Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leasing a 2 bed apartment myself....

Options
  • 28-03-2012 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

I'd like to lease a 2 bed apartment myself.

Following on from this, i would then throw up the second room on daft and interview people to move in.

What are the problems with this? I have no problem paying for the whole place myself for a while until i get suitable person.

Basically i want to decide who i live with!

The option of buying my own house or moving in with a friend is not an option.

Any thoughts? Suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

I'd like to lease a 2 bed apartment myself.

Following on from this, i would then throw up the second room on daft and interview people to move in.

What are the problems with this? I have no problem paying for the whole place myself for a while until i get suitable person.

Basically i want to decide who i live with!

The option of buying my own house or moving in with a friend is not an option.

Any thoughts? Suggestions??

Great idea.

Its hard to find good decent people to live with most of the time so this way at least you can hopefully choose someone who suits your lifestyle & there's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Your landlord could throw a spanner in the works there. He/she may want to be the one that chooses who lives in their property, not you. Which is fair enough seeing as they own the place, not you.

Your lease agreement is probably going to have a clause in it that prevents subletting, so its best to check with him/her before you make any plans in that regard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Your landlord could throw a spanner in the works there. He/she may want to be the one that chooses who lives in their property, not you. Which is fair enough seeing as they own the place, not you.

Your lease agreement is probably going to have a clause in it that prevents subletting, so its best to check with him/her before you make any plans in that regard.

The other thread suggests that there are some landlords who would be okay with this, but from my experience very few will allow subletting. If there are two people in the apartment then they will want both names on the lease and they will want to interview/inspect both people personally.

I would say your best bet is to go and view apartments and be open and honest about your intentions from the start. A lot of landlords wont be happy with the idea but at least if you are honest from the start then they will know where they stand and can make a call on it.

One thing I will say for sure is that if you go along with this plan and get someone else in then make sure that you get their name added to the lease. If your name is the only name on the lease then you are soley responsible for whatever happens in the apartment and any problems that arise from the letting.

If you find a landlord who agrees to this then make sure you get that agreement in writing; be it in the lease or seperately.

djimi wrote: »
    The other thread suggests that there are some landlords who would be okay with this, but from my experience very few will allow subletting. If there are two people in the apartment then they will want both names on the lease and they will want to interview/inspect both people personally.

I would say your best bet is to go and view apartments and be open and honest about your intentions from the start. A lot of landlords wont be happy with the idea but at least if you are honest from the start then they will know where they stand and can make a call on it.

One thing I will say for sure is that if you go along with this plan and get someone else in then make sure that you get their name added to the lease. If your name is the only name on the lease then you are soley responsible for whatever happens in the apartment and any problems that arise from the letting.

If you find a landlord who agrees to this then make sure you get that agreement in writing; be it in the lease or seperately.

Nah, I wouldn't worry about it. Speaking as both a landlord and a tenant (I have an investment property) I both allow subletting and so does my landlord.

As posted in the other thread by ebixa82, all the pros are there for me as a tenant.

As a landlord I don't care that my main tenant is sub-letting. She is very thrust worthy and as long as the rent comes in on time then I'm happy. I also have a month's deposit from both.

Also because (in my case) the main tenant and second tenant do not know each other personally, the main tenant has no issue reporting any possible problems. If there was two friends living together they may not be as forthcoming. e.g. if one was smoking in the house which is forbidden in contract.

The only risk is that you have to wait a couple of weeks before you find a suitable co-tenant, for which time you will have to pay the total rent. A worth while investment imho.

• Advertisement

You or your landlord might not worry about it, but plenty out there dont like it. All Im advising is that the OP ensure that they are completely up front with their intentions from the start, get any agreement to sublet in writing from the landlord, and expect that a lot of landlords that they talk to will not be agreeable to the idea.

You or your landlord might not worry about it, but plenty out there dont like it. All Im advising is that the OP ensure that they are completely up front with their intentions from the start, get any agreement to sublet in writing from the landlord, and expect that a lot of landlords that they talk to will not be agreeable to the idea.

Out of interest, could you give a quick list of negatives for both landlord and tenant. I've had no problems so far but would like to know the possible pitfalls I could experience.

Cheers

Out of interest, could you give a quick list of negatives for both landlord and tenant. I've had no problems so far but would like to know the possible pitfalls I could experience.

Cheers

Im not a landlord so I dont know what their biggest objection to it would be, but I would imagine lack of control over who is living in the place might play a big part.

As a tenant unless you get the other person added to the lease then you are taking ful responsbility for them in the house; both for anything they might do, and financially.

I am only speaking from my experience of dealing with landlords when renting; maybe a lot of landlords would be open to this kind of arragement, but of the ones I have dealt with that is not the case.

Im not a landlord so I dont know what their biggest objection to it would be, but I would imagine lack of control over who is living in the place might play a big part.

As a tenant unless you get the other person added to the lease then you are taking ful responsbility for them in the house; both for anything they might do, and financially.

I am only speaking from my experience of dealing with landlords when renting; maybe a lot of landlords would be open to this kind of arragement, but of the ones I have dealt with that is not the case.

Is that not what the deposit is for?

Speaking as a landlord, if they mess about I have a month's deposit as security.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Thanks for the answer's....

If I am subletting the room what does that mean legally speaking? Would I bet the getting the other tenant to sign a lease? If something needs reparing I presume the landlord is still responsible and not me? Could the other tenant start giving me hassle?

I don't mind been out of cash for a while so that is not a problem - it is crucial for my mental health I live with some normal,regular folk :)

Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement