Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway United

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Tommy Dunne to be unveiled as manager of Galway FC soon.

Report due back soon-ish from the management committee of the Galway United Supporters Trust soon regarding the implementation of a co-operative structure.

Vote at a public meeting will likely follow that to decide if GUST support the Galway FC venture.

Hear back from who though? GFC or the FAI?

Thoughts on Tommy Dunne here?
    Might work well having someone come in from outside Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Hear back from who though? GFC or the FAI?
    There were heated discussions at public meetings, whether or not to back Galway FC.

In my opinion, the GUST vote on the committee is a token gesture, intended to give the appearance of it being inclusive of everyone.

The GUST management committee were directed by a vote taken at a public meeting to pursue a co-operative structure, within a short time frame.

Galway FC is and will be happening regardless of what GUST vote on, but I can only see GUST officially backing out either before Xmas or the start of the season.

There might be e GUST place on this board/committee, but iirc, Galway United fans never voted to be part of it.
    Thoughts on Tommy Dunne here?
    Might work well having someone come in from outside Galway.

Surprised he was appointed as he is a guy that seems to have helped build a club in Cork. He will not be given the tools for that in Galway imo. A deal was done that sees Mervue and Salthill, both junior teams from Galway, field teams in the FAI Under 19 League and nobody else, for 5 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

That deal for the u19 Elite league is a disgrace.

What's the point of having a "Galway" senior team if it has no club structure and no u19 team?

Athlone next season will have a squad of 16 players and then be using their u19's as the backup.

This is what every team should be aiming to do. Franchise Galway will have to sign at least 20 players now, which makes their budget stupidly big for the first division. It's completely unsustainable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Seaneh wrote: »

What's the point of having a "Galway" senior team if it has no club structure and no u19 team?

Athlone next season will have a squad of 16 players and then be using their u19's as the backup.

This is what every team should be aiming to do. Franchise Galway will have to sign at least 20 players now, which makes their budget stupidly big for the first division. It's completely unsustainable.

We're going down the U19 route aswell, already 3 signed for the 1st team. Not to mention our current U19s pishing away with the League!

Signing 20 players isn't unsustainable tbh, what's stopping them signing young lads on 100 quid a week?

Seaneh wrote: »

Mervue and Salthill have a record of doing their best to stand in the way of their best moving on up the ladder, when the choice of the player happens to be a Galway based LOI team.

It was leaked from the talks ages ago that Mervue and Salthill wanted to be paid for any players signing for Galway FC from them. Players could go anywhere they liked, but not to Galway FC unless the ransom was paid.

This never happened, as it is clearly ludicrous, but I think we can expect more of the same kind of nonsense as long as the club is under the thumb of the old boys club.

The under 19s thing seems to have happened, so it just goes to show that they can and will do what they like.

Signing 20 players isn't unsustainable tbh, what's stopping them signing young lads on 100 quid a week?

If a squad of 16 is supplemented with 5 or 6 players at €100 a week, who would otherwise be amateur, the cost could exceed €100,000 over 5 years.

Mervue and Salthill reps are on the board of Galway FC and are looking after their own interests ahead of anything else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Well, I reckon the likes of Ger Hanley will the the calibre of player they will be looking to sign to be honest (Ger's not a bad 'keeper mind), too keep wages down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Good luck to all involved with the launch of Galway FC tonight, hopefully the start of a bright era for League of Ireland football in the city of the Tribes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Karl Moore ‏@moorzD9 8h
    Wonder if GUST still intend on honouring their debts to players they ran up when they were in control of Galway Utd's finances (as promised)

Karl Moore earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

1476481_10152049708436941_2003415997_n.jpg

Looking good! I've a feeling that despite some of the doubts and rumblings from certain sections that this set will be a success. I know I'll be supporting the club and will be fully behind it anyways. Even ordered the misses to get me a jersey or a jacket of some sorts and a season ticket this Christmas, feck the cheap socks and pairs of Bart Simpsons underwear this year.... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Cat looking jersey, but that's the least of their worries. Always been hard for Galway United to get the locals to support them in decent numbers. Hope that changes.
    Wish them all the best.

Cat looking jersey,
    It looks suspiciously like a spare of one of the GUST U19 jerseys with the new logos slapped on. I would be surprised if this was the exact jersey. That one pictured is long-sleeved for a start, which the 2014 one is hardly gonna be.
    Always been hard for Galway United to get the locals to support them in decent numbers.
    When was this now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'm slightly surprised they couldn't get a Galway business to sponsor them. Still, looking good!

