Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever had to use your gear?

Options
  • 28-03-2012 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

I was at a funeral recently and I had brought some supplies for the day.
    Water, breakfast bars, health biscuits and tissues.

However I forgot about the handshaking part of the mass. So afterwards I had to use some of the hand sanitizer from my bag in the car :o

My partner, suffering with dermatitis, had use for my moisturizer in the same bag, after using the hand sanitizer.

I've also had to use the FAK for a couple of small things over the years, plasters for small cuts, safety pins for broken bag straps etc.

So, have any of you had to use any of your emergency gear? Even for small occurances like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Often...emergency gear is very handy for when i completely forget stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

The stuff I keep in the car gets used most. I should make a specific car bob but it get used so much I can't really finalise the stuff that I should keep in it and if I did I'd have to buy a tuck to fit it all in :o.

Just been over to the uk on the ferry and used to two blankets I keep in the boot to sleep on the ferry.

Also have a mini tool kit for the car in the boot (probably have enough tools in the garage to do eveything I need on the car 10 times over - but you can never have enough 13mm spannners/sockets tools :o) and used that while away to replace both wiper blades. Turned out because a previous owner had bent the wiper arms the genuine sized replacements wouldn't fit without hitting each other so had to take the arms off (13mm spanner :)) and re-aline them in the DIY store carpark. Car tool kit is quite small, but personalised for the car and I spent some money and bought a small good quality socket set and extra bits for all the car fittings - like specific torx bits. Also included is a pair of mole/vice grips.

The folding shovel in the boot also gets an outing on the beach sometimes and is great for making industrial sized (big boys :o) sand castles, but just realised it could be handy for bait digging for survival fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

When the snow was down 2 years ago I dont drive so it was either walk home sleep about 4 hours then walk back in to work or stay in work and get 8 hours sleep Being a lazy sod I stayed in work:p I was glad of my GHB for blanket hot food/drinks spare cash change of socks and jocks phone charger (ive both in my bag an emergency charger and a normal one) and the most important thing i had to use was my ear plugs :D

At home we had a couple of power cuts over the years candles hexi stoves extra blankets/clothes were used

I also keep spare sun glasses and rain gear in my GHB and in Ireland they have been used the most :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

grapeape wrote: »
    At home we had a couple of power cuts over the years candles hexi stoves
    Careful with the stoves in poorly ventilated areas.

I use my kit all the time, even when I don't need to, untested kit is a potentially life threatening problem waiting to happen. More specifically I wander the west of Ireland hills, beaches, bogs, forests and lakes when the weather is good, sleeping under the stars and occasionally planting tasty herbs in sheltered corners so I'll know where to find them again. :D Yeah yeah I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Careful with the stoves in poorly ventilated areas.

I use my kit all the time, even when I don't need to, untested kit is a potentially life threatening problem waiting to happen. More specifically I wander the west of Ireland hills, beaches, bogs, forests and lakes when the weather is good, sleeping under the stars and occasionally planting tasty herbs in sheltered corners so I'll know where to find them again. :D Yeah yeah I know.

Perhaps one of my many dumb questions, but if your kit is tested to that extent and used regularly is it survival gear or camping gear :confused:;)

And for those using stoves indoors or anything flammable here's another warning that shouldn't really be necessary Woman suffers serious burns in kitchen petrol accident but still worth mentioning as we all do daft stuff sometimes :o.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Perhaps one of my many dumb questions, but if your kit is tested to that extent and used regularly is it survival gear or camping gear :confused:;)
    I don't really see much of a difference to be honest, survival gear is camping gear of a particular flavour, with a few exceptions (lockpick sets for example, or throwing knives, which I'm fairly accurate with by this stage). And what's not camping is hunting, like snares and fishing line.

Advertisement