Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midterm Grade

Options
  • 28-03-2012 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

So I got an E+ in my midterm which was worth 30%, does this mean I have 11% of my final mark?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

gypsy_rose wrote: »
    So I got an E+ in my midterm which was worth 30%, does this mean I have 11% of my final mark?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I'd double check that if I were you. Sometimes you actually have to have passed an exam to be entitled to a percentage from it.

For example if a mid term is worth 20% of the final grade, you score 30% in the exam and the the pass mark is 40%. However you may not be entitled to 6% of the overall grade as you have not reached the pass mark of 40% so you actually get 0%.

Hope that was clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭gypsy_rose

I'd double check that if I were you. Sometimes you actually have to have passed an exam to be entitled to a percentage from it.

For example if a mid term is worth 20% of the final grade, you score 30% in the exam and the the pass mark is 40%. However you may not be entitled to 6% of the overall grade as you have not reached the pass mark of 40% so you actually get 0%.

Hope that was clear.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. So is there any way for me to check besides emailing the lecturer? That'd be a bit embarrassing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

It should say in the course outline. I've never come across that though. What are you studying?

If it makes you feel any better, I got an E in a mid-term last semester worth 25% and got a B- overall.

Yeah, didn't say in the course outline, it would make sense that I got nothing since an E is a fail but maybe I got lucky! I'll email him and report back when he explains it.

• Advertisement

Emailed him, got no response, anyone have any idea? It would be really good to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

gypsy_rose wrote: »
    Emailed him, got no response, anyone have any idea? It would be really good to know!

If it says nothing then I think its safe to assume you are given the marks. It is generally the default position for most courses in UCD that you do not have to pass each component, only overall, apart for some courses like Medicine. What course are you doing?

Was actually just about to write on here! As it turns out, they do count. I looked back over my grades for the past few years and in a couple of labs etc. I got a low mark like an E- minus but it still counted for my final overall grade. I'm doing Zoology.

Advertisement