Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway United

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Obviously a positive development if it materialises.

After everything that has happened, I'm afraid to be positive about anything, but it does actually seem that the FAI have done an about turn on their thinly veiled tactic of ignoring GUST.

Proof of substantial sponsorship pledged to GUST from a prominent Galwegian businessman was completely ignored by the licencing committee last year. It seems things are going differently this year.

2569.jpg

The Galway United Supporters Trust have organised a free fireside chat with Irish football legend and former Galway United manager, Paddy Mulligan.

The Venue: GUST Partners, The Galway Rovers Clubhouse, Claddagh Hall
    Date: Friday the 26th of April 2013
    Time: 8pm

Paddy, 50 times capped for the Republic of Ireland, has graciously offered to come to help the supporters of Galway United for free.

A fireside chat with stories of football legends Chopper Harris, Stan Bowles, Georgie Best and Johnny Giles.

Paddy was signed by London giants Chelsea and spent three years at the Stamford Bridge club, he made over 60 appearances, including one as a substitute against Real Madrid in the Cup Winners' Cup Final in Athens.

Over the next 8 years, Mulligan would line out for Crystal Palace, West Bromwich Albion and again for Shamrock Rovers, before retiring from playing, for the first time, in 1980.

Supporters of Paddy's former clubs: Shamrock Rovers, Chelsea, West Bromwich Albion, Crystal Palace and of course Galway United are all welcome.

This is a free event for supporters and a thank you for the commitment and loyalty of the last two years.

Enjoyable evening ahead for stories banter and chat in a cordial atmosphere and updates on the current situation will be available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

If you had only one Galway team though what would happen to the first division? That would leave 7 teams!

If you had only one Galway team though what would happen to the first division? That would leave 7 teams!

I don't know what would happen. They said an 8 team First Division wouldn't happen, but it did.

Galway United Supporters Trust are holding an information meeting next Thursday, September 19th at Galway Rovers clubhouse, Claddagh (8.00pm).

All GUST members and Galway United supporters invited to attend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Good to see Galway coming together with one team.

Good to see Galway coming together with one team.

We'll see, it's complicated.

We'll see, it's complicated.

True, but is has to happen.

True, but is has to happen.

I must stress that I don't know anything near the full story, but that said, walking into another situation where the fans have no say could likely end up in another situation like what lead to Galway United collapsing.

Stuff has been happening, but we should know more about it on Thurs and if a decision is to be made by fans on whether to support what is on the table now or not, a vote will be taken.

I must stress that I don't know anything near the full story, but that said, walking into another situation where the fans have no say could likely end up in another situation like what lead to Galway United collapsing.

Stuff has been happening, but we should know more about it on Thurs and if a decision is to be made by fans on whether to support what is on the table now or not, a vote will be taken.

A vote by who? GUST? I'm presuming Salthill and Mervue are already onside considering who is on the board.

• Advertisement

A vote by who? GUST? I'm presuming Salthill and Mervue are already onside considering who is on the board.

It's a long story.

GUST answer to the fans. Anything they do is dependent on a vote from the fans.

Any club will fail without the support of the fans. People were not fooled by the SD Galway nonsense. I was disgusted by it, but also surprised and also proud that Galway United fans saw it for what it was and stayed away.

At the moment, limited as my knowledge of the exact situation is, GUST were given a mandate by the fans following a vote, that the preferred name of any club be Galway United, but more importantly, that it be a co-operative structure, as has been successful in Cork etc. The FAI have sang the praises of clubs like Cork City and the particular model. That said, GUST's attempts to replicate this in Galway has been blocked at every turn for the last 2 or 3 years.

Apparently GUST have 2 reps on this new Galway FC committee or whatever it is. That would be no better than when GUST were trying to counsel Galway United against shooting themselves in the foot time and time again. 2 votes from 9 is as good as none.

Salthill and Mervue were told a long time ago that they would no longer allowed to compete in the LOI by the FAI. Their own club members voted in favour of dropping out of the league, as they have zero interest in it, as evidenced by their attendances.

Why they are even at the table is a mystery. They are not (to my knowledge) contributing anything to this club. Mervue and Salthill are great clubs, but they are now 2 of the 50 or 60 clubs represented by the Galway FA.

GUST have the overwhelming support of junior clubs in Galway and if GUST were to enter into any arrangement that sees any sort of sweetheart deal involving money or players for them, ahead of all the other clubs in Galway, it would cause war and rightly so.

Bit hard to analyse the situation without so many of the facts, but we'll see what happens on Thursday evening anyway.

Some very unfair accusations being made against GUST committee members on forums. Many of them who don't know the details any more than I do.

It's a long story.

GUST answer to the fans. Anything they do is dependent on a vote from the fans.

Any club will fail without the support of the fans. People were not fooled by the SD Galway nonsense. I was disgusted by it, but also surprised and also proud that Galway United fans saw it for what it was and stayed away.

At the moment, limited as my knowledge of the exact situation is, GUST were given a mandate by the fans following a vote, that the preferred name of any club be Galway United, but more importantly, that it be a co-operative structure, as has been successful in Cork etc. The FAI have sang the praises of clubs like Cork City and the particular model. That said, GUST's attempts to replicate this in Galway has been blocked at every turn for the last 2 or 3 years.

Apparently GUST have 2 reps on this new Galway FC committee or whatever it is. That would be no better than when GUST were trying to counsel Galway United against shooting themselves in the foot time and time again. 2 votes from 9 is as good as none.

Salthill and Mervue were told a long time ago that they would no longer allowed to compete in the LOI by the FAI. Their own club members voted in favour of dropping out of the league, as they have zero interest in it, as evidenced by their attendances.

Why they are even at the table is a mystery. They are not (to my knowledge) contributing anything to this club. Mervue and Salthill are great clubs, but they are now 2 of the 50 or 60 clubs represented by the Galway FA.

GUST have the overwhelming support of junior clubs in Galway and if GUST were to enter into any arrangement that sees any sort of sweetheart deal involving money or players for them, ahead of all the other clubs in Galway, it would cause war and rightly so.

Bit hard to analyse the situation without so many of the facts, but we'll see what happens on Thursday evening anyway.

Some very unfair accusations being made against GUST committee members on forums. Many of them who don't know the details any more than I do.

The problem with GUST though are their lack of alternatives. If they vote this down, where do they go?
    Personally, I'd like to see this happen. The city could hardly support one club, never mind two or three. Salthill and Mervue are excellent nursery clubs and could provide a great feeder system for young talent in the city.

Just to expand upon the notice posted above, this meeting is of immense importance. It could be a day we look back on fondly for decades to come, depending on how it turns out.

Thursday, September 19th at Galway Rovers clubhouse, Claddagh (8.00pm).

The problem with GUST though are their lack of alternatives. If they vote this down, where do they go?
    Personally, I'd like to see this happen. The city could hardly support one club, never mind two or three. Salthill and Mervue are excellent nursery clubs and could provide a great feeder system for young talent in the city.

I don't even know what the vote would be for exactly, but I'm not in favour of a club at any cost. Walking into another situation with people with no regard for anything but their own status and remuneration would be a non-runner.

There will not be 3 clubs whatever happens. FAI have stated the two clubs are out and their own members don't want them in the LOI.

Like I said, I don't know the details, but personally, anything other than a co-operative structure is a non-runner. A committee with 2 fan representatives from 9 on it promising that the co-op idea will be "looked at" would be complete nonsense. Would likely never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭LOSTfan57

Its going ahead anyway. Irregardless of GUST. That excuse for a forum they have is just a load of sniping and snideness. The MC has ceased working with fans. Dont answer questions etc. Galway FC is the future!

LOSTfan57 wrote: »
    Its going ahead anyway. Irregardless of GUST. That excuse for a forum they have is just a load of sniping and snideness. The MC has ceased working with fans. Dont answer questions etc. Galway FC is the future!

Everybody knows that Galway FC will go ahead regardless. No interest in it myself as I know the fans will not be heeded. Not GUST, the fans.

The forum is independent of GUST. It is run by a fan who provides it as a service to anyone with an interest in Galway United.

Everybody knows that Galway FC will go ahead regardless. No interest in it myself as I know the fans will not be heeded. Not GUST, the fans.

The forum is independent of GUST. It is run by a fan who provides it as a service to anyone with an interest in Galway United.
    that "fan" is a puppet of GUST. Anyone speaks bad or disagrees with him or GUST they get posts deleted and then sitebanned....its a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Don't know or understand the politics and issues relating to senior football in Galway but one thing is for sure all parties interested in having a successful League of Ireland team need to put their differences aside and their heads together to work towards having one representative team capable of playing in the Premier league and attracting significant support. The current situation is damaging the game in the city, I am amazed the FAI have not taken stronger action to resolve the situation, maybe Michael D could act as a facilitator!
    Would not be concerned about first division vacancy I'm sure one team from Tralee Dynamos, Kilkenny City, Monaghan United, Kildare County et al could be persuaded to play in the Division

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

What happens if Mervue Utd go up, does this change things regarding the new Galway side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

If you managed to get all the fans of the three clubs in on this idea you'd still have an awful attendance. Galway people do not care about football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

AgileMyth wrote: »
    If you managed to get all the fans of the three clubs in on this idea you'd still have an awful attendance. Galway people do not care about football.

The truth of it is that Galway Utd have never had much support outside of the city. In most of county Galway GAA is king and Galway United don't really register that much in people's minds. One thing for sure is that Galway as a smallish city can not support 3 League of Ireland clubs so something has to give there.

that "fan" is a puppet of GUST. Anyone speaks bad or disagrees with him or GUST they get posts deleted and then sitebanned....its a joke

Mostly new users popping up making all sorts of accusations without any proof whatsoever and being politely asked to stop on several occasions but not doing so are not welcome here on boards and I'd say the vast majority of users of the GUST forum don't appreciate them either.

I think other comments may have been removed because details of the talks were being leaked, possibly in an attempt to damage GUST. Pages of printouts have been waived in the air at FAI meetings by officials of LOI clubs in a childish attempt to discredit Galway United fans. Keeping the forum civil and not allowing anything damaging to the process, when GUST were directed by the FAI to keep their mouths shut can hardly be criticised all that much. The people posting the info may well have been doing it to be able to print it off and wave it in the air.

I find the idea that the site admin would ban somebody for simply disagreeing with him hilarious. I would have been banned on countless occasions if that was even remotely based in reality.

You seem very worried about the integrity of a forum that you have called a joke.
    Don't know or understand the politics and issues relating to senior football in Galway but

Many Galway United fans don't understand it either. Some are angry that GUST aren't jumping at this Galway FC venture. The problem is, in my opinoin, GUST would be walking into a situation worse than the old Galway United. Fans had zero input or control over Galway United. No matter what the blurb coming from Galway FC is, it will end up being the same thing again, but Galway United fans would be walking right into it.

When I say GUST, I mean the few hundred fans who attend meetings and vote on the direction GUST takes. GUST aren't a few guys doing what they like. It is a democratic organisation. Galway FC isn't. As far as I can see, the members of the interim board of the team were not elected and I will take the promise that a co-op will be set-up in the future with a grain of salt as big as an elephant, just like most of the FAI's promises related to the situation in Galway.
    one thing is for sure all parties interested in having a successful League of Ireland team need to put their differences aside and their heads together to work towards having one representative team capable of playing in the Premier league and attracting significant support. The current situation is damaging the game in the city, I am amazed the FAI have not taken stronger action to resolve the situation

I think the fact that people looking at the situation automatically assume the FAI want to fix it is mistake no. 1. It may look like nothing but parochial infighting from the outside, but the political manoeuvrings extend to the FAI.

Let's say I have some buddies who help me get elected to a position of power within a football association. Let's then say I want to keep those buddies happy and when a situation arises where I can interfere and plonk my buddies somewhere they can possibly follow me up the political ladder. I know some will call it a conspiracy theory outright, but really, if the FAI wanted to sort it, it would be done well before now.

The constant stalling and effective refusal allow a co-operative, one man, one vote set-up is almost criminal.
    What happens if Mervue Utd go up, does this change things regarding the new Galway side?

The FAI do whatever they like. There will be 1 team in Galway next year, Galway FC or whatever it ends up being called.
    AgileMyth wrote: »

Salthill and Mervue have a negligible amount of support. Their own clubs members, who are many, have no interest in their clubs being in the LOI.

Galway United had close to 1k average attendance, despite going on the worst run in the history of the LOI. 1k does not sound like much, but it is sufficient for a club to be a going concern and be capable of slowly developing infrastructure and community projects over time. These are the things that allow you to grow. Any time Galway United / Rovers did well over the years, even in the First Division, the crowds came.

