Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warnings

Options
  • 28-03-2012 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Hi,

If someone was to get a warning within their work place how long does this remain on their record for?

Also, if you were to leave the organisation afterwards, can they tell another potential employer about the disciplinary action?

Regards

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Usually remain on record for ever but only applicable for a given time period (each organization have different time lines).

If asked for a reference they have to tel the truth; so if they were asked if the employee has ever had a disciplinary action against they would risk being sued if they lied and said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You should ask your HR rep for clarification but it's not likely they will pass that on to future companies.
    A lot of companies these days just have a "Yes, s/he worked here between 2003 and 2010" policy and don't give references.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

It depends on your company's procedure.

The last place that I worked verbal warnings were physically removed from the record after 12 months, written after 2 years and final after 5 years.

My current employer retains all warnings in the file, but they inactivate after 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭SteppingStone

You should ask somebody in management or check your contract. My previous employment kept them on record for 6 months but I think it varies from company to company.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

thanks for all your responses guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

If a company does not give references but just statements of employment, how do they tell a prospective employer about the warning? Or is it a case that they will only tell if they are asked?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Ladjacket wrote: »
    If a company does not give references but just statements of employment, how do they tell a prospective employer about the warning? Or is it a case that they will only tell if they are asked?
    Written references are called on to be verified; no company worth their salt bother with a written reference beyond giving a name to ask for at the company.

Advertisement