Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you send your child to school with their books covered in wallpaper

• 28-03-2012 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭

and other odd things that we did, that we thought were normal. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Those were the days :D Mine were white, with a sort of pebbledash effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

During the Celtic Tiger years I sent my kids to school with their books covered in decking. Untrue, I don't have any kids. Or decking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

yep i do all the time...no big deal

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I had brown sheet paper on mine, kinda of like what you'd find on a chip bag.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I tried varnishing them but it didn't really work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I won a bible because of it once :). It was covering my sponsorship card in second class iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i did cover my books with the wallpaper leftovers, it would be one pattern for the english, another for irish books, another for the maths and so on, so at a glance i could pick up books, no fumbling around, if my children did not mind i would of course, it would be more hardwaring than other covers

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

I used to turn it inside out, so the plain beige back showed.

people accused me of having KVI wallpaper from crazy prices.

the joke was on them, I bought all my wallpaper from Michael Guinneys or that other shop on Thomas Street where I got my communion outfit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Nowadays it's more trendy to just paper one side, it's called a 'feature page'

Paint the other side a nice magnolia, it goes with everything

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

We were so poor, I didn't have any covers on my schoolbooks. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Whatever preserves them to be sold on when not in use anymore works for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

We had the wallpapered books all through primary school ... I remember one time, the wallpaper ran out, and my dad used Corkflakes boxes to cover a couple of them. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

my brother used newspaper to cover his books.... he still wraps xmas presents with newspaper to this day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

My journal fell apart so my dad created a cover out of a Medal of Honour Rising Sun booklet. It was fcuking awesome. My teachers hated it but everyone in the class loved it and thought it was amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

My journal fell apart so my dad created a cover out of a Medal of Honour Rising Sun booklet. It was fcuking awesome. My teachers hated it but everyone in the class loved it and thought it was amazing.

Is a journal a copybook?

Not being a smartarse, just wondering!
    (At least; we used to call them copybooks as far as I remember?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

a journal was where you wrote down your homework and teachers and parents wrote notes to each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I remember some lads in school used to have the fancy clear plastic covering.
    Posh w*nkers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I remember some lads in school used to have the fancy clear plastic covering.
    Posh w*nkers!

I had those on mine :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

The books were heavy enough as it was for a 12 year old pre-pubescient 5 ft tall schoolkid. Pretty sure they're the reason I've got spine problems now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

There was a kid in my class in 1st class who had wrestling birthday wrapping paper. I think it was the most jealous I've ever been in my life.

• Advertisement

phasers wrote: »
    a journal was where you wrote down your homework and teachers and parents wrote notes to each other.

Yeah and then your parents had to sign it every thursday night to acknowledge that they had perused it for a note from the teacher.

One week I got 5 notes home!
    And I was a good nerdy D&D playing kid, not a bowsy at all.
    Did I show it to my mother? did I f**k! I signed that b1tch myself and then ripped the page out after presenting it to my teacher on friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Friel

token101 wrote: »
    There was a kid in my class in 1st class who had wrestling birthday wrapping paper. I think it was the most jealous I've ever been in my life.

There was always one who pulled out all the stops :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

never ever would i do that to my kids... i still remember Mark Hannigan from third class picking up my Busy at Maths and shouting out 'look at the state of his ma's wallpaer in the jax'

i think i wont post for awhile now, i'm too upset :(

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

Halloween '91: Mum sent me out in a black plastic bag, vampire teeth, and some strawberry goo stuff that you put on ice cream that I used as blood.

When did Dracula ever wear a black bin liner, Mum? When? Point out the bit in Bram Stoker's novel where he mentions that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

davet82 wrote: »
    never ever would i do that to my kids... i still remember Mark Hannigan from third class picking up my Busy at Maths and shouting out 'look at the state of his ma's wallpaer in the jax'

i think i wont post for awhile now, i'm too upset :(

so funny,

and if you saw somebody with extra horrible book coverings, you'de be saying to yourself....jayses I'm glad I don't live in that house. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Wallpaper, lucky feckers.
    Loaf bread wrappers were the style in my place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Friel wrote: »
    There was always one who pulled out all the stops :(

He was just one of those kids people loved to hate, the Martin Prince of our school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

harmoniums wrote: »
    Yeah and then your parents had to sign it every thursday night to acknowledge that they had perused it for a note from the teacher.