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    I'm slightly surprised they couldn't get a Galway business to sponsor them. Still, looking good!

The sponsors are Comer Property Management who are two brothers from North Galway who emigrated to the UK and made their fortune.

They own countless properties in Ireland and Europe. Palmerstown House Estate is one of them. They also own the Connacht Hotel where the launch was held yesterday evening.

While League of Ireland teams get some national coverage, in my opinion, the value of the jersey sponsorship to them would be diminished if they were to advertise a hotel in the hometown of the club.

They only want to help build a club really, but it stands to reason, for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It looks suspiciously like a spare of one of the GUST U19 jerseys with the new logos slapped on.

It think it is. Same design around the collar. Hope the away is the white one. The white U19 one was the nicest jersey I'd seen in a while.

They should have copied the women's jerseys though, they're lovely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

That jersey is horrendous, I really hope they get something better.

Hopefully we draw Galway in the cup next year. My favourite away ground and away trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

TBP wrote: »
    Looking good! I've a feeling that despite some of the doubts and rumblings from certain sections that this set will be a success. I know I'll be supporting the club and will be fully behind it anyways. Even ordered the misses to get me a jersey or a jacket of some sortsand a season ticket this Christmas, feck the cheap socks and pairs of Bart Simpsons underwear this year.... :pac:

Any word on season tickets, release dates and prices etc?

(GUFC season ticket holder here btw :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

It looks suspiciously like a spare of one of the GUST U19 jerseys with the new logos slapped on. I would be surprised if this was the exact jersey. That one pictured is long-sleeved for a start, which the 2014 one is hardly gonna be.

You were spot on. I sent an email to the club earlier on asking them when the merchandise will be on sale (jerseys/jackets etc) and I asked them if the jersey Tommy is holding there above was indeed the official 2014 one and they replied to me within the hour and said that it was indeed a mock up jersey just for the night, they'll have a polo neck for sale before christmas and the rest will be on sale or launched shortly after the christmas.

• Advertisement

TBP wrote: »
    You were spot on. I sent an email to the club earlier on asking them when the merchandise will be on sale (jerseys/jackets etc) and I asked them if the jersey Tommy is holding there above was indeed the official 2014 one and they replied to me within the hour and said that it was indeed a mock up jersey just for the night, they'll have a polo neck for sale before christmas and the rest will be on sale or launched shortly after the christmas.

Yep, I heard exactly the same earlier. I wouldn't be worried about the pictured jersey being cat, knowing who is involved in designing the actual one for 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Bit on them now on RTE News Now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

I see the season ticket prices have been released but not match day tickets, does anyone know how much a match will cost, wouldn't be able to commit to it every week

Pure Sound wrote: »
    I see the season ticket prices have been released but not match day tickets, does anyone know how much a match will cost, wouldn't be able to commit to it every week

Dunno what price has been set. I would guess €10-€12. Assuming the division will have 8 teams, the €99 ticket is based on 14 home games. That's about €7 a game. If a match every two weeks or so isn't possible for you, fair enough, but otherwise, it's pretty good value imo.

Dunno what price has been set. I would guess €10-€12. Assuming the division will have 8 teams, the €99 ticket is based on 14 home games. That's about €7 a game. If a match every two weeks or so isn't possible for you, fair enough, but otherwise, it's pretty good value imo.

Great value! Wish I was living back home so I could bring my kids to Terryland, just like I did at their age.

Great value! Wish I was living back home so I could bring my kids to Terryland, just like I did at their age.

Assuming you haven't emigrated, the First Division will be a bit of a tour of Ireland, so there will be an opportunity to see a game. Donegal, Dublin, Cork, Galway, Longford, Waterford and Wexford, plus a few cup games.

• Advertisement

Assuming you haven't emigrated, the First Division will be a bit of a tour of Ireland, so there will be an opportunity to see a game. Donegal, Dublin, Cork, Galway, Longford, Waterford and Wexford, plus a few cup games.

Did you mention Canada? ;)

Did you mention Canada? ;)

Well in that case youtube highlights will have to do you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Mullo

Galway United Black Friday season ticket promotion launching in the new next few minutes : http://galwayunitedfc.ie/season-tickets/

Advertisement