Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you send your child to school with their books covered in wallpaper

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

patwicklow wrote: »
    I'm guessing Bertie's kids used up all that big brown Envelope paper that was lying around the house.

Na, they used Sterling

I covered my journal in school with the Labels from beer bottles, teachers didn't like it, kept telling me to remove them to or cover them, eventually they sent a note home to my parents, I was well hard in school :cool: :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I remember one book covered in something plasticy like a shower curtain , but the touch of it's texture send shivers down my spine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I remember one book covered in something plasticy like a shower curtain , but the touch of it's texture send shivers down my spine

Was it that stuff you would put on a window to make it look frosted with lots of rainbow shape ridges on it? I had that stuff one year, it the noise as you put a book away, would send shivers down your spine, as it rubbed off another book in your back. squirming while I am typing this just thinking about it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Boscoirl wrote: »
    squirming while I am typing this just thinking about it
    yeah something like that and yeah it was cruel and unusual punishment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I had that stick on stuff they used to use to on windows to frost the glass like a bathroom window. So all my books just looked blurred!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

And all those free copies your parents got for shopping in dunnes /crazy prices etc. I had a lot of those too.

I remember those, copies only cost around a pound for a packet anyway, parents must have been very stupid in those days, now it's all tokens for hotel breaks and computers for schools!

I used to have that horrible sticky out wallpaper on my books, you know the one with the flowers which were kind of like a foam and which always ended up being picked off the paper :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,575 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I used to cover mine in comics that I was reading at the time, after a couple of weeks they were in shreds
    I remember in secondary we would change the wording on the front of the books so it would have Bitch instead of Peig or Senior Geography became Senior Crap

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Neonjack

efb wrote: »
    And the same Ann and Barry books passed down about 8 times!

Some of us remember Tom and Nora and Spot the dog.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

clear plastic wrap on this side that plastic was indestructible too :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Neonjack wrote: »

Tom and Nora- were they written in ogham???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Mine were always covered in plastic wrap like an elderly persons couch.

Needless to say every year boring class after boring class was spent tearing it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Why does one need a book covered at all, As i recall most school require books to be covered BUT WHY?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

I remember some lads in school used to have the fancy clear plastic covering.
    Posh w*nkers!

"Contact" :D

We were so poor we had to read the books in the bookshop and transcribe the details onto rolls of wallpaper. Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Why does one need a book covered at all, As i recall most school require books to be covered BUT WHY?

to keep them in some kind of reasonable condition as you had to pass them along to the trail of siblings coming behind you, or sell them second hand to other kids at the school.

no such thing as brand new books for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I am in the market for an ereader, I can't decide which one. But content and for the sheer variety the best is the Ipad, but it weighs to much, I really want the ereader to be light.

But I ask, have school books had their day, is it only a matter of a few years that all the kids will be going to school with just a notebook and an Ipad type device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,575 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

44leto wrote: »

But I ask, have school books had their day, is it only a matter of a few years that all the kids will be going to school with just a notebook and an Ipad type device.

already happening in some schools here

Tin foil is the best!
    You don't need sellotape or adhesive. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I have to wrap mine with the internet since I stopped buying newspapers.

he still buys newpapers cos he loves doing the crosswords when he takes a dump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Bosca lón and my flask
    The mammy giving a packed lunch every day

Ann and Barry and Murphy the dog.
    Later on they brought in Dusty and Holly, why??

Súgradh, Spraoi agus Sport :)

The nun would come around with magazines, I think one was called Africa.
    They were religious magazines and to do with the Irish missionaries around the world
    Very popular with the grannies, they give you the money to buy them off the nun and then you bring them down.

We had a computer and it was called an Acorn and ran something called Riscos
    The teacher would let us install games from a floppy disk and there was a code hidden in the magazine so you had to type that to verify you owned it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Neonjack wrote: »

Were they before or after Ronan and Áine and Bran the dog?? The Fás books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

It was nearly a religious ceremony in our house that the night before you went back to school the books were covered as they were checked the first day of school to make sure you had all on the list....woe betide the child that didn't have all the books and not covered!...them nuns didn't mess around!!

Still have the log book and bible covered in brown paper with my dad's writing on the front with my name and class number.....

Wonder if bibles are on book lists now?...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Never did this growing up in England. Remember coming back here on holidays and seeing my cousins books covered in wallpaper, and thinking wtf? Have a stepped back in time to the 1950s or something. We thought it was very old fashioned even then (late 80s). I do remember making a Mother's day card at school with wallpaper though!

Thanks be to jaysus it's gone out of fashion now. I have a daughter in school and I'd be far too lazy to be wrapping her books in wallpaper every September. Anyway, nobody seems to use wallpaper nowadays, it's all emulsion. We would have to emulsion the schoolbooks with leftover emulsion and do a little feature square of beige-with-cream-flowers wallpaper on the front :p

Advertisement