Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Question About Sit-Ups

Options
  • 28-03-2012 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭

So, I recently started doing daily sit-ups. I'm just not sure if I'm doing them right though. I have my feet flat on the ground (about shoulder length apart) with my knees bent up and my hands joined behind my head.

Is this the right way to do them or is there another method that would be more effective.

Also, at the moment I'm doing about 20 a day. Is this a good amount to start out with or should I try doing a higher amount.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Why are you doing them??

Serious question.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Just to try and keep fit. Of course, they're not the only exercises I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Suas11 wrote: »
    I have my feet flat on the ground (about shoulder length apart) with my knees bent up and my hands joined behind my head.

Is this the right way to do them or is there another method that would be more effective.

Also, at the moment I'm doing about 20 a day. Is this a good amount to start out with or should I try doing a higher amount.

Thanks for any help.

The main thing wrong with that, is your hands joined behind your head. This can strain your neck. Ideally, place your fingers at your temples and do your sit-ups that way. Also, try to do 20, take a break and do another 20. I try to do something every day (cycling/jogging/weights/boxing) but no matter what I'm doing, I'll always get three sets of 50 sit ups done.

If you can't do 2 sets of 20, then do 2 sets of 10 and build it up.

Best of luck.

Just to try and keep fit. Of course, they're not the only exercises I do.

You're missing what I'm getting at - I was going to suggest that their may be similar more suitable alternatives. If they met your goals/reason behind you doing the exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Leg raises are great and much safer imo

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    You're missing what I'm getting at - I was going to suggest that their may be similar more suitable alternatives. If they met your goals/reason behind you doing the exercise.

Oh ok, sorry. I've just noticed that I've put on a bit of weight over the last few months and I'm trying to lose it again. Ideally, I would like to lose about a stone. Apart from the sit-ups I've also being doing cycling and I've started to do some dumbbell exercises.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,855 ✭✭✭billyhead

Oh ok, sorry. I've just noticed that I've put on a bit of weight over the last few months and I'm trying to lose it again. Ideally, I would like to lose about a stone. Apart from the sit-ups I've also being doing cycling and I've started to do some dumbbell exercises.

Diet and cardio training should be your priority trying to lose weight. A proper diet ensuring you eat less then you burn will ensure you lose weight. All sit ups will do is strengthen the ab muscles but won't lose the fat covering them

billyhead wrote: »
    Diet and cardio training should be your priority trying to lose weight. A proper diet ensuring you eat less then you burn will ensure you lose weight. All sit ups will do is strengthen the ab muscles but won't lose the fat covering them

Sit ups will help to burn calories though, won't they?

No.

At least not any worth talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

As stated above, not a significant amount to make a difference! They will however most likely aid in shortening your hip flexors & if you don't have an imbalance between your anetrior & posterior chain muscles already (most people do) these will aid in creating one! Diet for weight loss!

• Advertisement
Advertisement