What you would call an awful attendance might be quite healthy, relative to other LOI clubs especially. Galway GAA get good attendances (I assume), but when you factor in the low number of inter-county games relative to LOI and the fact that Galway fans usually suspect the hurlers and footballers are capable of doing well, the difference isn't exactly night and day. GAA is embedded in every parish in Ireland. LOI isn't.

LOI scheduling sometimes sees clubs having multiple home games in the same week. Some teams will have played more than 40 competitive games by the end of the season, some quite a few more on occasion.
    aidan24326 wrote: »
    The truth of it is that Galway Utd have never had much support outside of the city.

Sorry but I have to disagree completely there. On the basis of speaking with fans and people in GUST over the years, seeing and hearing where lotto subscribers, season ticket holders, customers at the programme and raffle stand were from... the split is about 50/50. The club has always had very strong support from the county, relative to people from the city. People from South Mayo, North Clare and even Tipperary made Terryland their home of a Friday evening.
    In most of county Galway GAA is king and Galway United don't really register that much in people's minds.
    This is nothing to do with Galway. LOI doesn't register for the vast majority of people in any county in Ireland.
    One thing for sure is that Galway as a smallish city can not support 3 League of Ireland clubs so something has to give there.
    Absolutely. I think no matter what happens, there will be only one club from Galway in the LOI next March. With or without the support of football people in Galway, this Galway FC will go ahead. I don't know what will happen in the next few months, but I imagine it will stay afloat for a couple of seasons and then fall apart.

If it is what I think it is, people will see it for what it is and stay away.

A long term solution is needed, not another SD Galway doomed to fall on its arse but serve a political purpose for those behind it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Would not be concerned about first division vacancy I'm sure one team from Tralee Dynamos, Kilkenny City, Monaghan United, Kildare County et al could be persuaded to play in the Division

Even though I'm leaving Division 1 (finally :D), I would be concerned about the potential vacancies in the Discover Ireland League!
    I cant see any of Kilkenny/Monaghan/Kildare being "persuaded" to play in the League seeing as they proved to be unsustainable as League entities.

Everyone mentions Tralee Dynamos when new teams are mooted but I've yet to meet anyone who has actually been to Tralee Dynamos and categorically say they were interested or had enough in place to warrant a place in the League. Personally I've never been there so cant comment on their setup myself.

Don't know a whole lot about the new Galway situation so I'm open to correction, but Salthill and Mervue would be the only ones to benefit seeing as they were looking to get out of LOI and there was a proposal that they get a pay off for any players that decide to join the new club so its win-win for them.
    The fan base of those 2 clubs combined wouldn't fill the old away dressing room in St Mels Park so a combination/spinoff team from them,without the support of the Galway United fans, is p*ssing against the wind imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

To be honest, it's probably just a new SD Galway. No fans will turn up as it will basically be a glorified Mervue + Salthill combo. Why would anybody from any of the other 50 odd clubs in Galway go and pay to watch their rivals at underage level play in an empty Terryland, LOI or not? Won't work, nothing will work long term without fan involvement. Sadly, GUST seem to be a complete shambles at the moment.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    To be honest, it's probably just a new SD Galway. No fans will turn up as it will basically be a glorified Mervue + Salthill combo. Why would anybody from any of the other 50 odd clubs in Galway go and pay to watch their rivals at underage level play in an empty Terryland, LOI or not? Won't work, nothing will work long term without fan involvement. Sadly, GUST seem to be a complete shambles at the moment.

Well, that seems to be the problem. GUST do not seem to be well organised or have any alternatives beyond a co-op system (I could be mistaken?)
    Not too sure about your other point. People from the junior/juvenile clubs aren't the only folks that head to Terryland/Eamonn Deacy. Plenty go with no affiliation to any other clubs so I think you could see some crowds show up.
    One way or the other the city can only support one team and I don't think a couple hundred lads from GUST not supporting it will bring it down.

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    I cant see any of Kilkenny/Monaghan/Kildare being "persuaded" to play in the League seeing as they proved to be unsustainable as League entities.

I'm not disagreeing with you as such, but a club going bust doesn't mean a club isn't viable. Many things can bring a club down. Look at Galway United. Absolutely nobody can say that a single club that actually represents the city and county wouldn't be viable. That would be complete nonsense. It was run into the ground. If an actual club was built, with fans at the centre of it and the purse strings minded by someone who wasn't famous for losing the run of himself, to put it mildly... then the club would never had gone the way it did.
    Don't know a whole lot about the new Galway situation so I'm open to correction, but Salthill and Mervue would be the only ones to benefit seeing as they were looking to get out of LOI and there was a proposal that they get a pay off for any players that decide to join the new club so its win-win for them.

The payments you are referring to were exposed publicly and (afaik) subsequently scrapped, as they are completely illegal under UEFA rules. There was something else about solidarity payments paid to senior LOI clubs that, as far as I could see, would have been effectively funnelled to Mervue/Salthill. Which is also illegal. The payments for for senior LOI clubs, who should have an underage team/setup. This Galway FC and also GUST this past season were/will be prevented from fielding underage LOI teams. Also all probably against UEFA rules.
    The fan base of those 2 clubs combined wouldn't fill the old away dressing room in St Mels Park so a combination/spinoff team from them,without the support of the Galway United fans, is p*ssing against the wind imho.

Honest opinion... whether the club survives doesn't concern those that are pushing for it. You have people worried about their positions on league committees and councils who want to protect and/or further their positions.

If I was to put money on it, I would say that the club will be full steam ahead but without the support of fans and no money coming in and no actual support from anyone at Salthill or Mervue except their reps, it will die a death. I still think it will last 2 or maybe 3 seasons.

Personal opinion / speculation as to the real purpose of "Galway FC".

- Personal ambitions of certain individuals
    - Save some face, by pretending to be very involved in this new venture and having the situation spun so that it looks like FAI is forcing the 2 clubs out. Personal opinion there, but I think that the club reps are more than happy to have it look like they are being turfed out. I don't think that is even remotely the case.
    - Attempt to funnel money from Galway FC to indirectly "compensate" the clubs for being "kicked out".
    - Big launch, pat each other on the back, photos in the paper.
    - Pretend, as they have been doing, that they brought in big money sponsors, in the shape of the Comer brothers. Know very little about them or their opinion of the situation, but since GUST brought them to the table, not anyone who was claiming to have done so in the media recently... the Comers can hardly be naive enough to invest in this sham imo.

Well, that seems to be the problem. GUST do not seem to be well organised or have any alternatives beyond a co-op system (I could be mistaken?)
    Very fair point. Imo, this situation will not be resolved until the current chairman of the League of Ireland is defeated or moves on himself.

The FAI have lauded the co-op model as the way to go, pointing to how great Cork City etc are. After all that, every attempt to implement this in Galway has been shot down or the rulebook used against GUST and anyone else who wanted to see a proper long-term solution.

I wouldn't tell anyone to support or not support this entity, but I will give them my opinion.

I will never support this entity as any involvement from GUST will inevitably be a token gesture. 25% or the votes on the board/committee are worth nothing if the board is set up to ensure you are always going to be out-voted on anything of importance. This might sound like a very negative opinion, but knowing how the parties involved in this venture have always behaved as far as I have followed LOI, I don't feel it is over-the-top.
    Not too sure about your other point. People from the junior/juvenile clubs aren't the only folks that head to Terryland/Eamonn Deacy. Plenty go with no affiliation to any other clubs so I think you could see some crowds show up.

People or friends/relations of people involved junior/juvenile football, past and present are an important part of the potential fan-base of a proper Galway club. After all, players that represent their county don't appear out of thin air.
    One way or the other the city can only support one team and I don't think a couple hundred lads from GUST not supporting it will bring it down.

The thing about the few hundred people that are invested enough in it to go to meetings... they are the heart of the club. That sounds like a dig at fans who don't bother, but what I mean is, the people who do, they are the ones that market the club, annoy family, friends, neighbours, colleagues to come and try Terryland at least once.

They are the ones that put posters up all over Galway city and county, sell lotto tickets, steward matches, sell programmes, do everything they can to see that the coaching and playing staff have what they need and carry out nearly all the functions of the club.

Without them, the other 90% or whatever of the supporters will know that is it NOT Galway United. That it is NOT a club that represents them. They might only be a smaller part of the overall support, but the supporters as a whole respect them and their opinions. If their isn't heart in it, the vast majority of them will likely not see why they should care either.

Very fair point. Imo, this situation will not be resolved until the current chairman of the League of Ireland is defeated or moves on himself.

The FAI have lauded the co-op model as the way to go, pointing to how great Cork City etc are. After all that, every attempt to implement this in Galway has been shot down or the rulebook used against GUST and anyone else who wanted to see a proper long-term solution.

I wouldn't tell anyone to support or not support this entity, but I will give them my opinion.

I will never support this entity as any involvement from GUST will inevitably be a token gesture. 25% or the votes on the board/committee are worth nothing if the board is set up to ensure you are always going to be out-voted on anything of importance. This might sound like a very negative opinion, but knowing how the parties involved in this venture have always behaved as far as I have followed LOI, I don't feel it is over-the-top.

People or friends/relations of people involved junior/juvenile football, past and present are an important part of the potential fan-base of a proper Galway club. After all, players that represent their county don't appear out of thin air.

The thing about the few hundred people that are invested enough in it to go to meetings... they are the heart of the club. That sounds like a dig at fans who don't bother, but what I mean is, the people who do, they are the ones that market the club, annoy family, friends, neighbours, colleagues to come and try Terryland at least once.

They are the ones that put posters up all over Galway city and county, sell lotto tickets, steward matches, sell programmes, do everything they can to see that the coaching and playing staff have what they need and carry out nearly all the functions of the club.

Without them, the other 90% or whatever of the supporters will know that is it NOT Galway United. That it is NOT a club that represents them. They might only be a smaller part of the overall support, but the supporters as a whole respect them and their opinions. If their isn't heart in it, the vast majority of them will likely not see why they should care either.

Fair points and I wasn't aiming to insult any of the lads in GUST. I have the utmost respect for anyone that volunteers to support local sport, at any level.
    So, yes, that degree of committed support is absolutely needed, but in reality the Galway team(however it is comprised) needs new fans.
    There are new students coming into Galway every year, plenty of international folks living in town and even tourists. A mix of attracting these folks with a local hardcore is needed. How they get to that point...I don't know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

All from ExtratimeNews.ie twitter

"Galway FC confirm they have been invited to submit a licence application for 2014 League of Ireland season #LeagueOfIreland"

"The Comer Group have agreed to be primary sponsor of Galway FC for the next 3 seasons #LeagueOfIreland"

"Galway FC confirm they have been invited to submit a licence application for 2014 League of Ireland season #LeagueOfIreland"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

personally hoppe to see a big galway team in the league. Partly because the night out after it would be great but mostly because going up and down to dublin can be a pain after a while

Very much going to wait and see what happens here. Supporter involvement mentioned but as far as I can see, supporters have been very deliberately ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Very much going to wait and see what happens here. Supporter involvement mentioned but as far as I can see, supporters have been very deliberately ignored.

Not one to be suspicious of the FAI (total lie), but it's common knowledge they don't like GUST, but they do in a way need an endorsement of sorts off them.

May well be a case of they're suckered in, and then ignored.

Either way, give us a handy 9/12/18/24 points next season. ;)

Zebra3 wrote: »
    but they do in a way need an endorsement of sorts off them.

I disagree. They have completely ignored us, denied us the opportunity to do a FORAS Co-op type thing.

They tried SD Galway, which fell flat on its face and fooled nobody, but they have made it look legitimate this time, so I fear we it will trundle along for a few years before it is bled dry.

Naughton doesn't care what goes on in Galway as long as he has control over how they vote. GUST having a vote makes no difference as they would be hugely outnumbered when anything of importance is being voted upon.

Talk of supporter involvement and co-ops is complete nonsense, The FAI and Galway FC seriously want people to believe that they all of a sudden embrace the fans when they have ignored them almost completely. The press release a while back stating that everything was sorted, everyone on board, was a huge surprise to the fans and was done against the wishes of the GUST reps who were negotiating on behalf of the trust.

The mention of co-ops is pure nonsense. If they actually wanted that to happen, they would be putting it in place already. It is just another lie, a carrot to dangle in front of fans that they will never get.

I won't warn anyone off going to Terryland if that is their wish, but I won't be going near it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Will there a be drive in Galway to rustle up a few fans for this Galway team?

• Advertisement

Panthro wrote: »
    Will there a be drive in Galway to rustle up a few fans for this Galway team?

I hope so.

I only ever went to a handful of galway United games before and as I'm now living not too far from the stadium I'd be interested in going to a few games.

I'd be interested to know if GUST will get behind the new team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'll probably go to the games when I can. The women's season will be finishing as this is starting so it'll fill that void for me!

except despite GUST's claims this is NOT SD Galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

It would be interesting to see if there will be a drive to attract new fans.
    If I'm back in Galway again in a few months, I'll probably go to a few games.I think if they really pushed the boat out they would have a sizable fan base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

7 team First Division so or....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Don't worry, the FAI will probably drag some midlands team kicking and screaming into the league then turn a blind eye when they go bankrupt in 7 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

SantryRed wrote: »
    7 team First Division so or....?
    id rather see D1 as an A championship... one team sitting out each week, rounds of 6 games... what play each other 5 or 6 times to get a 30/36 game a season? that monotony could kill Galway nua even if GUST support it!

i think 1 year with 1 division before dropping back to a team 16 premier and A championship would be a better idea (still a week off for somebody there tho...)
    they cant jump galway to the premier ahead of the existing teams so its all in or they either have a farce (i still regard 8 as a farce) of a D1 or put everyone together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I disagree. They have completely ignored us, denied us the opportunity to do a FORAS Co-op type thing.

cl, I only said "of sorts". They've put this statement out with vague promises in it as you've mentioned, and unless GUST come out and shoot it down straight away, that'll do for the FAI as "an endorsement of sorts".

Zebra3 wrote: »
    cl, I only said "of sorts". They've put this statement out with vague promises in it as you've mentioned, and unless GUST come out and shoot it down straight away, that'll do for the FAI as "an endorsement of sorts".

The lads in GUST probably can't take being on the outside any more and would rather be part of something either way than call Galway FC what it is.

I wouldn't have any interest in ever supporting or being involved in Galway FC if it is not a co-op, which it isn't and never will be imo.

If they really wanted a co-op, they (the FAI) would have allowed it happen 2 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Why don't FAI like GUST?

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    Why don't FAI like GUST?

It's a very small number of people who want to keep whichever Galway club competes in the LOI under their control and by that I mean vote for the right person when the a certain position is voted upon by league clubs every 2 years.

It would be extremely difficult to influence a co-op.

Why was a co-op allowed form in Cork to run a LOI club there and not in Galway, the above is your answer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Galway FC sounds wrong..it's missing a town or city or united..

dfx- wrote: »
    Galway FC sounds wrong..it's missing a town or city or united..
    The name is the absolute least of the problems with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    Why don't FAI like GUST?

Its not just the FAI...

The problem with GUST is that there are people involved in it who were involved with the demise of the previous Galway team, also the whole attitude from the GUST/Galway FC/Galway Utd shower towards Mervue and Salthill about how bad they are....Newflash these clubs operated within their means and didn't go flat broke like the previous Galway side...

Also this attitude from GUST, of throwing their toys out of the pram about it not being a co-op...Cop on the support your local team, shower of children around galway football...

/rant

The problem with GUST is that there are people involved in it who were involved with the demise of the previous Galway team

To blame GUST in any way for the demise of the company is nonsense.

Galway United was a private company. It amassed huge debts. There are many many instances when GUST advice was completely ignored.

Rather than see it collapse before the beginning of the 2011 season, GUST agreed to look after the day to day operations of the club for the 2011 season. Nothing more, nothing less.

Substantial debts which were hidden from by the former CEO popped up on a weekly basis.

GUST had to keep up with payments related to the huge existing debts, before they could even think about allocating money towards the running of the club.

Before GUST agreed to look after the day-to-day, the outgoing CEO gave the team manager a substantial raise and a long-term contract, when everything was being scaled-back in order to save the club and live within its means.

When the season finished, the decision was made to withdraw support from the company.

Why try to save a company when it's directors are working against.

My personal opinion is that the directors and some FAI administrators were happy to let GUST appear to be in control of the club and shift the blame when the company failed, one way or another.

You are entitled to your opinion, but don't falsely accuse people of causing the collapse of a club when they clearly were not to blame.

What Mervue or Salthill do/think/say or what Galway United fans think of them is neither here nor there. A structure that cannot be hijacked, like Galway United was, is the only way forward.

• Advertisement
Advertisement