Did I show it to my mother? did I f**k! I signed that b1tch myself and then ripped the page out after presenting it to my teacher on friday.

They number the pages these days I think, to stop pages going "missing".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

my brother used newspaper to cover his books.... he still wraps xmas presents with newspaper to this day.

I have to wrap mine with the internet since I stopped buying newspapers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

phasers wrote: »

Although that makes perfect sense, I've literally never even heard of that before!

Is that common? Were my schools the only ones without journals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Although that makes perfect sense, I've literally never even heard of that before!

Is that common? Were my schools the only ones without journals?

Was the heating in your school a hot potatoe on your lap, by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

My school books were covered in whatever leftover paper was lying around. No wallpaper in our house, but would definitley cover the kid's books with it if we did. It's got to be better than that fidgety contact crap. One of my school journals in the late 80s was covered with loads of little pictures of Axl Rose and Jon Bon Jovi, cut out of magazines. I glued them on, and put loads of sellotape on top. It was cool:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Abi wrote: »
    Was the heating in your school a hot potatoe on your lap, by any chance?

A hot finger in your 'crap' would have been better ;)

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I had plastic covers, oh the joys of being me

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

I was a maverick, so neither my books or journal were covered. I had things written on the covers, though: 'Cool', 'I hate maths', 'School sucks!' etc.

Those squares in the staff room didn't like it, but I did it anyway. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

During the Celtic Tiger years I sent my kids to school with their books covered in decking cocaine. Untrue, I don't have any kids. Or decking.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I was a maverick, so neither my books or journal were covered. I had things written on the covers, though: 'Cool', 'I hate maths', 'School sucks!' etc.

che guevara, is that you?:p

I remember being sent to the staff room during lunch break to get a teacher to relieve the one doing yard duty.

Man you couldn't see in there from all the fags they were horsing into themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

harmoniums wrote: »

My father never paid alot of attention signing stuff so I simply got him to sign it. :D Although eventually a teacher thought I was forging his signature.... :eek: It did look like a child like scrawl to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭SteppingStone

Always had my books covered in wallpaper throughout school. (Awful looking wallpaper) Kept the covers in great condition. Would do it all over again with nice wallpaper :-D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ah yes, back in the days when we were all poor so it didn't matter

And Folens spelling book was used by your brothers and sisters before you
    By the time you got it was several years old and falling to pieces and held together with sellotape and masking tape
    A very good chance there were pages missing
    John Doe1 wrote: »
    I had plastic covers, oh the joys of being me

A rich kid, get him :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

I'm guessing Bertie's kids used up all that big brown Envelope paper that was lying around the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

ah yes - wallpaper all the way. And lazy cover jobs where the old wallpaper wasnt removed -just covered over. Some of my books had one type of wallpaper on the front and then bits of the old wallpaper still stuck on their inside covers...
    And all those free copies your parents got for shopping in dunnes /crazy prices etc. I had a lot of those too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I'm only 18 and my books had wallpaper or brown paper on them in primary school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Ah the free copy books from Quinnsworth! And covering them with wallpaper! And the posh kids had the brown paper! Well we discovered the inner lining of cattle meal (paper) bags was brown paper- so if you removed the outer and inner layer you has loads of the stuff! But wallpaper for the books cos it was sturdier.

And the same Ann and Barry books passed down about 8 times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Wallpaper and the odd time wrapping paper :o Had loads of LFC wrapping paper on some of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Our French teacher in 2nd level said we could use posters! Ian Wright and Smudger Smith on the back of my copies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

In 1st year I cut out game characters from pc/console magazines and my mam used that sticky clear plastic to cover and attach them to the outside. My books were both protected, and awesome! Think I painted my 2nd year journal dark blue, then drew random stuff all over it in Tipex.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭psicic

Ha! Yeah, the kids with brown paper on their books were the posh kids and kids with the clear contact paper were either posh kids or the one with pretentious mas. Everyone else had wallpaper (one year felt real posh because it was really thick wallpaper with one of those embossed effects).

Almost everyone had those bright yellow Quinnsworth copybooks. And if you wanted to get someone in trouble, you'd stick a metallica sticker on the front of their book! (We couldn't use pages from a magazine, for instance, I vaguely recall someone trying to once and he was made change it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Lol, I forgot all about this. Yuup, thems were the days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement