are more than welcome. Get in touch and we'll let you know what's coming up that you could help with.

Football
    Our reason for existing is football. At the moment GUST is involved with some of the junior clubs in County Galway in an Under 19 initiative aimed at keeping players involved in the game who might stop playing. Many players stop playing at this age and we want to keep more of them involved and help them develop as players. We hope these players will form a squad to represent all of County Galway at League of Ireland level next season, and that the clubs they belong to will feel included in the venture rather than feel their players have been poached by a rival club. We also hope to have a team back in the League of Ireland in 2013. If you would like to, and feel you could contribute to this, we'd like to hear from you.

At games
    This one may seem a little strange at the moment seeing as we don't have any involvement with a team at this moment, but we're confident that will change very soon. When we do we will need people to help out at the games with stuff like stewarding, selling Lotto, match programmes, merchandise etc. If you would like to help out at games, why not make contact now and get to know us. It wont be long until the show's back on the road.

If you can help with any of the above get in touch. Send us an email by clicking here and let us know how you would like to help. Make "Volunteer" the subject of the email. We will get back to you, or if you live in Galway you can talk to any member of the management committee. You can help wherever you are, you don't have to live in Galway.

"One City, One County, One Club" - GUST

Great to see Galway lad Greg Cunningham captaining the Irish u21s again last night and getting on the scoresheet too, even if it was a massive fluke!

7468_Dail_Galway.jpg

Ireland vs Croatia - The Dáil Bar

Members of GUST (Galway United Supporters Trust) and the RISSC Western branch (Republic of Ireland Soccer Supporters Club) will be meeting to watch Ireland's opening Euro 2012 game against Croatia... All Galway soccer fans welcome... KO 7:45pm

Come on the boys in green!

Diary of a Galway United Revolutionary

Part One

Part Two

• Advertisement

Ragkn.jpg

The Galway United Supporters Trust have announced a friendly match in association with the Galway FA against Mickey Adams' Port Vale.

It's set for Terryland Park on Saturday 28th July @7.30pm.

The coaching team will include Galway United legend Tommy Lally.

http://www.galwaysoccer.com/2012/06/port-vale-friendlyterryland-park.html

In the paper today that GUST have been accepted into the Under 19 league for next season.

@Ronan|Raven... nice to know somebody is actually reading this thread.

It has fallen on it's arse since it got whined out of the Galway forum by trolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

@Ronan|Raven... nice to know somebody is actually reading this thread.

It has fallen on it's arse since it got whined out of the Galway forum by trolls.

I read it too, I just have little input but I always used to look out for Galways results.

I read it too, I just have little input but I always used to look out for Galways results.
    Fairplay.

I wouldn't be surprised if GUST were in the LOI next season and Mervue and Devon back in the junior leagues.

• Advertisement
Advertisement