Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITB SU Elections 2012

Options
  • 28-03-2012 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭

It's that time of year again folks.

Time for people to vote for the candidate they think will do the best job, the most popular candidate, the candidate who gets the most friends to vote for them.

But definitely, not the candidate with the best poster. Some of the posters this year are woeful.

/rant

ANYWAY, if you're running, feel free to promote yourself, post your manifesto etc all in this thread.
    New to the forum - Please read the charter before posting.

Someone better than me will throw up who's running.
    ELECTION DAY
    Voting will take place from 10am-6pm in the Sports Hall. ITB student cards will be required to vote. All registered ITB students (full-time, part-time, apprentices) are eligible to vote. All students are encouraged to vote.

At 6pm, the counting of votes will commence, organised by the Election Officer. Each candidate may nominate one observer to attend the count on their behalf. No mobile phones can be used by any observers for the duration of the count process.

At 7pm, all candidates will be invited to the Sports Hall where they will be informed of the result of each election.

At 7:30pm, the results will be sent by email by the Election Officer to all students.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Just realised voting was tomorrow. And not a single candidate graced our poor little forum with their presance. For shame :pac:

Did anyone catch the debates yesterday??

If it was based on posters alone, most of them should be thrown out of college :pac:

Seen the current president at the college at 20:30 tonight out cleaning with the caretakers, fair play to him, so he'll get my vote. As for the others, I'll probably do an eenie meenie miny mo on the day :D

I think Paul recorded the debate for Phoenix FM?

As for the others, I'll probably do an eenie meenie miny mo on the day :D

You have restored my faith in democracy :pac:

Saw one girls poster in the style of 'next top model' or whatever, and it didn't even have her name on it?!

618px-JeanLucPicardFacepalm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

KonFusion wrote: »
    You have restored my faith in democracy :pac:

Saw one girls poster in the style of 'next top model' or whatever, and it didn't even have her name on it?!

I have heard that particular girl is only going up because she thinks she can block a current female SU member from getting president... fairly ****ty if you ask me!

I wouldn't vote for the current guy, mostly because the guy never has given so much as a nod or a 'howiya' to me or anyone that I have seen other that the sports management students! Plus significant lack of attendance at rep meetings, student forum etc.

Lola92 wrote: »
    I have heard that particular girl is only going up because she thinks she can block a current female SU member from getting president... fairly ****ty if you ask me!

I wouldn't vote for the current guy, mostly because the guy never has given so much as a nod or a 'howiya' to me or anyone that I have seen other that the sports management students! Plus significant lack of attendance at rep meetings, student forum etc.

Well (if true) she's doing a fooking terrible job of it.

I find the SU Elections, much like all other voting, is about picking the lesser of several evils :pac:

I'll vote Matthew for ent's, think about who else to vote for, give up, write "Jon Snow for President!" and leave it at that.

And spend the rest of the year complaining about whoever got elected :P

• Advertisement

Well (if true) she's doing a fooking terrible job of it.

I find the SU Elections, much like all other voting, is about picking the lesser of several evils :pac:

I'll vote Matthew for ent's, think about who else to vote for, give up, write "Jon Snow for President!" and leave it at that.

And spend the rest of the year complaining about whoever got elected :P

KonFusion for president 2k13!! :P

In my stress of having to leave home early this morning for a presentation I forgot my wallet, leaving my student card and drivers licence at home so I can't even vote!! Oh, and no lunch for me.

False promises to canvassers to get sweets it is ;)

KonFusion for president 2k13!! :P
    +1 :D

I suppose I should probably go up and vote now. Like Kon, I'll vote for Matthew, for the simple reason, I know him years! As for the others, I have already said when I am going to do :P

Since this will probably be my last year, I don't really care about the outcome...

Whoever is DJ-ing in the canteen is fupping atrocious :mad::mad::mad:

My ears are bleeding..:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

Is it now a "campaign strategy" to go onto the SU's FB page and add as many people as possible? Got like two friend requests from candidates for two different positions and I've never met the people at all.

If I had bothered to go in today I would of voted for Aideen, as when the current C&S Officer seemed to disappear she really looked after us and was only very professional and proper.

How people could vote for Darragh is beyond me. If nothing else his poster would hardly inspire confidence in a boardroom situation would it? That and decisions like the parking (correct me if I'm wrong on that one now please), the freshers week hoodies (bought WAY too many), the SU robbery, that and he seems to be all talk. Oh oh and the no subject in e-mails things pisses me off royally!! Can't deal with another year of them!!

I saw the girl's "Next Top Model" style poster and thought "Well, there's someone I won't be voting for". It's actually as if she's trying to see if she can get elected purely on looks and not one issue or topic. Nice one love, try a picture where your not caked in makeup next time yeah.

Does anybody know who's actually running for C&S Officer this year? Didn't notice one poster for that myself.

Drodan wrote: »
    Does anybody know who's actually running for C&S Officer this year? Didn't notice one poster for that myself.

Whoever was nominated was unopposed, so they didn't need posters etc. They won automatically.

Dunno why there was so many people running for ent's and only one for C&S.

EDIT:

Results are out. I've omitted their last name.
    The following are the Student Union Election Results

This year there was a 16% increase in the number of overall votes

Entertainments Officer – Total votes – 779, spoilt votes - 17
    Daniel 160
    Brian 481
    Matthew 121

Vice-President – Total votes – 781, spoilt votes – 8
    Andrew 169
    Kate 219
    Stephen 163
    Meliha 222

President – Total votes – 780, spoilt votes – 7
    Leah-Ann 154
    Aideen 169
    Kevin 150
    Darragh 300

Niall as the only candidate for Clubs and Society is duly elected also

Congratulations to all the candidates on an excellent campaign and hard luck to those who did not make it this time

So congrats to Darragh voted in again as Pres, Meliha as Vice, Brian as Ent's, and Niall as C&S.

I for one welcome our new overlords :P

• Advertisement

So congrats to Darragh voted in again as Pres, Meliha as Vice, Brian as Ent's, and Niall as C&S.

I for one welcome our new overlords :P

Well you are the only one :P

I wan't impressed with Darragh or Brian this year, doubt there will be any change next year. Best of luck to Meliha andNiall anyway!

Glad to see popularity over substance won out again. Wonder if some on the same things will continue next year

Glad to see popularity over substance won out again.

Has it ever been any different? :pac:

I'd expect much the same as last year tbh.

Sad to see Matthew didn't get ent's. Would have thought he'd do a good job. Hated all the socials this year.

Looking forward to seeing what kind of job the C&S officer does. It can only be a step up really...

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

I wouldn't vote for the current guy, mostly because the guy never has given so much as a nod or a 'howiya' to me or anyone that I have seen other that the sports management students

To be fair, I doubt he's ignoring you on purpose, it's hard to stay know/say hi to everyone in a college of 3000+ people. Darragh has an open door policy to all students and is genuinely really friendly, just pop up to him and make yourself known to him. Granted I'm saying this as a friend of his, and a Sports Mgmt student who spends a lot of time up there and helps out with a lot of things for him, but we don't bite come up and say hello.

Right I'm going to call you up on a lot of this:
    If I had bothered to go in today I would of voted for Aideen, as when the current C&S Officer seemed to disappear she really looked after us and was only very professional and proper.
    I have a lot of time for Aideen, but you're alluding that she was the only one who did anything when Ciara went on placement, which is a lie. I know for a face Darragh did a massive amount of work for the C&S but maybe Aideen just dealt with your particular society.
    How people could vote for Darragh is beyond me. If nothing else his poster would hardly inspire confidence in a boardroom situation would it?
    Hardly the most pressing issue as to a good candidate
    That and decisions like the parking (correct me if I'm wrong on that one now please)
    I'd correct you if I knew what you were talking about, but to be honest I don't think you know yourself. What decisions did he make?
    the freshers week hoodies (bought WAY too many)
    That was a decision made by the union and not just Darragh, AFAIK he was actually against more against the idea than for it. Also you forgot to mention that all the hoodies that weren't sold went to charity.
    the SU robbery,
    Wait, are you really blaming somebody who knew what they were doing, breaking into a locked student union office and stealing x amount of money on one person? Why are you laying the blame squarely on Darragh and no one else in the union? Although to be fair, I wouldn't blame anyone in the union for that.
    that and he seems to be all talk.
    Go on...

To be honest Alan, I'm really surprised at your rant considering how much of it is unsubstantiated and how much Darragh fought your corner at the start of the year...

Niall Byrne ran unopposed.

Delighted Meliha won vice, she's genuinely really nice and will do a great job. Also delighted Kate didn't win, nothing against her but I really don't think anyone who goes on placement for over half the year can do a competent job.

Leejo wrote: »
    To be fair, I doubt he's ignoring you on purpose, it's hard to stay know/say hi to everyone in a college of 3000+ people. Darragh has an open door policy to all students and is genuinely really friendly, just pop up to him and make yourself known to him. Granted I'm saying this as a friend of his, and a Sports Mgmt student who spends a lot of time up there and helps out with a lot of things for him, but we don't bite come up and say hello.

That wasn't the point though, I never suggested he ignored me. To be honest I couldn't give two monkeys if the guy doesn't say hi to me everyday. I don't particularly want or need him to. My point though was that he has never seemed overly friendly with anyone outside of Sports Management, to what I have seen anyway. I have been up in the SU office on several occasions as a rep but haven't even gotten a look up or that coming in the door when he is there, so it is not a case of making myself known. Also as I stated above Aideen always seemed much more available and willing to help with anything or even just for a chat if you wanted it and was more of a support to me as a rep.

Anyway this is all academic really considering the guy has been elected again already and there is nothing can be done about it now. Hopefully he will do a better job this year.

Right I'm going to call you up on a lot of this:

I have a lot of time for Aideen, but you're alluding that she was the only one who did anything when Ciara went on placement, which is a lie. I know for a face Darragh did a massive amount of work for the C&S but maybe Aideen just dealt with your particular society.

Read my original statement again there yeah. Never said Darragh didn't work for other clubs or socs, just that Aideen helped us out loads with invoices and the hoodies. Darragh has told us that one if not two budget requests which were granted in the meetings no longer exist, cheques are gone apparently.
    Hardly the most pressing issue as to a good candidate

Kind of key to a candidate is it not? Would you vote for someone looking to get into government who's poster was them with a pint and a caption of "Sure it'll be some craic!" or what ever his slogan was? If nothing else is presents an image which is detrimental to the good work he could be doing.
    I'd correct you if I knew what you were talking about, but to be honest I don't think you know yourself. What decisions did he make? That was a decision made by the union and not just Darragh, AFAIK he was actually against more against the idea than for it. Also you forgot to mention that all the hoodies that weren't sold went to charity

If you have that many hoodies made putting the freshers week flyer on them was not a good decision, and the information you seem to have differs greatly to what I was informed. It's great that the remaining went to charity and arn't just sitting in an empty room somewhere, but there shouldn't of been that many left is my point.
    Wait, are you really blaming somebody who knew what they were doing, breaking into a locked student union office and stealing x amount of money on one person? Why are you laying the blame squarely on Darragh and no one else in the union? Although to be fair, I wouldn't blame anyone in the union for that. Go on...

The SU being robbed was obviously a very unfortunate incident and a similar thing happened to a friend of mine in another college. Personally, and what my friend openly says now, knowing how much money was involved there is no way I would of left that amount of money in an office, ever, even just as a precaution.
    To be honest Alan, I'm really surprised at your rant considering how much of it is unsubstantiated and how much Darragh fought your corner at the start of the year...

Clearly we're working off two different sets of information. Darragh is a nice bloke but I'm merely of the opinion that Aideen would of done a better job. You can like it, you can lump it, but it's my opinion.

And believe me, what you think you know about "my corner" from the start of the year, you don't know the half of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ratlag

Ok coming from someone who knows Darragh quite well at this stage, I have a few things to say on the last post and on this Forum in General.

Firstly nobody was ever told that any cheques "were gone" or that budget amounts "no longer exist" as the Ultimate Frisbee Society were actually one of the best financed Societies in the college, mainly due to Darragh wanting to get it up and running because it was something new and different.

As regards the hoddies, it was Darragh who put the order in and hounded the company to ensure that they were in the college for your big event.

His Slogan was actually "Mcgill Will" not "Sure it'll be some craic", so that just shows you didnt really pay much attention to his campaign at all, as your mind must have already been made up......kinda contradicts your earlier comments about a good democracry and election!!!

As for the info on the Hoodys differing greatly to what you were informed??? Its exactly the same as what was on the facebook, sent out in emails and on theposters/banner they used so where exactly did you get your info from exactly???

And as for the fighting your corner, im pretty sure that he did everything he could, helped you whenever you went up and asked for something and never once turned you away and said he wouldnt try to find out the info you needed. I dont know much about it as he is very sincere when it comes to student confidentiality but I know the man himself and the type of person he is.

Fair enough you think Aideen would have been better for the job, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect that, but what I cant respect is posting what is essentially a "bitching" forum about someone on a site they are not a member of so that they cant defend themselves, when you havnt got the balls/decency to say it to the lads face!!! It was his first year in the job and yea he made mistakes but it was still an improovement on the previous years in most areas and I have personally witnessed that when people bring a problem to him about how he is doing something or behaving himself that he has no problem in altering himself if needs be.

All in all I think this is the last place to be airing "issues" about the Union or Darragh If your not going to be decent enough to bring your problem to the source and try to sort it out, then keep it to yourslef because there is nothing worse than talking about someone behind there back when they have no way to defend themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ratlag

How people could vote for Darragh is beyond me. That and decisions like the parking (correct me if I'm wrong on that one now please), .

I would also like to question this one??? Did you bother going to the debate or talking to ANY of the current SU members??? DArragh or the current union made NO decisions on the parking, but have been working on it all year to try and have it improoved for next year. But seeing as you seem to be oh to willing to point out the bad points, perhaps you could offer us a possible solution??? Darragh held a meeting alongside Aideen, Brian and Ciara at the start of the year to look for solutions and nobady came up with anything, all people seem to want ot do it this college is moan and complain and everyone else!!! If your not happy with it THEN TRY TO COME UP WITH A SOLUTION AND HELP!!!!!!

Ah here people are taking this as a person attack on Darragh and it's not. I completely said correct me if I'm wrong about the parking situation as I was going off information I told from other people, I have been corrected, I withdraw the statement, that's fair enough.

I like Darragh, always gotten on well with him when ever I've chatted to him and has helped us out, other members of the club have dealt with him more how ever. And let it not be misunderstood I am very grateful to Darragh for doing what he could for the club.

With regards to the cheques, I'm going off what other members of the club have told me as they were dealing with it, so lets not shoot the messenger shall we. It might be right, it might be wrong, I'm just going off what I was told and that's it. I will say how ever you don't know the ins and outs of what someone was and wasn't told, and are essentially calling a close friend a liar, so unless you were actually in the office at the time, stay out of it.

There are things I could be posting up on this that I've heard, but are hearsay among other things, and as for my situation I could mention things but won't because it's kind of pointless now at this stage. I'm not going to get into an argument on the internet about it.

I'll leave it as he's a sound guy, got things right, got things wrong, I would of voted for Aideen but he has been elected again, by some margin, so by all means I wish him the best for the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

Ah here people are taking this as a person attack on Darragh and it's not. I completely said correct me if I'm wrong about the parking situation as I was going off information I told from other people, I have been corrected, I withdraw the statement, that's fair enough.

I like Darragh, always gotten on well with him when ever I've chatted to him and has helped us out, other members of the club have dealt with him more how ever. And let it not be misunderstood I am very grateful to Darragh for doing what he could for the club.

With regards to the cheques, I'm going off what other members of the club have told me as they were dealing with it, so lets not shoot the messenger shall we. It might be right, it might be wrong, I'm just going off what I was told and that's it. I will say how ever you don't know the ins and outs of what someone was and wasn't told, and are essentially calling a close friend a liar, so unless you were actually in the office at the time, stay out of it.

There are things I could be posting up on this that I've heard, but are hearsay among other things, and as for my situation I could mention things but won't because it's kind of pointless now at this stage. I'm not going to get into an argument on the internet about it.

I'll leave it as he's a sound guy, got things right, got things wrong, I would of voted for Aideen but he has been elected again, by some margin, so by all means I wish him the best for the following year.

To be honest, I know you probably didn't mean it as a personal attack on him but in your first post it certainly came across as it, especially when you brought up issues against him that you yourself were wrong/misinformed about or things that he had nothing to do with.

I'll leave it as it is as most things are covered in the post above, but as for not knowing about "Your situation", You're right, I don't know much about it, only from you talking about it on here, hearing from mutual friends and from you talking to Darragh about it while I've been in the office, but I don't think I was wrong in what I said that he fought in your corner over it?

One last thing, genuine question here, you said:
    The SU being robbed was obviously a very unfortunate incident and a similar thing happened to a friend of mine in another college. Personally, and what my friend openly says now, knowing how much money was involved there is no way I would of left that amount of money in an office, ever, even just as a precaution.

Does that mean that your friend made the same mistake, and after making the mistake he now knows not to leave that much money alone?

Also, it's worth noting that the money was in a locked room, in a locked box and there was still members of the SU working in the college at the time, who also had stuff stolen in the robbery. So it's not as if everyone had gone home and left it lying around. I know that's not what you're alluding to, but I think it's worth noting

• Advertisement
Advertisement