Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black spot on cat's gum

• 28-03-2012 3:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

I have a ginger tom cat who is approximately 8 years old.
    In the last week or so, he has developed a black spot on his lower gum/lip.

It seemed to appear overnight, but was probably more gradual. The dark spot is not raised,, not dry, and seems to be simply part of his skin.

It's not causing him any distress whatsoever, and his teeth are perfect, and his health in general is spot on.

I read today that these are common on ginger cats particularly, and are a bit like age spots.

I have called my vet who told me to keep an eye on it and to come in if it increases in size, or if I want to get it checked out before he's due his annual boosters (in a couple of months).

Just wanted to know if anyone here has any experience of it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

My 6 year old terrier has developed a similar black spot on his lower lip too so will be interested to see any answers too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

My 4 yr old ginger male has those too - he has lots more than one, they come and go, I think they're normal. He also has lots of black whiskers:)

Advertisement