Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AV bits'n'piece's

Options
  • 28-03-2012 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Currently renovating a house and looking at putting in a decent (well to me anyways) AV and surround sound system.

I've purchased a Yamaha AV receiver and a set of Boston XS speakers for surround sound as well as a pair of bookshelf speakers for a seperate zone in our kitchen.

Plan is for a 42 inch wall mounted TV, wall mounted side speakers (front and rear) and centre speaker mounted under TV. Goal is to keep it as clean as possible so cables hidden. I plan on having a regular sized AV cabinet below TV which contain receiver, games console, etc and would also hide power sockets and plan to have a subwoofer lined up adjacent to this.

Some questions:

1) Surge protectors/sockets: With AV equipment I've counted will need about 12 plug sockets, whats the best way to handle this? Any recommendations? Also what's the best way to hide that? stick it in a cabinet?

2) Wall mounting speakers: any recommendations on wall plates? or just run speaker cable freely out of a hole in the wall?

3) Cable: any recommendations for in-wall speaker cable?

Many Thanks,

OB.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 AV Carlow

Hi folks,

Currently renovating a house and looking at putting in a decent (well to me anyways) AV and surround sound system.

I've purchased a Yamaha AV receiver and a set of Boston XS speakers for surround sound as well as a pair of bookshelf speakers for a seperate zone in our kitchen.

Plan is for a 42 inch wall mounted TV, wall mounted side speakers (front and rear) and centre speaker mounted under TV. Goal is to keep it as clean as possible so cables hidden. I plan on having a regular sized AV cabinet below TV which contain receiver, games console, etc and would also hide power sockets and plan to have a subwoofer lined up adjacent to this.

Some questions:

1) Surge protectors/sockets: With AV equipment I've counted will need about 12 plug sockets, whats the best way to handle this? Any recommendations? Also what's the best way to hide that? stick it in a cabinet?

2) Wall mounting speakers: any recommendations on wall plates? or just run speaker cable freely out of a hole in the wall?

3) Cable: any recommendations for in-wall speaker cable?

Many Thanks,

OB.

Hi OB

if your renovating, how much renovating are you doing? if the slabs are stripped back from the walls you might want to look at wiring for multi-room audio and video and have all cables run back to a central location(future proof)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Thanks,

Yes, I've considered the options and have data points outlets to most rooms in the house, although its only a semi-d so I'll be able to drive most stuff wirelessly.

I don't want the whole place rigged for sound/video as it would probably be overkill. I've a plan for three rooms downstairs, one which will be the main TV room, a second which will initially have speakers and may get a TV at some stage and a den type room for my sons when they older which will be wired for all.

All these rooms back onto each other so one location in the main TV room will be the source for data, audio and video, and cause the rooms are located beside each other it'll be easy to parse it out.

OB.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I did a bit of renovating a few years back, put in a home cinema and networked the house, ended up buying a lot of my gear and bits and pieces from Kenable in the UK, very good pricing and quick delivery, even if you don't buy off them they have a lot of gear so will give you a good idea of costs.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

slave1 wrote: »
    I did a bit of renovating a few years back, put in a home cinema and networked the house, ended up buying a lot of my gear and bits and pieces from Kenable in the UK, very good pricing and quick delivery, even if you don't buy off them they have a lot of gear so will give you a good idea of costs.

Sound, thanks, lots of stuff in that site.

Advertisement