Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Tax Disk

• 28-03-2012 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

My tax disk was stolen off my bike a good while back, but I just kept putting it on the long finger. Anyway I got pulled at a checkpoint a few weeks back. No problems, but it made think it's time to sort it out.

So anyone know what the procedure is about getting a new disk issued, do I have to report the disk as stolen? Or anything like that? I have been ringing the Tax Office in Louth at morning but I'm not getting an answer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

From here

Replacing a lost tax disc
    It is possible to obtain replacement documents associated with motor tax. List of documents and the cost of their replacement is as follows;

Document Replacement cost
    Tax disc €6
    Registration book/certificate €12
    Vehicle licensing certificate €12

To obtain replacement documents, complete form RF134 (pdf) and have this form witnessed by a member of the Garda Siochana at a Garda station. Forward your completed form with the appropriate fee to your Motor Tax Office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    From here

Replacing a lost tax disc
    It is possible to obtain replacement documents associated with motor tax. List of documents and the cost of their replacement is as follows;

Document Replacement cost
    Tax disc €6
    Registration book/certificate €12
    Vehicle licensing certificate €12

To obtain replacement documents, complete form RF134 (pdf) and have this form witnessed by a member of the Garda Siochana at a Garda station. Forward your completed form with the appropriate fee to your Motor Tax Office.

Cheers mate, I get that filled in at the local cop shop if I can get them there over the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I just carry mine with me. Not sure if you are required to display it at all times, but in 12 years, I've never had any hassle about it, even when pulled over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I think you are required to display it at all times (I don't know if this is purely for convenience at checkpoints or what) but I do the same as you, have it in the little plastic pouch with my licence and insurance (partly because I've only had the bike about 5 months and I keep forgetting to buy one) and never had any questions asked, yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

I took a colour copy of the tax disc, and have the copy on display on the bike at all times. I do it because I have the bike parked outside on pavement during office hours most working days. So apart from the possible accusation of trying to forge a legal document, I am all in the clear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

I just carry mine with me. Not sure if you are required to display it at all times, but in 12 years, I've never had any hassle about it, even when pulled over.

Its supposed to be displayed at all times when it is on a public roadway, even when you're not on the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Its supposed to be displayed at all times when it is on a public roadway, even when you're not on the bike.

Correct. I believe traffic wardens can issue fines for non-display of tax discs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Simona1986 wrote: »

Interesting. If I ever did get fined, I'd contest it and say that it was displayed but someone nicked it after I parked, but before the traffic warden arrived. :D

I've been stopped at dozens of checkpoints over the years, and have always presented my licence/insurance/tax disc from my jacket pocket. Not once has the Gardai ever commented on this. I guess they are just very tolerant about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Correct. I believe traffic wardens can issue fines for non-display of tax discs.

I actually think someone posted on here not so long ago saying they got done this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 PIKOMAN

Hi, How many working days did it take for the tax office to send you out a replacement tax disc? Ive been waiting about 2 weeks now.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

When I bought my bike the tax disc was displayed correctly on the LEFT HAND SIDE down at the swing arm, got stopped in meath at a checkpoint. And the pork chop walks around my bike and tells me I have no tax!!!

I said Wha'? - it there on the left hand side, he looks again and says and I quote "Get that disc where its meant to be on the BACK OF THE BIKE!!"

So its been there ever since hiding a digit or three of my reg on the back the fookin mongo! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

PIKOMAN wrote: »
    Hi, How many working days did it take for the tax office to send you out a replacement tax disc? Ive been waiting about 2 weeks now.
    Thanks

I never got around to it, and it up at the end of the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭ratracer

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    When I bought my bike the tax disc was displayed correctly on the LEFT HAND SIDE down at the swing arm, got stopped in meath at a checkpoint. And the pork chop walks around my bike and tells me I have no tax!!!

I said Wha'? - it there on the left hand side, he looks again and says and I quote "Get that disc where its meant to be on the BACK OF THE BIKE!!"

So its been there ever since hiding a digit or three of my reg on the back the fookin mongo! :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I never knew there was a 'correct' place on the bike for a tax disc, guess I'd better move mine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

Got stopped yesterday and the Garda was laughing as he pushed my disc back up, I'd never noticed it was blocking part of the reg;)

I think technically it has to be displayed to the front and on the windscreen, at least that's where discs need to be for cars. My ability to search our Statute Book is lacking or the search function is lacking, so I can't find the correct statute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

AFAIK, its the left had side of the bike, like up the north. The MOT and Tax has to be displayed at all times on the left or they chop off a finger on your throttle hand :p

Either way it depends on who you get at a checkpoint TBH, I have been lucky enough all the same. Even going up north for the cookstown, tanders and Northwest we hit a few checkpoints but all was good.

I think the prok chops hate a small reg more then a large reg covered a little bit TBH.

Advertisement