Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a new xbox, help!

Options
  • 28-03-2012 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Right here's the situation,

I have an xbox at the moment not sure what GB it is, all it says is HDD on the hard drive, its about 5 or 6 years old.

It got the 3 red lights on it there last week and AFAIK that means its Fcked.

So I want to buy a new one and I'm wondering were the best place to do so would be? I'm not looking for any games, controllers ,etc, I just want the box itself with the power supply and av cable.

Could I buy say one the lower end GB models and put my own hard drive into it(as altough I don't know what GB mine is it has enough space on it for my needs).

Any help would be appreciated.

B2010.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

GAME :pac:

You can purchase an Arcade model which comes with no HDD and thus should be cheaper. I did this when mine died last and picked one up in HMV for ~€100

As for the where? It really depends on the shops. You need to shop around as any of the shops could be doing a better deal at any time. HMV or Gamestop are probably your best bet but I'd check others anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

Orim wrote: »
    GAME :pac:

You can purchase an Arcade model which comes with no HDD and thus should be cheaper. I did this when mine died last and picked one up in HMV for ~€100

As for the where? It really depends on the shops. You need to shop around as any of the shops could be doing a better deal at any time. HMV or Gamestop are probably your best bet but I'd check others anyway.

Can you put a hard drive into/onto the arcade model?

Yes. Sorry should have clarified that.

Great job much appreciated.

Its really simple then I'll I need to do is buy the arcade model xbox console put my old hard drive into it and I'm away playing as normal?

I'll be able to play online and use all the usual features as well yes?

Yup no bothers.

The only thing to be concerned about is that the older models of Xbox have pretty much be discontinued afaik so it may be difficult to upgrade your HDD if it turns there's not much space on it. So it would be worth keeping an eye out for any decent deals on the newer S model.

• Advertisement

Yup no bothers.

The only thing to be concerned about is that the older models of Xbox have pretty much be discontinued afaik so it may be difficult to upgrade your HDD if it turns there's not much space on it. So it would be worth keeping an eye out for any decent deals on the newer S model.

Well I was using the xbox up until last week and it was able to hold all the latest updates, The new dashboard, youtube etc...

Is that what you mean?

I don't really play the xbox that much so don't really want to fork out a few hundred on the new slim.

You should be grand then. As I say the worry would just be if you wanted to update the HDD later on but if you don't use it much then any size of HDD should do the job grand.

You should be grand then. As I say the worry would just be if you wanted to update the HDD later on but if you don't use it much then any size of HDD should do the job grand.

Sorry I don't want to sound like an egjit but what do you mean by updating the HDD?

I just meant getting a larger one. So let's say that your current one is 20GB down the line you might decide you want more storage space so you'd have to buy a new one.

As I said above this could become harder as time goes on.

Ok think I get you now, so your saying altough I'm happy with the HDD I have now I'd have to but the new slim model if I ever wanted to upgrade the HDD as they dont make the older model anymore? So I suppose your also saying it could be a waste buying the arcade model one now and then deciding next year that I need more space?

Could I not just buy a bigger hard drive then and put it in the arcade one?

Which leads me the question can you transfer data from one hard drive to another?

• Advertisement

OK so I've been thinking about this, I've two options now really and don't know what to do?

1. I buy the arcade model xbox and put my current hard drive onto this.

2. I buy the new slim model and transfer the data from my current hard drive onto the new hard drive.

The question is why would I want to pay an extra 100+euro for the slim model?

*****************************************************************************************************

Right fck it I've decided not to buy the older type ones because of the risk of the rrod.

I'm going to buy the new 250GB slim, what price can I expect to pay and were will be the cheapest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

OK so I've been thinking about this, I've two options now really and don't know what to do?

1. I buy the arcade model xbox and put my current hard drive onto this.

2. I buy the new slim model and transfer the data from my current hard drive onto the new hard drive.

The question is why would I want to pay an extra 100+euro for the slim model?

My advice, if you can afford it, is to buy the new slim model with the 250Gb HDD.

It's quieter, more reliable and you'll have loads of space for DLC.

You can then install all your games to the HDD (although your disk will have to be in the drive for verification) which will aid your console to run cooler and quieter and also reduce the chance of your disks cracking from use.

Plus it has built in wifi receiver, unlike the older model.

Trust me, it'll be money well spent. You'll always run a high risk of RRoD on the older models!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

You could also buy the new Slim 4GB (i.e. no hard drive) and use your old hard drive in that. Its not plug and play, but doable with some messing.

My advice, if you can afford it, is to buy the new slim model with the 250Gb HDD.

It's quieter, more reliable and you'll have loads of space for DLC.

You can then install all your games to the HDD (although your disk will have to be in the drive for verification) which will aid your console to run cooler and quieter and also reduce the chance of your disks cracking from use.

Plus it has built in wifi receiver, unlike the older model.

Trust me, it'll be money well spent. You'll always run a high risk of RRoD on the older models!

Yeah your right, I'm going to buy the slim 250GB model.:eek: MONEY!

Once you install the game the first time on the console, do you need to have the disc in the drive every time thereafter?

Yes. The disc is still used for verifacation. But it's only a quick spin at start up.

Is it worth getting kinect? Would I be missing out big time by not having it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Is it worth getting kinect? Would I be missing out big time by not having it?

No, you wouldn't be missing out on very much at all.

Very few games actually have it integrated well at the moment... well, "mature" games, anyway.

In saying that, check out the kinect implementation on Ghost Recon: Future Soldier which is due for release in a few months.

However, if you are a tech nut, then you might like the idea of navigating the dashboard through kinect's voice commands... or having the console recognise you and automatically signing you in. Kinect has some neath features but nothing that you'd loose sleep over missing out on.

They are supposed to implement Skype into it... soon, which I think will be brilliant for families that have to huddle around a PC cam to talk to relatives and friends. It'll basically turn your TV into a huge TV phone.

Personally, I think they should give Kinect the "HAL 9000" voice... could you imagine that!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Firstly I would contact MS as to whether they would consider doing a replacement or repair for you. It's outside the 3 year period but well worth a shot.

You can get a hard drive kit to transfer stuff across and dont forget that USb keys can now hold a serious amount.

No, you wouldn't be missing out on very much at all.

Very few games actually have it integrated well at the moment... well, "mature" games, anyway.

In saying that, check out the kinect implementation on Ghost Recon: Future Soldier which is due for release in a few months.

However, if you are a tech nut, then you might like the idea of navigating the dashboard through kinect's voice commands... or having the console recognise you and automatically signing you in. Kinect has some neath features but nothing that you'd loose sleep over missing out on.

They are supposed to implement Skype into it... soon, which I think will be brilliant for families that have to huddle around a PC cam to talk to relatives and friends. It'll basically turn your TV into a huge TV phone.

Personally, I think they should give Kinect the "HAL 9000" voice... could you imagine that!!! :D

Just the response I wanted I really didn't want to have to spend more money:D

I'm thinking of getting the console in Argos its 250euro there, could it be got for much cheaper anywhere else you reckon?

Lantus wrote: »
    Firstly I would contact MS as to whether they would consider doing a replacement or repair for you. It's outside the 3 year period but well worth a shot.

You can get a hard drive kit to transfer stuff across and dont forget that USb keys can now hold a serious amount.

I registered the console on the xbox website there a while ago and the warranty was up in May 08, so just a few years late there:D

I probably could get my own fixed but in the longer run I reckon I'll be better off with the newer model.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Just the response I wanted I really didn't want to have to spend more money:D

I'm thinking of getting the console in Argos its 250euro there, could it be got for much cheaper anywhere else you reckon?

HMV do it for €229 with a new release game, that seems to be the cheapest at the moment

Well I finally bit the bullet and purchased the new slim model.

Ordered it from Amazon today along with TW13, looking forward to getting it....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I was in the same situation as the OP. I bought a 4gb Slim and followed the instructions on youtube for transferring my old hard drive into the new machine. Basically if you remove your old hard drive from its casing, it will fit into the new model no problem. Back up and running with all my old saves etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,406 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I am thinking about getting a 360 cos I really want to play the original Mass Effect.

On Amazon the 4GB is only 130 pounds and the 250GB is 160 pounds.

I assume that its better to get the big one though in order to install games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

noodler wrote: »
    I am thinking about getting a 360 cos I really want to play the original Mass Effect.

On Amazon the 4GB is only 130 pounds and the 250GB is 160 pounds.

I assume that its better to get the big one though in order to install games.

Absolutely, you'd be mad to buy a 4GB IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SteM

I had an original xbox that I just used to play old games but mainly to stream video from my PC over wired LAN using XBMC.

I'd look to pick up a 360 for games but I would use it for playing MP4 video a lot. Does the 360 have a LAN port or would I have to use wireless? I'd prefer to stream video using a wired connection. Also, will the 360 play MP4 files can anyone tell me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

SteM wrote: »
    I had an original xbox that I just used to play old games but mainly to stream video from my PC over wired LAN using XBMC.

I'd look to pick up a 360 for games but I would use it for playing MP4 video a lot. Does the 360 have a LAN port or would I have to use wireless? I'd prefer to stream video using a wired connection. Also, will the 360 play MP4 files can anyone tell me?
    Yes to both accounts

Well the xbox arrived this morning, really pleaed with it so far. I knew it was going to be smaller but I was actually still quite surprised how small it is compared to the original, it also amazingly quite, my original one sounded like a woman giving birth.

I'm just wondering about one thing, I've the console plugged into an adaptor which in turn is obviously plugged into the socket in the wall, when I turn the console off the brick goes orange(stand by mode) as expected but when I plug it out at the wall the brick stays orange for a few seconds it then turns red for half a second before going off, is this normal?

• Advertisement
Advertisement